Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's going on with Kentucky recruiting?
My two boys got looks from a bunch of Kentucky schools. The older one got a few more because he was 6'4" than the younger one. There was a familiar theme at every school they went to during recruiting. The first question from any coach, from UK and MIT to Centre College and Pikeville was "What are your SAT/ACT scores?" followed by "What is your GPA?" Then they would start wanting to see films and skills and know what accolades last. They would size them up looking at them when asking, but, academics came first. If a kid has a "C" average taking consumer math and wood working then that tells a lot to a coach about how much drive and heart a boy has. A kid lacking in grades or level of classes taken had best be a superstar if he wants to get into college and play ball. Best advice to any kid interested in going to college and playing sports. Better pass on the cupcake classes and better get those scores and grades up. College, even an NAIA school, is no cupcake. It takes work and dedication on the field AND in the classroom to achieve this and to stay in college all four years or better.
I LOVE to see kids succeed in life. Tired of seeing kids go down the wrong path.
Just think about this Kentucky had 6 Qb on scholarship this year and a wide receiver is our Qb!!!! Make room Kentucky for some Kentucky Qb kids. TongueirateSho
It seems like Craig Yeast has recruited a lot of in state kids at KY Wesleyan. I know Centre College offers a lot of in state talent, from Lexington at least. I know a couple of eastern kentucky kids have received offers from them recently
I know of a high school in Georgia that U of C has literally offered scholarships to all of their starters.
64SUR Wrote:Just think about this Kentucky had 6 Qb on scholarship this year and a wide receiver is our Qb!!!! Make room Kentucky for some Kentucky Qb kids. TongueirateSho

I wouldn't trade Bowden for anyone but look no further than Minnesota. They played most of the year in the Top 15. Their QB? From Ryle High School.
Corbin Wrote:I wouldn't trade Bowden for anyone but look no further than Minnesota. They played most of the year in the Top 15. Their QB? From Ryle High School.

And the only D1 school from Kentucky Tanner Morgan got an offer from was U of L... makes sense...
Has anyone helped there kid or kids and make videos and sent them to the colleges? My next question is, what was the response and did it work? I personally have not. As far as the athletes test scores, I didn't think about that. I definitely see that would be a area to work on as well for the kids. I guess too comes the athleticism and strength. I wonder what weight room numbers they have to be at as well?
single shot Wrote:And the only D1 school from Kentucky Tanner Morgan got an offer from was U of L... makes sense...

Tanner also didnt fit UK's offense at the time either. So why would they recruit him?
plantmanky Wrote:Tanner also didnt fit UK's offense at the time either. So why would they recruit him?

You mean he wasn’t a wide receiver?..:biggrin:
This whole situation in my opinion boils down to the recruiting services and their unfair bias against Kentucky players. All star teams from Kentucky’s middle school ranks have in the past been inferior to teams in other states. This has been due to an overall lack of talent. All this has dramatically changed in the last several years as Team Kentucky has made the FBU elite 8 several times and is starting to consistently beat Tennessee in the future star games. Kentucky talent is now owning teams from Tennessee, Mississippi, and Missouri. They are also beating the best teams out of Georgia and Florida. I have witnessed KY players in High School dominate kids from Ohio and Indiana at combines and the recruiting services will not rank the KY kids and give the others 3 stars. This comes from an ingrained belief that there are only a certain number of kids from each state worthy of those rankings. KY usually gets about 15 ranked kids 3 star or higher while surrounding states get over 30. That means there are 15 or so kids each year better than their out of state counterparts that don’t get ranked. Another issue is that teams like UK will offer kids with potential that are not so good. Other states don’t do this as much leaving less spots for kids who are better. College coaches are judged by their recruiting rankings and out of state kids rank higher so they get picked over KY kids that are better but are unranked. Kids like Ethan Wofford, Wilson Kelley, Darion Dearinger, Justice Thompson, and Austin Gough remain unranked while destroying 3 stars at combines and camps. Until these recruiting services start judging our kids Fairly this will remain a problem.
Kentucky doesn’t know what there offense is from year to year.
When you lose a player to Clemson right out of your back door, we will stay in the bottom of the SEC East.
Kentucky should get every player out of Lexington school that are D1 recruits!!
Craze JACKET man Wrote:Kentucky doesn’t know what there offense is from year to year.
When you lose a player to Clemson right out of your back door, we will stay in the bottom of the SEC East.
If you had an offer from Clemson wouldn’t you go?
Bull got out! Wrote:Has anyone helped there kid or kids and make videos and sent them to the colleges? My next question is, what was the response and did it work? I personally have not. As far as the athletes test scores, I didn't think about that. I definitely see that would be a area to work on as well for the kids. I guess too comes the athleticism and strength. I wonder what weight room numbers they have to be at as well?

The answer to your video question is yes, I have.

I have done all of Ethan's recruiting since Day 1 going all the way back to when he was in the 8th grade.

Here's what my process was and it has worked out great for him. Starting his freshman year I would make a short bio for him addressing all his achievements in football up to that point. Each year his bio got bigger. That's the first thing I would send to coaches along with every highlight film I made for him after every game.

At the end of every year I'd make his season highlight film and send it to them with all his best plays throughout that year. And I did that every year.

This year, his senior year, I just sent his bio out again along with his senior year highlight film to every coach I am following on Twiiter. I also post all this on all his social media sites.

I'll say this, start them young! I'm sure folks on my social media friends list think all I'm doing is bragging on my kid and I dont care. But that's not the case. Every single time Ethan does something like get an award, get selected to an all star or all state team, get something from a college, I post it. Not to brag, but to get it out there so coaches can see it. You never know who's looking. This works! I do it on mine, Ethan's, and even his moms social media sites. I POST EVERYTHING! I learned a long time ago to not worry about what people think. 75% of recruiting today is done on the internet, including getting exposure and getting noticed.

Take Twitter for example. I've been doing this for over 4 years now for him so I got hundreds of coaches following him on Twitter, at all levels, from D1 to NAIA. Everytime I post one of his accomplishments they see it. Some will send him a message, some won't. But it gets their attention.

Trust me when I tell you it's a job! I've spent thousands of hours recruiting for him, thousands of dollars taking him to camps, combines, and visits, and it gets stressful and aggravating. But it has paid off. He's already got a few full scholarships and we won't have to pay a dime for his college. There will be times when you think is it worth it. And the answer to that is absolutely YES.

Information I would write in his bio:

I always start with his name, where he goes to school, what grade he's in, and his GPA/ACT. Then I'd add all his accomplishments. All State, All District, All Mountain teams he was selected to. Then what colleges he's visited, all camps and combines he's attended, any awards he's received, what offers he's got stuff like that. Build your son a bio and make his highlight film on Hudl then get on Twitter and follow every coach you find and send them all this information and I promise you, if his highlights are good and he has a solid bio, you'll get responses.

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to explain how I done it and hope that someone reads this and it helps them down the road. And I hope I answered you questions. But if you start this, be in it for the long haul. It's going to cost money, take a lot of time and effort, and get really frustrating but I promise you, in the end, if you put in the time there's nothing better in this world than when you see the smile on your kids face and the happiness he'll show when he starts getting some attention and gets that first offer. And as a parent, there's nothing in the world more satisfying than seeing your child succeed and be happy.
Also to add to that, make sure in his bio after his name, grade he's in, and where he goes to school, you put his height and weight somewhere in there.
#55 PirateFan, Thanks for all the good pointers. Very good information right there.
A couple points
1.) In regards to the Kentucky players not rated high by recruiting services, I see the opposite. The number of 3-5 ⭐️ kids in Kentucky over the last 5-7 years has grown quite a bit. With that being said there are only two Power 5 schools in Kentucky and not enough Power 5 talent for a significant portion of those rosters to come from Kentucky. It’s just facts.
2.) I understand the nature of this thread is about all schools in Kentucky and how to get recruited by them BUT, the back handed comments about UK are laughable. They’ve recruited better in Stoops tenure than they’ve maybe ever had. AND they’ve also emphasized, especially the last few years, in keeping in state talent in state. They just signed a top 20 class with multiple in state kids.
MERRY CHRISTMAS YOU JOLLY BUNCH OF @sshole’s!!!!!
Craze JACKET man Wrote:Kentucky doesn’t know what there offense is from year to year.

I’d go to Clemson too can’t blame the player for going to the better school...
I was at an Alabama game this season and they had 2 Ky boys on the starting roster, Go big blue.��
PHSFarmersMarket Wrote:If you had an offer from Clemson wouldn’t you go?

If it came down to UK and Clemson...is that even a serious question...it’s like people getting mad at Damien Harris for going to Bama...look where that got him...
Brooks4Prez Wrote:A couple points
1.) In regards to the Kentucky players not rated high by recruiting services, I see the opposite. The number of 3-5 ⭐️ kids in Kentucky over the last 5-7 years has grown quite a bit. With that being said there are only two Power 5 schools in Kentucky and not enough Power 5 talent for a significant portion of those rosters to come from Kentucky. It’s just facts.
2.) I understand the nature of this thread is about all schools in Kentucky and how to get recruited by them BUT, the back handed comments about UK are laughable. They’ve recruited better in Stoops tenure than they’ve maybe ever had. AND they’ve also emphasized, especially the last few years, in keeping in state talent in state. They just signed a top 20 class with multiple in state kids.

They only emphasized it when Kentucky kids started dropping them...Before that Kentucky kids where kept on the back burner while they shopped for higher rated prospects...I’ll admit to Stoops recruiting acumen but he needs to stay out of Grans ear and let him run the offense or hire someone he can trust to run it and leave them alone...They’ve capitalized on Petrino making a shit sandwich out of Louisville and started recruiting some of those kids that UK normally doesn’t get otherwise they wouldn’t be recruiting Kentucky nearly as hard and it’s only a matter of time before those kids are gonna start sticking with Louisville again...Either way someone needs to show them how to develop a Qb and maybe they’ll get a few to stick around till they graduate...
Hound05 Wrote:MERRY CHRISTMAS YOU JOLLY BUNCH OF @sshole’s!!!!!

Well look at you all full of Christmas cheer...
#55PirateFan Wrote:Also to add to that, make sure in his bio after his name, grade he's in, and where he goes to school, you put his height and weight somewhere in there.

Saw your kid on the WYMT 606 show about the mountain teams in the FB finals. Very well spoken kid, he'll go far. You've raised a fine young man.