Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's going on with Kentucky recruiting?
Got a good topic that we all should discuss and see if we can find out what or where the problem is, if there is such a problem. It's the question, why are alot of Kentucky's very good football players having to leave and go to other State Colleges and Universities instead of staying home and playing at the next level?

I started this thread because it was kinda brought up in "Coach Elder going to Moeller" thread and thought it needed a thread of it's own.

I'm going to use my son and his experience with Kentucky recruiting as an example. Now I'm not talking about the two big Kentucky schools, UK and Louisville. We all know they recruit all over. I'm talking about the FCS, D-2, D-3, and NAIA levels. There are some very good football players leaving this state every year because they are simply not being recruited at home. Why is this?

Take my son Ethan for example. Ethan is 6'1/6'2" 280lbs. We already know what he isn't. He's not what most of the big D-1 schools look for in offensive linemen. He's simply to short. We've been told that and have come to accept it. My problem is the lack of attention he has gotten the last 3-4 years from the FCS, D-2 and below schools in the state. Ethan has 13 offers and only 2 of those were from Kentucky. Georgetown and Union College. Why? Ethan is no All American but he has made All State and All District teams, has plenty of other awards, and is known throughout the state as one of the better interior linemen in the 2020 class. But yet he hasn't drawn any attention from Kentucky except for two NAIA schools. Why is that? Does anyone have the answer?

Like I said, I'm only using Ethan as an example. Im talking for all our players. There are many Kentucky high school football players, some better than Ethan, having to leave the state every year to play at the next level because their not attracting any attention from in state schools. And we have some great players here in the state every year that are not power five players but none the less are very good players.

Take the D-2 Mountain East Conference as another example. It's made up of schools from West Virginia, Ohio, Virginia, North Carolina, and Maryland. It is quickly becoming one of the better D-2 conference's in the nation and your seeing it all the time on social media now where their starting to offer more and more of our kids scholarships and more and more are accepting them because they just aren't receiving any attention at home. Half of Ethan's offers has come from the MEC and more than likely that's where he will be playing come next fall. Imagine what some of the smaller programs in Kentucky would be like if they just realized they could stay home and build their teams. UPIKE is 25 minutes from where we live. A NAIA school. Since his freshman year, four years ago, they have not shown any interest in him until recently when he bumped into one of them in the hallway at Belfry and they told him he could come over and check them out if "he wanted to". Lol!

Am I the only one that's seeing this? Is there anyone else out there that's having the same issue with State Colleges and Universities? I don't know, maybe my boy is just not good enough to play anywhere in Kentucky at the next level. At least that's what were starting to think. I think he is.

This is not about my son. I used him just as an example for all other kids like him not getting "local attention ". Just thought this might be a good topic to discuss. Maybe I'm the only one that's thinking this way and there's no problem at all. Who knows!
That is weird considering NAIA mass recruit. Have you sent film? Called recruiting coordinator? Position coach? I will tell you from experience if you don't call, speak to someone your not going to get far. They rarely respond to email, and they are get loads of film. You got to put the name in they're head so to speak, and if your just waiting for them to call you it's going to go know were. Look at how many high schools are in Kentucky,. And surrounding states. Most college have one person recruiting a region. You got to simple be like a agent for your kid. Example I know Somerset has 5-6 being recruited to a bunch of schools in Kentucky, and most have a visit coming to Upike that weren't getting looks untill this year. Simple they won state etc., So it put them in front of recruiters. I know a lineman from Corbin short, aggressive lineman has a visit at Upike. I also know parents that say " why not my Johnny," but they've haven't made film, contacted colleges, been to camps, etc. My point is you need to push your kid through, or he'll simple miss out because they don't just show up wanting your kid unless they know who he is. Good luck.
Idk what 55PirateFan did or didn't do but I think his point was made that only 2 out of 13 schools that offered were in state. So obviously schools took notice. Just not the closer ones. It don't make sense why you'd need to do more for those schools to gain interest than others farther away. Which is the point of the thread I think.
1st of all, ever Kentucky high school player has there focus on D1 schools! and many of the NAIA, D2 and D3 schools are wasting there time and money by recruiting players till after the national signing date. Because ever player is waiting on that big time offer and it doesn’t happen for 90% of the kids.
Smaller colleges have a limited recruiting budget and they wait till after that 90% of the kids realize there is no offer coming from the D1 and the FCS. Reality sets in late February and then high school players are open minded to the smaller level schools.
NAIA and D2and D3 coaches will start coming around in the next 3 to 4 weeks.
JMO
I think you posted a good conversation, Thank You for your honesty. It’s post like this that I feel that this forum needs more of. I’ll chime in when I get home this evening.
red r8r Wrote:Idk what 55PirateFan did or didn't do but I think his point was made that only 2 out of 13 schools that offered were in state. So obviously schools took notice. Just not the closer ones. It don't make sense why you'd need to do more for those schools to gain interest than others farther away. Which is the point of the thread I think.

That's exactly my point. My "little Johnny" has plenty of film. Lol. My question is if other schools hundreds of miles away are finding him then why isn't the one right around the curve?
Craze JACKET man Wrote:1st of all, ever Kentucky high school player has there focus on D1 schools! and many of the NAIA, D2 and D3 schools are wasting there time and money by recruiting players till after the national signing date. Because ever player is waiting on that big time offer and it doesn’t happen for 90% of the kids.
Smaller colleges have a limited recruiting budget and they wait till after that 90% of the kids realize there is no offer coming from the D1 and the FCS. Reality sets in late February and then high school players are open minded to the smaller level schools.
NAIA and D2and D3 coaches will start coming around in the next 3 to 4 weeks.
JMO

Agreed. I think alot of kids miss out on a quality atheletic experience and a sound college education bc they are holding out for that D1 offer. Kids dont realize that the college degree they will attain doesnt say D1 or NAIA. Theres a kid from Raceland that will be in Louisville as a PWO, instead of taking a scholarship from a D2 or NAIA team. Everyone chooses their own path and I wish him the best, but itd be a tough decision for me to make in that regaurd.
At first when I saw this, I was thinking, man UK racked up on ky players this year. But as far as others I don’t know. The only thing I can think of is their knowledge of said player. Did they receive film? Etc. they usually have a lower budget than other big schools so it does take some coaches and parents to help I would think, I’m not sure. I do know Cumberland takes a lot of corbin players, Union not so much. But Cumberland I believe is trying to become D2 so they are expanding their reach on recruiting somewhat. I really don’t know for sure to answer your question
I am going to contribute to this thread, I just have to decide how open and honest I should be. I am leaving for work shortly and have a long drive ahead so I will have plenty of time to think about this.

This is a great thread topic 55, looking forward to everyone's input and thoughts.
I am going to make a very unpopular statement, but I do believe it is an honest one and lends credence to why we are seeing a downward trend in rural KY kids playing at the next level.

The biggest issue with recruiting kids from Eastern Kentucky has never been about talent, it has been about sticking it through in college.

Unfortunately, I would say there have been more EKY kids who stepped foot on a college campus to play football that have given up and came back home than there have been kids who finished out their careers.

I think on the whole, the exposure of Kentucky kids statewide is actually on an upward swing. The accessibility to films and exposure has allowed some kids to get noticed that would not otherwise have that chance, and additionally I think it has let kids who would otherwise be prospects who only a handful of schools would offer have now turned into kids who numerous major programs pursue.

It's just kids from rural Kentucky who seem to be getting overlooked or have to go the extra mile to validate themselves.

Having a kid take a spot on your team is a big deal in college now at every level. When someone is taking a spot on your roster that means that another kid is squeezed out. I think the higher rate of attrition is scaring some of these schools. They don't want to pass on a kid from somewhere else only to have the kid from EKY or WKY leave the program in two years.
It used to be 6'2" 280 was big but now all it does is get you looks from smaller schools. There are lots of kids all over KY in this size range, so you gotta have talent. Mayfield had a kid last year 6'4" 280 and he got a Murray ride.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I am going to make a very unpopular statement, but I do believe it is an honest one and lends credence to why we are seeing a downward trend in rural KY kids playing at the next level.

The biggest issue with recruiting kids from Eastern Kentucky has never been about talent, it has been about sticking it through in college.

Unfortunately, I would say there have been more EKY kids who stepped foot on a college campus to play football that have given up and came back home than there have been kids who finished out their careers.

I think on the whole, the exposure of Kentucky kids statewide is actually on an upward swing. The accessibility to films and exposure has allowed some kids to get noticed that would not otherwise have that chance, and additionally I think it has let kids who would otherwise be prospects who only a handful of schools would offer have now turned into kids who numerous major programs pursue.

It's just kids from rural Kentucky who seem to be getting overlooked or have to go the extra mile to validate themselves.

Having a kid take a spot on your team is a big deal in college now at every level. When someone is taking a spot on your roster that means that another kid is squeezed out. I think the higher rate of attrition is scaring some of these schools. They don't want to pass on a kid from somewhere else only to have the kid from EKY or WKY leave the program in two years.

This makes sense to me. I've seen it happen quite a few times in not only football but basketball as well. I think there are high schools where a certain sport is king and the good players are pushed through with no challenge. It only hurts them at the next level. A scholarship is only as good as the grades the kid can get. And in many cases a straight A student in high school becomes lost in college. So as to the point of this thread, it's possible Kentucky schools have noticed this as well. I don't know enough to say this is for sure what's going on but it makes sense.
Any offer is a good offer. Doesn't matter if it is Kentucky or Timbucktu
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I am going to make a very unpopular statement, but I do believe it is an honest one and lends credence to why we are seeing a downward trend in rural KY kids playing at the next level.

IMO it's just not an eastern Kentucky issue, it's an issue no matter where you're from. My freshman college class had over 30 freshman that made it through the first year of college, only 6 returned the following year. There were kids from eastern Kentucky, but there was also some from Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky state championship teams that didn't come back. Several that didn't return was all state players. College is a huge leap for 18-19 year olds who have never been away from the nest to all off a sudden be the king of their own domain. Many kids just don't make it for a whole slew of reasons. Some are very talented, and some find out they wasn't as good as they thought they were or told they were. Some can't afford it even with what the small school gives them and they worry about their family struggling back home. Some go absolutely buck wild, and so on and so on. This was over 25 years ago that I witnessed this and it's still a problem and probably always will be.
So you're 30 minutes up the road from UPike and they didn't offer? Something isn't right here. Not saying it's anything bad, your son seems to be a great young man from everything you've said, but there's got to be more to the story than schools just not wanting Kentucky kids.
EKU has hit the nail on the head. These smaller schools are not as willing to take a chance on an Eastern Ky kid. There chances of keeping a kid from Georgia/Alabama etc is much greater . These kids are further away from home and are not as likely to jump in the car and go home after a tough summer practice. I have actually heard this come out of the mouths of some of these coaches.
RoShamBo Wrote:So you're 30 minutes up the road from UPike and they didn't offer? Something isn't right here. Not saying it's anything bad, your son seems to be a great young man from everything you've said, but there's got to be more to the story than schools just not wanting Kentucky kids.

I don't know if there does have to be more to the story. Some colleges think they have the upper hand because of their location to someone (Belfry/UPike), others think that he may be beyond the possibility of them signing him. When Matt Ballard was at Union College he recruited several kids from Florida & Georgia. Several of those players had "baggage" but he seemed to have the mind set that they were better. Georgetown & Centre at one time was heavily focused on Northern KY & Cincinnati area and maybe still are. Campbellsville use to recruit Kentucky very heavily, but I don't know about now. I would think Craig Yeast at KY Wesleyn would love to have #55 on his team. KY Christian has several players from out of state as well. IMO some coaches get over focused on certain areas and ignore what is in their back door.

I never thought about this. I wouldn’t say it’s unpopular because it’s the truth. I don’t know if that’s the reason they aren’t recruited but what you stated is a fact. I can name more people that quit than finished.

I also think- now in recent years it’s changed some for the better as far as ky kids- but there is simply better talent in other states. And those colleges do recruit a lot of different areas. But let’s say on the highest level, you take the best player from Ky compared to the best from Florida or Texas, majority of the time the other states talent is just better. I think that trend might stay true in the Lower levels as well. Not to say our kids aren’t talented because they are!!! And that is starting to change more as most have seen, like this year. The state is filled with legit talent.

I tbink resources are key too. Smaller schools don’t have the recruiters majors do. So it takes some coaches and parents doing a lot of it. I hate to sound like no other coaches do it because I know that’s not the case, but coach haddix at corbin will go out of his way to find a school locally if that’s what they want to look at a kid. He’ll send tape, set up visits, whatever..... for smaller schools that’s what it takes. I’ll use 55’s kid for example. He’s legit. I’ve watched him. No denying that. But a school, say Lindsey Wilson, that’s a far drive for them to watch a player with a budget. They also get different news than and sports information over there than we do in EKy. I’m sure if schools like that could see him and others like him, or had tape they’d be interested. And I know we have the internet now, but still, resources and time......

This is just my opinion, I’m not a coach so can’t say for sure. But I think that’s a lot of it. That and just getting the kids name out there kind of like our coach does for any player who seriously wants to play at the next level. I’ll be honest, there are several kids I’ve seen this year because of BGR. If they weren’t talked about on here I never would have. And I KNOW those kids can play at some level.
red r8r Wrote:Idk what 55PirateFan did or didn't do but I think his point was made that only 2 out of 13 schools that offered were in state. So obviously schools took notice. Just not the closer ones. It don't make sense why you'd need to do more for those schools to gain interest than others farther away. Which is the point of the thread I think.

On the surface I agree and that makes sense. But a lot of variables to that. Maybe lower budgets here in KY? Better recruiters? Money available? Let’s face it the schools here in ky on the lower level aren’t exactly smaller football powerhouses. G-town has had some success and I think Pikeville. I don’t know I’m just playing the what if game? Haha. I KNOW THEY ARE MISSING ON SOME GREAT KIDS!!
I think there are a ton of valid points on this discussion.

Sometimes it also boils down to some places have dealt with certain schools and have never had much luck with kids panning out so they recruit elsewhere. There’s too many variables in recruiting. I hope the best for all your young men playing because if they have the talent, they can play.

Right now, my kid is in 8th grade. He’s 5’10 175 pounds. What I see is, if he’s going to make it to the college level, he’s gotta get way faster. And if he’s not going to get faster, he better grow about 5+ inches and get bulkier. I’m not sure which is likelier if either. But if any school comes calling by the time he’s a senior, I hope he makes it at any level.

Really good conversation, you all. More feedback, please!
This is just food for thought: How does a college get to a high school senior ready to enter college? Just a example like #55PirateFan is saying. Does he have to win a state title to get a look. Does he have to be 50 times better than all his teammates or opponents to get noticed. Does he have to have a parent taking his best film and making him out to be a freak on the field. Or does he just give it his all and then after his senior year, he gets a mailbox full of letters because he is wanted. Here is my natural way of thinking. Surely we live in KY and you know every college in KY especially the ones very close to your high school has information on the local kids. Surely they have the prospects already tailored to fit there brand. They are just waiting to see all the final stats before they start making there offers. Then like a lot of kids, most get no offers. Is there a trade secret. Make this high production film, as many copies as you like. Get them in the hands of the schools your kid is interested in. Camps, go to camps. Go to every camp so they can be seen. I think everyone who has a kid who has played at some point has thought about every bit of this. I know a kid who was like what I mentioned, he was big and powerful and went to the camps and got noticed. Got the ride of a lifetime. Never played hardly any in college. He will always be remembered whether he rode the bench or played for going to that college. I don't know how the recruiters process work. Do they just go after the kids that they get a tip about from a coach or friend or parent. Do they have a system of criteria that eliminates 90% of the field before they start even looking. Do they pay attention to the all state list and honorable mention. What is the answer? I have read all the comments, I agree with Houndo5, Haddix goes above and beyond for our kids. I cant thank him enough. I think EKUalum05 couldn't have said it better, that was the way it was when I graduated. Kids went to school and came back home lol. RealBadMan I think may have the most solid answer, any offer is a good offer. I know ultimately we all wont our kids to play for the biggest program, but the smallest in the end can give them a degree. But the question is what is going on or how does it actually work? I cant answer that. Maybe like Craze Jacket Man said and Hound05 its resources. Who actually knows. Then like Snakesnot said size of a kid. This seems to be what I hear like a broken record. Talented enough but just no tall enough. For me I have came to the reality that in football and on the line, that a kids size has a lot to do with it. But then wait a minute, we live in time where information is at our fingertips. If there is film on YouTube watch it, if they have film on Facebook or twitter you can watch it, if there is highlights on Hudl fand you get access, you can watch it. So in one way, how much resources does a recruiter need to get on a free KHSAA website to look at a roster, watch youtube, hudle, or pick up a phone and make a call to a coach, google the all state teams and honorable mention, and look at the polls and just listen to the message boards rights. Then watch the free championship games on youtube when they pop up on there and look for free. I don't see it costing too much lol. Now, im just saying, I don't know what a recruiter does and how they come up with the kids. I know if I were a recruiter, there wouldn't be a kid in my local area that I wouldn't be all over especially if I knew they wanted to go to school. I guess that's why im not a recruiter lol. Again, Food for thought: Thanks #55PirateFan for bringing up a good topic, I think this is one that hits home for most of us with kids with a dream to go to school.

I’ve heard this from more than one of the coaches during different regimes at EKU and the results are always the same, they try and recruit primarily outside the state and end up getting their asses fired because they can’t win...Drake Jackson is an OL at Kentucky he was ever bit of 6’1 6’2 ish and 280 ish out of high school and had offers to multiple D1 schools...To say Ethan Wolford or Wilson Kelly aren’t good enough to get a full ride offer from EKU is laughable and the stigma they have created with Kentucky kids now is kids would just about go play in China before fooling with them...
CowboyDad Wrote:I think there are a ton of valid points on this discussion.

Sometimes it also boils down to some places have dealt with certain schools and have never had much luck with kids panning out so they recruit elsewhere. There’s too many variables in recruiting. I hope the best for all your young men playing because if they have the talent, they can play.

Right now, my kid is in 8th grade. He’s 5’10 175 pounds. What I see is, if he’s going to make it to the college level, he’s gotta get way faster. And if he’s not going to get faster, he better grow about 5+ inches and get bulkier. I’m not sure which is likelier if either. But if any school comes calling by the time he’s a senior, I hope he makes it at any level.

Really good conversation, you all. More feedback, please!

Sad thing about it is SIZE MATTERS. Seen a lot of good athletes that could probably play a lot of D1 get snubbed because of their size. Then go on to dominate the Lower level. Can’t Change what they want and I understand the size thing from their perspective I’m just saying.

I want to see a kids HEART! Obviously he’s gotta have the skill or raw talent. But if you give me a kid that’s big and talented and possibly lazy or takes plays off or selfish etc. vs a kid avg size for the spot and same talent but full of drive and heart. I take the heart. It takes coaches getting to know who they are going after though. A lot of time involved but that’s what it takes for success

Something I'm not quite understanding is why do some people advocate so hard for these scholarships for certain programs. NAIA schools will not give full scholarships. DIII do not give full scholarships. Morehead St. doesn't give athletic scholarships.

How many kids "dream" of playing college football, gain a $2000 scholarship to Union or LWC or KCU or wherever, and owe $22,375 left for the semester?
single shot Wrote:I’ve heard this from more than one of the coaches during different regimes at EKU and the results are always the same, they try and recruit primarily outside the state and end up getting their asses fired because they can’t win...Drake Jackson is an OL at Kentucky he was ever bit of 6’1 6’2 ish and 280 ish out of high school and had offers to multiple D1 schools...To say Ethan Wolford or Wilson Kelly aren’t good enough to get a full ride offer from EKU is laughable and the stigma they have created with Kentucky kids now is kids would just about go play in China before fooling with them...

Drake 6'2" 290lbs as a hs senior is now all-SEC center this season WORKED HIS ARSE OFF WITH CORE/SPEED AMD CONDITIONING for years. And still does it w/kids willing to learn at Champions in Nicholasville. After him, his brother Dane 6'0" 280lbs (North TX) has and is still doing the same. He will enroll this coming semester.

EKU has done that in the past. Don't offer many/if any local kids and try to get KY kids to walk-on to save schollies and boost quality numbers. I also know for a fact, it's what they've always done. Maybe all FCS teams do it?!?!

But this post is spot on.
Real Badman Wrote:Something I'm not quite understanding is why do some people advocate so hard for these scholarships for certain programs. NAIA schools will not give full scholarships. DIII do not give full scholarships. Morehead St. doesn't give athletic scholarships.

How many kids "dream" of playing college football, gain a $2000 scholarship to Union or LWC or KCU or wherever, and owe $22,375 left for the semester?

For some kids this is just fine for them and I'm not knocking that choice. It's an honor to have an offer, any offer...but sometimes it's just not worth it to kids.

I can't say I blame them.

There is a fine line and a decision to make. The choice either way isn't wrong, but it's a choice nonetheless. And a difficult one to say the least.
Some really great responses on here. I was afraid it would be a "dead thread" when I thought about posting it but it's been just the opposite. Some GREAT information being put out that could very well help some of the parents going forward.

And to EKUAlums point. He is spot on as far as, EKU for example, being afraid to recruit Eastern Kentucky because of the attrition rate here lately. I'm not going to mention any names or a particular school but just this past year alone EKU lost 3-4 recruits from the same Eastern Kentucky high school they recruited them from. Now its possible it was from injuries or something else as to the reason they left but they still left and set the EKU program behind. No doubt they look at that and make decisions in the future based on that. Is it the kids fault 2 years down the road what the previous athletes did? Certainly not, but it does make the University take a step back, rethink, and possibly go somewhere else because of trust and commitment issues. And who could blame them? When these schools recruit and get commitments they plan on having those players for the next four years. Then when a couple players suddenly leave, especially from the same area or the same school, before fulfilling their commitment it definitely leaves a bad taste. Then schools get the mind set of the old "fool me once" saying. And I believe that is what's happening.

But like I said, so far, this has been a great discussion thread and a very helpful one. It's finally nice to have a discussion without all the name calling and "keyboard threats"! Lol
Real Badman Wrote:Something I'm not quite understanding is why do some people advocate so hard for these scholarships for certain programs. NAIA schools will not give full scholarships. DIII do not give full scholarships. Morehead St. doesn't give athletic scholarships.

Something I didn't know that I found out during Ethan's recruitment is that D-2 schools very rarely give 100% full scholarships. 95% of the team is made up of kids either playing on partial scholarships or a year by year basis scholarship. With Ethan he's been blessed, so far, and all D-2 schools that have recruited him have offered him the full ride. But I got to talking and getting information from some coaches and was shocked when I was told this by a few coaches. I honestly thought that 80-90% of D-2 football players were full scholarship athletes but that's not at all the case. It's just the opposite. One coach told me that he had been head coach for just 4 years and Ethan was just the 3rd player in that entire 4 year span that he's offered a full ride. Like I said, I was stunned when I found this out.

So there's some more information for some people that may be useful down the road. If your son only receives a partial scholarship from a D-2 school don't take it as a slap in the face because undoubtedly it's the norm.
#55PirateFan Wrote:Something I didn't know that I found out during Ethan's recruitment is that D-2 schools very rarely give 100% full scholarships. 95% of the team is made up of kids either playing on partial scholarships or a year by year basis scholarship. With Ethan he's been blessed, so far, and all D-2 schools that have recruited him have offered him the full ride. But I got to talking and getting information from some coaches and was shocked when I was told this by a few coaches. I honestly thought that 80-90% of D-2 football players were full scholarship athletes but that's not at all the case. It's just the opposite. One coach told me that he had been head coach for just 4 years and Ethan was just the 3rd player in that entire 4 year span that he's offered a full ride. Like I said, I was stunned when I found this out.

So there's some more information for some people that may be useful down the road. If your son only receives a partial scholarship from a D-2 school don't take it as a slap in the face because undoubtedly it's the norm.

Correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t all schollys year by year basis? I just remember Calipari talking about it trying to get it changed.
Here’s the way I look at it, and I’ll leave it at that. If the kid is good enough. He’ll get a full ride somewhere. If not, then it is what it is. As far as these Kentucky schools, they are missing out on some great kids from their home states. Maybe they do think it’s better to give full rides to kids out of state and partial to in state kids. I just know they are missing out on some good ones doing so, like In a case like wolford, he deserves a full ride somewhere. He’s got the talent and put in the work. I wish KY schools would realize this and keep these boys home but.....