Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2A Pass Interference at the end
You can go all over this internet and see different takes on this, BGP, Catsillustrated has a thread on it. You got Mayfield folks and Somerset folks giving their views. I have yet to see a Somerset fan say they were very fortunate to get that call. I know if it was reversed I would say we were very fortunate. While there was some contact there was no shove, throw down or impediment. You can slow that video down, stop it, start it, whatever. I've watched high school football for 50 yrs, I like calls on the field that are right even against my teams and when there not, you just live with them. Most think because a defender and a receiver have some contact it's a foul on the defender but that's not always the case. Nothing said on here is going to change anything, Somerset is a worthy Champion.
In high school football, every pass by rule is catchable. I didn't think Mayfield had a chance to get back in the game but they did. I didn't think Somerset had a chance to go nearly the length of the field and win they did. The ball was in the air and the Mayfield player made contact no way to know how hard the contact was when viewed in real time one time on the field. Lots of calls are made and missed, and most times they don't matter this one did, either way it could have been called someone would think they lost because of the call. You come away from losses and wins like this with either an empty feeling or a oh my we won as the refs run off the field.
This will not mar or tarnish our title. We will not let it. There was a fumble on the goal line that was clear and recovered by Somerset. It was then overturned and the next play resulted in a touchdown. There is something for everyone. Take that TD away and the PI/NON PI is no issue.
BJN0502 Wrote:This will not mar or tarnish our title. We will not let it. There was a fumble on the goal line that was clear and recovered by Somerset. It was then overturned and the next play resulted in a touchdown. There is something for everyone. Take that TD away and the PI/NON PI is no issue.

Seriouly..our first so called fumble? If thats what ur talking about, i keep hearing about this fumble.... show me the vid that the ball was out before he hit the ground.. they replayed it 3 times on the jumbotron in the stadium after the first replay it was overturned. Not at all saying the refs reversed it bc of watching the replay , indefinitely it showed the ball was ripped outta his hands as the running back was on the ground. The play was reversed when the judge that could clearly see it happen voiced his opinion.. the fumble by Somerset qb was indeed a fumble but was rulled down, an im glad that picture is there to prove the argument..an note that somerset scored on next play.. i wanna see a replay of the second mayfield fumble an the play where they said bubba was outta bounds catching ball at goal line
ontopofthewest Wrote:Seriouly..our first so called fumble? If thats what ur talking about, i keep hearing about this fumble.... show me the vid that the ball was out before he hit the ground.. they replayed it 3 times on the jumbotron in the stadium after the first replay it was overturned. Not at all saying the refs reversed it bc of watching the replay , indefinitely it showed the ball was ripped outta his hands as the running back was on the ground. The play was reversed when the judge that could clearly see it happen voiced his opinion.. the fumble by Somerset qb was indeed a fumble but was rulled down, an im glad that picture is there to prove the argument..an note that somerset scored on next play.. i wanna see a replay of the second mayfield fumble an the play where they said bubba was outta bounds catching ball at goal line

So every call that went Mayfield's way was correct and every call that went Somerset's way was incorrect, gotcha.

I'm so sorry you feel cheated. Your kids played a great game and I didn't hear a bit of crying about calls from them or Mayfield's coaching staff. But then again they seemed to have respect for their opponent and the effort given on the field, unlike you.
Walt Longmire Wrote:So every call that went Mayfield's way was correct and every call that went Somerset's way was incorrect, gotcha.

I'm so sorry you feel cheated. Your kids played a great game and I didn't hear a bit of crying about calls from them or Mayfield's coaching staff. But then again they seemed to have respect for their opponent and the effort given on the field, unlike you.

I over these guys. Over it. We won. Its over. You can't change it. Would this be as controversial if it didn't happen to Mayfield? Maybe, but probably not. I honestly give no 💩's anymore. We got it. We were the better team. Injuries happen. Bad calls happen. We didn't rip you off. Geeze...you people are maddening. Yes be hurt for your players. Yes wonder what could have happened, but stop trying to take the joy away from Somerset. We didn't kick or punch anyone. We didn't hand money to a ref. We just showed up and played. Now here comes the "shut up, it was wrong and we should have won" crap. Here comes the "we never said you didn't deserve to win" Did you say any of it directly...no, but you are beating around the Bush, which is just as bad and definitely more annoying. RIP me. RIP my team. RIP the refs. RIP whatever you want to RIP, but that score still says Somerset 34 Mayfield 31.

Mayfield is a stud team. With class acts on the team and coaching staff. They will be back and be contenders for years to come. They will get their day in the sun soon I'm sure.
Was a good call.

Even if it wasn't how you gonna let them score with no time remaining? Bad coaching.
Karma comes back to bite Mayfield finally, lol. They now know how Prestonsburg felt in '93 champ game when TD was called back because of a questionable holding call.
UK Fan14 Wrote:Karma comes back to bite Mayfield finally, lol. They now know how Prestonsburg felt in '93 champ game when TD was called back because of a questionable holding call.

Very good point. That call very late in the game took the game winning td off the scoreboard.
Somerset STATE CHAMPS still!!!
Craze JACKET man Wrote:Somerset STATE CHAMPS still!!!

State champs*( by bs call by refs) that's how it will always be remembered with an asterisk beside it....lol. Asterisk champions. Congratulations!!! Somerset and the refs where the best team that day
It was the correct call. If this was Diaz Perry going up for the reception and Tate Madden behind him and the the call was not made Mayfield fans would be equally upset and posting the same videos.

I don't think there was much contact and the Grundy kid made it look worse than it was because of his adjustment, but by the rule the contact that occurred impeded the receivers ability to catch the ball and the official threw the flag after seeing what he saw.

I just wish Neely would not have been hurt so we could have seen both teams' stars at full power. Neely was a tremendous High School talent and deserved a better ending to a fabulous career.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:It was the correct call. If this was Diaz Perry going up for the reception and Tate Madden behind him and the the call was not made Mayfield fans would be equally upset and posting the same videos.

I don't think there was much contact and the Grundy kid made it look worse than it was because of his adjustment, but by the rule the contact that occurred impeded the receivers ability to catch the ball and the official threw the flag after seeing what he saw.

I just wish Neely would not have been hurt so we could have seen both teams' stars at full power. Neely was a tremendous High School talent and deserved a better ending to a fabulous career.
I don't think Grundy exaggerated anything. Almost looks like as the defender jumps his leg clips Grundy's legs making incidental contact on playing the ball. But it appears he is slammed down from the upper body contact. I don't think he's that good of an actor. https://twitter.com/brianwkyt/status/120...63553?s=09
Give it up already! Y’all are like the Grinch who stole Christmas. Whether it was a good call or a bad call, Somerset is still the winner and rightfully so. They’ve had ONE state title in 113 years. Let’s the boys bask in their joy! You’ve had 12. Debbie downers sheesh!

On another note, way to go Jumpers! 28 seconds is really all you need for a title. Job well done.
Jackson Purchase Wrote:I don't think Grundy exaggerated anything. Almost looks like as the defender jumps his leg clips Grundy's legs making incidental contact on playing the ball. But it appears he is slammed down from the upper body contact. I don't think he's that good of an actor. https://twitter.com/brianwkyt/status/120...63553?s=09

You mis-read my statement, I am basically saying the same thing as you are. Grundy wasn't selling anything or acting, it just happened that the timing of the contact coincided perfectly with when he was making his adjustment to a ball that was about to be beyond his reach. If the Mayfield defender doesn't make contact with his hands I think it is a clean play.

The unfortunate thing for the defender is I have no doubt that if Grundy isn't adjusting to the ball there is no contact. I dont think the defender was intending to initiate contact as much as he was just trying to jump for the ball himself. I also don't think Grundy was searching for a flag, I think he genuinely mis-judged the ball initially.

Unfortunately for #6, he does make contact and the contact definitely impeded the ability for the receiver to make the catch and as a result we get a flag. I actually thought he played it about as perfect as you could but just got his hands into a receiver at the worst possible time.

If I am the official I call that and I certainly can't fault the official for calling it. Bad fortune for Mayfield but the right call.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:It was the correct call. If this was Diaz Perry going up for the reception and Tate Madden behind him and the the call was not made Mayfield fans would be equally upset and posting the same videos.

I just wish Neely would not have been hurt so we could have seen both teams' stars at full power
. Neely was a tremendous High School talent and deserved a better ending to a fabulous career.

I agree with you here, but let's not forget that Somerset has been without their best player since the Hazard game. I wish we were able to see Miller and Neely in this game and hate that both of them had to watch this game unfold from the sidelines.
cardsfan9051 Wrote:State champs*( by bs call by refs) that's how it will always be remembered with an asterisk beside it....lol. Asterisk champions. Congratulations!!! Somerset and the refs where the best team that day

Somerset fans this is what the taste of unfathomable sadness tastes like.

Seriously man, grow up. I hated my team lost Friday, but you can read everything I’ve written, and I never said we got hosed or that the other team deserved an asterisk.
cardsfan9051 Wrote:State champs*( by bs call by refs) that's how it will always be remembered with an asterisk beside it....lol. Asterisk champions. Congratulations!!! Somerset and the refs where the best team that day

:please:
Hatz Wrote::please:

I wouldn't pay this guy much mind. Last year it was CAL buying players and the refs, this year it's just the refs. Maybe he's improving, or maybe he just doesn't think Somerset can afford to pay for players.
RoShamBo Wrote:I wouldn't pay this guy much mind. Last year it was CAL buying players and the refs, this year it's just the refs. Maybe he's improving, or maybe he just doesn't think Somerset can afford to pay for players.

If you decide you can afford to buy players I’m available for hire as a paid scout. You need to know what your buying.
And the Mayfield fans continue to show true arrogance and lack of class... Arguing a fumble call when the game is already over and calling somerset the "asterisk champs" will not bring this team back for another season or defeat the fact that somerset had a better team than mayfield this year. As a program, Mayfield and its fan base should get over themselves. :biglmao::please:
Looked like the official got it right.

I don't think Grundy "sold" anything.

Logon to Hudl and watch the Grundy kid's videos. Every ball thrown his way is "catch-able". Seriously some are out of this world.

Blown coverage on the final play results in a Somerset win.

I'd say this goes to good coaching on Somerset as Mayfield probably had not considered #12 at all since he's seldom been on offense and I'd say Mayfield was like me and just KNEW that last pass would go to Grundy-hence the double
Elite Eagle Wrote:And the Mayfield fans continue to show true arrogance and lack of class... Arguing a fumble call when the game is already over and calling somerset the "asterisk champs" will not bring this team back for another season or defeat the fact that somerset had a better team than mayfield this year. As a program, Mayfield and its fan base should get over themselves. :biglmao::please:

I think most of them accepted the loss right away, while the remaining few seem to have come back down to Earth after a little reflection. But there's always one outlier. I wouldn't judge the whole fanbase off that guy.

Point is, I know they were hurting after the loss, that's a tough way to go down. I can accept some of the gripes afterwards. Calling a team the asterisk champs after a completely legitimate call which ultimately didn't decide the game I'm not cool with though.
RoShamBo Wrote:I think most of them accepted the loss right away, while the remaining few seem to have come back down to Earth after a little reflection. But there's always one outlier. I wouldn't judge the whole fanbase off that guy.

Point is, I know they were hurting after the loss, that's a tough way to go down. I can accept some of the gripes afterwards. Calling a team the asterisk champs after a completely legitimate call which ultimately didn't decide the game I'm not cool with though.

There are a few mayfield fans on here that are classless and honestly it does not make them look good but I obviously mean no ill will towards anybody though as I acknowledge that this is a high school sports forum for fun and discussion... with that being said though, mayfield has an outstanding program and they do have a few fans who are classless (every fan base has some of these fans to be fair), I enjoy giving our neighbors out West grief when I can because lord knows they have sent many mountain teams back home with their tail tucked between their legs lol it’s all in good fun!
My son plays on the Mayfield team and he and I have struggled with the loss. It's a tough way for one team to lose and a thrilling way for the other to win. This game will live on in various ways.
The Bunnies by-and-large were very classy with it all. It was easy to see that there were several of them that elected to console dejected Cards after that last play rather than immediately celebrate with their team. Admirable.
So evenly matched it was an amazing game with undeniable twists. The only real SHS mistake I recall was the fumble on kickoff recovered by a sophomore from Mayfield.
Unfortunately, the end really did come down to officiating. IF IF IF only, right?
I wish there were a way to give a gold ball to both teams for such extraordinary effort and heart. Of course, that's not how it works.
Both programs have a bright future and will begin work immediately on the next season.
One good note I just found out: Kade Neely has a dislocated kneecap and will require no surgery... 3-4 weeks recovery time.
SImpleplan Wrote:My son plays on the Mayfield team and he and I have struggled with the loss. It's a tough way for one team to lose and a thrilling way for the other to win. This game will live on in various ways.
The Bunnies by-and-large were very classy with it all. It was easy to see that there were several of them that elected to console dejected Cards after that last play rather than immediately celebrate with their team. Admirable.
So evenly matched it was an amazing game with undeniable twists. The only real SHS mistake I recall was the fumble on kickoff recovered by a sophomore from Mayfield.
Unfortunately, the end really did come down to officiating. IF IF IF only, right?
I wish there were a way to give a gold ball to both teams for such extraordinary effort and heart. Of course, that's not how it works.
Both programs have a bright future and will begin work immediately on the next season.
One good note I just found out: Kade Neely has a dislocated kneecap and will require no surgery... 3-4 weeks recovery time.

Great to hear about Neely! He is a great talent.
You are correct on the ending, it was a memorable game for both teams and it is unfortunate that one team had to lose. As for you and your son, there is absolutely nothing to hang your head about!
SImpleplan Wrote:My son plays on the Mayfield team and he and I have struggled with the loss. It's a tough way for one team to lose and a thrilling way for the other to win. This game will live on in various ways.

That is excellent news!
Disagree on it deciding the game. If they hadn't made the call it would've decided the game. After the call was made, Mayfield still had the opportunity to make a play to win the game.
No, I have to say I don't think the last play should have happened.
Don't get me wrong - I'm proud for the kids on both teams. But, replay should be part of the state championship games:
Ball strip called down TD 2 plays later:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/82zxt32rbr2zfh...e.jpg?dl=0
Catch called out of bounds and clock stopped with 2 seconds left in the game:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n16xi1kvfj6hff...s.jpg?dl=0
There may be photographs of mistakes for the other side but I don't have any of that.
SImpleplan Wrote:Catch called out of bounds and clock stopped with 2 seconds left in the game:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n16xi1kvfj6hff...s.jpg?dl=0

Gotta say, that pic looks pretty definitive. And this was the play BEFORE the PI call? Wow.