Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2A Pass Interference at the end
It's done. It's over. I know this is what a message board is for, but this is beating a dead horse. I don't know a team that hasn't benefited or been hurt by a call that could have gone either way. The official did what he thought was right and from the majority of the responses most would say he was justified. However, because it's a state final game some of you would like him to swallow the whistle. Had the PI not been called we would have accepted our fate and to be honest we had. I'm sure it hurts, in fact I know it hurts. I've experienced it. I guess if this is away to delegitimize our win and justify the outcome for some of you then so be it, but it will still say on the khsaa website as a win for the Briar Jumpers. I'm sure the Jumpers won because they were in with the refs and gave them a ton of money...🙄. We win one in 113 years and everyone is already putting an asterisk by it.
I’m not a fan of either team, so from a neutral perspective, after reviewing the videos, that should have been a no call.
It's like some people on here can't actually see the video. If they see this play and don't see defensive PI then they're crazy. It is obvious!

Watch the video. Pause it a different times. The defender clearly puts his arm in receivers back & pushes him down BEFORE trying to make a play on the ball. Watch the video!
Everyone has an opinion, but the only one that matters is the back judge. Flag or no flag is the question.
FLAG was thrown and play on!!
Touchdown on last play was great play call #2 receiver running wide open for TD.
This angle that angle, only the back-judge angle matters on this play.
Congrats to both teams on a great game.
Walt Longmire Wrote:The pass to Madden on the Somerset sideline? If it was that one, he did. Happened right in front of us.

I believe he was talking about the short pass to the Somerset sideline the play before the deep one. Kid was tackled in bounds but the refs said he made it out of bounds. Therefore the clocked stopped which was extremely crucial.
zebra'seyes Wrote:It's like some people on here can't actually see the video. If they see this play and don't see defensive PI then they're crazy. It is obvious!

Watch the video. Pause it a different times. The defender clearly puts his arm in receivers back & pushes him down BEFORE trying to make a play on the ball. Watch the video!

Did it. Slowed it way down, paused it. The receiver jumped slightly backwards while the defender leaned slightly towards him. The defender had his hands near the receivers shoulder pads, when the ball arrives they both lift their hands towards the ball. No shove. If this had happened the opposite way, I would say we were very fortunate to get that call. I wouldn't call it clear and obvious no matter what.
Back and to the left. Back and to the left.
I watched the game live as well as some of you. From where I was sitting, I was throwing the flag myself before it was thrown on the field. I jumped and said based on the look of it from my view that it was passing interference. There was a ton of plays in that game in my opinion that wasn't called all game long and in the other games as well. So when the call is made its a opinion call by a ref in the heat of the moment, it was called and the rest is history. I guess depends if your a Mayfield fan or Somerset fan if it should have been thrown. But wow, what a game.
Should’ve been thrown. It was thrown. It’s was the call in the field and it stands.

If you’re a Mayfield fan, you hate the call. I get it. I hated the it’s a fumble and Somerset’s ball well no, it’s Mayfield’s ball because the bag wasn’t thrown call too.

Refs were neutral. Made a call. Human element of the game. He saw contact. He was next to the play.
https://mobile.twitter.com/brianwkyt/sta...7898072068

This was also a Somerset fumble and they called him down. Refs definitely left their mark on this game.
CowboyDad Wrote:Should’ve been thrown. It was thrown. It’s was the call in the field and it stands.

If you’re a Mayfield fan, you hate the call. I get it. I hated the it’s a fumble and Somerset’s ball well no, it’s Mayfield’s ball because the bag wasn’t thrown call too.

Refs were neutral. Made a call. Human element of the game. He saw contact. He was next to the play.

You're right. Ref's did call a fumble but it wasn't and then it got reversed which I've never seen. Other fumble by Mayfield probably shouldn't have been a fumble because ref's let them play too long didn't blow the whistle. Then Somerset qb fumbles, I could hear the whistle before he hit the ground. I know it seems like sour grapes but the ref's weren't that good. It was being said on the internet the whole game by everybody not just Mayfield people and the ref's weren't that good the other games. I get it, ref's mess up. But their shouldn't be controversial call after call for both teams.
Its one I disagree with the call but I wear Cardinal tented glasses. It is a 50/50 call most likely regardless of bias. That said I have always felt 1 play, even if it is a wring call decides a game. We Cards didn't get the call and there is nothing that will change that. The Bunnies are your Champs. Proud of the Cards and we will go back to work to get another one but this one is forever the Bunnies. Does it hurt? Hell yes it hurts, I hated to wake this morning and was a little surprised to see the sun actually did come up. I will likely not post or read this board much for a week or two to allow the pain to go away. Congrats Jumpers on getting into the state title club.
It's over, the fat lady sang. That play did not win the game. Somerset's execution on the last play and the lack of Mayfield's Def. being able to cover the guy was what won the game. Hat's off to the Jumpers. Now enjoy for a few days and get back in wt. room and get ready for next season.
I have to agree with Killer in the suns point of view and also Kracken.If the roles were reverxed Mayfield wouldn't get the PI call!!!
Snakesnot Wrote:You're right. Ref's did call a fumble but it wasn't and then it got reversed which I've never seen. Other fumble by Mayfield probably shouldn't have been a fumble because ref's let them play too long didn't blow the whistle. Then Somerset qb fumbles, I could hear the whistle before he hit the ground. I know it seems like sour grapes but the ref's weren't that good. It was being said on the internet the whole game by everybody not just Mayfield people and the ref's weren't that good the other games. I get it, ref's mess up. But their shouldn't be controversial call after call for both teams.

If I’m a Mayfield fan, I’m not happy. Trust me, I get this.

Refs aren’t always going to make the best call for any situation. The Hazard game comes to mind this season where I thought “imma finally go to jail today”

But this game, the penalties that weren’t called are just as brutal as the ones that were.
Appears there was contact made from the DB into the receivers back that prevented him from getting to the ball. Having no dog in it I can definitely see why the call was made. Could the receiver made the catch? Close enough to where it Doesn’t really matter.
According to the NFHS rulebook pass interference occurs when:

"Any A or B player who is beyond the neutral zone interferes with an eligible opponent's opportunity to move toward, catch or bat the pass."

Grundy was clearly still trying to move towards the ball and was getting ready to jump for it. By the very definition of the rule it is pass interference. The defender does not have the right to simply hold that spot if it impedes the receiver's ability to try and catch it. This isn't basketball where a defender can spot up and take a charge. And for the ones that said that Grundy couldn't have caught that ball, you must not have seen the catch he made on a very similar throw against LCA. On that one the defender went up with him to try and bat it down instead of blocking him.

Either way that call is no more responsible for the final outcome than the reversal of the fumble would have been if Mayfield had won by those 3 points. When it all comes down to it Mayfield had Somerset down by 3, 84 yards away from the end zone with 28 seconds and no timeouts. If you don't finish that it's on you, not the refs.
It was such an obvious case of pass interference that I can't fathom anyone even questioning the call.
The PI was a 50/50 call. Mayfield’s blown coverage at 00:00 was not...kid could’ve almost called a”fair catch” for the TD.

Congrats, Bunnies!
I’m not arguing one way or the other, but still frames rarely do live action justice.
All the important people that I've spoken with regarding the game have commented that is was a good called ballgame. These are the people that matter and not fans opinions.
zebra'seyes Wrote:All the important people that I've spoken with regarding the game have commented that is was a good called ballgame. These are the people that matter and not fans opinions.

All the people I’ve talked to, and they are people that matter, not just fans, said it was not PI, so again I guess it’s subjective. So again, I, and some people I know, believe it was a bad call. Does that take away from somerset’s win, absolutely not, they did what they had to do to get there, awesome team and unbelievable final drive. They got the call at the end, bad or not, and they are champs.
zebra'seyes Wrote:All the important people that I've spoken with regarding the game have commented that is was a good called ballgame. These are the people that matter and not fans opinions.

Important people?? Hmmm, lets see 3 fumbles that weren't and one team has 3 penalty's for 10 yds. I give the ref's a C grade. And fans opinions do matter. Good sportsmanship from the Somerset players during and after the game, that's a plus. Somerset is a deserving Champion, let me be clear.
Fan opinions matter zero.
From my non bias view on the field standing behind the goalpost this was the correct call IMO.
Somerset STATE CHAMPIONS!!
zebra'seyes Wrote:Fan opinions matter zero.

Nor does yours or mine
Could not tell much from first video. The second video I thought the offensive player initiated the contact as the defender was going up for the ball. But, I can see a ref making that call. Wrong or not, the next play was the one that coverage was blown.
WestRedWings Wrote:Ashame to be in that position in first place but no way stripes should decide a game on a ball nearly in the stands

The ball landed about 5 yards deep in the end zone and inbounds by about 5 feet. Grundy went up and caught an almost identical ball to beat LCA in the 2nd meeting. Regardless, there is no such thing as a ball being "uncatchable" to determine pass interference in high school. Either a defender,beyond the line of scrimmage impeded an eligible receiver from attempting to catch a pass or they didn't. The defender prevented Grundy from attempting to jump for the ball. It's pass interference.
Disciple of Leahy Wrote:The replay I’d like to see is whether somerset actually stepped out of bounds two plays before to stop the clock.

sluggo Wrote:I believe he was talking about the short pass to the Somerset sideline the play before the deep one. Kid was tackled in bounds but the refs said he made it out of bounds. Therefore the clocked stopped which was extremely crucial.

I had purchased the games on the KHSAA website and went back and watched the whole game tonight. On the play that you are talking about Grundy's body, from his right knee on up lands out of bounds. The only part of him that landed inbounds was his left leg from his hip down and his right leg from his knee down. From the angle that he went down it is pretty clear that his upper body hit the ground before his legs. He was indeed out of bounds.