Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on RPI?
Go back to 4 classes. 11 game season, top 2 teams in district make the playoffs. Go back to East vs. West.
SteadyRockin71 Wrote:When you have teams less than 20 miles apart playing one another for a state championship something is wrong. The seeding I can see to a degree but the geographical alignment in Louisville especially is fixed so area Louisville teams can play one another for a state championship. Sure it’s the best 2 teams I agree but they should be in the same district playing one another rather than a state championship. Just my opinion.

They used to have a system that would be what you ask for. Until the late 70's or so, there was an "At Large State Champion" in the old 4A and a "Jefferson County Champion." Then the two played in the "Overall State Championship Game."

KHSAA decided that was a little ridiculous because the 2nd best team might be in Jefferson County. The truth is that "nothing is fixed." Each of these 6A teams had to be others from the state that made it that far. The problem is that there aren't too many great programs in the state outside of Louisville because of population base.

When the two best teams play I don't think it matters where they are from.
This is the first time that I ever remember every state title game being evenly matched. I'm not saying there won't be a blow out, but on paper, every game has potential to be a classic.
SteadyRockin71 Wrote:When you have teams less than 20 miles apart playing one another for a state championship something is wrong. The seeding I can see to a degree but the geographical alignment in Louisville especially is fixed so area Louisville teams can play one another for a state championship. Sure it’s the best 2 teams I agree but they should be in the same district playing one another rather than a state championship. Just my opinion.
If it’s the two best teams playing for the championship, who cares how far apart they are. The inner district games in the first two rounds is ridiculous. We had 2nd round games played to the wire, only to have 3rd round blowouts. I think in most classes, the RPI LUCKILY played out. I say luckily because the ball ended up bouncing in a different direction at the very end for some. Paintsville is a good example. Had they beat LCA in the final game of the regular season, they would have played at Pikeville last night. Or for shits and giggles, had they been healthy against Hazard, they would have play at Pikeville last night. Instead the were the 4 seed and proved how flawed the system is as far as how it rewards points, case in point, KCD. No way they should have been above Pikeville. By beating the worst 5A teams in the state, they were awarded more points because they “played up in class”
Westside Wrote:This is the first time that I ever remember every state title game being evenly matched. I'm not saying there won't be a blow out, but on paper, every game has potential to be a classic.

Westside last years games where the closest the have been in years. Now this years maybe but we won’t know that until next week. The RPI really work out for the upper 3 classes but that big percentage spread for playing up for lower class teams hurt the lower classes especially in 1A, now I believe or at least in my opinion there are 3 or 4 teams that could have beaten KCD in 1A but where they played some weaker teams in higher classes they where the #1 seed because of that. Like I said before you have to beat who is in front of you no matter what system. I do think that the best teams in each class are going to be there so I guess it work out. Just the scheduling part bothers me in the future.
Best vs Best = RPI
I wish they would've instituted the RPI playoff system years ago. I think it's a great idea. The 2 best teams in their class should play in the state finals. I remember in the 2000's in 2A we would have the top 3 or 4 teams in the state in the same region most years with Belfry, Sheldon Clark, Prestonsburg and Breathitt. And everyone knew that whoever made it out of that region was gonna win by 20+ in the semis and final. The games were almost just a formality after the regional championship game. I think that same problem has been corrected this year. If the regional championship playoff system was still in place then we would've had Paintsville vs Pikeville in the regional championship and Belfry vs Bell in their regional championship this year, but I think all 4 teams have proved, based on their playoff wins, that they deserve to be in the state championship. Khsaa got this decision right, and the mountains are shining today because of it.
It did what it was designed to do, BUT if not tweaked it will lead to less competitive scheduling. It will make playing anyone out of state much less attractive as it is now. More credit to out of state opponents will be a must or we will not see any or many good out of state opponents. Same with playing out of class. For example Pikeville, If your say a class 6 A school the risk and penalty is not worth the risk of playing any of the really good small schools. It will lead to a lot less good matchups
The rpi works and works well. I don’t understand how some people can find such trivial things to complain about.
Patriot1 Wrote:Westside last years games where the closest the have been in years. Now this years maybe but we won’t know that until next week. The RPI really work out for the upper 3 classes but that big percentage spread for playing up for lower class teams hurt the lower classes especially in 1A, now I believe or at least in my opinion there are 3 or 4 teams that could have beaten KCD in 1A but where they played some weaker teams in higher classes they where the #1 seed because of that. Like I said before you have to beat who is in front of you no matter what system. I do think that the best teams in each class are going to be there so I guess it work out. Just the scheduling part bothers me in the future.

Pretty sure I’ve said it since I watched KCD play in week 7 against my nephew and Berea that any of the top 5 teams in the East would easily beat KCD.
Patriot1 Wrote:Westside last years games where the closest the have been in years. Now this years maybe but we won’t know that until next week. The RPI really work out for the upper 3 classes but that big percentage spread for playing up for lower class teams hurt the lower classes especially in 1A, now I believe or at least in my opinion there are 3 or 4 teams that could have beaten KCD in 1A but where they played some weaker teams in higher classes they where the #1 seed because of that. Like I said before you have to beat who is in front of you no matter what system. I do think that the best teams in each class are going to be there so I guess it work out. Just the scheduling part bothers me in the future.

I agree that last year was amazing, but it was also a rarity. That's why everyone was talking about it.
Every class has 1 vs 2 according to Calpreps except 3a 1 vs 3