Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mountain Top 10
Jbs will b the best team n the moutains by far....cox n stepp are one of the best backcourts n the state..collins one of the best upcoming bigman.....clint can shoot lights out at time....this summer he shot lights out most of the times.....n hall will do watever is asked of him....he will beat and bang...doesnt mind being 6th man...but played starter minutes this summer....the chemistry on this team right now is great...i watched them this summer...there ready to b n the top of the state
KCCFAN23 Wrote:Jbs will b the best team n the moutains by far....cox n stepp are one of the best backcourts n the state..collins one of the best upcoming bigman.....clint can shoot lights out at time....this summer he shot lights out most of the times.....n hall will do watever is asked of him....he will beat and bang...doesnt mind being 6th man...but played starter minutes this summer....the chemistry on this team right now is great...i watched them this summer...there ready to b n the top of the state

Seems like we've been down this road before on another thread, but here goes...

JBS is not the best team "by far" in the mountains. They may be number one, and I think that is a reasonable assertion, but no way are they head and shoulders above everybody else. Too many other good teams that would at the very least play JBS close, if not beat them.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I believe that JBS should be PRESEASON #1. But that will be a spot held by a few teams by the time it is all said and done.
happyface Wrote:I believe that JBS should be PRESEASON #1. But that will be a spot held by a few teams by the time it is all said and done.

I would go along with JBS being the preseason #1 in the mountains, just don't say that they are head and shoulders above ererybody else! Doesn't seem like you feel that way based on the second part of your post, which I definitely agree with.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I think with the addition of Whitaker and Warren, Hazard will be a tough team down the stretch. I have heard a lot of good things about Pikevile, we know Shelby Valley is going to be right there. South Laurel, Corbin, Cumberland will have a say so at some point. And there is always a darkhorse team that will show itself at some point. Can't wait.
I think that JBS has possibly the most talent in the mountains in a long time but the question is if they will play as a team like they did in last years regional and also this summer. They looked very good this summer losing in the AAU state championship semi final to Scott County by 3. Hazard will be better with the Whitaker kid but I think JBS controls their own destiny.
The 13th will be the deepest region in the mountains with 5 or 6 teams that could come out of that region. In the past few years it has been SL at 1 with the others fighting for second. It is a whole new ballgame with a bunch of very good teams in the mix.
The 15th will also field a number of good teams this year with SV,Paintsville and Pikeville fighting for the crown. There are a few more good teams out of the 15th so it should be fun to watch.
Good luck to all teams....
WOW I 4got about Paintsville.
This is good stuff, let's keep it up! Who says we can't discuss H.S. basketball in August?

I wonder what some of the good inter-regional games will be in the mountains this year? I hope there will be some good matchups so maybe then we can start sorting out who the best teams in the mountains really are.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Shelby Valley will round out my #1 spot; returning regional champs also returning all five starters. #2 will have to go to Pikeville, they return a lot and looked great over the summer. #3 Painstville, can they finally live up to they hype?
Year in and year out the toughtest region in the mountains is the 13th. This year is no differernt I think the best team in the mountains will come from the 13th.
I would put Hazard at 2nd now that they got those 2 transfers.
Jimmy Dugan Wrote:Shelby Valley will round out my #1 spot; returning regional champs also returning all five starters. #2 will have to go to Pikeville, they return a lot and looked great over the summer. #3 Painstville, can they finally live up to they hype?

Luke The Drifter Wrote:Year in and year out the toughtest region in the mountains is the 13th. This year is no differernt I think the best team in the mountains will come from the 13th.

I don't see the top three teams in the mountains all coming from the 15th region. I also don't think the top teams will all be from the 13th, either (or the 14th for that matter).

I do think that the preseason top team for the three regions would either be JBS or SV.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
RavenBoy Wrote:I would put Hazard at 2nd now that they got those 2 transfers.
They will be 2nd best in the 14th Region, but no way will they be 2nd best in the mountains. Whitaker is a good YOUNG point guard and Warren is a solid post player, but IMO Hazard was not even a top 10 mountain team without them and who knows how these kids will fit in at Hazard, not to mention how Big Al and Eddie will work together. Cumberland, JBS, Shelby Valley, Corbin and Paintsville will be the top 5 teams in the mountain area, not necessarily in that order, but very possibly.
i recall, but maybe wrong, im a little fuzzy on this one, but i think jbs beat shleby valley in the wymt mountain classic last year, so imo jbs should be #1. i dont like them, but they have earned my respect.
stroked Wrote:i recall, but maybe wrong, im a little fuzzy on this one, but i think jbs beat shleby valley in the wymt mountain classic last year, so imo jbs should be #1. i dont like them, but they have earned my respect.

No, JBS and SV didn't play last year. Valley got beat by Hazard in the WYMT tournament, then Hazard was beaten by JBS. So by that logic you could say that JBS gets a slight edge, and I would buy that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I know that this is off topic but has anyone heard anything on the kids that where suppose to be transferring from JBS? I guess they are staying put.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:I know that this is off topic but has anyone heard anything on the kids that where suppose to be transferring from JBS? I guess they are staying put.

In the thread under here it was posted that Cox and Collins are both still at JBS.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Warren and Campbell will be a load to deal with, Warren can score and rebound. Whitaker is one of the best if not the best true point guard in the mountains, not the best scorer. Don't know about the other 2 positions at Hazard but the 1,4,5, should be covered. If they can get chemistry than it will be a fun All A and Region.
More Cowbell Wrote:In the thread under here it was posted that Cox and Collins are both still at JBS.

Thanks! I haven't really been hitting the high boards heavy lately. Anyways, I can't wait for high school bball to roll around.
JBS is too much for anyone in the mountains to deal with.. They just have al the right pieces... Hazard is NOTHING without Hicks... end of story.. Valley plays in the weakest region in Ky, so no wonder they keep posting huge win totals.. look at Valley's record against quality teams outside of the region...
3SportStud Wrote:JBS is too much for anyone in the mountains to deal with.. They just have al the right pieces... Hazard is NOTHING without Hicks... end of story.. Valley plays in the weakest region in Ky, so no wonder they keep posting huge win totals.. look at Valley's record against quality teams outside of the region...

05' they destroyed everyone inside and out of the region, 06' they were about .500 with teams out side the region, in 07' they once again destroyed everyone inside and out of the region except for Dunbar, Warren Central, Hazard and Elliot County (only losses).
3SportStud Wrote:JBS is too much for anyone in the mountains to deal with.. They just have al the right pieces... Hazard is NOTHING without Hicks... end of story.. Valley plays in the weakest region in Ky, so no wonder they keep posting huge win totals.. look at Valley's record against quality teams outside of the region...

Let's check the KHSAA website and see about that.

Here are Valley's games against quality out-of-region teams last year:
Corbin: W, 79-74
Bell Co: W, 61-58
Hazard: L, 56-48
Paul Dunbar: L, 82-72
Warren Central: L, 63-60
Lou. Shawnee: W, 69-48
Elliot Co: L, 68-55
(I did not count wins against Buckhorn, Pineville, Leslie County, or out-of-state teams)

Here are JBS's games against quality out-of-region teams last year:
Mason Co: L, 57-55
Lex. Catholic: L, 73-55
Lou. Trinity: L, 86-57
Bell Co: W, 59-58
Pendleton Co: W, 76-65
Warren Central: L, 71-53
(I did not count wins against Magoffin, Sheldon Clark, or Prestonsburg)

Now you tell me, who had the better showing in those games? At the very least it's a wash...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Let's check the KHSAA website and see about that.

Here are Valley's games against quality out-of-region teams last year:
Corbin: W, 79-74
Bell Co: W, 61-58
Hazard: L, 56-48
Paul Dunbar: L, 82-72
Warren Central: L, 63-60
Lou. Shawnee: W, 69-48
Elliot Co: L, 68-55
(I did not count wins against Buckhorn, Pineville, Leslie County, or out-of-state teams)

Here are JBS's games against quality out-of-region teams last year:
Mason Co: L, 57-55
Lex. Catholic: L, 73-55
Lou. Trinity: L, 86-57
Bell Co: W, 59-58
Pendleton Co: W, 76-65
Warren Central: L, 71-53
(I did not count wins against Magoffin, Sheldon Clark, or Prestonsburg)

Now you tell me, who had the better showing in those games? At the very least it's a wash...

Thank you! That is exactly what I should have said. You pretty much looked at the exact same records as me Big Grin
Valley #1
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Thank you! That is exactly what I should have said. You pretty much looked at the exact same records as me Big Grin

Glad to lend a hand! Big Grin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Paintsville will always be there. Never count them out. They are a class act.
RavenBoy Wrote:I would put Hazard at 2nd now that they got those 2 transfers.
Hazard may be #2 in the 14th but no way in the mountains. THe Whitaker kid will help Hazard but in now way is he good enough to replace Hicks. Hicks could shoot from any range and also take it inside. Whitaker can penetrate but he is not a great outside shooter and in no way compares to Hicks. I am not being mean because he is a very good player but he will not give Hazard what Hicks did.
happyface Wrote:Warren and Campbell will be a load to deal with, Warren can score and rebound. Whitaker is one of the best if not the best true point guard in the mountains, not the best scorer. Don't know about the other 2 positions at Hazard but the 1,4,5, should be covered. If they can get chemistry than it will be a fun All A and Region.
Warren has been ruled inelgible and Campbell has already had to miss the first 2 games of the football season for disciplinary actions. The question is if Al can control Campbell because no one else has up to this point. Campbell cussed the coach out twice last year and was not disciplined and I just cant see Al puttting up with that. He is a Hall of Fame coach and he will play without him if he has to.
bball fan Wrote:Yes, but Mr. Hicks has about 40 billion players that play basketball only down at "Team Toyota". Let him come back to a small mountain school and I bet he would be just another coach!!
bball fan, I don't know if I can agree with you on Hicks. If you look at his record at Evarts, Harlan, and Corbin he won big at all three of these schools. At each of these schools he took programs that had won 2 or 3 games the year before and turned them into big winners. At Scott Co he took a program that was already pretty good and elevated them to the top program in the state.