Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State Champs and other players leave Floyd Co.
-STAT- Wrote:Ok, so the question I have is, and maybe it's an easy answer, I don't know. So the Superintendent has banned all Floyd Co. teams from participating in any athletic event, against all athletic programs from Paintsville, Pikeville, and soon to be Johnson Central.
Lets say for example, Basketball next season, if Floyd Central, who on paper could be a favorite to make a run at winning the 15th Region, plays a semi final game against say, Pikeville? Paintsville? Is this "ban" for the regular season only? Does this include all post season in all sports as well? Would Floyd Central have to forfeit their chance at a Championship? Just because they are playing the said banned teams mentioned. Maybe someone can answer this on here, and maybe it's an obvious answer that no, the so called ban is regular season only, or maybe it will not be so easy to answer, because it sounds like there hasn't been many answers what so ever when it comes to getting them from Henry Webb.

Any post-season games/events against teams that Floyd County schools aren't supposed to schedule in the regular season would have to be forfeited by the Floyd County teams.

Example: If Floyd Central met Pikeville in a regional soccer game, Floyd Central would either have to forfeit the game OR play the contest.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Any post-season games/events against teams that Floyd County schools aren't supposed to schedule in the regular season would have to be forfeited by the Floyd County teams.

Example: If Floyd Central met Pikeville in a regional soccer game, Floyd Central would either have to forfeit the game OR play the contest.

That's what I was thinking, which is ridiculous. If I were a kid playing any sport for Floyd Central, I would want to play against the best competition out there, win or lose, no matter who it is or whoever transferred, it doesn't matter. But I guess that's my old school mentality, just sad that the opportunity is being taken away from the kids.
Tournament is an exception. I would say similar to Hazard and Perry Central few years ago.
Has Been Wrote:I don't know the situation at Pburg but this has been going on at BL for years. Kids leave to thinking they will better themselves in sports. A lot more often than not what happens (in basketball I have noticed) it breaks up a team that "could be" a regional contender and creates a couple or sometimes multiple mid level and/or lower level teams. This has been the case 95% of the time with only a couple of exceptions. The only group that stayed the course at BL over that time span won the 2011 All "A" state championship and was a favorite to win the region that year falling just short. I would love to have seen what could have been at BL knowing the talent that it's feeder programs produced.
Everything you said in this post was spot on including the incredible teams that would have been across all sports if they had all stayed at Betsy Layne. But also, here at Betsy Layne we don't let those things define us although it has become a problem in our school and it's became obvious that it is affecting our athletics but we want to continue moving forward and not thinking about the things that could have been.
Henry... How do you allow yourself to lay your head down at night knowing your motto is "Kid's First". More like "let's fill my pocket and let the Floyd County school system go all to he**.
Is Henry Webb starting to clean house or are coaches tired of being told they can't play anyone?
Girls basketball coach has resigned and now Coach Jamerson has resigned as the track & field coach.
Whose next?
poppypi2015 Wrote:Is Henry Webb starting to clean house or are coaches tired of being told they can't play anyone?
Girls basketball coach has resigned and now Coach Jamerson has resigned as the track & field coach.
Whose next?

Hate to hear that about Dewey, he's been at it a long time, good coach, even better person.
You got the letter sent and put it on here Poppypi2015 and the only school that was mentioned not playing certain schools is Floyd Central. Fake news!
Not really fake news Wyatt. Prestonsburg and Floyd Central just pulled out of the football contracts with Paintsville a couple of weeks ago, and they did indeed tell Paintsville Super that they (Floyd Co Schools) would NOT be scheduling us in any sport, any age group.
I've heard they did the same with Pikeville Independent, And Johnson County might be next.
I'd say he sleeps pretty well. I hope you're not loosing any sleep over him. Are you?
Redneck Wrote:Not really fake news Wyatt. Prestonsburg and Floyd Central just pulled out of the football contracts with Paintsville a couple of weeks ago, and they did indeed tell Paintsville Super that they (Floyd Co Schools) would NOT be scheduling us in any sport, any age group.

I agree with the fake news comment. Seems a little odd to me. Maybe you should schedule a meeting with the superintendent since you're so concerned. JMO but I believe some things may have been fabricated here
SportsSportsSports Wrote:I agree with the fake news comment. Seems a little odd to me. Maybe you should schedule a meeting with the superintendent since you're so concerned. JMO but I believe some things may have been fabricated here

I'm not concerned at all. You can believe whatever you like. They (the powers at Floyd County BOE that make these decisions) didn't just cancel the Prestonsburg game, they cancelled the Floyd Central game as well, right after these boys transferred to Paintsville.
They'll be back.
mandan Wrote:No dog in this fight but, if they won a middle school state championship, who coached them? Somebody must have known how to coach 'em up. As for kids transferring from Betsy Layne to Pikeville or P-Burg, that's been happening for years. Parents want their kids to play for winning programs...period. The academics card is played to try to justify the move. Too bad KHSAA has no backbone or real authority. All it takes is a threat of a lawsuit and KHSAA melts away.

While coaching deserves much credit, it is overrated. All it takes to win at this level is getting a system and your kids to buy into what you're selling. Having talent is a big deal as well. Size is big too. If you have a big kid and a good guard winning at this level is simple. Force other team to make decisions on the fly. Force them to run and execute an entire play. Force a 12/13/14 year old kid to make a decision at the blink of an eye with defense in his face and make it be the right one. I could care less...again CARE LESS about anything that way. I am not from there, never been there. I support the 15th region because they are the neighboring region but as far as having a dog I don't either.
Wyatt Earp Wrote:They'll be back.

They who?
Redneck Wrote:Not really fake news Wyatt. Prestonsburg and Floyd Central just pulled out of the football contracts with Paintsville a couple of weeks ago, and they did indeed tell Paintsville Super that they (Floyd Co Schools) would NOT be scheduling us in any sport, any age group.

Redneck Wrote:I've heard they did the same with Pikeville Independent, And Johnson County might be next.
Look at the bright side.... Every team that was dropped by Floyd county schools will see their Strength of Schedule go up.
Redneck Wrote:I've heard they did the same with Pikeville Independent, And Johnson County might be next.

Who said Johnson County was a possible target? Don't think we've got 11 kids from one district at 1 time. I haven't seen any email specifically stating we were next, just trying to include us in your black eye of a mess. If they do who cares? Big difference is you need them to fill your pee-wee and varsity schedules, JC doesn't. May want to start collecting pop cans because your buses will be putting a lot of miles on them soon.
People are saying that ACT scores and academics are not a true factor in transferring, but I don't believe that to be true. If I was a parent of a child who was being looked at by Paintsville for example, I have to say I would consider it. Their senior class had 100% college acceptance last year. I would take my child to a school where they are going to get that one on one in the classroom as well as on the court. If you have a coach that takes their time to improve your child, that means a lot. And, that's part of the reason that great teams are great.
Basketballmom41 Wrote:People are saying that ACT scores and academics are not a true factor in transferring, but I don't believe that to be true. If I was a parent of a child who was being looked at by Paintsville for example, I have to say I would consider it. Their senior class had 100% college acceptance last year. I would take my child to a school where they are going to get that one on one in the classroom as well as on the court. If you have a coach that takes their time to improve your child, that means a lot. And, that's part of the reason that great teams are great.

100% acceptance to college doesn't mean 100% college attendance or a 100% college graduation rate.

I will say that is something to be very proud of for Paintsville.... but a 1A school with a small graduating class can have numbers like that when a certain amount of their students go to BSCTC or someplace like that.
Paula Dean Wrote:Who said Johnson County was a possible target? Don't think we've got 11 kids from one district at 1 time. I haven't seen any email specifically stating we were next, just trying to include us in your black eye of a mess. If they do who cares? Big difference is you need them to fill your pee-wee and varsity schedules, JC doesn't. May want to start collecting pop cans because your buses will be putting a lot of miles on them soon.
Just the rumor mill floating around, don't get your panties in a bunch. We haven't done anything wrong, doesn't matter to me either way. I've got my connections in Floyd County, they fill me in on the gossip.
poppypi2015 made me see the light with his wisdom. Floyd County will go ahead and schedule Paintsville and Pikeville in the future. Why hurt kids because of adults.
Now that's not nice Pulp! Be nice
Wyatt Earp Wrote:Now that's not nice Pulp! Be nice

Be more specific.....
Floyd County teams that bad next year in sports?
Pulp Fiction Wrote:100% acceptance to college doesn't mean 100% college attendance or a 100% college graduation rate.

I will say that is something to be very proud of for Paintsville.... but a 1A school with a small graduating class can have numbers like that when a certain amount of their students go to BSCTC or someplace like that.

Pulp, you are suppose to be a MOD, but instead you are a joke. You are like the democratic media always trying to belittle and push your own agenda. Everyone knows that Paintsville and Pikeville independent schools both have high acceptance rates and high act scores because they are the two best academic institutions in eastern Ky. Yes they are small in student population , but if you apply mathematics (instead of bias) then you would understand that it is more difficult to reach high percentages with low numbers. The comment about bsctc is also out of line. At least both schools are teaching students to contribute to society, not just how to draw a check!!!!!!
Floyd Central scheduled Johnson Central two games in basketball next year today. Paintsville would also be on there if they can work the dates out.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:100% acceptance to college doesn't mean 100% college attendance or a 100% college graduation rate.

Dont get me started Pulp. I for one can speak personally of the Paintsville Education preparation for college.
Few close people know the story and if any want to hear it face to face. I will be more than happy to share it with you. Trust me....this one's a nerve striker.
Paintsville educators are second to none.
Teachers matter a lot, they are mostly under appreciated but I have to add that when a young adult reaches the age of say 15 or so then they themselves are also in a way responsible for their educations/future..They can either decide to work hard or hardly work..
A better school system is certainly, well better but I refuse to blame a school or school system completely because a kid does not make it in college.. Any kid,anywhere can do it if they want to bad enough. Some have a harder row but the chance is still there. You might have to study harder,work harder or get outside help but Ive seen to many kids crawl out of the mud to make something of themselves to think otherwise.
Wyatt Earp Wrote:Floyd Central scheduled Johnson Central two games in basketball next year today. Paintsville would also be on there if they can work the dates out.
bright sides not so bright for pulp. I can read it now......pulp fiction: we may have lost tonight (yes, it still hurts really bad. but life goes on) and blah blah blah.......