Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State Champs and other players leave Floyd Co.
Almost entire middle school state championship team from Floyd County has transferred to Paintsville after they won the state championship.

Prestonsburg's best girl basketball player has transferred to Johnson Central.

It is embarrassing for Henry Webb and his school system. He thinks everyone is recruiting his kids away. He sends an email telling his administrators not to schedule Paintsville and Pikeville in any sports and JC will follow.

Kids are not being recruited away. Its Floyd County's lack of quality coaches and more importantly they are almost at the bottom in the state in ACT scores. Paintsville and Pikeville are top 10 on the ACT every year. This is main reason kids are leaving, the education provided not recruiting.

My question after you read the attached email from Henry Webb: Should a board of control member that is supposed to be representing every school in his/her region be boycotting schools because he can't keep any of his kids in his school system. I say he should resign from being a board of control member and concentrate on retaining his kids by hiring better coaches and getting his ACT scores up!

At a minimum, he needs to resign from his board of control position. This is embarrassing for his school system he would write an email like this as a board of control member!

[Image: http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/att...1488530052]
Rice been after Jarvis all year. Unreal, she will be a senior I think. Khsaa is a total waste. Coaches now starting to recruit players as young as 6th grade. No wonder they can beat other junior high teams by 30-40. Lets just do away with rules,ethics and morals and start trading kids to the highest bidder
It sad that some teams do it the right way and get nothing for it
These kids are transferring to Johnson Central and Paintsville for one reason only, "sports". Don't play the ACT card, because it's irrelevant. These parents have been pressuring the superintendent to hire new coaches, not educators.
poppypi2015 Wrote:Almost entire middle school state championship team from Floyd County has transferred to Paintsville after they won the state championship.

Prestonsburg's best girl basketball player has transferred to Johnson Central.

It is embarrassing for Henry Webb and his school system. He thinks everyone is recruiting his kids away. He sends an email telling his administrators not to schedule Paintsville and Pikeville in any sports and JC will follow.

Kids are not being recruited away. Its Floyd County's lack of quality coaches and more importantly they are almost at the bottom in the state in ACT scores. Paintsville and Pikeville are top 10 on the ACT every year. This is main reason kids are leaving, the education provided not recruiting.

My question after you read the attached email from Henry Webb: Should a board of control member that is supposed to be representing every school in his/her region be boycotting schools because he can't keep any of his kids in his school system. I say he should resign from being a board of control member and concentrate on retaining his kids by hiring better coaches and getting his ACT scores up!

At a minimum, he needs to resign from his board of control position. This is embarrassing for his school system he would write an email like this as a board of control member!

[Image: http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/att...1488530052]

Until there is a change in the administration at Prestonsburg High School and certain coaches removed this will not be the last group of kids leaving.
No dog in this fight but, if they won a middle school state championship, who coached them? Somebody must have known how to coach 'em up. As for kids transferring from Betsy Layne to Pikeville or P-Burg, that's been happening for years. Parents want their kids to play for winning programs...period. The academics card is played to try to justify the move. Too bad KHSAA has no backbone or real authority. All it takes is a threat of a lawsuit and KHSAA melts away.
^ You are right... plus kids have been transferring to JC from Pburg for years as well, case and point Shane Hall. People don't consider it a transfer if it happens before high school it seems though... well people on the receiving end at least. JC also got a few from Martin Co over the last couple of years as well. Academics has nothing to do with any of it.
WOW. Henry trolls BGR's like a hawk. Looks as if only 4 people received this email. No idea why the Director of Transportation was cc'd. Why would he have anything to do with scheduling games.

The big question is who leaked it to PoppyPi.

Kids have been leaving Betsy Layne and going to Pikeville for years. Could be tracked back to the 80's. Nothing is said and somewhat allowed due to the close proximity. I don't think the underlying issues at BL are the same as Prestonsburg, hence the reason nothing is questioned.

Prestonsburg on the other hand has major issues. Everyone that isn't living under a rock knows the reason why Prestonsburg kids leaving. Fyi... it's not only boys, girls are leaving also. Fyi... it's not just athletes, it's kids that don't even play sports.

IMO what Henry needs to do is address the problem rather than making excuses. 1). Resign as Board of Control member IMMEDIATELY as it's obvious you don't have the best interest of ALL in which you represent. 2). Either step down as Superintendent or make the proper changes within your school district that satisfies "Kids First" motto. And lastly, be the honorable, trustworthy, respected man everyone thought you were.
Floyd County is down to three high schools. I think Pike County and Johnson County can find games to fill their schedules. Question though, who and where will Floyd County schools travel to find games?...lol
Floyd County had zero problem filling their schedule. This guy or gal gets in here and rants just as he did in another post. Here's the deal from my point it appears there's a problem at Prestonsburg and the parents have control of where they take their kids. If someone is so concerned and want to speak with Henry then go see him personally and state your case. I can assure everyone he doesn't get on any website and read things. Floyd County could at anytime end the reciprocal agreement with any county however many families have a job outside of Floyd and that helps them with their kids near. I always think it's best if you're going to rant then go to the source and not say things behind a screen. Send me a pm and I'll see about getting you an appointment.
poppypi2015 Wrote:Almost entire middle school state championship team from Floyd County has transferred to Paintsville after they won the state championship.

[/IMG]

Are these kids starting high school in Floyd County, and then transferring. Or, are they just starting school in Paintsville or Pikeville. If it's the later, it's not considered a transfer.
Creeker Wrote:^ You are right... plus kids have been transferring to JC from Pburg for years as well, case and point Shane Hall. People don't consider it a transfer if it happens before high school it seems though... well people on the receiving end at least. JC also got a few from Martin Co over the last couple of years as well. Academics has nothing to do with any of it.

I would think most people would be O.K with parents moving kids in 3rd Grade. That way these kids are developed in the system. Seems most people would be O.K. with kids moving when they are in middle school that way the program can help to develop their skills. But when kids transfer in the 9th grades year. No more can be said other they the moves was for alethic. Which is OK if the kids have not been recruited. Kids that move after 9th grade needs to be looked on an individual case.
Eagle84 Wrote:I would think most people would be O.K with parents moving kids in 3rd Grade. That way these kids are developed in the system. Seems most people would be O.K. with kids moving when they are in middle school that way the program can help to develop their skills. But when kids transfer in the 9th grades year. No more can be said other they the moves was for alethic. Which is OK if the kids have not been recruited. Kids that move after 9th grade needs to be looked on an individual case.
I agree. Personally, I think if you want to move your kid, whether it be 3rd grade or 9th grade, that's your choice, but that's just me. I always looked at these situations and thought, how could a parent move their kid due to sports, but I have since seen first hand that I would do the same with my kids if they were playing a sport they love and the coaching/program is subpar at best. However, I think that should be because the parent/kids made that choice not because they were recruited by a middle school/high school coach.
ACT scores have nothing to do with it..Ive known several transfers personally and their familys. ACT/academics had absolutely 0% to do with those familys decision..It was purely sports and that's their decision to make. Even if I wish more would stay at home and play the way things have been I can understand it. Its not my decision to make, a person has to do what they think is best for their own..
Transfers have been happening for a long time but we know more about it today than we use to do to sites like this and social media. I remember a 15th region champion that had three starters who were transfers and two of them drove from another county every day to play there
I know of numerous people who have personally went to Webb's office and stated their case but nothing has been done!! Webb has listened to these concerns for the last 3-5 years and promises change but year after year nothing is done. The parents I talked to said they felt they had no choice but to do what was in their child's best interest academically and in athletics. These are great kids in the classroom and on the field/court. Best of luck!!
Parents have told me the same thing. Parents have voiced concerns for the past two years and quite often. No reason to schedule a meeting with someone and state your "case" when there has already been meeting after meeting. As far a reciprocal agreements go that is a BOE decision. Last time that was tried in Floyd County there were quite a few family and community members at the board meeting. It became a little heated. The BOE backtracked real quick.
Different board
But why hurt families that their kids go with them out of county where they work. People that transfer their kids need to be happy and support whatever school they attend.
I thought Floyd was ahead of the other schools around.
Wyatt Earp Wrote:I thought Floyd was ahead of the other schools around.

according to this they are 6th in the state based on these criteria. take that for what its worth..I think the only two districts in about a 15 county area that were named "districts of distinction" were Paintsville independent and Floyd co..Floyd county being the only one in the top 10 overall.
http://www.ekbtv.com/news/floyd-county-s...-statewide
I don't know the situation at Pburg but this has been going on at BL for years. Kids leave to thinking they will better themselves in sports. A lot more often than not what happens (in basketball I have noticed) it breaks up a team that "could be" a regional contender and creates a couple or sometimes multiple mid level and/or lower level teams. This has been the case 95% of the time with only a couple of exceptions. The only group that stayed the course at BL over that time span won the 2011 All "A" state championship and was a favorite to win the region that year falling just short. I would love to have seen what could have been at BL knowing the talent that it's feeder programs produced.
Different board same results with agreement. Parents have sent children to schools here in Johnson for years. They have also sent their children to Pikeville/Pike County for years. It's called culture. Success in athletics is part of the overall school culture. Students like to be part of successful schools and participate on successful athletic teams. They also like to have the opportunity to chose from a variety of activities. Schools outside Floyd have more to offer. Tennis, golf, soccer, track, band. Prestonsburg used to have a great band. Now they don't have a band. Haven't had one for years. Maybe Floyd should look in the mirror and say; what can we do for our kids to get them to stay instead of complaining about other schools when their students leave.
I see some on this site have referenced test scores. Let's take a look at ACT scores. That is what parents use as a measuring stick, why, because that is what colleges and universities use to award scholarships and they have plenty of research that correlates ACT scores and student success in professional programs offered by colleges and universities. The following info is the latest provided by KDE that I was able to find. The percentage of students tested as juniors that met the college benchmarks.

English. Math. Reading
Floyd county. 40.1. 27.8. 31.3
Johnson co. 49.4. 32.6. 36.1
Paintsville 77.3. 47.4. 59.1
Pikeville. 73.3. 58.7. 64.0
Pike Central. 41.7. 25.7. 34.5
What kids are tested at these schools. Just wondering
Culture incorporates many things. I don't know about Prestonsburg and their culture or Paintsville. I have friends at both schools but haven't spent an hour inside the school. I suppose I'm just a simple person that gets out very little.
These scores have little to do with the Floyd Co school system and everything to do with the clientele taking the test at the given schools . Look statewide and you will more affluent areas and small independent districts always score better. I'm certain if a kid stayed at Gloyd, they'd get same opportunities as a kid going to Paintsville. But everyone always sees it greener on the other side
Ahh. An educated man
Once a kid is in High School a coach from another High School should not be recruited by another High School coach .
Floyd Countu has a right to be mad !!!!!
Ok, so the question I have is, and maybe it's an easy answer, I don't know. So the Superintendent has banned all Floyd Co. teams from participating in any athletic event, against all athletic programs from Paintsville, Pikeville, and soon to be Johnson Central.
Lets say for example, Basketball next season, if Floyd Central, who on paper could be a favorite to make a run at winning the 15th Region, plays a semi final game against say, Pikeville? Paintsville? Is this "ban" for the regular season only? Does this include all post season in all sports as well? Would Floyd Central have to forfeit their chance at a Championship? Just because they are playing the said banned teams mentioned. Maybe someone can answer this on here, and maybe it's an obvious answer that no, the so called ban is regular season only, or maybe it will not be so easy to answer, because it sounds like there hasn't been many answers what so ever when it comes to getting them from Henry Webb.