Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Johnson Central 8 Ashland 7
Painter Wrote:As for Drew OBryan....that guy was spectacular tonight. His reception which was called back by penalty was the best snag I've seen in a game in several years. He was clearly one of the very best talents on the field.

I thought the same thing, I was amazed anyone could make that catch, pure athletic ability.
Personally both teams needed a game like this. Helps refocus for the playoffs. the 2 best teams in 4A played tonight. And it was a classic
Tomcat112087 Wrote:Personally both teams needed a game like this. Helps refocus for the playoffs. the 2 best teams in 4A played tonight. And it was a classic

I would have to agree.
Tomcat112087 Wrote:Personally both teams needed a game like this. Helps refocus for the playoffs. the 2 best teams in 4A played tonight. And it was a classic

South Warren may have something to say about that.
It was a great game last night by two outstanding defensive teams. Ashland looked much better than I expected. I expect a rematch and I expect that the winner will bring home the state title. It was my first trip to Putnam Stadium since it was renovated and it is a great venue for a football game. The only negative is the parking, but it was a nice evening for a long walk.
Painter Wrote:Counterpoint - In all honesty, I didnt see the behavior you mention TP and I was pretty much right on top of the Ashland sideline. Quentin, like every Tomcat out there tonight played their hearts out. If his actions were as bad as you describe, could it be chalked up to the heat of battle? Every time I have talked to this young man, he has been nothing but very respectful and mannerly. I can think of many adjectives to describe him, but thuggish aint one of em. IMO, he is a Tomcat and I have no problem with the way he acts.

As for Drew OBryan....that guy was spectacular tonight. His reception which was called back by penalty was the best snag I've seen in a game in several years. He was clearly one of the very best talents on the field.

You can chalk it up to the heat of battle but I'd be more inclined to attribute it to lack of discipline from the coaching staff. You can usually separate the superior coaches from the others by observing how they handle their "star" players. Often, the lesser light coaches use two sets of standards and tend to look away from poor conduct from some while punishing others. They don't want to rock the boat or, maybe in this case, skin the tomcat.

And, as for the need for him to "act like a Tomcat", many of us who don't worship at the throne on Blazer Blvd. would add that, indeed, he did act like a Tomcat.
Passing up a FG in the first half and going for it on 4th and goal from the 4 was a huge coaching blunder, IMO. You can't say that if Ashland had made a FG at that point, Ashland would have won by that margin - but it would have changed the second half strategy and forced JC to put another score on the board.

Matney's decision to go for two early in the 3rd quarter was the second difference maker on the sidelines. It was obvious by that time that the two teams' defenses were dominating play. Matney decided to go for the lead in regulation instead of taking a bigger chance that he would have to make the same decision in OT on the road. Making Ashland play from behind in the second half was a big factor in the final outcome.
Ashland has not got their do credit all year. They are very good. They lost last night to an exceptional Johnson County bunch.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Passing up a FG in the first half and going for it on 4th and goal from the 4 was a huge coaching blunder, IMO. You can't say that if Ashland had made a FG at that point, Ashland would have won by that margin - but it would have changed the second half strategy and forced JC to put another score on the board.

Matney's decision to go for two early in the 3rd quarter was the second difference maker on the sidelines. It was obvious by that time that the two teams' defenses were dominating play. Matney decided to go for the lead in regulation instead of taking a bigger chance that he would have to make the same decision in OT on the road. Making Ashland play from behind in the second half was a big factor in the final outcome.

A point I have yet to see was how many of those timeouts were used by both coaches to avoid Delay of Game penalties. It would be understandable playing in a stadium that doesn't have them but when you've got a clock in each end zone those things can't happen. Using those timeouts early on really affected the way Ashland had to call the game particularly on the last series.
Baker proved he gives Ashland a chance against anybody.
E's Army Wrote:Baker proved he gives Ashland a chance against anybody.

And their D. Mr. OByran #2 along with Baker give Ashland a fighting chance against anybody.
T-CATS Wrote:And their D. Mr. OByran #2 along with Baker give Ashland a fighting chance against anybody.

I was more impressed with O'Bryan than Baker last night. Baker got his yards and the TD run was AMAZING, but it seemed that he let his emotions get the best of him.

Ashland is solid but unless Baker can compose himself on the field, he hurts the Tomcats in some aspects of the game...in spite of all of the good he does.
Painter Wrote:Counterpoint - In all honesty, I didnt see the behavior you mention TP and I was pretty much right on top of the Ashland sideline. Quentin, like every Tomcat out there tonight played their hearts out. If his actions were as bad as you describe, could it be chalked up to the heat of battle? Every time I have talked to this young man, he has been nothing but very respectful and mannerly. I can think of many adjectives to describe him, but thuggish aint one of em. IMO, he is a Tomcat and I have no problem with the way he acts.

As for Drew OBryan....that guy was spectacular tonight. His reception which was called back by penalty was the best snag I've seen in a game in several years. He was clearly one of the very best talents on the field.
I love ya Painter but I'm sticking to my guns on this one. I've been in many battles on the field of play and I've never acted like that on the field and until this season I've never seen Quentin act like this and I'm not sure why he's doing it now. If it didn't happen why was he pulled of the field by the coaching staff for a series in the third quarter? Coach Love and Dowdy better get him straightened out because next week at Tates Creek and in the playoffs because non local officials won't put up with him acting like this and they will toss him. We all know what that means too because without Quentin he have no offense.
Drew Obryan proved once again last night that he is the best linebacker in the state despite of all the drooling that Kash Daniel gets from the ADI and other local media. Its to the point that is getting hilarious to read. The best thing about Drew is that he acts like he's been in the spot light before. I also think that as we enter into the second part of the season he has to be featured more on offense for us to succeed.
Tomcat Pride Wrote:Drew Obryan proved once again last night that he is the best linebacker in the state despite of all the drooling that Kash Daniel gets from the ADI and other local media. Its to the point that is getting hilarious to read. The best thing about Drew is that he acts like he's been in the spot light before. I also think that as we enter into the second part of the season he has to be featured more on offense for us to succeed.
I call bullshit on this. OBryan is no doubt a stud but to say he's better than Kash is ridiculous.. You lost all credibility there.
Tomcat Pride Wrote:Drew Obryan proved once again last night that he is the best linebacker in the state despite of all the drooling that Kash Daniel gets from the ADI and other local media. Its to the point that is getting hilarious to read. The best thing about Drew is that he acts like he's been in the spot light before. I also think that as we enter into the second part of the season he has to be featured more on offense for us to succeed.

If Tomcat Pride and a few others were making the selections, we wouldn't have to play the season and playoffs. Baker and O'Bryan share the Mr. Football title, Ashland wins 4A, and Ashland dominates the all-state team. Fans is short for "fanatics". That sure applies to Ashlanders, doesn't it.

By the way, are Baker and O'Bryan going to The Ohio State, Alabama, Note Dame, or Baylor? From these Ashland posts, these guys have to be at the top of the list for these schools.

Ah, the Son of NotsoBADCAT, a one man gaffe machine. And here I thought nobody could top Joe Biden for spewing just plain stupidity.

Btw, Prideful one, he's our Vice President. Just thought I would save you some time of looking that little tidbit up.
These two teams could very well be the best in 4A this year. Looks like it was a "not so bad" game. Confusednicker:
i am offended
WideMiddle03 Wrote:i am offended

You, NotsoBADCAT, and Son of NotsoBADCATCAT, all need to crawl back in your slimy little hole...:biggrin:

Soooomebody's jealous.Confusednicker:
Tomcat Pride Wrote:Wow what a game. It was like two heavy weight champs going toe to toe and punching it out. I know this post may cause some of my Tomcat brethren to be upset with me but I have to say it. I'm extremely disappointed with the way Quentin Baker acted both during the game and after the game. He was cussing his coaches and teammates the entire night. After the game he took off his helmet and pounded it to the ground and cursed at the coaching staff. During the game I saw him throw at least three different punches at the defenders after they brought him down cleanly. I mean come on I hate Johnson Central as much as anybody but Baker was acting like a spoiled brat and Coach Love needs to show some balls and hold him accountable. Quentin has actred thuggish all year and if they don't get it under control its going to haunt Ashland in the playoffs. It's getting sickening to watch and something has to be done.
I'm extremely pissed right now over the way our stud is carrying himself on the field. He's not playing at Fairview! He's a damn Tomcat and he needs to start acting like it!

Hats off to Drew Obryan tonight. He played like a champion and led his team both on and off the field. Proud of you Drew!

When you see finger pointing among the ranks you can always tell when there is trouble in paradise.

Rome is crumbling right before our very eyes.
Bob Seger Wrote:You, NotsoBADCAT, and Son of NotsoBADCATCAT, all need to crawl back in your slimy little hole...:biggrin:

i will until vector comes back
then we r going to destroy the conseratives in debate
WideMiddle03 Wrote:i will until vector comes back
then we r going to destroy the conseratives in debate

lol
WideRight05 Wrote:These two teams could very well be the best in 4A this year. Looks like it was a "not so bad" game. Confusednicker:

I live my life knowing that everything is "Not so Bad".
Tomcat Pride Wrote:I love ya Painter but I'm sticking to my guns on this one. I've been in many battles on the field of play and I've never acted like that on the field and until this season I've never seen Quentin act like this and I'm not sure why he's doing it now. If it didn't happen why was he pulled of the field by the coaching staff for a series in the third quarter? Coach Love and Dowdy better get him straightened out because next week at Tates Creek and in the playoffs because non local officials won't put up with him acting like this and they will toss him. We all know what that means too because without Quentin he have no offense.

Oh I see, you just save it for message boards?

:popcorn:
Tomcat Pride Wrote:I love ya Painter but I'm sticking to my guns on this one. I've been in many battles on the field of play and I've never acted like that on the field and until this season I've never seen Quentin act like this and I'm not sure why he's doing it now. If it didn't happen why was he pulled of the field by the coaching staff for a series in the third quarter? Coach Love and Dowdy better get him straightened out because next week at Tates Creek and in the playoffs because non local officials won't put up with him acting like this and they will toss him. We all know what that means too because without Quentin he have no offense.

I respect your viewpoint TP. My opinion is shaped much by a handful of times I have talked to QB and as I wrote earlier, he is well spoken and respectful young man.

It's going to be interesting to see how Ashland responds to this loss. It's like that old saying from V. Lombardi: Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Was it just me... or did it feel like the 1st half was the fastest half of football in history.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
And yes as much as it pains me to say it....

Putnam is much better now. Better seats (but I stood the entire game) more bathrooms and concession stands are great.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Was it just me... or did it feel like the 1st half was the fastest half of football in history.

I thought the same thing