Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashland 41 Raceland 21
nekysportsfan Wrote:No doubt Baker is the difference maker. However, there were several Ashland players better than Raceland's best and it's really not even close. What a luxury to be able to play Kurtlen Brown almost exclusively on defense.

Did NOTsoBADCAT get to play last night?
DevilWatcher Wrote:Great game but I had to tune in to Dicky M. Ugh I wanted to shove a caulking gun into my ear. Wish I had a nickel for every time I heard "He's a special player"... "the transfer can play"....and of course "give the ball to baker...give the ball to baker" Coach Love pretty much said Ashlands penalties were retaliation penalties. Guess it got ugly in the trenches.

Be sure to listen to the Johnson Central game this year if you want to hear him with caulk in his mouth.

Of course you'll be able to get rich, a nickel at a time, for every time he says
"Matney's a cheater" or "the refs are cheaters".

:biglmao:
Bob Seger Wrote:Dickie Ball!, Dickie Ball!, Dickie Ball!!:Cheerlead:Cheerlead

I know I cant wait to hear Dickie in late season form when Johnson Central puts their annual running clock on Ashland. :yikes::yikes:

Let's see if the "special" player can pick up more than 19 yards this year.

Should be quite the evening!!:rockon:

Bye Felica!!!! :lame:
T-CATS Wrote:Bye Felica!!!! :lame:

Hurts all the way down to the bone, don't it?

:Clap:
Bob Seger Wrote:Hurts all the way down to the bone, don't it?

:Clap:

:notworthy I guess we should just go ahead and give JC their ring, not!! They are going to have to earn it and Ashland won't lay down. This team will give them all they want and then some.
T-CATS Wrote::notworthy I guess we should just go ahead and give JC their ring, not!! They are going to have to earn it and Ashland won't lay down. This team will give them all they want and then some.
Since Matney arrived and JC joined Ashland's district, the Golden Eagles have earned almost every district title. If the Tomcats win the district this season, it will be a major upset.
T-CATS Wrote::notworthy I guess we should just go ahead and give JC their ring, not!! They are going to have to earn it and Ashland won't lay down. This team will give them all they want and then some.

It would certainly save you all a lot of time, effort, and heartbreak.:lmao:

Did NotSoBADCAT get to play any last night?
Scotty what were the Rams passing numbers? That was the one place I thought they needed the most improvement to get over the hump and on their way to Bowling Green.
I know this is off topic from the Ashland-Raceland game, but I am curious. Bob Seger, what is the history between you and NotSoBadCat? You're always mentioning that name on here and I was just wondering why?

On the topic of the game and the 2 teams, I still think Raceland can win the east in 1A. Ashland has some tough games coming up with George Washington, Ironton, and Russell. They need to settle on a QB and come up with a passing game of some sort in those games.

Obviously, it is August. The air is filled with pollen and claims of grandeur. It happens every year and lasts until late October or early November when the fickle finger of reality reveals its ugly self.

There is one difference. Ashland, for a change, won't be destroyed by Fort Thomas Highlands or Covington Catholic.
Highlands win last year vs Ashland was hardly a mercy.
nekysportsfan Wrote:I know this is off topic from the Ashland-Raceland game, but I am curious. Bob Seger, what is the history between you and NotSoBadCat? You're always mentioning that name on here and I was just wondering why?

On the topic of the game and the 2 teams, I still think Raceland can win the east in 1A. Ashland has some tough games coming up with George Washington, Ironton, and Russell. They need to settle on a QB and come up with a passing game of some sort in those games.

Simply a fan from afar. You know how we all have our idols.

:Thumbs:
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:The numbers should speak for themselves in that regaurd. BUT, Ashland's LB corps is the best I have seen in a long time, they were the difference in shutting our offense down in the 1st quarter. Baker had 4 of Ashland's TDs. If Baker isnt involved I think Raceland grinds out a win. Q is a once in ever 15-20 years kind of a player. Especially the 2015 edition. Up until this year I saw him as a D1 tallent that could slip through the cracks and end up leaving Marshall for a smaller school. Now? I think he could potentially be one of the best backs in the conference someday. Interested to see him and Paledino square off. Mu game ball goes to that O'Bryan and the other LBs though.

I agree Scotty. Baker was the only diffrence in this game, just like he will be all season. With out him its a fairly even matchup. When you key on someone like him it puts kids out of position and lets others make plays that they normally don't make. I thought Racelands passing game was better than Ashlands, #17 got burnt all night. a lot of Rams receivers were open.
Not many Bakers around. He will make Ashland very dangerous as the year goes along.
E's Army Wrote:Scotty what were the Rams passing numbers? That was the one place I thought they needed the most improvement to get over the hump and on their way to Bowling Green.

13/22 for 139 1 td. 3 balls dropped. Passing game is improving.
I agree that Baker was the difference in the game. I wouldn't say he was the ONLY difference, though. Ashland's defense completely shut down Raceland's running game. Also, I think if Ashland had given Kurtlen Brown 10 more carries, he would have broken off a couple of long TD's as well. Ashland's line is improved from last year, too.

The only negatives I saw for Ashland were the numerous personal foul/unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, the idea of rotating QB's, the 2 turnovers from the rotating QB's, the lack of a passing game, the lack of a pass rush, and the couple of long passes that Raceland completed. Geez...when I list them all out like that, Ashland has a LOT to work on this season before meeting Bob Seger's Johnson Central squad.

It's very possible that Raceland has a happier thanksgiving than Ashland, but Ashland is a way better team across the board.
If Ashland improves as much as Raceland did week 1 to week 2 and then continues to improve execution. Baker is a rare jewel for sure but this team has a chance to be real stingy on defense.
nekysportsfan Wrote:I agree that Baker was the difference in the game. I wouldn't say he was the ONLY difference, though. Ashland's defense completely shut down Raceland's running game. Also, I think if Ashland had given Kurtlen Brown 10 more carries, he would have broken off a couple of long TD's as well. Ashland's line is improved from last year, too.

The only negatives I saw for Ashland were the numerous personal foul/unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, the idea of rotating QB's, the 2 turnovers from the rotating QB's, the lack of a passing game, the lack of a pass rush, and the couple of long passes that Raceland completed. Geez...when I list them all out like that, Ashland has a LOT to work on this season before meeting Bob Seger's Johnson Central squad.It's very possible that Raceland has a happier thanksgiving than Ashland, but Ashland is a way better team across the board.

I'm a Lawrence Co. fan by the way.:biggrin::Cheerlead
washed up Wrote:Highlands win last year vs Ashland was hardly a mercy.

I'm pleased that that gives you comfort.
I am pleased that you admit your error.
:hilarious:
Bob Seger Wrote:I'm a Lawrence Co. fan by the way.:biggrin::Cheerlead
washed up Wrote:I am pleased that you admit your error.

No error. What I am pointing out is that you boys have sunk to the level whereby, when, for whatever reason, you are not destroyed by a real tradition laden power, you find joy. That is not the sign of strength, is it?

I did look at your schedule and, except for Johnson Central, there are no really top notch teams on it. Even Ironton, Ohio is not what it used to be. You should have a winning season if that is what is meaningful to you. Enjoy it.
I agree we have taken steps backward on the big stage and while you discount last years game and call it a moral victory. I am hopeful that it was a step in the right direction of the program. Truth is this team has decided to build on that performance and set their eyes on a big prize. If they fall short so be it nothing ventured nothing gained. I would also venture to say outside of Boyd and East and maybe Tates Creek all other opponents on the schedule will be above .500. You can troll the threads and take your shots and have your fun. if they prove you wrong I won't call you out. If they prove you right you will feed your mini me with jabs. Just one of the many differences between us.
Bob Seger Wrote:I'm a Lawrence Co. fan by the way.:biggrin::Cheerlead

Everybody loves the DAWGS!
dawg fan Wrote:Everybody loves the DAWGS!

Not on October 2 LOL. :biggrin:
washed up Wrote:I agree we have taken steps backward on the big stage and while you discount last years game and call it a moral victory. I am hopeful that it was a step in the right direction of the program. Truth is this team has decided to build on that performance and set their eyes on a big prize. If they fall short so be it nothing ventured nothing gained. I would also venture to say outside of Boyd and East and maybe Tates Creek all other opponents on the schedule will be above .500. You can troll the threads and take your shots and have your fun. if they prove you wrong I won't call you out. If they prove you right you will feed your mini me with jabs. Just one of the many differences between us.

Good and positive post. To be honest, we in the north will miss your boys. But, as for the "big stage" reference, you haven't been there for a quarter of a century. But, optimism springs eternal and you should be commended for your attitude. And, I would agree that there are many differences between us. Enjoy your season.
Ashland was just better from coaching all the way to the water boys , they beat us up front , they were in Racelands backfield all night , defensively Raceland couldn't get off blocks only question I have is and trust me it wasn't a factor in the game but how do throw so many flags and keep picking them up its either a flag or not
tomcats have a lot of work to do. 1st game of season exposed a lot of tomcat weakness's on both offense and defense against a mid-level 1a team. if the tomcats expect to beat jc they will have to improve. as for the rams, they have a long road to go to catch paintsville and i am not sure anyone can catch pikeville.
There were two flags picked up and two offsetting unsportsmanlike if I remember correctly
Im not sold on Paintsville being leaps and bounds ahead of either Raceland or Fairview just yet. They havent really seen anyone to tell us how good they are. But they will this week, bc Pikeville is darn good. Watched some film snd they are much quicker upfront than they were last year. Ive said it before though, Raceland has alot to work on to get to where they need to be.