Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell 19 Belfry 0
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:I have heard that he will retire from teaching after Christmas break and he will continue to coach .... I bet he continues for atleast another 4 years....MAYBE!!????

Don't you have to work for the school system in order to be a head coach?
I believe one can coach without being a teacher. I believe you must have 64 hours and be hired by the school and Super as a coach. This position is an extra duty position and is not treated the same as a classroom teacher. So it can be done.
If you are retired then you are still drawing a check form the school system which would mean that you are still employed sometype of way, RIGHT?????
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
BoondockSaint Wrote:mrfootball03

Why can't you just admit that Russell had the better team this year?

It comes down to the Jimmy's & Joe's more than it does X's & O's. And believe me, both of those coaches know the X's & O's.

Because the play calling that Haywood makes, is so predictable..
Thats how people like Russell shut down Belfry....
I think these two teams were extremely evenly matched...
The difference was the coaching.. Russell killed Belfry in the coaching matchup
Belfry is so predictable, and everyone knows what they are going to do
But most of the time people can't stop them.. Thats what they rely on..
The only thing is, when Belfry meet teams who can stop them, they have no other options to go to... In 03', 04', you could depend on the talented athletic abilities of the goto guys to rely on to make the big plays.. but since then, Belfry hasn't had those caliber of players, they are going to have to be able to have other options to be able to win
Belfry can't depend on smashmouth football 100% of the time..
Sometimes your going to meet teams with more athletic teams, with players who can get to the ball.. then you have to outsmart them.. and Belfry has never seemed to be able to do that...
It's easier to stop someone, when you know what they are going to do..
And you always know what Belfry is going to do..
I just think they need to rethink thier play calling in these situations..
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:I did hear the RUMOR that Haywood was retiring this year.... any body down in Belfry heard this.. I think this had to do with somethings on the team this year.. I dont know for sure but heard a rumor.......

That goes around every year..
The truth is, Phillip Haywood makes too much money to be giving up football..
And I especially don't see him leaving this soon into the new school era..
I expect to see Haywood coaching for at least 4 or 5 years
mrfootball03 Wrote:Because the play calling that Haywood makes, is so predictable..
The only thing is, when Belfry meet teams who can stop them, they have no other options to go to... In 03', 04', you could depend on the talented athletic abilities of the goto guys to rely on to make the big plays.. but since then, Belfry hasn't had those caliber of players, they are going to have to be able to have other options to be able to win
Sometimes your going to meet teams with more athletic teams, with players who can get to the ball.. then you have to outsmart them.. and Belfry has never seemed to be able to do that...

Well put
mrfootball03 Wrote:That goes around every year..
The truth is, Phillip Haywood makes too much money to be giving up football..
And I especially don't see him leaving this soon into the new school era..
I expect to see Haywood coaching for at least 4 or 5 years

I think I heard on the radio that Haywood is staying at Belfry until he has 300 wins... Im pretty sure he has around 292 or 293 right now, so after next year he may very well retire...A sad day for the Pond Creek Nation when that happen's
Congrats to Russell and good luck at the pizza box. Great year Pirates and no matter what I will always love Belfry football and am always proud to be part of the Pond Creek Nation.
mrfootball03 Wrote:Because the play calling that Haywood makes, is so predictable..

I really couldn't disagree with this more.

If Belfry's play calling is predictable. Russell's is just screaming "IT COMING RIGHT HERE". 15-20 plays from the shotgun spread formation for Belfry. That is a big change in playcalling don't you think?

The difference in the game wasn't playcalling. It was execution and controlling the line of scrimmage. Russell did both better.
6 or 8 of those plays came on Belfry's last real drive towards the end of the 4th quarter. Belfry's pass plays aren't rally predictible because you don't come into a game against Belfry worrying about them passing the ball. But the running game is all too predictable. Belfry's line was overwhelmed on the running plays because it seemed almost like Russell knew exactly what they were doing. But I only remember 2 or 3 times that Russell got preassure on the quarterback when he dropped back to pass. Unfortunately one of those happened to be a fumble.
Coach Wrote:6 or 8 of those plays came on Belfry's last real drive towards the end of the 4th quarter. Belfry's pass plays aren't rally predictible because you don't come into a game against Belfry worrying about them passing the ball. But the running game is all too predictable. Belfry's line was overwhelmed on the running plays because it seemed almost like Russell knew exactly what they were doing. But I only remember 2 or 3 times that Russell got preassure on the quarterback when he dropped back to pass. Unfortunately one of those happened to be a fumble.

OK, nobody ever said that Belfry's running game was tricky. But its not like it was any secret where Russell was going either. There was nothing tricky from either side. Russell simply out executed Belfry along the line of scrimmage.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:I have heard that he will retire from teaching after Christmas break and he will continue to coach .... I bet he continues for atleast another 4 years....MAYBE!!????

Think that might be a rumor. About the teaching that is.

I understand what you are saying, but I still think Russell had the better team, hands down.

They were bigger, stonger, and faster across the board than Belfry was this year, which is kind of to be expected considering that overall the team was pretty young.
FBALL Wrote:I really couldn't disagree with this more.

If Belfry's play calling is predictable. Russell's is just screaming "IT COMING RIGHT HERE". 15-20 plays from the shotgun spread formation for Belfry. That is a big change in playcalling don't you think?

The difference in the game wasn't playcalling. It was execution and controlling the line of scrimmage. Russell did both better.

Not really.. Belfry wasn't really getting blown off the ball..
Belfry on defense was getting to the quarterback.. there was just too much
blown coverage.. But you can't expect Chapman & Epling to be able to go up and knock balls down against Clark & others... They just don't have the size..
Belfry was executing what they were supposed to on offense, but Russell knew where it was going to, and getting to & plugging up the holes..

Everyone knows Belfry is going to go with May up the middle most everytime..
Russell ran alot of reverses and no one really knew where the ball was..
Not only that, you never knew when they were going to drop back and throw..
Belfry only started passing when they were down 13-0 late in the game, and was forced to throw to slow the clock down..
But as for the playbooks concerned.. Belfry's is simple, always has been...
Its hasn't changed any since I played....
mrfootball03 Wrote:Not really.. Belfry wasn't really getting blown off the ball..
Belfry on defense was getting to the quarterback.. there was just too much
blown coverage.. But you can't expect Chapman & Epling to be able to go up and knock balls down against Clark & others... They just don't have the size..
Belfry was executing what they were supposed to on offense, but Russell knew where it was going to, and getting to & plugging up the holes..

Everyone knows Belfry is going to go with May up the middle most everytime..
Russell ran alot of reverses and no one really knew where the ball was..
Not only that, you never knew when they were going to drop back and throw..
Belfry only started passing when they were down 13-0 late in the game, and was forced to throw to slow the clock down..
But as for the playbooks concerned.. Belfry's is simple, always has been...
Its hasn't changed any since I played....

That is my point. Russell's is just as simple. It hasn't changed since I played and that was in the 1980's. (Dang I'm old) Then and now you could put the entire playbook on one piece of notebook paper.(Front side only)

Both of these teams new exactly what the other was going to do. Haywood and McGlone have faced each other many many times. Not just the last three state semi-finals.

Sometimes simpler is better.
FBALL Wrote:That is my point. Russell's is just as simple. It hasn't changed since I played and that was in the 1980's. (Dang I'm old) Then and now you could put the entire playbook on one piece of notebook paper.(Front side only)

Both of these teams new exactly what the other was going to do. Haywood and McGlone have faced each other many many times. Not just the last three state semi-finals.

Thank you...both teams had a good game plan. Russell's game plan worked better because they had the stronger horses plowing the field.
We have some bigger horses for next year........OUr line will absolutely be the biggest I have ever seen at Russell.... and they are athletic... Cornwell comes back, Hicks, Harvey, New kid, Ross May, Mikey Dillon, Bender and Mickey Brown.. Absolutely solid.
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
FBALL Wrote:That is my point. Russell's is just as simple. It hasn't changed since I played and that was in the 1980's. (Dang I'm old) Then and now you could put the entire playbook on one piece of notebook paper.(Front side only)

You took the words right out of my mouth.......
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:We have some bigger horses for next year........OUr line will absolutely be the biggest I have ever seen at Russell.... and they are athletic... Cornwell comes back, Hicks, Harvey, New kid, Ross May, Mikey Dillon, Bender and Mickey Brown.. Absolutely solid.

From what i've seen and heard about Russell's returning linemen next year... They should have an absolutley monsterous line, they're shortest linemen should be around what, 6'3-6'5? The new kid they got this year is supposedly 6'10, and "sasquatch" is 6'6... The height of the line is like a D-1 college school's line... Of course im sure they're a few pounds off from being that height and size, but still, in high school, thats rediculous
http://www.russell-ind.k12.ky.us/reddevi...roster.htm
Check out the returning lineman for next year...