Poll: Who Wins
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Fort Thomas Highlands
82.50%
Ashland
17.50%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashland @ Fort Thomas Highlands 11-14
T-CATS Wrote:No but Long and Baker both will be at safety and it will be very hard for anyone to get behind them. Both can fly!!

If that's indeed the case then the Birds will likely settle for the shorter routes and nickel and dime Ashland to death. Highlands is one of the best teams in the state in taking what the defense gives them.

If they need to pass, Hoge throws for 5 TDs and 300+ yards, if they need to run, they run for 300+ yards (like they did vs. Bryan Station and Covington Catholic)

Safe travels up the AA hwy.
horst muhlmann Wrote:If that's indeed the case then the Birds will likely settle for the shorter routes and nickel and dime Ashland to death. Highlands is one of the best teams in the state in taking what the defense gives them.

If they need to pass, Hoge throws for 5 TDs and 300+ yards, if they need to run, they run for 300+ yards (like they did vs. Bryan Station and Covington Catholic)

Safe travels up the AA hwy.

HHS has enough players they can run different offenses (and defenses, for that matter) in packages (different sets of players for the style they wish to run on a given night). No one else can do that in the state outside of 3 Louisville 6A teams and one 5A team in Bowling Green.

:popcorn:
I will take my chances with them running and nickel and diming us over the quick scores. Make them sustain drives and eat clock along with hopefully turnovers. That's the only chance Ashland has and it's not a great one at that. As someone else said Ashland needs to try everything and leave nothing on the table. If I was coaching not sure I would punt any and go for every 4th down along with onside kicking every time I got the chance. Nothing to lose.
T-CATS Wrote:I will take my chances with them running and nickel and diming us over the quick scores. Make them sustain drives and eat clock along with hopefully turnovers. That's the only chance Ashland has and it's not a great one at that. As someone else said Ashland needs to try everything and leave nothing on the table. If I was coaching not sure I would punt any and go for every 4th down along with onside kicking every time I got the chance. Nothing to lose.

Under new coach, HHS has not been as quick strike offense. He does not throw the long pass as much and uses short pass a lot more. I am not to sure you want to go on 4th down all the time or onside kick, if you are not successfull, HHS will put a ton of points up quickly with the short field!
I don't think Ashland can sit back and play a conventional game and win. Going to have to take a lot of risks to stay in or have a shot to win and going on every 4th down is maybe one they should consider. I ve heard or seen a story about a coach somewhere who never punts and did some research on it.
horst muhlmann Wrote:Safe travels up the AA hwy.

:welcome: First and foremost. If we can be of any help picking restaurants or anything, just yell.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Cannon Still Roars.....
Ashland has a much more respectable staff than Johnson Central so I wish them the best, but they're about to face an offense for which there are no answers in containing. Ask Elder. The Birds are for real.
Question for those that have seen Baker. Obviously he has to be a talented player, but would he have gotten looks from UK if not for his father? He does look to be on the small side and good but not great speed (going by track times). Who you are related to can for sure open some doors for you. I think this was the case for Collinsworth when he was at HHS; he was a talented player, but I do not think ND comes calling if not for who his father is. Not trying at all to put this kid down, just curious what people that have seen him play think of him and how he will do at UK. I am excited to get to see him play (he did not play last 2 times against HHS), and will be cheering for him (after tonight!).
Baker isn't a strong back. He jukes to the left spins to the right. He does most his work after he gets past the line of scrimmage. Not at all downplaying his talent but I truly don't see his SEC potential but I will say he is much better IMO than Arlis Beach who went to UK and then a stint at Green Bay so that does say something.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Ashland has a much more respectable staff than Johnson Central so I wish them the best, but they're about to face an offense for which there are no answers in containing. Ask Elder. The Birds are for real.

What are the names of the coaches on the staff at Johnson Central that you have an issue with, aside from Matney?
Not sure about onsides and 4th downs but Ashland will need at least three turnovers and convert them to points. They will need Baker to hit a few dingers in the run game as well. It is a monmantal task to say the least but I believe the will show up and play hard. I hope they can hang around and find a way to have a chance. A few years ago Johnson Central was a dropped pass and a two point conversion from beating Highlands. If I were an Ashland believer I would already know what play I would run to get the two. I would sell the kids on the fact that if they can hang around and have a shot this is the play we run. I would have them believing in that play even though it would be a huge hill to climb to even get there. Just the way I think.
washed up Wrote:Not sure about onsides and 4th downs but Ashland will need at least three turnovers and convert them to points. They will need Baker to hit a few dingers in the run game as well. It is a monmantal task to say the least but I believe the will show up and play hard. I hope they can hang around and find a way to have a chance. A few years ago Johnson Central was a dropped pass and a two point conversion from beating Highlands. If I were an Ashland believer I would already know what play I would run to get the two. I would sell the kids on the fact that if they can hang around and have a shot this is the play we run. I would have them believing in that play even though it would be a huge hill to climb to even get there. Just the way I think.

They need to worry more about how to get the ball in the endzone and even more how to slow up Highlands offense!
Lynch47 Wrote:What are the names of the coaches on the staff at Johnson Central that you have an issue with, aside from Matney?

Hey Lynch, you're dealing with a bona fide idiot here, so I wouldn't waste the first second worrying about someone who doesn't know jack S&%# about Matney or any other member of the coaching staff to begin with.

Heck, even the Highland fans think he is total waste and an embarrassment.
Highlands just scored a TD before the game started