Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Lex. Christian
29.03%
Shelby Valley
70.97%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lexington Christian @ Shelby Valley (11/14)
no doubt SV has good defense, But LCA has played defenses that are as good as or better than SV so they have seen good run defenses before so it not like that will be new to them. LCA will show up so like I said earlier should be a great game.
cctiger Wrote:I bet Shelby valley would spot a touchdown if they promised them Whitman won't play and they will only run the back up Bc he's terrible.

I will tell Shelby Valley fans in the LCA and Leslie County game was tie after halftime 27-27. And Whitman went down right before halftime, starting the 2nd half a freshman running back for LCA took over the game. LCA didn't miss a beat, This kid was awesome....:Cheerlead.
64SUR Wrote:I will tell Shelby Valley fans in the LCA and Leslie County game was tie after halftime 27-27. And Whitman went down right before halftime, starting the 2nd half a freshman running back for LCA took over the game. LCA didn't miss a beat, This kid was awesome....:Cheerlead.

Sounds to me like it's not just good backs taking over the game. Someone needs to be giving credit to that offensive line. You don't have a player like Whitman dominate and then his freshman backup come in and dominate as well without someone opening holes for them.

I'm not questioning either of those backs skill and ability to run the football. They will get their yards I'm sure. But, they will have to EARN every single one of them. It's getting to that time in 2A that any team should not have an easy game. Not once have you heard me say that Shelby Valley will run through this team because I don't believe they will. I know this will be a tough matchup for both teams. All I'm saying is, is that I believe Shelby Valley will contain them enough to escape with a win.
I don't care what kinda running back you've got if there getting that kind of yards in games you have to have someone opening holes for you . Sounds like a team effort . All Valley can do is hope to limit and contain those running backs .
LCA is pathetic. Valley by a lot!
This should be a close game.

Shelby Valley 27
LCA 21

Good luck Shelby Valley!!
I have seen BOTH these teams play personally as I have seen LCA play on the road against Somerset and SV play Somerset at home. Obviously BOTH teams have great running games that are fairly even. I think SV passes the ball a little better when they have to. LCA has Whitman though, so I would give LCA the slight edge on offense. I think SV has a slight edge over LCA on the defensive side of the ball. SV is playing at home as well, so you would think that SV should be the favorite. The X factor here is Whitman. This kid is a PLAYER. If his ankle sprain doesn't bother him, SV could be in for a long night. This kid is VERY tough to bring down and I don't think you can keep him bottled up the whole game. I think this game can go either way all depending on if SV can slow down Whitman for at least some of the game. Very tough game to call. I'm going with Shelby Valley 28-LCA 24. Maybe. LOL
shs74 Wrote:I have seen BOTH these teams play personally as I have seen LCA play on the road against Somerset and SV play Somerset at home. Obviously BOTH teams have great running games that are fairly even. I think SV passes the ball a little better when they have to. LCA has Whitman though, so I would give LCA the slight edge on offense. I think SV has a slight edge over LCA on the defensive side of the ball. SV is playing at home as well, so you would think that SV should be the favorite. The X factor here is Whitman. This kid is a PLAYER. If his ankle sprain doesn't bother him, SV could be in for a long night. This kid is VERY tough to bring down and I don't think you can keep him bottled up the whole game. I think this game can go either way all depending on if SV can slow down Whitman for at least some of the game. Very tough game to call. I'm going with Shelby Valley 28-LCA 24. Maybe. LOL

THANKS for posting in the thread !!

IMO, ppl who've actually watched the teams against the same opponent (Somerset, I believe) are the best sources of how two opponents match up...
All these people want to talk about Whitman being the X-factor. I have no doubt that he is an outstanding player with great ability. He had proven it throughout the year and earned respect while doing so. I agree that he will be hard to stop and that Valley will have to do a great job on defense all night. Since the Prestonsburg game, they haven't lost. I think Valley still has a bad taste in their mouth from that game due to the fact that it was at home and they took the loss. The real X factor in Friday nights game will be if Shelby Valley can hold on to the football. Shelby Valleys worst enemy is theirselves. There has not been one team that has stopped them from doing what they want this year besides themselves. Fumbles have killed them. If Valley holds on to the football and moves the football like the can, I feel very confident that the wildcats will win. X factors are sometimes just not players but true factors in the game, such as a defense, special teams, play calling, coaching, etc...
In this case it's if Shelby Valley can hold on to the football.

District 8 was wild this year as we all know with the 3 way tie. Prestonsburg I'm sure feels like they deserve the right to be called district champions as they beat Shelby Valley. Shelby Valley also feels like they've earned it and I believe they did. BUT, I know just from being a fan that if I was a player on Valleys team, I would want another shot at the Blackcats. As I'm sure the Blackcats want another piece of Shelby Valley. If these 2 meet (like I'm hoping) it won't be just deciding for a region championship. It will be in their minds, as who is the REAL district champions. The mix of emotions and competitiveness between those 2 teams is ridiculous and it would be great to see them play eachother again. I hope Valley and Prestonsburg play like champions Friday night and come out with a win. Because the next Friday, at Teco Field, would be one crazy atmosphere & one hell of a football game!
Gator95 Wrote:All these people want to talk about Whitman being the X-factor. I have no doubt that he is an outstanding player with great ability. He had proven it throughout the year and earned respect while doing so. I agree that he will be hard to stop and that Valley will have to do a great job on defense all night. Since the Prestonsburg game, they haven't lost. I think Valley still has a bad taste in their mouth from that game due to the fact that it was at home and they took the loss. The real X factor in Friday nights game will be if Shelby Valley can hold on to the football. Shelby Valleys worst enemy is theirselves. There has not been one team that has stopped them from doing what they want this year besides themselves. Fumbles have killed them. If Valley holds on to the football and moves the football like the can, I feel very confident that the wildcats will win. X factors are sometimes just not players but true factors in the game, such as a defense, special teams, play calling, coaching, etc...
In this case it's if Shelby Valley can hold on to the football.

District 8 was wild this year as we all know with the 3 way tie. Prestonsburg I'm sure feels like they deserve the right to be called district champions as they beat Shelby Valley. Shelby Valley also feels like they've earned it and I believe they did. BUT, I know just from being a fan that if I was a player on Valleys team, I would want another shot at the Blackcats. As I'm sure the Blackcats want another piece of Shelby Valley. If these 2 meet (like I'm hoping) it won't be just deciding for a region championship. It will be in their minds, as who is the REAL district champions. The mix of emotions and competitiveness between those 2 teams is ridiculous and it would be great to see them play eachother again. I hope Valley and Prestonsburg play like champions Friday night and come out with a win. Because the next Friday, at Teco Field, would be one crazy atmosphere & one hell of a football game!

I'm with you on wanting to see a P-burg/SV re-match (especially if the weather isn't nasty like the first game) !! :rockon:

My friend, don't drive yourself nuts worrying about fumbles. They'll either happen, or they won't. When SV's coach put in the Wing-T, fumbles became an unwanted companion. But...it's a very good offense for maximizing attack options with the run game. Bad with the good. What makes it so tough on fans of teams who run ball-control sets (like the T) is its tendency to make many lost games seem to be due to ill-timed turnovers - it FEELS like it's bad luck - when, in reality, it's an unavoidable aspect of the offense.

:popcorn:
Shelby Valley prefer not to have :ref2: for this game. Confusednicker:
I guess LCA shouldn't show up. I hope LCA can keep it from being a running clock until the fourth quarter. They really have no chance
64SUR Wrote:Shelby Valley prefer not to have :ref2: for this game. Confusednicker:

Hey 64, shouldn't you be starting a "Leslie 2015" thread right about now? Confusednicker:
RTL Wrote:I guess LCA shouldn't show up. I hope LCA can keep it from being a running clock until the fourth quarter. They really have no chance

lol... passive-aggressive much ?? Confusednicker:

I noticed on that -other- website, only Danville is seen as a threat to beat Region 3's champ in next week's Semi. It's amazing how little that bunch knows about football east of I-64 (other than Belfry).

Confusedhh::biggrin:
Shelby valley at home.
28-27 In OT
Gator95 Wrote:Hey 64, shouldn't you be starting a "Leslie 2015" thread right about now? Confusednicker:

I go by the :rules: good luck against LCA Gator95 :worthy:
oneijoe Wrote:I'm with you on wanting to see a P-burg/SV re-match (especially if the weather isn't nasty like the first game) !! :rockon:

My friend, don't drive yourself nuts worrying about fumbles. They'll either happen, or they won't. When SV's coach put in the Wing-T, fumbles became an unwanted companion. But...it's a very good offense for maximizing attack options with the run game. Bad with the good. What makes it so tough on fans of teams who run ball-control sets (like the T) is its tendency to make many lost games seem to be due to ill-timed turnovers - it FEELS like it's bad luck - when, in reality, it's an unavoidable aspect of the offense.

:popcorn:

There have probably been more state titles won with a variation of the Wing-T than any other offensive set. It's great for misdirection, and it can give coaches multiple options to use in regards to making adjustments. It is also a great offense to use when you have more than one running back that can be affective, which has a lot to do with the numbers they've put up. The only downside is how hard it is to have a competent passing game. One thing is also true in that you have to have someone that understands the full concept teaching your lineman. The blocking assignments can get complex depending on what variation of the wing-t you're running. The most succesful Wing-T offenses that it have seen or used have always established a good option package. I think that Shelby Valley and LCA will both get their normal yardage, and it should be a close game. I still think if Whitman is at full health then LCA will have an edge offensively and defensively.
baseball1974 Wrote:There have probably been more state titles won with a variation of the Wing-T than any other offensive set. It's great for misdirection, and it can give coaches multiple options to use in regards to making adjustments. It is also a great offense to use when you have more than one running back that can be affective, which has a lot to do with the numbers they've put up. The only downside is how hard it is to have a competent passing game. One thing is also true in that you have to have someone that understands the full concept teaching your lineman. The blocking assignments can get complex depending on what variation of the wing-t you're running. The most succesful Wing-T offenses that it have seen or used have always established a good option package. I think that Shelby Valley and LCA will both get their normal yardage, and it should be a close game. I still think if Whitman is at full health then LCA will have an edge offensively and defensively.

Agree with everything you wrote... If it's run exactly as it's drawn up, it's next to impossible to stop without a defense completely selling out (and sometimes not then). But the complexity with blocking schemes, back footwork, and ball transfers is where errors happen. It is HARD to master at full speed !!

Coach McGlone's teams at Russell years ago came about as close as I've seen anyone run the T effectively on a consistent basis until this Wildcat team. But even those Russell teams had a tendency to occasionally cough up the football in the backfield.

:Thumbs:
No just reading the thread ...about all the blow out predictions
RTL Wrote:No just reading the thread ...about all the blow out predictions

I'd like to see these blowout predictions from someone who knows what they are actually talking about. Show me 3 people that have said valley will blow out LCA. Out of 70 posts, show me 3 of "all these blowout predictions". We know your an Lca fan. That's fine. But me and other knowledgable football fans after that this will be a close game. Other than some moronic poster that said LCA will beat valley by 5 touchdowns.
I have not seen a post on here except one that mentioned either team blowing out the other . I don't care how you slice it this is going to be a good game . This game is going to come down to who can hang on to the football and who has the better night on the defensive . side of the ball . They'll be no blowouts in this game !!!!!!!!!!!!
Gator95 Wrote:Hey 64, shouldn't you be starting a "Leslie 2015" thread right about now? Confusednicker:

:hilarious::biglmao:Confusedinglepar:lmao:Confusederved:Confusedmoke:
Gentlemen, if any offense is run the way its drawn up, its impossible to stop! LOL With that being said, I'll give my 2 cents worth on tomorrow night's game. LCA has a great back, possibly the best in class 2A. LCA also has a nice OL/DL, possibly the best Valley has faced this year. Valley has 2 very nice backs that run hard and both have good speed and they have an excellent OL/DL. I give the edge in the passing game to Valley, they have a very good T.E. and a good S.E. I realize they don't throw it very much, but they do and can if need be. I also give the edge in depth to Valley. I also give the edge in defense to Valley, especially against the run. If I had to say Valley had a soft spot on defense it would be in the short and mid-range passing game. You have to be very disciplined and precise to consistently move the ball down the field doing that. I also expect it to be the coldest night of the season. I'm going to give the edge to Valley, I think they are a little tougher and a little more physical than LCA, factor in the weather, I like that kind of team just a little more.

Valley-20
LCA-12
Gator95 Wrote:I'd like to see these blowout predictions from someone who knows what they are actually talking about. Show me 3 people that have said valley will blow out LCA. Out of 70 posts, show me 3 of "all these blowout predictions". We know your an Lca fan. That's fine. But me and other knowledgable football fans after that this will be a close game. Other than some moronic poster that said LCA will beat valley by 5 touchdowns.

Yes you sound very knowledgable, I will agree
I just think the hurry up offense of LCA will be the factor of this game....I think i know it hurt leslie county...just sayin....I think the kicker for LCA also is a factor...not kidding he is a endzone kicker...I know. Anyway good luck to both teams :Cheerlead
School Admin. Wrote:Gentlemen, if any offense is run the way its drawn up, its impossible to stop! LOL With that being said, I'll give my 2 cents worth on tomorrow night's game. LCA has a great back, possibly the best in class 2A. LCA also has a nice OL/DL, possibly the best Valley has faced this year. Valley has 2 very nice backs that run hard and both have good speed and they have an excellent OL/DL. I give the edge in the passing game to Valley, they have a very good T.E. and a good S.E. I realize they don't throw it very much, but they do and can if need be. I also give the edge in depth to Valley. I also give the edge in defense to Valley, especially against the run. If I had to say Valley had a soft spot on defense it would be in the short and mid-range passing game. You have to be very disciplined and precise to consistently move the ball down the field doing that. I also expect it to be the coldest night of the season. I'm going to give the edge to Valley, I think they are a little tougher and a little more physical than LCA, factor in the weather, I like that kind of team just a little more.

Valley-20
LCA-12

In theory that would make sense in regards to running an offense. However, the added variable you seem to forget is the personnel. Certain offensive schemes highlight strengths better than others and visa versa. So just making a blanket statement that no matter the offense it'll be successful if ran correctly, regardless of the team is just not the case. I understand what you're saying, because anything in theory should work if everyone does what their suppose to, but I've seen several teams over the years run offenses very well but the personnel wasn't being used correctly.
baseball1974 Wrote:In theory that would make sense in regards to running an offense. However, the added variable you seem to forget is the personnel. Certain offensive schemes highlight strengths better than others and visa versa. So just making a blanket statement that no matter the offense it'll be successful if ran correctly, regardless of the team is just not the case. I understand what you're saying, because anything in theory should work if everyone does what their suppose to, but I've seen several teams over the years run offenses very well but the personnel wasn't being used correctly.

Discussions about offensive/defensive styles and how they work with groups of personnel would make a dandy thread.

In your opinion, is it better to man team positions to fit a team's style of play -or- is it better to have a flexible style of play so as to better suit personnel ability ??
I ask my son last night, who has played against BOTH teams, who will win this game? He says LCA. I say Shelby Valley. We're going to find out shortly who's right! Good luck to both teams and stay injury free.
oneijoe Wrote:Discussions about offensive/defensive styles and how they work with groups of personnel would make a dandy thread.

In your opinion, is it better to man team positions to fit a team's style of play -or- is it better to have a flexible style of play so as to better suit personnel ability ??

I think it depends on what level you are on. When I was at the college level I could run any offense or defense I wanted and then recruit players to fit into that system. However, in high school you don't have that luxury. You are basically having to adapt every year to a different group and style of athletes. It's important to have basic things that will not change year to year in order to build a consistent program, but you have to adapt to your players at the high school level not the other way around. Not all high school coaches feel tha way. Many will do the same things offensively that they've always done and they can be succesful at it, but not consistently. Historically, those coaches success is spread out and will usually only peak when they have players that that fit that style of play. Any coach that doesn't learn something new every year and get better from it is doing a disservice to their players as well as themselves.
baseball1974 Wrote:In theory that would make sense in regards to running an offense. However, the added variable you seem to forget is the personnel. Certain offensive schemes highlight strengths better than others and visa versa. So just making a blanket statement that no matter the offense it'll be successful if ran correctly, regardless of the team is just not the case. I understand what you're saying, because anything in theory should work if everyone does what their suppose to, but I've seen several teams over the years run offenses very well but the personnel wasn't being used correctly.

No, I haven't forgotten it, that was the point I was trying to make when I said in theory. People in all walks of life, on the field and off, dictate how successful something, regardless if you are talking about football or whatever. It's ALL about personnel, X's and O's are just conversation. Yes, I also know that certain schemes enhance different types of personnel. Thought I would throw that in there before you say anything.