Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Lexington Christian @ Shelby Valley (11/14)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
This should be an excellent matchup in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

These two teams do have some common opponents:

- SV beat Leslie by 3 on the road, LCA beat them by 18 at home.

- SV beat Somerset by 10 at home, LCA beat them by 1 on the road.

- Both teams lost at Paintsville, SV by 10 and LCA by 12.

Going by common games, the teams appear to be pretty even. SV will look to their ground attack to control the clock and keep LCA's talented RB off the field. If LCA goes up big early, Valley may have trouble trying to play catch-up.

Thoughts?
Valley's defense will make the difference in this one . valley 35 LCA 21
Incidentally, this will be the first time Shelby Valley has ever hosted a 2nd round playoff game.

Expecting a big crowd next week.
LCA's Whitman had 176 yards on 19 carries against Leslie County before going out for the rest of the game with a ankle injury late in the 2nd quarter. If he returns, he will be hard to stop.
The problem Shelby Valley will have is if they somehow get down by a score or so. Whitman can eat up all kinds of clock and he makes it hard on teams to come back once they get up. Hopefully his ankle injury is just precautionary and minor. Should be a great game.
What!!! You mean the boys from Hyden aren't playing? Oh well, I will go with Valley in a close one. They can eat a lot of clock with the ball.
Should be great game, Whitman should be good to go Friday.
Congrats valley on the 1st round win. Keep it up. I'll go with SV by a couple TDs.
This should be a great game . Valley will have to continue being physical on the defensive side of the ball and limit the turnovers on offense . If Valley can contain LCA qb. We should be ok . That seems like that's been a little easier said then done . Valley has had there problems with mobile quarterbacks this year so they are going to have to keep the pressure on him . But if they can limit him they will get the win . I'll take My wildcats at home in this one . 48 - 36
LCA 42
Shelby Valley 35

Had to look on the other thread for my score didn't want to get burn.. :devilflam
With the way both these teams run the ball, I don't think they'll be time for as many points most are predicting...

I'm thinking:

Valley 28
LCA 20
I think this will be a dandy of a game. 22-21 LCA.
Is Whitman playing?
Two doggone fine high school running backs in this one. Has the makings for an exciting ground battle. Best wishes to both teams.
Home field advantage is the difference. SV by 1.
whitman is playing
Then ill take LCA in this one. Shelby valley hasn't played a team with as many athletes. Whitman will run over around and through Shelby valley. Also since Shelby valley is a run team LCA will shut that down and will beat them by 4 touchdowns. LCA is just better at every position and wins 35-17.
Shelby Valley keeps proving people wrong and I think they I'll do it again. If LCA stops SV's run game they will be the first to do it. Both backs went for 100+ against Somerset once again.
cctiger Wrote:Then ill take LCA in this one. Shelby valley hasn't played a team with as many athletes. Whitman will run over around and through Shelby valley. Also since Shelby valley is a run team LCA will shut that down and will beat them by 4 touchdowns. LCA is just better at every position and wins 35-17.

lol... I say you couldn't be more wrong. Most truly GOOD defenses can't be beaten by an offense featuring ONE outstanding player (and Whitman is definitely that). The Wildcat's team speed will come as a shock if you think LCA will run "over, around, and through" them. Whitman will no doubt get a lot of yards, BUT it'll take a lot of carries to do so. Neither will Valley be rattled by LCA's "number of athletes". Prestonsburg has as many and barely got out of there with a win.

Don't make the mistake of judging district 8 by what you saw from Leslie Co. They're not nearly as good on defense as district 8's #1 and #2 teams.

:popcorn:
I don't think district 8 is bad. Just think LCA is a superior team and Whitman runs all over them.
Just curious, have you watched SV?
cctiger Wrote:I don't think district 8 is bad. Just think LCA is a superior team and Whitman runs all over them.

LCA's bigger worry is on defense, imo. The Eagles will have precious few possessions if they can't figure a way to slow SV's wing-t. The only opponent of Valley's all season to hold them under 300 yds rushing is Prestonsburg (and P-burg gave up almost that many at 281).

I'm picking the Wildcats! :Cheerlead If they can put the pressure on the QB they will win this one.
oneijoe Wrote:LCA's bigger worry is on defense, imo. The Eagles will have precious few possessions if they can't figure a way to slow SV's wing-t. The only opponent of Valley's all season to hold them under 300 yds rushing is Prestonsburg (and P-burg gave up almost that many at 281).

I think the way they slow them down is by keeping them off the field. They can ride Whitman all the way down the field and take their time doing it. Not sure Shelby valley has an answer for him. He's the best player in the class. Shelby Valley has seen a couple good backs this year and they've allowed a lot of yards rushing in those games. Now their facing the best back in 2a, and I can't see it being any different. If it ends up being a shoot out then Shelby Valley will probably win this one, but if LCA can control the clock then I think they'll run away with it.
I look for Shelby Valley to come out fired up and ready to take this one. Valley's defense can and WILL get a few stops. They have to every team they've played this year. The key will be to capitalize off of those stops. If Valley does this I see them winning 28-21
Valley just fumbles too much for me to have faith they can take advantage of each and every possession they have, which will be at a premium against another team who runs as much as they do. 21-16 LCA
If LCA'S Whitman is healthy it will be a close ! If he is not healthy I think LCA goes down.

SV -28
LCA -14
oneijoe Wrote:lol... I say you couldn't be more wrong. Most truly GOOD defenses can't be beaten by an offense featuring ONE outstanding player (and Whitman is definitely that). The Wildcat's team speed will come as a shock if you think LCA will run "over, around, and through" them. Whitman will no doubt get a lot of yards, BUT it'll take a lot of carries to do so. Neither will Valley be rattled by LCA's "number of athletes". Prestonsburg has as many and barely got out of there with a win.

Don't make the mistake of judging district 8 by what you saw from Leslie Co. They're not nearly as good on defense as district 8's #1 and #2 teams.

So how many points did P-Burg and Shelby Valley give up to Leslie Co. again?? Big league defense's right?? I promise Shelby Valley will not run that up the middle stuff. Clay Ach #52 for LCA is as good a middle linebacker as there is. We seen that Friday.
I Rule The World Wrote:So how many points did P-Burg and Shelby Valley give up to Leslie Co. again?? Big league defense's right?? I promise Shelby Valley will not run that up the middle stuff. Clay Ach #52 for LCA is as good a middle linebacker as there is. We seen that Friday.

Everyone knows the stories and deal about Leslie County. It's over with now, let's just forget that game as it happened to both teams. You know, usually teams try to run in the opposite directions of the opposing teams best players and hit their weak spots. So I would say your right. If he's that good. Shelby Valley probably won't run it up the middle because they won't attempt to. But there is no denying this, Valley WILL get their rushing yards. Leslie didn't have a very good rising game I didn't think. So it's a different animal playing defense against valley.
I Rule The World Wrote:So how many points did P-Burg and Shelby Valley give up to Leslie Co. again?? Big league defense's right?? I promise Shelby Valley will not run that up the middle stuff. Clay Ach #52 for LCA is as good a middle linebacker as there is. We seen that Friday.

Please don't take it personally.

I'd give Leslie Co.'s defense more credence if they had shown a good performance against a good opponent away from Hyden. Other than LCA, the best team LC played away from home was Betsy Layne (who scored 30).

Leslie Co.'s schedule is what it was, but other than giving no chance to win a district tiebreaker, it put the team at a distinct disadvantage in playing LCA. For all anyone knows, the Eagle defense could have ended up being a good one if they'd had some quality out-of-district opponents this season against which they could improve.

LCA was 5-5 in the regular season. While the record isn't impressive, their schedule was far superior to Leslie's. It served them well Friday night. Shelby Valley's schedule, otoh, was good enough to get them ready for the playoffs.

Pages: 1 2 3 4