Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neal Brown has to go!
Ky running the ball for 4 or 5 yds on 1st down or any down this year has been a rare occasion, but like I said in an earlier post one week the defense is horrendous and the next week the offense is pathetic! Some weeks they are both really bad. This team clearly has a little boy running game in a big boy league and that is just one of many deficiencies. Our defense is prob the worst in the league and our offense is not the worst but brutally inconsistent. Our special teams are clearly the worst in the SEC, as for Neal Browm, if he had better talent to work with his game plan would be more effective. Patrick Towles IMO is very shaky with his accuracy and does not have good instincts as a QB. As Griese pointed out on multiple occasions, he doesn't read what is available, he is IMO mentally weak as a QB.
Brooks4Prez Wrote:Are you serious? Kentucky gives up 63 points, allows Georgia to go 7 for 7 on third downs and never punt, scores 24 in a quarter and 31 in a game and you complain about play calling?????? You sound like the less than intelligent people at the stadium yesterday complaining about UK running the football for 4 and 5 yards at a time on 1st down.

Im sorry but I cant take you seriously when you username and idol is a guy who thrived off of .500 seasons.

Anybody that is satisfied with Music City bowls and vandy wins need to route for Western.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Im sorry but I cant take you seriously when you username and idol is a guy who thrived off of .500 seasons.

Anybody that is satisfied with Music City bowls and vandy wins need to route for Western.

Gut Brooks couldn't recruit Stoops has more 4star guys on his team right now than Brooks ever signed his whole Kentucky coaching career. Brooks beat everybody in the SEC West but Bama. Go look on Rivals at some of Brook's recruiting classes in 2002 he had one 3 star and one 4 star recruit the 4 star never made it too UK. Brooks could do something that Stoops have yet to learn. Brooks knew how to "Point" a team. Point means to condition his team to be Sharpe and ready on game day.
Brooks4Prez Wrote:Are you serious? Kentucky gives up 63 points, allows Georgia to go 7 for 7 on third downs and never punt, scores 24 in a quarter and 31 in a game and you complain about play calling?????? You sound like the less than intelligent people at the stadium yesterday complaining about UK running the football for 4 and 5 yards at a time on 1st down.

That 3rd and 2 play was a key point in the game!! To run the ball in that spot and get stopped pretty much breaks the WILL of the whole Kentucky team! Think about it, Georgia scores on the opening kickoff then scores easy again. When Kentucky can't get 2 yards on a 3rd down run play in that spot it's time to PEE on the Fire and call in the dogs! A smart coach sees this and calls a pass play to protect his team. Not only does a pass probably have a better chance of working it protects Kentucky mentally! If Kentucky drops the pass that's there own fault, totally different than a Georgia defender stepping up and knocking the crap out of the UK ball carrier and saying not today Kentucky boys! Joker Phillips called games like he was the OC of the 49ers when they had Montana and Rice, Neal Brown calls games like he has Steve Young and Jerry Rice! The point is both call the games like they have veteran teams loaded with talent! Brown must stop wasting downs trying set up the Read Option crap! In the SEC each down is a valuable thing and no team can afford to waste them! IMO Brown's whole system needs reworked to suit playing the SEC!
I am really speechless. UK has been a great disappointment of late. The Georgia game was an exhibition in ineptitude. Getting beat by Georgia is no surprise but we just got b--ch slapped and this week, it wasnt just the offense that was terrible. I mean, I know that our run defense isnt all that great, but Ky was completely dominated. I was greatly looking forward to the Louisville game this year, but now, Im dreading it. We stunk it up in all 3 phases.....I just dont know if the punt return was terrible also because Ga never punted, LOL!! Stoops has really got to get his house in order before next year. He has plenty of time to find a top notch OC and preferrably not one from the Big 12 where they cant spell defense.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Im sorry but I cant take you seriously when you username and idol is a guy who thrived off of .500 seasons.

I never understood why Brooks was hired to begin with other than his friendship with the AD. Its not that Brooks wasnt more than qualified to lead any college FB program....I just couldnt understand why u start trying to build your program with a guy in his 60's. I mean, if they were looking for stability with a long tenured coach, it was obvious that Brooks was not the man. I do think, with the level that they were recruiting, Brooks did a more than credible job but was it good enough to have a top asst named "coach in waiting?" Those type situations are for long time assistants to the very top coaches, if they are ever done, which I am against anyway. Ky was enjoying VERY moderate success at the time and they could possibly have landed a top coach then. Nothing against Joker....I have met and talked to him several times and he seems to be a very fine man, but was his creditials good enough for a "coach in waiting" type deal? I didnt see anyone beating his door down to take over their program. The "coach in waiting", to me, is so you wont lose a great coach but, as like Muschamp at Texas, that doesnt have to work. And I agree with Gut.....I never understood why some people revered him like a 2cd Bear Bryant. My 30 year old son loves him to this day and, like Joker, Im sure he is a fine man but 6, 7, or 8 win seasons are not going to get us where we want to be. I want it understood that I completely support Stoops but something has to be done about some of the staff. And we all know that the first "grass greener" deal that comes along, he is gone. But dont worry. Im sure that Brown could be persuaded to take over, LOL!!
Anybody that can't see that Rich Brooks did some great things here just isn't opening their eyes. He took a team that was on probation and that hadn't been to a bowl game since 1999 to 4 consecutive bowl games, winning 3 of them. He defeated the #1 team in the country who later won the National Title, defeated a hell of a Georgia team, and left the program in good shape. I don't like the coach in waiting stuff either however and believe another coach with a name should have been hired after Brooks.

Neal Brown's play calling has been questionable at times this season, but he still needs time to get more play makers to run his offense. Not excusing some of the things he has done by any means but I don't think firing him right now is the answer. The special teams coach however may need to hit the road.

By the way, if you think Neal Brown is the only problem with this young team you haven't been watching. It will take time to get where we need to be.
alfus21 Wrote:Anybody that can't see that Rich Brooks did some great things here just isn't opening their eyes. He took a team that was on probation and that hadn't been to a bowl game since 1999 to 4 consecutive bowl games, winning 3 of them. He defeated the #1 team in the country who later won the National Title, defeated a hell of a Georgia team, and left the program in good shape. I don't like the coach in waiting stuff either however and believe another coach with a name should have been hired after Brooks.

Neal Brown's play calling has been questionable at times this season, but he still needs time to get more play makers to run his offense. Not excusing some of the things he has done by any means but I don't think firing him right now is the answer. The special teams coach however may need to hit the road.

By the way, if you think Neal Brown is the only problem with this young team you haven't been watching. It will take time to get where we need to be.

Yes, I agree Brooks did some good things and yes, he went to 4 bowls, etc, etc! How many major bowls? How many SEC Championship games? How many top 10 rankings? Look, I liked Brooks but we have to be realistic. If UK is truly serious about getting the program to be a top flight program, our expectations have to be higher than the Music City Bowl and just being competetive until BB season starts. I understand what u are saying but I have had 50 years of this stuff and I would like to see ONE really good team before I cash in!! I have heard "its gonna take time" since Fran Curci was the coach and LBJ was president. How much time is enough??
Quickkickonthird Wrote:Yes, I agree Brooks did some good things and yes, he went to 4 bowls, etc, etc! How many major bowls? How many SEC Championship games? How many top 10 rankings? Look, I liked Brooks but we have to be realistic. If UK is truly serious about getting the program to be a top flight program, our expectations have to be higher than the Music City Bowl and just being competetive until BB season starts. I understand what u are saying but I have had 50 years of this stuff and I would like to see ONE really good team before I cash in!! I have heard "its gonna take time" since Fran Curci was the coach and LBJ was president. How much time is enough??

I understand where you're coming from, but since you've been a fan 50 years how many top 10 rankings, SEC Championships, and major bowls have you seen? Especially coming off of probation. I think his job was to guide UK in the right direction. I agree the expectations need to be higher, but it does take time and he was on the right track before Joker sent it off course. With the upgrades in recruiting and Commonwealth Stadium I think we're on the right track to get there. But keep in mind how difficult our conference really is, and how hard it is to be a top 10 team in the SEC on a consistent basis.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I think that part of the problem is that KY has so many young players playing at the same time that they have to learn how to play a full season in the SEC. Many teams have young players playing, but they have more experienced players stabilizing the youngsters. Also most teams have subs that can spell the starters periodically. Ky still has a way to go, but they are getting there. Did anyone really believe the KY would win as many games as it has or with a few exceptions, play some of the "BIG BOYS" like they have. Peoples, peoples, peoples...... PATIENCE
alfus21 Wrote:I understand where you're coming from, but since you've been a fan 50 years how many top 10 rankings, SEC Championships, and major bowls have you seen? Especially coming off of probation. I think his job was to guide UK in the right direction. I agree the expectations need to be higher, but it does take time and he was on the right track before Joker sent it off course. With the upgrades in recruiting and Commonwealth Stadium I think we're on the right track to get there. But keep in mind how difficult our conference really is, and how hard it is to be a top 10 team in the SEC on a consistent basis.

I believe they were ranked as high as #6 in the AP during the Curci era (and ended up on probation because of it, LOL)! I think u misunderstood my point which was that there have been none of the above. I think they went to one Sugar Bowl. I dont remember the exact year but it was late 70's. I wasnt trying to say that Brooks was any worse than UK had in the past but the moderate success that he had shouldnt be settled for. Yes, I agree that they are on a good track butyou have to understand that I have heard that same old song for years and years. And u are correct about the difficulty of the SEC but you also have to look at the huge amounts of money that programs receive for being a member of this conference. There are other reasons that the university will list as their official stand for being an SEC member but UK benefits tremendously financially for being in this conference.

Im not sure if u were asking about how many major bowls, SEC championships that I have seen in general or just the ones involving UK because listing the ones involving Ky will be a short list, LOL! UK has never been in the SEC Championship since they re-started it again in the late 80's (I think...the years run together after a while, haha)! And as far as major bowls go, Ky was in the Sugar Bowl, in the mid 70's(Im not exactly sure), back when the conference champ was contracted to play in it, but, other than that, they have never been in a major bowl during my time being a fan which started, I guess around 1970 (Im 51 now). So I guess Im not sure what your point was unless you just wanted to know a little UK football history. Look, I guarantee that nobody wants to see a successful football program in Lexington more than me. I guess that some people have a different definition of success but I'll still be rooting them on regardless!!
Most of our key players on offense are true or redshirt freshman and sophomores. Not exactly happy with the direction that the offense takes sometimes but may not be all Browns fault. He can't throw catch or hit the holes. He doesn't coach the D and or special teams and that coach(SP) probably needs fired. I have never even when Kentucky sucks seen such poor special teams play. Kentucky should be much improved next year on Offense. The Defense on the other hand losing its 2 best players off of a BAD D will need ALOT of help.
As my old ball coach told us back in grade school and this quote has stuck with me my whole life. I passed it down to my son and his friends and my daughter and hers. DEFENSE WINS GAMES, OFFENSE SELLS TICKETS.
This is exactly why we needed to hire a proven winner instead of a family name. After next year they will be calling for Stoops head . He will fire a couple assistant and save his job for maybe one more year.
Rich Brooks....the king of average.