Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Neal Brown has to go!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
IMO if Mark Stoops is going to build Kentucky into a true contender in the SEC he needs to remove Neal Brown from his coaching staff! I have grown sick of Neal Brown's game plans and play calling. Any Kentucky fan that watched the game today has to be sick of Neal Brown! Brown doesn't understand what it take to win in the SEC! #1 JUNK the Read Option! #2 THROW the ball down the MIDDLE of the field! #3 Run the football with the running backs and throw the football with the QBs. Towles has decent feet but he is not Cam Newton! IMO if Stoops was smart he would fire Neal Brown at the end of the season and hire a OC that doesn't use trickery to run the football a OC that knows the power running game and its blocking system a OC that understands the play action and MAX protection passing game! Neal Brown Sucks!
Honestjchsfan is on fire !
honestjchsfan, you did EXACTLY what I was going to do.
Time and time again, ive watched Neil Brown screw us this year.

He has to go. No joking. The guy is like having Joker Phillips on the sideline. Im fine with every other single coach, but Stoops has to go find a better O Coordinator.

Get Neil Brown out of there. Even a casual fan would ask what in the hell he was thinking on several occasions today.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:honestjchsfan, you did EXACTLY what I was going to do.
Time and time again, ive watched Neil Brown screw us this year.

He has to go. No joking. The guy is like having Joker Phillips on the sideline. Im fine with every other single coach, but Stoops has to go find a better O Coordinator.

Get Neil Brown out of there. Even a casual fan would ask what in the hell he was thinking on several occasions today.

Brown doesn't have a great feel for the game. He is also a very slow starter with his play calling. The Wildcat and Read Option stuff have shot there wade already. Last season Brown used the QB's as a excuse but after watching todays game I know that was clearly a excuse! The mistakes Brown has made are clear, #1 Kemp and Timmons have been pushed aside both should be stat leaders on this team! #2 Brown fails to design plays that offer Max protection for the QB. #3 a OC needs to have a feel for when it's time to run the ball and when it's time to Pass the ball Brown has NO FEEL! I honestly think that if Brown stays at UK all the good recruiting is for nothing because Brown's system is not suited for SEC football. The backbone of his system is lateral passes that need the WR to make the defender miss! In the SEC the defenders make way fewer mistakes and Brown was not prepared for this factor! In other words all Browns little screens and hitches and dinks and ducks are not working and he has no clue what to do.
IMO Brown is terrible and Towles is way below average. I am starting to believe that the main reason Brown's play calling is so chicken shit is because he doesn't have faith in Towles throwing accuracy...... To watch this team play on the road is simply embarrssing!!!
^
I think Towles is fine. With the right play calling he would have a lot more yardage. Its the idiot with the headset on.
You guys are saying what I have for almost two years. I didn't want him hired in the first place. He is in way over his head. Stoops has reservations about him, I do know that. Maybe he will hire a true OC after the season. What does it tell you as a QB Coach that Towles and his family have to make the decision to go to two private coaches to get Patrick better, because Brown isn't capable of correcting these flaws?
Axel Foley Wrote:You guys are saying what I have for almost two years. I didn't want him hired in the first place. He is in way over his head. Stoops has reservations about him, I do know that. Maybe he will hire a true OC after the season. What does it tell you as a QB Coach that Towles and his family have to make the decision to go to two private coaches to get Patrick better, because Brown isn't capable of correcting these flaws?

Exactly
With Neal Brown at the helm, we will never takes any chances that can put us over the top in a tough game. The man is way too conservative.
Towels is fine, imo. He has made some fantastic throws this season...placing balls like a pro. The receivers have dropped a lot of passes though and that will get better with time. But for weeks, I have been scratching my head over the lack of a running game. We have four quality backs and the only person Brown wants to run the ball is Towels.

I don't get it.
DaveB Wrote:Towels is fine, imo. He has made some fantastic throws this season...placing balls like a pro. The receivers have dropped a lot of passes though and that will get better with time. But for weeks, I have been scratching my head over the lack of a running game. We have four quality backs and the only person Brown wants to run the ball is Towels.

I don't get it.

Dave,

Don't worry. Brown doesn't get it either.
I had not heard a lot of grips about Brown this year... until Saturday, I'm not going to give an opinion either way, just stating that I have heard a lot of dissatisfaction in his play calling since Saturday.
TheIntimidator Wrote:I had not heard a lot of grips about Brown this year... until Saturday, I'm not going to give an opinion either way, just stating that I have heard a lot of dissatisfaction in his play calling since Saturday.

I started disliking Brown in the Ohio game.
Didn't want him hired in the first place. Knew too much about him. He is in way over his head.
Agree, he must go. Plain and Simple!
Offense is very young. Sophomore quarterback and majority of skill people are sophomores and freshmen.
DaveB Wrote:Towels is fine, imo. He has made some fantastic throws this season...placing balls like a pro. The receivers have dropped a lot of passes though and that will get better with time. But for weeks, I have been scratching my head over the lack of a running game. We have four quality backs and the only person Brown wants to run the ball is Towels.

I don't get it.
4 good backs I don't see! I see several backs that don't want to run North and South and get tough yards, something Stoops eluded to in his interview yesterday when he commented that backs need to go where they are supposed to go! These guys are young, maybe they will all grow a pair between now and next fall?
E's Army Wrote:Offense is very young. Sophomore quarterback and majority of skill people are sophomores and freshmen.
Towles is a 3rd year sophomore, his throwing accuracy is inconsistent to put it mildly, but he is the best we have so we have to hope he will mature and get better.......
And what about the 500 plus offensive yard game previously....

Jesus H folks....slow your roll!

None of you jumped like this during the Joker saga. And now it's me now, quicker....

Be patient, you all want bowl eligible so badly your missing the chemistry that enabled 5 wins in the 1st place. Browns "potential departure" should be addressed after the season.

Do you all hold your spouses to the same standards?

Thought so? :hilarious:
Spirit100 Wrote:And what about the 500 plus offensive yard game previously....

None of you jumped like this during the Joker saga. And now it's me now, quicker....

Be patient, you all want bowl eligible so badly your missing the chemistry that enabled 5 wins in the 1st place. Browns "potential departure" should be addressed after the season.

That's why we are so confused and dumbfounded. We absolutely went off on the #1 team in the country running various plays that kept the defense confused. Why did we not do this in this past game? We were so predictable and playing small ball that it wasn't even funny.
Please tell us who those 500 yard games came against WHERE WE WON.

You can put up a 1000, if you lose, you lose.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Please tell us who those 500 yard games came against WHERE WE WON.

You can put up a 1000, if you lose, you lose.

And Brown oversees the defense as well?

:dudecomeon:
This offense is, still, light years ahead of where it was last year and two years ago. Neil Brown is a very good offensive mind who will continue to grow this offense. To be honest thinking that he should be fired for helping lead Kentucky to a 5-4 record at this point in the year is just dumb. Pretty fair weather of everyone to be down on this offense considering that two weeks ago they threw for 400 yards and scored more than enough points to win against the #1 team in the nation. Three games left, they will continue to improve and as more of our bigger bodied receivers mature and improve the offense will get better.
Spud6 Wrote:That's why we are so confused and dumbfounded. We absolutely went off on the #1 team in the country running various plays that kept the defense confused. Why did we not do this in this past game? We were so predictable and playing small ball that it wasn't even funny.

Countless drops of intermediate routes (8-12 yards) doesn't help your offensive rythm. Neither does only running a little more than 20 plays in a half. Also, perimeter blocking is what makes this offensive style go and we saw none on Saturday.
Spirit100 Wrote:And what about the 500 plus offensive yard game previously....

I understand what u are saying and I agree that we shouldnt ever be really quick to crucify a coach. However, I think that Brown, the offensive staff, Stoops, or someone has had some bad games this season in the area of play selection. UK is in a tough spot offensively with the offensive line in the shape that it is and I know that it is very easy to sit back and snipe at a coach after the game is over. An example of this is the way Ky started with the opening kickoff against LSU (I think)! It resulted in terrible starting field position but, had it worked out, we would have been talking about what a brilliant move that it was. UK has had several instances like this since Stoops has been there with successful fake punts, the fake field goal last year that worked so well, etc. We dont put in the time in the film room that the coaches do so, I try to never be to quick to criticize. But, in the case of Brown, I think that there have been several cases of not adjusting offensively to what the defense is doing and that may or may not be Brown's fault totally. The wildcat set that they had success with early in the season has been ineffective in the last several games due to the fact, I think, that they dont do enough other things off of this set. That is just one example of the offense's ineffectiveness when it probably didnt have to be. Now, with all that being said, I think that Brown can adjust but he hasnt shown signs of it yet. You are corect that offensive success early in the year could have been due to the level of competition but they have shown signs of being able to have success against good, SEC type defenses like Florida who I think everyone will agree is very tough defensively, especially at the Swamp which is undoubtably one of the toughest places in the country to play. To try and sum up my point is that the offense has been inept offensively in the last few games and they simply do not adjust to what the defense is giving them, regardless of whose fault it is. I am not saying to necessarily get rid of Brown but something has to be done. I think that Ky will show some different things offensively this sat against Georgia. They really need this one if they want to get bowl eligible. I thought all year that they could get Lville this year (and I still do), but UL is tougher than I thought defensively, especially at home. I picked UK 7-5 before the season so I'll stick with it but it is looking harder and harder. I was giving them Miss St at Commonwealth which wasnt a bad pick before the season started. They also have a shot at Tenn. I just wish that it wasnt in Knoxville. Lets give Brown the benefit of the doubt. What choice do we have because he isnt going anywhere this season. And, as far as Joker, I thought that "coach in waiting deal" was crazy. I wasnt for hiring Joker in the first place, but, after they did, I supported him totally. Like many of u, I am a life long UK football fan and I have seen this kind of stuff many times through my 50+ years. I would sure like to see them get the program to a high level for a while before they put me in the ground.
Spirit100 Wrote:And Brown oversees the defense as well?

:dudecomeon:

It does when you start at the 20, get Towles to bail you out by throwing a big pass, only to see you run the same run plays 3 times in a row and not score any points is the EXACT reason for that.

Neal Brown is a joke just like Joker was a joke.
Until hes gone, this offense will not succeed. It wont be an better 10 years from now, just like I said with Joker and had people jump all over me on this site. We can have the number one recruiting class and he wouldn't win ball games with his philosophy. Its over and its done. It doesn't take years to see if a coach can coach. It only takes a few games, and if UK ever wants to be a title contender in the SEC, its not going to happen with Brown calling the plays.

DJ Elliot is fine. Hes calling the right plays, but he doesn't have the speed he needs or the fundamentally sound tacklers.
Stoops is okay. Hes on the path to getting kids to commit that in all honesty, shouldn't come here.
Schlarman is a good O line coach but needs the players. Guys like Miller, West, and Swindle are powder puffs who get man handled regularly in the SEC.
Marrow is one of our best assets. Recruiting and coaching wise. Hes not going anywhere.
Brumbaugh is an intense guy who likes to get right up in there grill. Im fine with him on the D line. He MADE those guys this year, because as weve seen Zadarius is overrated, so I can only imagine how bad he was before coming to UK.
Naviar has had some bad luck. I aint calling for his head yet like some, but hes cutting it thin with this bad special teams play.

So in other words, I don't have a problem with anybody but Brown. Hes a joke. Simple as that. Always will be. Stoops needs to find somebody else.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:It does when you start at the 20, get Towles to bail you out by throwing a big pass, only to see you run the same run plays 3 times in a row and not score any points is the EXACT reason for that.

Neal Brown is a joke just like Joker was a joke.
Until hes gone, this offense will not succeed. It wont be an better 10 years from now, just like I said with Joker and had people jump all over me on this site. We can have the number one recruiting class and he wouldn't win ball games with his philosophy. Its over and its done. It doesn't take years to see if a coach can coach. It only takes a few games, and if UK ever wants to be a title contender in the SEC, its not going to happen with Brown calling the plays.

DJ Elliot is fine. Hes calling the right plays, but he doesn't have the speed he needs or the fundamentally sound tacklers.
Stoops is okay. Hes on the path to getting kids to commit that in all honesty, shouldn't come here.
Schlarman is a good O line coach but needs the players. Guys like Miller, West, and Swindle are powder puffs who get man handled regularly in the SEC.
Marrow is one of our best assets. Recruiting and coaching wise. Hes not going anywhere.
Brumbaugh is an intense guy who likes to get right up in there grill. Im fine with him on the D line. He MADE those guys this year, because as weve seen Zadarius is overrated, so I can only imagine how bad he was before coming to UK.
Naviar has had some bad luck. I aint calling for his head yet like some, but hes cutting it thin with this bad special teams play.

So in other words, I don't have a problem with anybody but Brown. Hes a joke. Simple as that. Always will be. Stoops needs to find somebody else.

I dont think I would say I quite like u (LOL) but I pretty much agree with u if Brown is the problem which, in fairness, we dont no that it it totally his fault. There is a lot of dynamics during a game and even in game preparation. I just wanted to comment on the "Brown being in charge of the defense also" post. The answer is yes, the Off Coord is very much responsible for the success of a defense. They kept the D in bad situations all day but the main thing is that they kept the D on the field WAY to much. The time of possession wasnt even close against Mizzou. U guys that played defense know how demoralizing it is to go out and work for 8 to 12 plays, then get on the sideline and not hardly have time to take your headgear off before its time to go again. The OC should always have the defense in mind and I know that the good ones do. Just picking up a couple of first downs is VERY helpful to a defense! UK did a very poor job in this area, regardless of whose fault it was! Im looking for a better effort tomorrow but for 50 years, they have never failed to disappoint me, LOL!!
Brown's play calling really sucks! Today Kentucky was down 14 to 0 and faced with a 3rd and 2 and Brown calls a "Read Option" run play and UK gets stopped short of the first down. WTF? Brown aren't you running the "Air Raid" offense????? Dude if it close you are not getting the SPOT!!!!!!!! It's the SEC! The Kentucky's and the Vandy's have GOT to WIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!They aren't giving you anything! Think of it like boxing , YOU are not getting the decision YOU got to WIN! Alabama, LSU and Florida's get the decision they get the calls they get the breaks the Kentucky's don't get no calls they don't get anything HANDED to them they GOT TO WIN! To win a SEC game Kentucky has got WIN! Kentucky has got to earn IT! Kentucky can't earn anything if the OC is calling GIVE UP play calls hoping to trick the other team or to get a good SPOT! That crap might work fine at Texas Tech but at Kentucky in the SEC you got a snowballs Chance in HELL! When you are down 14 to 0 in a SEC game you better have a play saved back that will get you 2 Yards on the 3rd and 2 or it's going to be a bad day!
honestjchsfan Wrote:Brown's play calling really sucks! Today Kentucky was down 14 to 0 and faced with a 3rd and 2 and Brown calls a "Read Option" run play and UK gets stopped short of the first down. WTF? Brown aren't you running the "Air Raid" offense????? Dude if it close you are not getting the SPOT!!!!!!!! It's the SEC! The Kentucky's and the Vandy's have GOT to WIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!They aren't giving you anything! Think of it like boxing , YOU are not getting the decision YOU got to WIN! Alabama, LSU and Florida's get the decision they get the calls they get the breaks the Kentucky's don't get no calls they don't get anything HANDED to them they GOT TO WIN! To win a SEC game Kentucky has got WIN! Kentucky has got to earn IT! Kentucky can't earn anything if the OC is calling GIVE UP play calls hoping to trick the other team or to get a good SPOT! That crap might work fine at Texas Tech but at Kentucky in the SEC you got a snowballs Chance in HELL! When you are down 14 to 0 in a SEC game you better have a play saved back that will get you 2 Yards on the 3rd and 2 or it's going to be a bad day!
I paid notice to the same series when we run the ball up the middle on 3rd and 2. Our running game is so pathetic how Brown can call a run on this play against a quality SEC opponent is mind boggling to say the least!! When will he get it that the chicken shit offense that had success in the Big 12 is not gonna get it done on the SEC.....
Black Bear Cuz Wrote:I paid notice to the same series when we run the ball up the middle on 3rd and 2. Our running game is so pathetic how Brown can call a run on this play against a quality SEC opponent is mind boggling to say the least!! When will he get it that the chicken shit offense that had success in the Big 12 is not gonna get it done on the SEC.....

Are you serious? Kentucky gives up 63 points, allows Georgia to go 7 for 7 on third downs and never punt, scores 24 in a quarter and 31 in a game and you complain about play calling?????? You sound like the less than intelligent people at the stadium yesterday complaining about UK running the football for 4 and 5 yards at a time on 1st down.
Pages: 1 2