Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Ashland
78.57%
Raceland
21.43%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raceland at Ashland 8/29
GoHerd_22 Wrote:Just making sure everybody realizes that little ol' Raceland has went into Putnam many times and won. This was a 1 point game last year, took OT and a trick play for Ashland to win. Cracks me up how Ashland people assume this game is a W year in and year out despite the fact Raceland has beat you guys or took it down to the wire on many occasions. Hate to break it to you Tomcats but Raceland is more than capable of leaving The newly finished Putnam with a W just as they did in 06', 07', and 08'. That's Ashlands problem, their arrogance outweighs reality. I sure hope the tiny little class A school can compete with the big bad 4a powerhouse...

Rams 36
Kittens 30
I don't assume a W against the Rams, Raceland has a heck of a program going right now arguably the 2nd best in the area. They have left a bad taste in our mouths on more then a few occasions. I personally felt like Ashland would roll NCC last week to open the New Stadium with a win. This week I'm a little more apprehensive about the Rams coming in. Still think Ashland will get the W, but I'm not as confident as I was last week. A team like Raceland who plays every year in Putnam gets comfortable with the environment and almost acts like its a home away from home. Also a David versus Goliath or us against the world type mentality. Raceland has nothing to lose in this game,they lose it they're suppose too, they win and it sends shockwaves across the state.
Go Raceland win one for all the A schools.
I love this rivalry. Its what rivalries are supposed to be like. Healthy, competitive, respectful, and heated all at the same time. We take our pot shots at each other, yes its true, but at the end of the day MOST are always supportive of eachother. Even if its a blow out, Ashland gains some experience with the spread offense and a loud opposing fan base that travels really well. Raceland gets to gauge of what kind of team they have, as well as seeing much needed speed. Looking foward to the next chapter in the rivalry
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:just pointing out no Ashland fan is saying this is a guaranteed W. That's all coming from other places.

Now, boys, reread my post. I didn't say Ashland would win. I said that obviously Ashland should win. There is a clear difference that should be understood even by products of the government schools.
Ashland Blazer 45
Raceland 19
All I heard all off season was this is one of the best Ashland teams ever, they are one of the top 5 four A teams this year, they were going to crush NCC. no one will stop their running game. Now we have two pages of how they are going to be in a barn burner and might get beat by a one A team. I guess this game will give us a good idea of how much noise Ashland will make in 4A this year.
sstack Wrote:All I heard all off season was this is one of the best Ashland teams ever, they are one of the top 5 four A teams this year, they were going to crush NCC. no one will stop their running game. Now we have two pages of how they are going to be in a barn burner and might get beat by a one A team. I guess this game will give us a good idea of how much noise Ashland will make in 4A this year.
idk where these predictions are coming from. Reality is this team. Has 18 new starters only 4 back from last year. So I prefer not too make to many predictions with such inexperience this team could be anywhere from 5-4 to 9-0 come playoffs.
Ashland 42 Raceland 18 :biglmao:
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:idk where these predictions are coming from. Reality is this team. Has 18 new starters only 4 back from last year. So I prefer not too make to many predictions with such inexperience this team could be anywhere from 5-4 to 9-0 come playoffs.

Te only teams on their schedule with a history of defeating them are JC, Russell, Raceland, GW, and Ironton. I dont see Ironton having any chance, even with it being at Tank. Russell is a toss up and so is Raceland at this point. I say 7-3/8-2 i think they will lose to JC and GW they r both away games i believe. Raceland or Russell CAN both win at Putnam. But I dont think they both will.
To many unknowns for me to pick a score for this game. Ashland has two returning starters on defense and two on offense. Sure, they have two outstanding backs in Baker and Long, not to mention the talent of the OB (his name slips my memory at the moment), but didn't they graduate their entire offensive line? Raceland has skill players out the wazoo, but they aren't very deep and I think the lack of depth will hurt them in the fourth quarter. I look for Ashland to win. No matter what, I hope it's a good game, and I hope it doesn't rain. Ha ha,
Scotty you are crazy, Ironton has a better chance than Russell or Raceland to beat Ashland. My goodness it's Ashland, not Highlands. They can be beat on any given night by a solid opponent.
GoHerd_22 Wrote:Scotty you are crazy, Ironton has a better chance than Russell or Raceland to beat Ashland. My goodness it's Ashland, not Highlands. They can be beat on any given night by a solid opponent.

Negative. Last season, Ashland held 1 point victories over Raceland and. Russell. They held a 42-20 win over Ironton. Word I get is Ironton will be the same if not a little worse than last year(this is coming from an assistant at Ironton). Raceland wont be as good upfront or in the run game, but they have a wealth of tallent at the skills positions and are much faster as a team. Russell is muh better this year. It's Russell, Raceland , Ironton, in that order, that holds the best chance at beating the Tomcats this year. Johnson Central has had their number as of late. All three of the above mentioned teams can win, but I expect them to beat 2/3. They can be beat, all of the above mentioned teams have done so. Greenup, Boyd, the Carters all have wins over Ashland in the past, but that doesnt mean they will this year. This is my opinion, anyway
When did Ashland play East or West Carter?
washed up Wrote:When did Ashland play East or West Carter?
West can't remember a time we did. East last time I remember was early 80s
I was refering to the program as a whole. Not in recent years. I was incorrect with West. As far back as i can find, they hadnt played.
Ramcat77 Wrote:To many unknowns for me to pick a score for this game. Ashland has two returning starters on defense and two on offense. Sure, they have two outstanding backs in Baker and Long, not to mention the talent of the OB (his name slips my memory at the moment), but didn't they graduate their entire offensive line? Raceland has skill players out the wazoo, but they aren't very deep and I think the lack of depth will hurt them in the fourth quarter. I look for Ashland to win. No matter what, I hope it's a good game, and I hope it doesn't rain. Ha ha,
Hope it doesn't rain either. Ashlands line graduating isn't such a bad thing since they were not very good at it last year. They should be much improved on the o-line this year.
GoHerd_22 Wrote:Scotty you are crazy, Ironton has a better chance than Russell or Raceland to beat Ashland. My goodness it's Ashland, not Highlands. They can be beat on any given night by a solid opponent.

Ashland only beat an average Russell team 7-6 last year. Baker had 85 yds. Everyone in this area are capable of beating the Tomcats this year. Not to say they will but Ashland is not the team they once were.
I agree. I was simply stating that with the tallent Ashlandhas this year, I cant see them going 5-4. When is the last time they lost to Raceland, Ironton, JC, and Russell in the same year? When is the last time Ashland didnt finish 7-3 or better?
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:I agree. I was simply stating that with the tallent Ashlandhas this year, I cant see them going 5-4. When is the last time they lost to Raceland, Ironton, JC, and Russell in the same year? When is the last time Ashland didnt finish 7-3 or better?
2009 we were 2-8 and 6-4 he next year I believe. Not that long ago
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:2009 we were 2-8 and 6-4 he next year I believe. Not that long ago

Since 1998 (furthest khsaa would go back) Ashland has had 2 losing seasons. 99 (3-7) and 2009 (2-8). A few 6-4 season sprinkled in, but over the last 15 years they avg a record of 7-3. Johnson Central, Highlands, and CovCath being the only consistent thirn in their side. Back in the 90s while in 3A, Bell/Rock Castle/Dixie heights gave them trouble in the post season. But as for local teams, JC is the only consistent loss. Raceland had a few wins, but thats the way itsbeen.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Since 1998 (furthest khsaa would go back) Ashland has had 2 losing seasons. 99 (3-7) and 2009 (2-8). A few 6-4 season sprinkled in, but over the last 15 years they avg a record of 7-3. Johnson Central, Highlands, and CovCath being the only consistent thirn in their side. Back in the 90s while in 3A, Bell/Rock Castle/Dixie heights gave them trouble in the post season. But as for local teams, JC is the only consistent loss. Raceland had a few wins, but thats the way itsbeen.

I think that we can all conclude that, other than Johnson Central, Ashland's district is extremely weak. Wins over Greenup County, Boyd County, and Rowan County are givens. And, I believe poor East Carter enters the district next year. Is that correct? If so, the district, if possible, will be weaker.

And, of course, the region is devastated of any real credibility as FTH and CovCath move on to Class 5A. With all due respect to Johnson Central, the cupboard will be practically bare.
^^^i agree. Same thing happens w Raceland. We move to a 3 team district. Us, Paintsville and Fairview. Pikeville, Hazard, and Williamsburg will all be in region 4. Leaving Raceland with Bishop Brossart, Bracken County, Nicholas County and Paris. Region 4 will end up beig the toughest region to come out of.
Which doesnt hurt my feeling any. For years we shared a region with NCC, Beechwood, and Bellevue when they were still Bellevue and Bardstown if u go back far enough.
Putty Tats will win this one. Raceland won't be able to run the ball effectively enough to win. hope i'm wrong but, when your three main guys can only get 60 yards against East it doesn't look good.
East was loading the box.. So Raceland toasted them for 400 pass yards. Had nothing to do with Raceland not being good in the run game, simply outnumbered in the box. East didn't stop Racelands run game, Raceland coaches took advantage of East's approach and torched them in the air. Could Raceland have ran it 50 times and beat East, absolutely. But why do that when they have the capability to throw and take advantage of scheme East chose to run.
The running game must get more consistent. If you look at play calling though, it was about dead even.

Passing: 17/25 for 342yds 0 ints 5 tds
Rushing: 20 attempts for 72 yds

We just covered more ground through the air. When it comes to the running game, I look at yds/carry. Right now we are averaging 3.6 yds/carry. That has to come up. But, coupled with our passing attack, it will keep teams from putting 8 in the box and runnig a zone in the secondary. Last year teams could do that (though it rarely mattered) because we didnt have much of a verticle passing threat. Thats the difference offensively this year. Games like this is where not having a 4.5/4.6 RB can hurt you. Our backs our built for traps up the gut, our line is built for an option and fast paced offense. We will definitely know what we have in the run game after this week. If we can keep them honest and DO NOT TURN THE BALL OVER, we will have a shot at winning. Last years defense gave up yardagebetween the 20s then went into lockdown for the most part in the opposing redzone, this defense isnt as big, but its pretty quick. Lets hope thats enough to slow down the Three-headed-Kitten.
^^^if our yds/carry comes up to around 5-6yds...we will behard to beat.
We will see how good the QB is Friday. Hope he does well. Ashland will send pressure. They wont set back like East did and get picked apart.
If it is not a sloppy field I think the Tomcats will be hard to stop, Baker and Long are just so fast. Raceland is a very good team and have built a really nice program, I just think Ashland, especially at Putnam Stadium is a better team. If the field is good and the Tomcats can run the ball, I have Ashland over Raceland 42-24.
I think its goina be close, not "last year close", but i think the tomcats are a TD better on paper, then Im giving them another TD for being at home. So I think its goina be something like

'Cats 35
Rams 22

But wont be shocked if Raceland pulls one out of there rear end OR if itsa blowout. Nothing will shock me other than a thumping by Raceland