Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2014 Daily Independent Prep Football Preview
“Sometimes when you have a program that hasn’t had a lot of success, they have a tendency to say we deserve this, like when we lose five games in the fourth quarter,” Mullins said. “I’m trying to get them to understand, it’s not about what you deserve, it’s what you go out and take and make happen. That’s been the message overall and I think they are buying into it.”
Aaron Snyder / The Independent Warren Harding, the nation’s 29th president, invented the word “normalcy” in 1920.
Harding vowed to help America rediscover a healthy, enjoyable way of life two years after World War I ended.

A dozen years later, Franklin Roosevelt implemented the New Deal, designed to heal the gaping wounds left open by the catastrophic Great Depression.
Fred Ray has no seismic solutions or radical changes in mind when it comes to fixing Fairview football. The first-year head coach’s approach is simple: Start fresh.
So, every single banner that previously greeted the eye at Fairview Stadium is — poof! — gone.
The “Struttin’ Eagle” that puffs out its chest is — bam! — back at the summit of the scoreboard.
Players who weathered the storm are embracing their chance to shine.
--------------
Blake Smith and his teammates struggled to determine what direction to go.
“It just happened so all of a sudden,” Smith said. “You really didn’t know what to think.”
Fairview self-imposed a penalty of 18 vacated wins and the subtraction of its 2012 state finals appearance to go with a $5,000 fine after a player who suited up in those 19 contests was discovered ineligible to participate in those games.
In addition, the Kentucky High School Athletic Association banned the Eagles from postseason play one year after they marched farther than any other team in the 43-year history of the program.
A few days prior to receiving that verdict, Fairview coaches informed players of impending punishment, although the severity was yet to be revealed.
Anger permeated the locker room, and most of the players later reacted by ripping the “F” decals off their helmets hours before kickoff against Nicholas County. They each also scribbled “61 brothers” onto strips of duct tape that adhered to the back of their headwear.
“That was after Raceland week. After we lost to Raceland — that’s always disappointing — then we hear that news and it’s even more disappointing,” Smith recalled. The loss to the Rams was Fairview’s first regular season defeat since 2010. “Looking back at it now, it was crazy how it all happened so fast.”
Easy wins over Nicholas County and James Gamble Montessori (Ohio) ensued, but there was little chatter about the action on the field.
-----
By the end of the school year, many of the faces seen in the preseason team picture had disappeared.
Head coach Nathan McPeek submitted his resignation after six years at the helm. Garry McPeek did the same in the positions of high school principal, athletic director and assistant coach. Both are now at different high schools in Georgia. Former defensive coordinator Kyle McKnight also exited.
Thirteen seniors graduated. Player transfers piled up as abundantly and quickly as rainfall in a typhoon. Talent dispersed in various directions — to several local schools such as Ashland and Boyd County, and even four different states — as the number of outgoing players reached double digits.
The team that boasted an all-time-high 68 players on the 2013 roster now claims 39. The Eagles regularly dressed in that numeric neighborhood prior to McPeek’s arrival.
Has the dust settled?
Not quite. Now invading the community of Westwood is an ongoing Office of Education Accountability investigation that reportedly involves financial irregularities stemming from alleged athlete recruitment.
Remarkably, the buzz surrounding Fairview football is diminished to no more than a peep behind closed doors.
“We don’t pay attention to all that,” Smith said boldly.
Ray confirmed Smith’s declaration.
“There’s not really a whole lotta talk, to be honest,” said Ray, who was a Fairview assistant from 2009-12. “Unfortunately, some things arose, and I addressed it as a coach, but I never heard any mumblings in our locker room.
“We only can control what’s going on inside the lines. All those other distractions, there are people up there in higher positions than me that can handle that.”
“It was tough,” Smith said. “I had a lot of close, close friends that left … Seeing close friends leave, that’s hard. But I’ve been here my whole life and I’m going to stick with Fairview, even when other people leave.”
Smith has never attended another school.
Smith, Dan Metzler and Kyle Stormes are three seniors who Smith considers long-established Westwood boys.
“It’s just amazing growing up and playing with these guys,” Smith said. “It’s also surreal seeing this senior year come along. We’ve talked, as seniors, and we want to lay the foundation for upcoming years, show younger guys how to play, show them how to represent Fairview.”
Smith and Stormes are both starting wideouts on offense. Defensively, they’ll play in the secondary.
Metzler is a lineman.
“All the seniors have to play a big role this year,” Stormes said. “We have a lot of weight on our shoulders.”
Returning players accounted for less than 5 percent of the rushing offense last year, and the backfield graduated no one.
Smith is just one of seven Eagle receivers to catch at least one pass in 2013. As of mid-August, he was also the only one back from that group.
Of Metzler’s four fellow offensive linemen, two graduated and two transferred.
Regardless of Eagle Exodus, Smith stays positive.
“We, as a team, are going to be all right, and I’m going to be all right,” Smith said. “You just gotta keep pushing through and persevere through all the tough stuff. It makes you a better, stronger person.
“Toughness is the key word,” he continued. “Just pure toughness.”
What could have been? It would be fair for any 17- or 18-year-old to ask the question, but no one seems to deem it necessary.
In fact, Smith and Stormes both agreed that the heavy dose of adversity has tightened the bonds among those who do remain.
“Last year, we were a team, but this year we’re more of a family,” Stormes said. “All the players are closer than ever.”
------
Fairview hired Fred Ray in January.
Would the 33-year-old have taken the job if he knew of all that would transpire over future months?
He leaves little doubt.
“Of course there were some things I didn’t know about, but we’re fine,” Ray assured with a smile. “My high school coach always said expect the unexpected. Things come at you, and you don’t have a clue where they come from, but you’ve just gotta be prepared to handle it.
“Our boys are still here; our coaches are still coaching. We can only take care of what we’ve got here in the program now. We’re coming together as a staff, as a football team. I’m proud of these guys for sticking around ... It’s a good sign.”
Zack Klemme / The Independent When you ask Zack Moore a question about East Carter’s 2014 football team and the coach cracks a one-liner about still not being sure what to expect, it may not just be that he’s trying to be evasive or using coachspeak.
After losing 13 of their 22 starters and populating 75 percent of their roster with freshmen or sophomores, the Raiders really have had that many preseason questions.

“We have a lot of guys on an even playing field right now,” Moore said. “Hopefully that’s a good thing and we can develop some competition there and push ourselves to be a little better than we have in the past, and create depth.”
If that can happen, Moore sees a club that has the potential to surprise, he said.
“I hate to sell this team short,” the coach said. “I don’t think there are gonna be a lot of expectations for them, but at the same time, we’ve got some hard-headedness and some feistiness to us maybe that people don’t understand right now.
“They don’t like to lose. That doesn’t mean you’re not going to, but I do think that we could be sneaky good if we do our part by preparing well and finishing out the preseason like we should.”
Part of that preparation is an offensive formation change. The Raiders are moving from the flexbone to an up-tempo, four-receiver spread look, though Moore noted East Carter’s slotbacks in the flexbone “were essentially wide receiver types” anyway.
“We may go out of some different formations just because of our personnel being different, but other than that, we’re gonna run a lot of the same stuff we always have,” Moore said. “And really, it doesn’t matter what kind of window dressing you give it, it’s how you block it up front, and there’s not a lot of difference in what we’re doing there.”
Senior receiver Kyle Yates called the adjustment to a new offensive scheme “hard at first,” but said the Raiders’ acclimation has been solid.
“We’re going no-huddle this year and we’ve gotta get all those signs and stuff down,” he said. “We just gotta be quick. Everybody’s gotta get in shape. But I like our offense. It’s going really good.”
Calling the signals will be either senior Logan Morrison or freshman Taylor Hickle, Moore said. Whoever nails down that job will pilot an offense that has started seniors at quarterback the last two seasons and loses leading rusher Jordan Ratcliff to transfer.
Junior Darin Phillips will lead the running back corps. At receiver, Yates fills that role.
Behind those two, Moore expects to use a whole lot of possible playmakers “by committee.”
“We’re gonna roll as many people in and out of there as we can,” Moore said. “If we can’t overwhelm you with physical force right now, we’ll overwhelm you with numbers, or try to.”
Moore cited senior Ryan Hall, sophomore Camren Staton and junior center Austin Marshall as players to watch on the offensive line.
“We’ve got new faces there, but I think we’ve done a better job as a staff preparing our offensive and defensive lines this year,” the coach said. “We’ve (had) fewer than five guys we felt good about in the past, and we’ve got five to seven guys that, although they’re not probably competing at the highest level right now, we’re hoping that those seven guys can continue to improve together throughout the season.”
Defensively, Moore said East Carter will continue to use an odd front (in which a defensive tackle lines up directly opposite the opponent’s center).
Senior Cole Carter and junior Chase Webb “have both really played well at our inside linebacker positions,” Moore said. Junior Peyton Wilburn has impressed at outside linebacker.
Sophomore safety Dalton Whitt drew mention from his coach as well.
Nice work Goreddevils must stink having to wait till next week for Russell's season to start. Betting a lot of Devil fans will be at Putnam tomorrow night. Can't wait Ashland will be fun to watch as will all of our area schools.
“He’s undersized, even by defensive back standards, but again, has really good football savvy,” Moore said.
Junior Evan Huddle, the Raiders’ lone returning All-Area selection, is back to placekick and punt.
East  Carter understands why — on paper — outside expectations will be low for the Raiders, who are 7-23 entering Moore’s fourth season as coach.
“People this year aren’t gonna expect a lot of us, because we’ve got a lot of new people that haven’t got a lot of varsity time in,” Yates said. “I think people are just gonna kind of blow us off, but we do have some good players and good plays, and we can make stuff happen.”
The coach is ready to see what they can do on the field.
“People might think we’re crazy, I guess, because we haven’t had a lot of success in the win-loss column,” Moore said. “But we prepare every week to win, and our kids have been in position a lot of those times.
“There’s not a kid here that knows anything other than the way that we’ve done things, so I’m hoping that that mentality is 100-percent-all-buy-in right now.”
T-CATS Wrote:Nice work Goreddevils must stink having to wait till next week for Russell's season to start. Betting a lot of Devil fans will be at Putnam tomorrow night. Can't wait Ashland will be fun to watch as will all of our area schools.
Not my workConfusedhh: but I'm posting because Alot of people don't get the paper and might want to see.
Ray Schaefer / For The Independent If you have any doubts about Rowan County coach Ray Graham’s passion about his job and his players, look at the left sleeve of his long-sleeve, forest green sweat-wicking shirt.
You’ll find “Victory” written in Vegas gold and an Old English font.

Look at his right sleeve, where you’ll see “Valor.”
Still not convinced? Look at the back — that’s where you’ll see “Gunnar” — Graham says it’s a Nordic word for “warrior” — and some scripture: 1 Corinthians 9:24-26, which states “Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air.”
To say Graham is enthusiastic about football is like calling the Minnesota Vikings’ Adrian Peterson a decent running back.
Graham returns for his second stint in Morehead.
After guiding the Vikings to a 24-11 record from 1980-82 (and an 11-1 mark in ‘81 that included going to the state semifinals), Graham coached for 25 years at Harrison County. He later led Lexington Christian Academy to the 2009 Class A state title, and a 10-4 record the next year.
Graham is also trying a sartorial “Back to the Future” approach to his and his players’ equipment. A Vegas metallic gold, Minnesota-type Viking head logo replaces the script “RC” on the forest green helmets, and Graham has a “V” on the front of his baseball cap — the same logo his teams sported in 1980.
“It got to be where that was a symbol of winning football at Rowan County,” Graham said. “ … We’ve got that stripe with the point on it (this year), and back in the back of it we’ve got that “V.”
Ray Schaefer / For The Independent Graham has noticed one difference between 1980s players with their unquestioned obedience and today’s. “Now, I think they want to be explained to, ‘how this works,’” Graham said. “They see these things on TV, they hear what different people say.”
Graham also said there’s something in common. “I’ve still got those raw-boned, rock-jawed tough mountain kids that’ll fight you,” he said.
There will be a radically different look on offense — Graham brings back the Wing-T with its three and sometimes four running backs who all can run or throw along with doing some misdirection blocking.
“It’s more power-oriented this time around,” senior lineman Jonathan Mayo said. “At first it was pretty complicated, but then as time went on, it started clicking.”
Graham believes he has enough talented players to pull off a “platoon” approach on offense.
Starting with quarterback — junior Devin Helvey (5-foot-10, 150 pounds) and sophomore Spencer Price (6-2, 155) played last season. Helvey threw for 573 yards and five touchdowns (he also threw 15 interceptions), but he’ll run the ball at right halfback as much as he’ll throw it.
“Quarterback was never really my favorite position,” Helvey said. “I wanted to be in a favorite position where I had the ball given to me more than give it away. Not that quarterback isn’t a glorious position, but I like playing running back.”
Price said his height and the accompanying ability to see over defenders gives him an advantage when he’s in the game.
If Helvey isn’t the quarterback, he and senior Kyle Bowling likely will be the halfbacks. Bowling has not played football since he was a freshman. Senior Nathan Menix (6-0, 230) is the likely starter at fullback.
Rowan County’s offensive line finished second to Ryle in the Strongest Man tournament last month at Western Hills.
“We did 20-yard dash, tire flip, farmer’s carry, truck push, basketball throw, sled push,” junior lineman Blake Chapman said.
Added Mayo: “Last year I relied on my strength more; this year, I add a lot more technique. I’ll stay low and drive the (opponent) a lot farther.”
At 6-2 and 260, Chapman is the heftiest. Joining him and Mayo (6-0, 240) are: senior Kyle Barker (6-0, 245); senior Ryan Anderson (6-1, 185), senior Jacob Little (5-10, 205); and sophomore tackle James Moore (6-5, 220).
If Rowan County’s O-line has a concern, it’s depth. Junior Daulton Highley (6-3, 330) is out for the year with a torn anterior cruciate knee ligament, and junior David Pennington (5-10, 195) suffered a shoulder injury this summer.
Graham plans to rotate Bowling, juniors Kayne Perry (5-8, 260) and Corey Webb (6-5, 430) and senior Cody Shropshire at nose guard.
Juniors Andrew Kelsey (6-1, 195) and Jeff Masters (5-10, 240) are the defensive ends. Juniors Tyler Stevens and A.J. Smith are the inside linebackers, and senior Adam Long and junior Trevor Stevens are outside linebackers.
If Stevens is not a linebacker, he’ll be a cornerback with either senior Dustin Jones or senior Cody Adams. Junior Blake Carver or senior Jacob Taylor should split time at safety.
Zack Klemme / The Independent One season after a dominant 11-0 start floated away with a stunning playoff setback to Covington Catholic, Johnson Central is trying to figure out how to replicate and even exceed that success.
All that, without its top three rushers or starting quarterback from last season.

But because of the wealth of depth in the Golden Eagles’ playmaking corps, they still expect to be in the conversation among the top teams in the area and, potentially, the state in Class 4A once again.
“This is gonna be an unusual, exciting, nerve-racking year, and we’ll see if we can truly keep this thing going,” Johnson Central coach Jim Matney said. “We’re kind of under the philosophy of the ‘next man in,’ and I think that’s a pretty good summation. We’re telling our people, ‘OK, it’s your turn,’ and we’re gonna see how far that takes us.”
The aforementioned next men in will have to take the place of graduated quarterback Zach Gound and running backs Jordan Young and Josh Dillon, as well as Daymion Belcher, who transferred to Paintsville. Belcher, Young and Dillon combined for 3,166 rushing yards and 55 touchdowns last year.
“It’s the first year since I’ve been here that we have to replace our entire backfield. That’s the bad news,” Matney said. “The good news is, we’ve got some very capable people stepping in.”
Senior Patrick Rice and sophomore Gunner Slone are “a couple of big, hard-running backs,” Matney said. Juniors Connor Ratliff and Bryce Skaggs provide speed in the backfield.
Junior Bryce Workman takes over under center. He was an All-Area free safety last season in his first year as a Golden Eagle and started at QB for Sheldon Clark as a freshman.
Among his targets are senior Dalton Adkins, Johnson Central’s leading receiver last year with 479 yards and six TDs, and senior tight end Truman Salyer.
Senior center Zac Salyer, senior tackle Tristen Salyer and senior tackle Seth Ratliff lead the offensive line.
Junior Daniel Meade anchors the defensive front, Matney said. Brothers Aaron King and Nathan King are defensive tackles, and Rice and junior Blake Martin will play defensive ends.
Linebacking spots were still up for grabs as of press time. Workman, Adkins, Blake Gamble, Geordan Blanton, Garret McCloud and Connor Ratliff will compete for time in the secondary, Matney said.
Tyler Pack, who set the state record for longest field goal with a 60-yard free kick last season, returns. He’s the top-ranked kicker nationally in the junior class and No. 5 overall, according to prokicker.com.
“That’s a special threat,” Matney said. “To have a kid ranked No. 1 in the country in anything is perhaps a once-in-a-lifetime thing for us, but it’s a special weapon and we want to use him and hopefully we’ll never go scoreless in the red zone.”
Johnson  Central has won five of the last six district championships, but has run into the wall that is Northern Kentucky football — specifically, Covington Catholic and Highlands — each of those last six seasons.
The Colonels handled the Golden Eagles in the second round of the Class 4A playoffs each of the last two seasons. The Bluebirds knocked Johnson Central out of the postseason in each of the four seasons before that.
This is the last year Johnson Central will have CovCath and Highlands to worry about, as both are going to Class 5A in the KHSAA realignment that takes effect next season.
The Golden Eagles, though, would love to break through that wall now.
“Sometime we have to get over the hump and be able to win out when we go into that regional playoff against the Northern Kentucky teams,” Matney said. “Obviously you want to win a district championship ... but every year it’s really come down to the wire, and we expect nothing less than that.”
Zack Klemme / The Independent Lawrence County lost to graduation the players responsible for 94 percent of its offensive yardage last season.
But it’s not exactly gloom and doom for the Bulldogs. They believe once a host of unproven but talented skill position players get the rhythm of the double-wing belly option, Lawrence County can pick up where it left off in 2013.

You know, when it went 8-4 and had three 1,000-yard rushers — then-seniors A.J. Cyrus, Derek Ferguson and Ricky Goble.
“I felt the same (entering) last year, that we were in a situation where we had a chance,” Bulldogs coach Joe Cecil said. “We were in the same boat last year.
“Other than A.J. and Ricky, the other guys were newcomers, Derek and Cameron (Little) ... we kind of feel we’re in that same boat. We’ve got a lot to prove. We think there’s some potential there and we’re just gonna try and get better one day at a time.”
What Lawrence County does bring back is experienced offensive line play. Four linemen who saw significant duty last year return.
That’s not even the best part, from Cecil’s perspective.
“(Line play) is what we thought would be our strength,” the coach said, “but what’s happened is, we’ve been blessed to have some kids come out that haven’t been out. We’ve got several of our basketball kids out. That’s really gonna help us athletically.”
Four-fifths of Lawrence County basketball’s starting lineup will loosen limbs on the gridiron. That includes junior Grant Kiser, who started at safety the last two years and takes over for Cyrus under center.
“I’ve run the (belly option) reads since I was a freshman, so I’m kind of starting to get it down,” Kiser said. “I’m getting better at it this year as it goes on. Hopefully by Week 1 I’ll be good at it.”
Added Cecil: “He’s played running back, he’s been the quarterback of our defense, so I feel real confident with him.”
Other basketball players who could contribute at skill positions are Timmy Dalton, who amassed a team-high 437 receiving yards and five touchdowns before leaving the team late last year, Austin Chaffins and Brandon Richardson.
Senior wingback/tailback Morgan O’Brian returns after missing the last season and a half with a torn ACL and MCL.
“He’s been in those big games and he knows how to play,” Cecil said. “He’s moving well and I think he’s almost back to 100 percent. Really just a chance to have a big year.”
Junior Dylan Simpkins should see time at wingback. Cecil said he “had a great summer, caught it well, ran it well. I’m looking for big things out of him.”
Junior Cole Mosley will start at fullback. He’s the team’s leading returning rusher, with 262 yards and four touchdowns. Sophomore Blake Ramey will spell him.
“As far as our running back situation, it’s raw. I will say that,” Cecil said. “But I think there’s a lot of potential.”
Senior Noah Lambert, who had three scoring receptions and 336 yards last year, returns at split end. Junior Luke Schaeffer is back at tight end.
Up front, senior center Mikey Johnson, senior left tackle Tyler Blankenship, junior right guard Austin Ross and junior right tackle Josh Ratliff are returning starters.
Defensively, Lawrence County expects to use both odd and even looks. It will use some of the same personnel on the defensive line as on offense, with Zach Blankenship, Alex Endicott, Justin Vaughn and Dustin Fairchild also pushing for reps.
The Bulldogs have some depth at linebacker and “are capable of going big or small, and we see a lot of spread, and so you gotta get more athletes on the field,” Cecil said. Devon Perry, Ross, Zack Triplett, Morgan Triplett, Schaeffer, Matt Ratliff, Tyler Horton and Blayne Brewer all could see time there.
Zach  Keesee steps into a leadership role at safety. Morgan Miller and Richardson are also in the mix there. Zack Berry, Avery Bowman and Chaffins will play cornerback. Returning two-year starter Brad Lycan is working through a shoulder injury incurred during 7-on-7 action, Cecil said.
The Bulldogs again are without a placekicker, Cecil said.
The last three seasons, Lawrence County has won its Class 3A playoff opener only to run smack into mighty Belfry in the second round. The result: three resounding losses to the Pirates.
The Bulldogs have had enough of that, they said.
“The coaches are really upbeat this year,” Kiser said. “We want to get back, but this year we want to get farther than we did last year.”
Ray Schaefer / For The Independent Every time Lewis County’s football team practices, senior running back Dalton Stamm mentions it: the Lions have never won a playoff game.
“I say it every day just because I know we have the talent,” Stamm said. “It’s been here for a while.”

Lewis County finished 7-4 in 2013, the second winning season in three years, which now matters nothing to senior center Jesse Burriss because he remembers the just over 120-mile trip to Lancaster, where Garrard County humiliated the Lions, 43-13, maybe more than his teammates.
“Just the turnovers and the bad things we did in the game just hurt us,” Burriss said. “We could’ve beat that team.”
Ask Lions head coach Josh Hughes, a 1999 Lewis County graduate, how he’s a different coach today from 2008, when he replaced Brandon Combs, and he hearkens back to his second season in 2009, when he came off a 1-9 nightmare.
“We were 1-9 my first year, and I was torn up every week,” Hughes said. “I think I started trying to figure out what (the players) were going through a little bit more … You’ve got to empathize with the kids a little bit.”
And now? Hughes makes sure he has tolerance when dealing with his players.
“I mentioned there was a lot of stuff that I tried to control that you couldn’t,” Hughes said last month. “And I’m better at letting little stuff go … Even a few times in practice, a kid does something stupid at a water break. Well, it’s not the end of the world; it’s a water break.
“Teenagers will do what teenagers do, and I’m a little better dealing with that now.”
In a Big 12 football Media Day press conference July 22, Kansas State head coach Bill Snyder said when he was a young coach, he was never satisfied with the job he had. When he was an assistant at Indio (California) High School in 1965, he wanted to be a head coach, and when he was an offensive coordinator at Iowa in 1988, he wanted to be a head coach.
So, what does someone in Manhattan, Kansas, have to do with Hughes in Vanceburg? This: Lewis County is his dream job.
“I just got lucky a lot quicker,” Hughes said. “This is as good as it gets for me.”
The 2014 season could be a good one, too, because this year’s Lions are an experienced pride — 15 seniors back, and 10 starters on both offense and defense. Just don’t tell Hughes it’s the best chance Lewis County will ever have to win a playoff game.
In between a 4-7 slog in 2012, there was 2011’s 8-3 celebration, which included their Class 3A, District 6 championship — the first since 1985 (to go with the ’74 and ’78 crowns).
Lewis County’s power-I offense features three running backs — Stamm (5-foot-10, 240 pounds) and fellow seniors Tyler Mustard (5-10, 160) and Mason Thurman (5-9, 250).
Senior quarterback Isaac Weddington (6-3, 210), who was a Kentucky Governor’s Scholar student this summer, begins his second season under center, and 2013 was strong — he threw for 1,626 yards and 22 touchdowns with just 11 interceptions.
“I think he started taking what (defenses) gave him a little bit more,” Hughes said. “He’s an extremely smart kid, his arm’s good and his head obviously makes good football decisions.”
Lewis County ran for 1,815 yards and threw for 1,666. Weddington said his team will keep a balanced offense.
Hughes said his team won close games last season they often lost in 2012, and he said a 28-21 win on Oct. 25 at West Carter was an example. He remembers one play in particular: a late fourth-and-2 completion to now-senior Jordan Davis. It kept a drive going, and Weddington hit then-senior Chase Parker with the winning touchdown.
Mustard (598 passing yards, seven touchdowns last year) and Davis (473 yards, five TDs) should be Weddington's favorite targets. Junior Kirkland Everman is the tight end.
Burriss (5-11, 265), senior tackles Zach McClurg (6-0, 180) and Jakob Cooper (5-10, 160), senior guard Dustin Shope (6-1, 300) and Jakob's cousin, junior guard Jacob Cooper (6-2, 200) make up the offensive line. Burriss played offensive tackle the last two seasons; he said his focus is considerably narrower now.
“My main focus is linebacker,” Burriss said, “and we haven’t been able to block a linebacker in the past, so I hope I can get that done. You’ve got to have a good angle and you’ve got to have (a) good shot on him. You’ve got to have your head at his chest and you’ve got to turn him.”
Lewis County will likely run a 4-3 defensive front, with Stamm and Thurman at tackles and McClurg and senior Jared Stapleton (6-2, 175) as ends.
Mustard, Everman and senior Austin Egbert are the linebackers, Davis and junior Taylor Skidmore (5-10, 180) are the cornerbacks, and junior Austin Evans (5-7, 145) and sophomore Zane Frye-Scott (5-10, 170) are the safeties.
Junior outside linebacker Steven Bradford (5-10, 160) returns from a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee. Other key reserves include junior defensive lineman Andrew Swingler (6-4, 180), junior cornerbacks Isaiah Esham (5-8, 130) and junior safety/cornerback Michael Lumpkins.
Lewis County opens Friday at home against Greenup County.
Stamm says he’ll push his teammates — hopefully to the playoff win.
“My age group, we’ve been here, we’ve all been working hard,” Stamm said. “We broke the (tradition at) Lewis County. We’re winning, and we definitely have the talent to do that.”
Zack Klemme / The Independent West Carter has taken its lumps — figuratively and literally — over the past couple of seasons.
The Comets went 0-10 on the field two years ago. After a 2-1 start to 2013, they lost their final seven games and were riddled with injuries along the way.

But West Carter finally feels it has a mix of talent and experience, and looks to use it to snap a two-year playoff drought.
“We feel like the last couple years, we’ve played a lot of young guys, and those guys have now become sophomores, juniors and seniors,” coach Kevin Brown said. “And they’ve played a lot of football, so that experience should bode well for us.”
Two injuries, in particular, nagged West Carter beyond what it could afford last fall.
Quarterback  Braden Brown rushed for 839 yards and 12 touchdowns and tossed for 464 yards and five scores last season despite being limited to parts of six games by two separate incidents of a high ankle sprain. He is 100 percent, according to his head coach, also his uncle.
Senior running back Tristen Mitchell went down for the year with a torn ACL in Week 2 having already rushed for 85 yards and a touchdown per game through the first two contests.
Having them back gives West Carter confidence it can regain the offensive lightning it captured early last season — 41.3 points per game through the first four weeks, including 45 and 55 in the first two outings — before injuries mounted.
“It’s hard to be prepared for losing the fastest guy on your team, and that happened pretty early, in Week 4,” Kevin Brown said of Braden Brown’s injury. “Then once injuries start happening, it seems like they just snowball, and when you’re young and have those injuries, it’s a whole lot harder for you to recover, and we didn’t do a good job of that.
“Hopefully, if we get put in that situation again, whether it’s our quarterback or a tackle or what-have-you, we’re gonna be better able to handle it.”
Senior Austin Travis and Mitchell will split time at running back in West Carter’s primarily one-back spread set. Ethan Brown and freshman Peyton Brown will also see snaps in the backfield, the coach said.
Junior Zach Walker led the team in receiving last year, with 408 yards and six scores through the air. He returns to the wideout corps, along with Tristan Mosbey, Dalton Thornsberry and Chase Hanshaw.
Shelton Kouns and Chris Johnson will also see time as part of what Kevin Brown sees as a deep group of playmakers.
“Any one of them are capable of scoring at any time they touch the ball,” the coach said. “They’ve all got good speed and, for the most part, good hands, and anybody that breaks in there and gets to play in any of those positions from this point on are really gonna have to step up and show us something.”
West Carter is looking for improved offensive line play.
”Last year they were young and weak,” Kevin Brown said. “They worked hard in the weight room and worked a little bit harder on conditioning, so hopefully that’ll pay off for them.”
Sophomore Evan Knipp mans center, senior Cody Lawhorn will play center and tackle, and junior Danny Ingles and junior William Jordan are the guards. Junior Caden Stephens and senior Austin Kilgore are getting looks at tackle, and senior Colt McGlone and senior Tanner Eldridge will be in the mix as well.
Defensively, the Comets allowed 34.1 points a night last season from mostly a 33 stack look. That’s somewhat skewed by yielding 48 or more points on three occasions — and four of West Carter’s losses were by a possession or less — but reducing that number is high on the Comets’ to-do list.
“It doesn’t matter what (system) you play when you tackle the way we’ve tackled the last two years,” Kevin Brown said. “You can’t give up 35 points per game and expect to win. Part of that was due to inexperience; part of it, got the wrong guys on defense. So we’re gonna find the right guys to put on defense that want to be over there and want to make plays.”
Travis, West Carter’s leading returning tackler after making 80 stops a year ago, is the key to the defense, Kevin Brown said. Travis and Jordan will man inside linebacker slots, Hanshaw and Mitchell will play outside linebacker, and Kouns and Kilgore will see time at either linebacker or on the line.
Stephens and McGlone will play defensive tackle.
In the secondary, Ethan Brown, Peyton Brown, Thornsberry, Johnson, senior Dwight Parsons and freshman Austin Walker will vie for time.
Peyton Brown and Mosbey will handle placekicking and punting.
Zack Klemme / The Independent Roster comings and goings due to graduation, injury, transfer, and the like make piecing a lineup together that much more complicated for any coach.
That’s further magnified at small schools such as Paintsville, which at press time planned to dress 28 players this fall.

The Tigers hope players coming in due to transfer and returning from injury will help make up for others who will have to miss time or have departed from last season’s club.
“We lost a lot to graduation,” coach Joe Chirico said. “It’s kind of iron man football. They know that. Everyone has to sacrifice.”
Quarterback  Mark Fannin graduated. Kent Phelps, the team’s leading rusher in 2013, is out for the year recovering from labrum surgery, Chirico said.
That’s the bad news. But the Tigers get quarterback Kash Daniel back after he broke a foot last year and picked up 1,300-yard rusher Daymion Belcher in a transfer from Johnson Central.
Luke Trimble and Peyton Smith also return at receiver.
All told, Paintsville figures to have the playmakers to keep things interesting at the Walter J. Brugh Football Complex, one year after going 8-4 as Chirico garnered Class A, District 7 coach of the year honors from the Kentucky Football Coaches Association.
“They’re excited,” Chirico said. “Any time you have a winning season or semi-successful season, kids get excited. The weight room time and offseason have been really neat.”
Added Daniel: “We’ve got multiple guys, multiple threats, that can run the ball and help us through situations and score.”
Foremost among those is Belcher. The senior back, who hadn’t yet been cleared medically as of mid-preseason but whom Chirico said was expected to be ready for Week 1, rushed for more than 1,000 yards each of the last two seasons.
Belcher racked up 1,377 yards and 18 scores on the ground last fall as the Golden Eagles went 11-1.
“He’s not gonna have quite the number of linemen that were blocking for him in (Class) 4A,” Chirico said, “so he’s still gotta battle and work hard.”
Joining him in the backfield will be Cody Charles, who caught two touchdown passes last season at Pikeville before transferring, Darren Morris, who rushed for two scores last year, and Alex Spencer, who punched in three TDs.
“It helps a lot,” Daniel said of having backfield depth, “keeping defenses from keying on one guy.”
Daniel is taking over calling the signals.
“He’s healthy,” Chirico said while rapping his knuckles against his wooden desk, “and he’ll be our quarterback.”
Trimble, the team’s leading receiver with 310 yards through the air to go with four touchdown catches, returns out wide, along with Smith, who had 294 yards and three scores. Morris could also see time at receiver.
Defensively, Paintsville will run a 3-4 look, Chirico said.
Trent Childers, Spencer and Darrell Sherman will man the defensive line. Gabe Burchell, the team’s leading returning tackler with 85 stops a year ago, is back at linebacker.
Smith and Trimble are expected to anchor the secondary.
Ray Schaefer / For The Independent When he’s not coaching Morgan County’s football team, you can find Brian Turner mowing his 52-acre farm, riding one of nine Kentucky Mountain Saddle or Tennessee Walking horses with sons Chase and Seth or preaching at one of several Baptist churches in his native Breathitt County.
Bath County coach Reed Fields plays guitar and sings in a bluegrass and country band.

Fleming County coach Bill Spencer lifts weights with son Chandler or enjoys watching cheerleading daughters Molly and Emma.
Turner, Fields and Spencer enjoy pastimes as wide-ranging as the Kentucky Horse Park. They also share one thing they’d rather not — they’ll be leading teams that slogged through a combined 10-22 record last year.
At 3-8, Fleming County had the toughest time, and 2013 marked the Panthers’ third sub-.500 season in the last four. Bath County went 3-7, giving the Wildcats their fourth losing season (they were 8-3 in 2012) since 2009 after 2008’s 8-3 and back-to-back 7-4 campaigns in 2006 and ’07.
Morgan County’s 4-7 a year ago followed 8-3 seasons in 2012 and ’11.
Ask Turner why he prefers four-legged animals to four-wheeled all-terrain vehicles, and he quotes Winston Churchill.
“(Churchill) said, ‘the outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man,’” Turner said.
Fields doesn’t have a lot of time for picking and singing (he plays with two friends as a two-guitars-and-keyboard trio called Highway 36 and the Bluegrass group Flat Creek).