Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2014 Daily Independent Prep Football Preview
All the strories from the Preview are located at:http://www.dailyindependent.com/sports/
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2014 2:00 pm
Aaron Snyder / The Independent
In 1986 in Hollywood, “Maverick” and “Goose” zig-zagged across the sky in fighter jets in “Top Gun.”
Last November in Raceland, a Maverick led to a goose egg.

Raceland’s Maverick Dixon flew all over the place as the pesky cornerback nabbed not one, not two, but three interceptions. The Rams stomped Ironton, 17-0, using it as a springboard for a historic postseason run.
Raceland’s imposing defensive backfield, three of them towering over most competition at 6-foot-4, 6-1 and 6 even, had become a danger zone for opposing quarterbacks.
———————
Dixon didn’t realize that his eight interceptions in 2013 fell one shy of matching Connor Messer’s nine in 2012, which is believed to be a single-season school mark.
“I didn’t even know he had nine ... I gotta outdo him, definitely,” Dixon said, half-jokingly.
Between the duo, Messer (6-4, 175) and Dixon (6-0, 170) have 26 career picks, including seven that they returned for touchdowns. Messer has 16 and five in those respective categories, Dixon 10 and two.
As Messer, Dixon and Josh Young encircled a “No Passing Zone” sign for The Independent’s 42nd annual preview issue cover shoot, Raceland wide receivers/defensive backs coach Gary Fannin ribbed Young about his zero interceptions.
Aaron Snyder / The Independent Fannin did so with tongue in cheek because, without Young (6-1, 196), Raceland may not have beaten Pikeville to punch a ticket into its program-first state semifinal appearance.
“Josh came in totally off the radar,” said Fannin, himself a former Ram wideout and defensive back. “By the end of the year, Josh was a shut-down corner. He took Pikeville’s best receiver totally out of the game.”
Electric athlete Cody Estep tallied just three catches for 14 yards as Young contained the speedy Panther at soggy Rams Stadium. The 14-3 victory hoisted Raceland into uncharted territory, and it also helped propel Young to All-Area status.
All seniors now, Messer, Dixon and Young are each aware of his role.
As the free safety, Messer roams amid the Raceland secondary, always on the prowl.
As cornerbacks, Dixon and Young have one word in mind: Guard. If their timing is off by one step, it could mean failure.
Trey Potter joins the trio after Rodney Vance decided not to return to the team for his senior season.
———————
When a quarterback scans the horizon for open receivers, he typically seeks out the weakest link.
Raceland doesn’t appear to have one because, by all accounts, Potter’s no pushover, either. The senior put a pick-six in his back pocket on a snag and 63-yard return against Paintsville last season.
Over the final six games prior to the Rams’ 34-7 loss to Williamsburg in a rowdy road environment, they gave up averages of 10.2 points and 92 passing yards per game. They tallied eight interceptions in the span, with Dixon accounting for six of them. Fannin described one, in particular, as a “game-changer” — a pick-six in a 36-14 rout of rival Fairview.
“I got my opportunity last year and ran with it,” Dixon said. “Honestly, I just got the right work ethic. I had a terrible work ethic before.”
Fannin happily paid witness to Dixon’s refreshing, radical change.
“Maverick will tell you, he drove me nuts for two years,” Fannin said. “He went from being one of our worst practice players to our best practice player. He goes hard, wins every sprint now. ... Something clicked. He decided he really wanted to play football and be good at it.”
Messer is good at just about everything from an athletic standpoint, it seems.
A Class A track and field state champion in three different events this past spring, he has collected several Division I scholarship offers for his track prowess. Among those are Louisville, Western Kentucky and South Carolina. Morehead State and Centre College have expressed interest for his football services.
“Just a super, super athlete,” said Rams head football coach Michael Salmons. “He’s an extremely confident, really gifted kid.”
Messer’s amassed 231 points scored, an uncanny number for three high school seasons.
Plenty of qualities separate Messer from most. Fannin compared him to former Raceland sports star Tyler Boyles.
“Connor Messer is as smart, as far as assignments, as Boyles. He’s just taller, bigger,” Fannin said. “When it comes to tackling, both are just so quick at getting there. So they’re very similar.
“(Messer) does things people can’t coach,” Fannin said. “People don’t realize how physical he is. If it’s one-on-one, there’s a great chance he’s going to get the kid on the ground.”
Extra weight-room reps and a clear size advantage set this secondary apart, Dixon said.
“Most of the time, we’re going to be more physical than the receivers we’re guarding,” he said.
Throughout early August, Dixon was saddled with the assignment of covering Messer in practice.
“He took great pride in trying to take him away, did a great job,” Fannin said.
Young attributes his personal improvement to playing alongside Messer and Dixon. He said so as he stood next to them prior to the team photo earlier this month.
“Not to sound cocky, but I don’t think you’ll find better DBs than these two,” Young said.
He didn’t forget Fannin, either.
“He’s made us who we are,” Young said. “If it wasn’t for him, I know I would be terrible.”
“Practices aren’t boring with coach Fannin,” Messer added. “He’ll still run stuff full-speed, himself.”
Once this season kicks into high gear on Friday, Messer and crew are cognizant of what it takes to break down the barrier to Bowling Green, the state finals site in December.
Messer recalled the locker room scene just before the Rams hit the stage in the regional final duel against Pikeville last November.
“Everybody started to get serious. We knew what our job was,” Messer said. “Our job was to start the game off right, come in, take control of it starting off, and keep control of it all game.”
Control it they did, and the Rams feel like they control their own destiny this season.
In terms of air traffic control, Raceland is cleared for takeoff.
For the second year in a row, Ashland returns only two starters on each side of the football.
The Tomcats overcame inexperience in 2013 to go 8-4, including a playoff win, during Tony Love’s first season as head coach.

Excited about playing at refurbished Putnam Stadium, Ashland again has high expectations despite another season with new faces all over the place.
“It’s kind of the same situation that we found ourselves in last year,” Love said. “We graduated almost all of the offense and defense. We’re starting from scratch again. That seems to be a recurring theme, especially on the line.”
Of course, the Tomcats are unlikely to get anybody’s sympathy. Especially with dynamic running back Quinton Baker and All-Area defender Drew O’Bryan back to lead the charge.
While those names are getting a lot of attention, Love’s message to his players is being selfless and pulling together.
“I really want them to think about team and selflessness,” said Love, who pointed to a positive example already set by one of his players.
“It hinges on a Tucker Schweickart being willing to make a sacrifice by moving from tight end,” Love said.
Ashland‘s biggest question mark is the offensive line after graduating all five starters.
“Tucker kind of saw a need and had a conversation with (offensive line coach) David Arthur about helping out there,” Love said.
The Tomcats could be off to the races if they find adequate blocking for explosive running backs Baker and Jake Long, plus returning quarterback Hunter Prince.
“When you have two guys that run 4.4 (40-yard dash), you want to get them the ball as much as possible,” Love said.
Baker, now midway through his high school career, has already rushed for more than 2,500 yards with 33 of his totes reaching the end zone.
The Independent’s 2013 All-Area Large School Co-Player of the Year averaged 146 yards per game as a junior — fourth-best in school history.
“I’m so excited for the new season,” Baker said during Ashland’s Media Day. “A lot of hard work is going to pay off when we hit the field Aug. 22. We have a lot of weapons this year.”
Long, a 6-foot-1 junior, played sparingly for the Tomcats late last season after transferring from Ironton. He and Baker battled each other in sprints during the spring track season.
“Jake brings a lot of speed,” Baker said. “His best asset is making people miss.”
Long is looking forward to his first full football season at Ashland.
“I love it here,” he said. “They made me feel at home ever since I came. During track, whoever won the 100 between me and Quinton got to run the last leg in the 4 x 100. In football, people can’t key on both of us.”
Opponents also have to be wary of Prince, a senior who ran for 400 yards and five touchdowns last season in his first year as a starter. Prince spent the offseason improving his passing.
“He’s a dual-threat quarterback and one of the fastest guys on the team,” said O’Bryan, who will also play tight end for the Tomcats this season.
Senior fullback Tyler Sutton can lead block as well as carry the ball. Leading wideout Trent Woods broke a finger during team camp, but has been telling Love he plans to be ready for Friday’s home opener against Newport Central Catholic — the defending Class 2A runner-up.
“Our passing scrimmages this summer, Trent really stepped up,” Love said. “I called him the Wes Welker of eastern Kentucky. He’s a good possession receiver with great hands.”
Wide receiver depth includes junior Brady Keeran and senior Brandon Caines. Long could also line up wide.
“From day one, we talk about the next man up,” Love said.
The coach described Ashland’s team camp in early August as “one of the more productive we’ve had.
“I feel we came out with a lot of answers,” Love said. “We still have puzzle pieces we’re trying to fit together.”
The Tomcats’ top seven offensive line candidates coming out of camp included Andrew Fisher, Grant Krueger, Clay Goble, Taylor Broughton, Schweickart, Kyle Cole and Christian Turner. All are juniors and seniors.
“I like the direction they are going,” Love said. “They are starting to jell as a unit. Everybody knows if you are going to run the football effectively, you better be good up front.”
Krueger, Broughton and Cox filled in on the line last season. Fisher (6-4, 275) is a senior who didn’t have much football background before joining the team last year.
“As far as technique, he’s really developed his strength and quickness,” Love said.
Fairview transfer Goble (6-0, 305) is expected to step in at center. Love said the junior’s footspeed has come a long way and the coach looks for him to own most of the team’s big-man weightlifting records before he’s done.
In past seasons, the Tomcats have benefited from seniors stepping up to fill voids, often making a difference in the team being successful.
“Christian Turner could be one of those guys, too,” Love said. “He’s a typical senior lineman like we’ve had before, who has worked extremely hard to change his body. He’s the type that shows every day of practice is important to help the team get better.”
Co-offensive coordinators Steve Dowdy and Chad Tackett have a year of experience together.
“Both have done a really good job with being creative with our personnel,” Love said. “They kind of set the table with what we want to do offensively.”
O’Bryan (6-3, 235) anchors the defense at middle linebacker after leading the team in tackles as a sophomore, despite missing time with a knee injury. He returned an interception for a touchdown and made 13 stops behind the line of scrimmage.
”Drew is the most instinctive linebacker I’ve had since I’ve been here,” said Love, whose coaching career at Ashland spans more than two decades. “He wasn’t even a linebacker to start last year. We had an injury and Drew was a talented sophomore. When we watched a pursuit drill he had a little something that showed passion.”
Chase Goble and Alex Fitch are expected to share time at the other inside linebacker spot. Caines and Cody Cline are the outside backers, with support from Sutton and Frank Thomas.
Dylan Blevins will man one of the defensive end positions, while Broughton and Schweickart are likely to rotate on the other side. Defensive linemen include Krueger, Jay Layne, Clay Goble, Cole and Tyler Stambaugh.
Love calls senior cornerback Shawn Gilliam an All-Area caliber player in a secondary that also includes Long, Josh Bradley and help from Baker.
“I  feel really good about us defensively,” Love said. “I don’t have anything I can put my finger on, but the group is athletic, extremely motivated and takes pride in getting to the ball.”
Alex Donolson will handle kickoffs, with Hunter Gullett taking care of PATs and field goals.
Overall, Love paints a bright picture of Ashland football down to the lower levels with participation numbers up and solid coaching in place.
“The constant talk around town is the stadium, how great it looks,” Love said. “When kids hear that, they want to be part of it.”
Rocky Stanley / The Independent John Gilliam anticipated an uphill climb in his first year as head coach at Boyd County.
He just didn’t realize it would be so steep. The Lions managed only one win last season while being outscored 443-142.

“I had done research. I knew it was going to be tough. I think, obviously, for the kids it was a major transition again,” said Gilliam, who became Boyd County’s third head coach in as many years. “New coach, new coach, new coach. Any time there’s a coaching change, it takes time to feel things out. The kids gave great effort. They had to adjust to not only a new coach, but a new system ... a new offense and a new defense.”
Though it didn’t reflect on the scoreboard, Gilliam feels like the program began to lay a foundation.
“We made some strides,” he said. “I plan on people seeing a different side of Boyd County football this season.”
It’s for sure they will be seeing the football in the air more frequently as the offense-starved Lions switch to a spread attack.
Gilliam concluded that change was necessary.
“I knew we had to do something different than we were doing,” the coach said. “We were 1-10 last year. Something’s got to work better.”
Gilliam is moving over to the offensive side as coordinator and will call the plays. The Lions are operating strictly out of the shotgun and deploying multiple receivers.
“Anybody that wants to break down our offensive film from last year might as well throw it out the window,” Gilliam said of the contrast. “We lined up some in the stack-I last year. Now, the only time we do it is with the scout team to show them what it looks like.”
The Lions want to spread the field and get the ball to their skill players in space with a combination of throwing and running.
“I think it will give us a better opportunity,” Gilliam said. “We would like to be able to pick up our scoring and put more pressure on our opponents.”
New starting quarterback Cade Isaacs, who played behind Billy McCoy, will be counted upon to run the offense efficiently and put the ball in the right places.
“Cade is a smart kid and a distribute-the-football kind of guy,” Gilliam said. “He doesn’t have the strongest arm, but does well with intermediate routes and knows where everybody is supposed to be lined up. He’s got kind of a knack for football.”
Along with McCoy, other top graduation losses included All-Area offensive lineman Jordan Smith and school career interception leader Jason Smith. But Gilliam said he thinks the Lions will be OK because several sophomores and juniors from last year “have blossomed a little bit.”
Boyd County’s second-year coach was encouraged by a comment this summer from a former area coach (now at Chesapeake) during a 7-on-7 passing scrimmage.
“He said, ‘This is probably the best group I’ve seen at Boyd County in a long time.’”
“Do we have the superstar player some other schools have?” Gilliam continued. “I don’t think so, but on average we have our share of good ones. I know we are more talented than last year from the skill positions.”
Zac Bruner and Jacob Bryan are projected to start in the slot positions, while Tanner Owens, Zane Purscelley and Tyler Blevins are the top outside receivers. All are seniors.
“I really think these kids can help us,” Gilliam said. “Tyler is deceptive in speed and has great hands.”
Sophomore running back Christian Braly has demonstrated an ability to make big plays.
“He’s got a little shake,” Gilliam said. “We threw a little flare pass on our first (scrimmage) play and he took it 40 yards. Last year, the first four times Christian touched the ball in freshman and JV games, he took it to the house.”
Braly, who is listed at 5-foot-9 and 163 pounds, also scored touchdowns on his first two varsity touches last season.
“I don’t know how much body fat he has, but if it’s more than 6 percent I would be shocked,” Gilliam said.
Jeremy Nelson a junior, is the Lions’ other I-back. Backup quarterback Tanner Edmonds may play a “Wildcat” role or help out in the slot.
Boyd County has experience on the offensive line in returning starters Evan Crum, Anthony Peterman, Seth Caudill and Taylor Campbell. The Lions are also looking for a boost from senior Austin Perdue (6-6, 321), who transferred back to the program from Fairview.
Boyd County has been awaiting word on the eligibility of athletic 6-4 senior Logen Thovson, a former Boyd County middle schooler who spent three years at Fairview including two as a starter.
On the defensive side, assistants Ryan Meenach and Clayton McClelland share coordinator duties.
Caudill, a third-year starter at linebacker, anchors the defensive unit. Peterman, Wilburn, Clayton Graham and Bruner make up the defense front. Several players are in the secondary mix.
Bruner doubles as the Lions’ punter and placekicker.
Overall, the Lions are looking for results after last year’s disappointment. Gilliam said he tells his players all the time, “Show me, don’t tell me.”
“I’ve used that phrase all the years I’ve been in football,” said the former longtime Morehead State assistant. “It’s probably more relevant these days than ever.”
Rocky Stanley / The Independent Former Russell football standout T.J. Maynard’s return to the school as Ivan McGlone’s successor was 20 coaching years in the making.
Looking back, he wouldn’t have it any other way.

From Greenup County assistant to the Musketeers’ all-time winningest coach. From another assistant stint at Raceland to guiding the Rams to their first region championship last season. Each step of the journey helped mold the one-time University of Kentucky lineman.
“Going away was really big,” he said. “I didn’t come back initially. I felt if I went out and established myself on my own, it would be worth it. I would be more ready to take over this program and coach.
“I’ve been very blessed to have been around a lot of knowledgeable guys,” said Maynard, who rattled off the names of (Kentucky’s) Jerry Claiborne and Bill Curry, (Greenup County’s) Bill Baldridge, Garry McPeek and Randy Vanderhoof.”
Maynard learned the spread offense that replaces Russell’s Wing-T from Vanderhoof, the former Raceland head coach.
“I’ve taken bits and pieces from everywhere I’ve been,” Maynard said.
Even small stuff, like a team popsicle break during the heat of a Russell preseason workout — something he picked up from Baldridge.
Russell’s new head coach is settling in nicely at his old school. Maynard, now 44, paused for a moment during Russell’s media day earlier this month.
“To come in and take over for coach McGlone is very special,” Maynard said of his former coach, one of only seven in Kentucky high school football history with more than 300 wins.
Maynard sees his challenge “not as much to start building something as to build upon what coach McGlone built.”
An obvious Maynard goal is for the Red Devils to get back to winning district championships, something that hasn’t happened since 2007.
“We want to be competing for the district every year and try to build on that,” Maynard said. “You think about all the region and state championships coach McGlone won.”
As for his own most recent head coaching success, Maynard guided Raceland to a 34-16 record over the past four seasons, highlighted by the program’s first region championship last year. Raceland reached the Class A semifinals for the first time.
Maynard started at Russell on April 1, getting a strength and conditioning program rolling. He said the team has made steady progress adapting to change.
“From the beginning of spring practice, we’ve come a million miles,” Maynard said. “That first day, if I had any hair I would have pulled it out. All we ask (of players) is that they get better every day.”
Former Russell standout Josh Wills is the only newcomer among Maynard’s assistants.
“Josh is a great addition,” Maynard said. “He’s very knowledgeable about the game and great with the young kids.
“One thing I learned at Raceland about getting former players involved with coaching, they know the tradition and standards. They are invested in the program.”
Earlier this month, Maynard introduced Red Devil players to team camp, a week of practices in which the players spent the nights on Russell’s campus.
“It was a great experience, aside from the kids being sore,” Maynard said. “They enjoyed the bonding time with teammates. Bonding is just as important as the physical part.”
On the Friday prior to team camp, coaches and players went to GattiLand and Blue Ribbon Lanes.
“We drafted players (for bowling),” Maynard said. “The kids had a really good time. You could see juniors and seniors high-fiving with freshmen.”
Overall, Russell players say camaraderie has made the team more unified and stronger.
“I’m more than optimistic, seeing how much we’ve come together,” senior captain Landon Arnold said. “We’re all brothers.”
Maynard has been pleased with how coaches and players have adapted to the open offense, which will use a lot of the same concepts Maynard brought over from Raceland. He likes the depth Russell has developed in practice.
“I feel there are eight or 10 linemen that we can play on a given night,” Maynard said. “Receiver-wise, we can go six deep without much drop-off, and I think probably five running backs.”
The Red Devils have a strong tandem of running backs in Nick Conley and Bronson Korzep, plus it shouldn’t take the team long to surpass last year’s 262 passing yards.
Junior Jacob McKee returns at quarterback, with senior Bobby May also competing for playing time.
“Both can make plays with their arm and feet,” said Maynard, who anticipates Russell using more sprint-outs than his Raceland team.
“Everything is in the shotgun. I Iike it a lot,” McKee said. “I’m very excited for the season. I think we have a really good chance to be good.”
Conley and Korzep combined to rush for more than 1,800 yards and 28 touchdowns last season.
“Bronson has been a beast in practice,” Maynard said. “He’s so physical. Nick just runs with so much purpose and authority. He’s fast and able to avoid hits. With those two, I think we have two that are special. They can make plays at the running back position and receiver.”
Providing depth will be Evan Ison, Spencer Cole, Maxx Blackburn, Andrew Hoback and Will Peterman.
Maynard has been impressed with several wide receivers during the preseason, particularly sophomores Landon Brewer and Austin Brinkman, along with 6-3 senior Garion Robinson.
“Landon has great hands to go with size and athletic ability,” Maynard said. “Austin is a really good athlete who can make a lot of plays. Garion stood out in the spring. If the ball was anywhere close, he caught it.”
Also in line for playing time at receiver are Jacob Martin, Keelan Rice, Jacob Howard and Bailey Brewer.
Up front, Logan Suman (6-2, 260) and Landon Arnold (5-9, 215) are locked in at the tackle spots. John Montanez (5-9, 280) will play center and some at guard, with Brandon Scott also working at center.
Others in the mix at guard include Mitch Redden, Timmy Hammond and Drew Mell. Looking for playing time at tackle are Conner Slone, Jacob Pierce, Jonah Smittle and Nick Pennington.
Defensively, the Red Devils’ linebacking trio will consist of Arnold in the middle, flanked by Korzep and Ison, a sophomore.
“Arnold really runs to the football,” Maynard said. “We moved Korzep from safety to weak-side linebacker. He can run and he’s very physical.”
Slone, Blackburn and Smittle are backups.
Suman is the team’s top defensive end, with the other starter to come from Mell, Pennington, Pierce and Scott.
Reeden, a 6-3, 300-pounder, is capable of dominating on the defensive front from his tackle position, according to Maynard. Sammy Smith (6-0, 350) is expected to provide plenty of help when he returns from a dislocated shoulder.
Hammond and Montanez will fill in at defensive tackle.
The secondary has plenty of options. Safety candidates include McKee, Conley, Brewer and Brinkman, while the cornerback positions are expected to be manned by a combination of Peterman, May, Cole and Howard.
Matthew Sparks / For The Independent The month of August and the start of a new season could not come soon enough for the Fairview Eagles.
After an offseason to forget, the Eagles can now concentrate on just one thing.

Football.
Self-imposed sanctions last October due to an ineligible player included vacating 18 wins, a fine and a four-year probation. In addition, the KHSAA banned the Eagles from postseason play last year. They’re eligible for the playoffs this season.
As far as the players and new head coach Fred Ray are concerned, it’s all in the rear-view mirror.
“They couldn’t wait to get out here and just worry about football,” Ray said of his team after their first practice. “That is what it’s all about at this point. They can worry about what goes on between the lines and everything else will take care of itself on the outside.”
The number of players have increased during the preseason and Ray believes his team has handled the transition well. The 39 players on the roster who have stuck around are looking to step out from under the dark cloud that’s been hovering over the program for the last 10 months.
It’s been an everyday grind, according to Ray, but his team is ready to start anew.
“We go out and take care of business on the practice field,” Ray said. “All we can do is coach the kids up to put the best product on the field and be ready to play each and every week.
Matthew Sparks / For The Independent “Getting used to change is not easy. We are progressing every day. The kids are picking up on our system and the way we do things in our program.”
Ray returns to the Fairview sideline after serving as an assistant from 2009-12. He was the starting quarterback at Ohio University in Athens, racking up more than 2,000 yards in total offense his last two seasons with the Bobcats.
Ray is hoping for some big offensive numbers from his signal caller. Alex Roy brings back experience to an offense that lost several starters from last year. He has been a starter since his freshman campaign. Roy completed nearly 50 percent of his passes in a run-oriented offense.
The junior is happy to see Ray back in Westwood.
“It’s great to have him back,” Roy said. “He has taught me a lot since freshman year in developing my skills to get me into college.”
Ray has seen a big change in Roy since his first stint with the Eagles. He has grown into his role as a quarterback and a leader for his team. Roy will see a bigger role in the new Eagles’ offense.
“From a physical standpoint, he is a lot bigger than when I was here two years ago,” Ray said. “He is knowledgeable about the game of football. He has been a very good leader in terms of how we want to run things structurally on the offensive side and I am expecting big things from him this year.”
Roy still has weapons at his disposal and he says his expectations have not changed one bit.
“We have a lot of starters returning who have a lot of skills,” Roy said. “We are used to winning here and we will keep that mindset. Everybody is adjusting well to the new offense that we are putting in. We are looking forward to getting started and get rolling.”
Roy will have some new players protecting him up front. Senior tackle Dan Metzler is the lone returning starter and will anchor the offensive line. He will be joined by seniors Mark Workman and Reno Oney. Junior center Brock King adds size along with Billy Davis.
The players in the trenches will be pivotal to the Eagles’ success because of the limited experience in the backfield. Rushers Kyle Sesher and Jonathan Ruggles will receive the majority of the handoffs this fall. Both players only had a handful of carries last year.
Fairview will have depth in its receiving corps of Blake Smith, Cody Gullett and Kyle Stormes.
“Surprisingly, people will realize we will be athletic and quick with our receivers,” Ray said. “We have some deceptive guys back there. We need to give them the opportunity to get the ball quick, get them out in space, and make some plays for us.”
The majority of offensive players will stay on the field for defense. Metzler will lead the defensive front with Smith, Stormes and Gullett in the secondary.
The Eagles will be tested early against Lawrence County and in road games with Bellevue and Class A power Hazard in September.
A staple matchup against archrival Raceland is also a game that every Eagles fan circles on the schedule.
“It’s always a big game (against Raceland),” Ray said. “Fortunately, we have them here and it’s always an exciting game.”
Ray calls Fairview “a truly awesome place.” His decision to come back came down to just one factor.
“It’s all about these kids,” Ray said. “In education you’re not teaching for yourself, you are teaching to help young men and women grow and be better people. And that’s why I want to be a football coach. That’s what I’m here for and that’s the reason I came back.”
Aaron Snyder / The Independent Another step up the ladder has Raceland reaching for the stars.
Fresh off the program’s first state final four showing, the Rams aren’t shying away from the lofty goal of a trip to Bowling Green.

First-year head coach Michael Salmons isn’t hiding his desires, either.
“These guys know what it takes to get to that level,” Salmons said. “They saw what transpired and how enjoying all that was. I feel like we’ve got the talent to get, at least, back in that same game. Obviously, that’s a long way off, but that’s what we’re headed for.”
Following the departure of former coach T.J. Maynard to Russell, Salmons went from offensive coordinator to head coach in March. A bruising Rams running back in the late 1990s, he’ll still call the offensive plays.
“It’s really not been any different,” said senior Greg Bowling of the transition.
Salmons attributes the seamless switch to keeping the coaching staff virtually intact. Former middle school football coach Seth Pack filled the only vacancy as an assistant, while 2009 Raceland graduate Robby Logan took over the middle school team. Mark Lewis, Gary Fannin and Scott Grizzle complete the staff.
Among the teams that could possibly stand in the Rams’ hopeful path are Williamsburg — which knocked them off in the 2013 semifinals — Pikeville, and district opponents Paintsville and Fairview. Most of those schools also have realistic shots at a state finals appearance.
Salmons said it’s no secret who Raceland’s key is.
Connor Messer, one of eight seniors, wears the tags of receiver, quarterback, safety, running back, punter, placekicker and kick/punt returner.
“Whatever you ask him to do, he can do,” Salmons said. “It’s difficult (to coach him) in a sense, because you can throw him the ball every play, or hand him the ball every play or line him up every play. We’ll try to move him around, and we’ll keep other guys involved, but there’s no question, when plays need to be made and the chips are down, that’s the guy who’s going to make the play for us.”
Josh Young fills the void created by the graduated Adam Elkins at starting quarterback. Elkins (18 TDs, 7 INTs in 2013) started the past three seasons.
“It’s a big step up,” Young said. “I’ve never had all that pressure on my shoulders. I just want to be able to manage the game and get us into the end zone.”
Maverick Dixon and Trey Potter join Messer as top targets for Young in a spread offense. Rodney Vance, the team’s second-leading receiver in 2013, elected to not play his senior year. Dixon and Potter combined for 13 grabs last season, while Messer racked up 34 catches, 722 yards and 10 touchdowns.
All-Area Small School Co-Player of the Year Daylin Beach (and his 1,607 total yards and 18 total TDs) is gone.
Salmons raved about the Rams’ three featured running backs, just stopping short of saying they won’t miss a beat without Beach.
“I  don’t know they can shoulder the load Daylin did, but hopefully they can share that load equally,” Salmons said. “We’re really high on these three running backs.”
Kane Snyder ran for 753 yards on 110 carries, Carson Christian 335 on 45 and Bailey Walker 124 on 17 in 2013.
“(Walker) is maybe pound-for-pound the strongest kid on the team,” Salmons said. “We’re really excited about his ability.”
Raceland’s offensive and defensive lines were massive, for a Class A school, and athletic last season.
Two-way player Isaac Wallace (6-foot, 311 pounds) carries starting experience back to the offensive front, as does center Lucas Bradley (5-11, 315).
“He’s been really dedicated,” Salmons said of Wallace, a sophomore guard. “Over the winter, he set a goal out and probably lost 35 pounds. He’s got game experience, and he’s been through some wars. That goes a long way.”
Bowling and senior Tanner Coffee figure to be O-line starters, while Caden Townsend, Reece Hall, Morgan Carmon and Jerome Hall are a few who, according to Salmons, are showing starting potential.
The same group, with the addition of junior Kyle Jamison, is gunning for D-line playing time.
Senior Christian Sargent, after missing last season due to medical reasons, is also making a push for a spot.
Junior Seth Holbrook returns as the team’s middle linebacker. Snyder, Walker and Nathaniel Davidson will be factors alongside Holbrook in a predominantly 4-3 defense.
Potter joins returning starters Messer (safety), Dixon (cornerback) and Young (corner) in the secondary, which could be the strongest facet of the team that carries 56 members on its roster.
The Rams’ defense improved immensely over the final weeks of their 11-3 campaign a year ago. It went seven straight games without allowing more than 14 points in any contest, including a shutout of Ironton, before Williamsburg piled up 34 points on Nov. 29.
While Raceland wasn’t completely satisfied with a state semifinal loss, the Rams couldn’t deny their happiness in reaching a never-before-seen mark in program lore.
Salmons said winning is “extremely contagious,” and he thinks this group has caught the fever.
“When older guys set the tone, younger guys are afraid not to follow,” he said.
Matthew Sparks / For The Independent After breaking a 24-game losing streak last fall, Greenup County has set its sights on a new goal: its first winning season since 2002.
Musketeers head coach Chris Mullins believes he has the depth and experience to do so.

“We really want that first winning season,” Mullins said. “We feel we have at least six wins on our schedule but the question is, can we go out and execute each week and get those six wins?”
The Musketeers made vast improvements last season after two winless campaigns. They achieved two victories and lost four games by less than a touchdown.
Mullins believes that it’s his best and most complete team during his four seasons with the Musketeers and his veterans are looking to take that next step.
“We have a great group of seniors, four-year players who have been through the tough times and they continue to have a great work ethic,” Mullins said. “They have a lot more confidence and they don’t want to accept anything other than winning. Their attitudes are contagious.”
With all the injuries Greenup County has endured, many of the younger players have already seen some game action, which has led to more competitive practices this year.
“Everyone comes to practice whether they are sick or injured and everybody wants to be out there competing,” Mullins said. “Because of the depth that we have had, it is pushing people to practice hard, to rehab better, and try and stay on the healthy side.”
The injury bug has followed the Musketeers this preseason. It is something that Mullins has gotten used to. But with more players at his disposal, it isn’t as big of a factor as in previous years.
Matthew Sparks / For The Independent “We have had these injuries, this is all I know,” Mullins said with a laugh. “Everybody has injuries. You can’t turn a program around until you have that depth to overcome those injuries and we haven’t been able to do that in the past.”
Returning from a knee injury is leading rusher Ryan Byrd. After tallying more than 1,000 yards in just six games, including a 447-yard outburst against West Carter, he tore his ACL last October.
“I am very pleased to have him back,” Mullins said. “He is a hard worker.”
Joining Byrd in the backfield will be senior Matt Lawson and sophomore Jake Wright who Mullins says might be the fastest guy on the team.
Lawson has led the team in touches the last three seasons.
“He is a warrior,” Mullins said. “He is a really tough kid. We hope he has a really good season. He deserves it. He has been one of the most important players on the team. He has been our workhorse.”
Back under center will be junior Jared Hunt. According to Mullins, it’s like having another coach on the field.
“Jared has turned into an extension of me,” Mullins said. “He does all the right things and he knows how to answer all my questions. He knows exactly what we are trying to do. He is able to come and tell what is happening on the field and we can make some adjustments during the game.”
Seniors Rusty Wells and tight end Kyle Cochran, who Mullins calls the heart of the team, will give Hunt some experienced targets in the passing game.
“He has one of the best hands on our team,” Mullins said of Cochran. “He is a beast.”
T.J. Quillen, a first-year senior, and sophomore Peyton Ailster will add depth at the position.
The offensive line has kept the Musketeers’ training staff busy in the past and the lack of depth again this year is a concern. Mullins hopes to keep his big front line on the field for an entire season.
Fourth-year player Chris Haney will start at center, along with senior Drew Johnston and junior Ethan Coldiron. Sophomore Dylan Craycraft filled in last season and is ready to assume a bigger role. Mason Scaggs and Jacob Hunt, Jared’s twin brother, are battling for the left tackle job.
“It takes a special player to push on a big body every play and not get a whole lot of recognition for it,” Mullins said. “We praise those guys as much as we can. We have experience and we will do what ever we can to keep them healthy.
“We averaged 4.6 yards a carry last year. We know our schemes can work and our backs can make plays.”
Mullins believes his defense will once again be the strong suit of his team with his linemen and entire secondary returning from last year. A big void was left with the graduation for All-Area linebacker Skylar Williams. Cochran will take over his spot.
Defensive ends Brad Marsh and Ailster are back. Marsh joined the National Guard over the summer and Mullins expects him to come back in excellent shape.
Lawson will see more reps on defense. Sophomores Caden Warnock and Parker Clarke will occupy the linebacker spots along with Cochran.
The entire secondary is banged up as Eli Skaggs, Cade Meenach, Riley Hamm and Wells are all battling injuries. Skaggs has a broken ankle and could miss another month. Greg Potter will fill in for him.
A new and positive atmosphere has engulfed the Musketeer program and Mullins is looking to instill a new message to his players.