Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Johnson Central 35 Ashland 7
Kayaker Wrote:Tomcatfan722000, I assume that you are still picking out the feathers from all that crow.Smile When you get the time come give us your outlook on the game and those mighty Tomcats.

Yeah that crow was delicious once again congrats to the eagles what a team as for the tomcats dont hang your head you just got beat take it personally and play with a attitiude the rest of the year and see if we can get back to paintsville its now our turn for revenge:thumpsup:
No doubt that Ashland has a very good team, but they just aren't on the same level as JC this year. For that matter, who has been?? I don't think that JC will have a close game until around the 3rd round of the playoffs if then (unless they suffer a key injury or just beat themselves). JC is a great team with both a great D and O. Grimm is beyond words. He is fast and tough. One thing I will point out is that JC's D deserves more recognition that it gets. With a great O, many people don't look too much to the D. But when you look at the points Ashland has scored against the opponents they have scored them against, you begin to see what JC's D can do.

Hats off to the Eagles and good luck. Don't forget to take it one game at a time and keep doing what you have been doing. It obviously works!!
Shawn Grimm has to be one of the best running backs to come out of this area in a long time. He's extremely tough to tackle. He's very fast and strong. Anyone know of any colleges talking to Shawn?
Shawn is just a junior. He's got the rest of this season and next to impress all the college scouts.
That's the scary part about it. JC may be even better next year....:yikes:
First off, I would like to personally congratulate the Johnson Central players on the victory. I knew they would come out on their homecoming and senior night full of energy, and they did just that. The Eagles wanted this win more than we did. Also I liked the great sportsmanship shown by both teams. These players have a great amount of respect for each other! :thumpsup:

Second, I will back up Tomcat68 on the PA and sound system. I didn't like hearing all the loud music and such playing when Ashland was in the huddle or about to run their offensive plays. That didn't go on when JC was about to run their plays. But, I will stop it at that, because (somehow) I don't think I even remember us getting more than one false start or offsides on offense, and the fact that JC played such an awesome game.

Third, I think Johnson Central is a top 10, top 5, maybe even a top 3 team in 3A. I haven't seen any of the others play so I can't judge which team goes where, but I honestly think that JC is at least a top 5 team.

Now as for the game, I'll start with the fact that Grimm looked impressive. He had around 300 yards, and I should also add that he is much improved from last year. Most of his yards in the game came from long runs. From what I remember, he had a 63, 75, and two 40+ yard runs in the game. I believe that 300 puts him at around 1700 yards, which is around what Ron Blume had last year. If he cracks 2,000 or more (with the way he's playing, I believe he will), that will be a feat.

I didn't pay too much attention to our defense the whole game, but I thought we played decent as a unit. The thing that REALLY hurt us was the fact that we allowed the long runs. Johnson Central played outstanding, but the one thing I noticed was that the Eagles didn't really get a consistent drive going on us. It seemed like they would either go 3 and out or get a long run.

Our offense looked terrible. I credit the JC defense for playing an outstanding game, but I also feel that in the first half our offensive line didn't block well. We played better in the second half and got a nice, clock-consuming drive going, but being down 21-0 already, it was too little, too late. I wonder even more about our passing game tonight. I believe we had 4-5 dropped passes, and what concerned me more was that we weren't able to get much time to throw the ball, despite the fact that a lot of the times we passed JC sent only four rushers. Matt Thomas has to learn that when he goes against a defense that played as well as JC did, he can't dance around like he did and expect to get yards. He has to hit the hole and get as many yards as he can, and I'm hoping he will take this game as a learning experience. Fields Davis and Josh Cordle didn't get a lot of carries, but I thought they hit the hole and ran the ball well.

That's about all I have to say about the game. As the score shows, we have some things we need to work on. Congrats again to Johnson Central and I wish you all the best of luck against Mason County. I hope we meet again in the 2nd round of the playoffs!
I didn't have a favorite in this game. But, I don't believe the PA system had any effect on the game whatsoever! I thought that it was what I would expect from a home field advantage. If you want to complain about a PA system, talk about Prestonsburg's. They provide public announcements throughout the game. Very irritating and distracting (probably even for the home team). But these things you can expect when you play on the road.
hoopster Wrote:Shawn is just a junior. He's got the rest of this season and next to impress all the college scouts.

Very impressive!! Since no one seems to be able to stop him this year, it isn't likely to change next year either. The kid should get a full ride somewhere!
My goodness enough is enough about the awesome PA and music at the NEST! What some do not understand is that JCHS does this each and every home game. Ashland was no exception. The only thing new was the loud HORN! Listen, there is no better atmosphere (that I have seen) better than the atmosphere at JCHS on football friday night! How can the Tomcat fans get on here and be mad at JCHS for the same things they do at Putnum! They have fireworks, cannon, and a loud horn! If they had the music and quotes they would use them as well. Get over it! There is no one present at the nest friday, who can say that the atmosphere at the nest wasn't electric!
Sounds like a bunch of whining to me..Way to SPANK Ashland when this was suppose to be a game to talk about. Well guess what..It is to the GOLDEN EAGLE NATION! Congrats Johnson Central on your massacre of Ashland!
OK2NV Wrote:It didn't seem like any of the Tomcats felt comfortable running in the MUDD!!! Heck the didn't look comfortable running period. You figure when a mad man like Tacket is running after ya, you had better get on your horse and get outta of the way.

On a serious note I really didn't think Thomas would get up after Tacket hit him early in the 1st half. Thats one tough cat. Thomas is a player and when JCHS face's him again he will be ready that I am sure of.

I do not think that Ashland believed that Central could hit as hard as some say. They came out aggressive, but after a few hits were more timid. The play that really comes to mind was a pass play where everyone was covered and the QB scrambled toward the Central sideline. I cannot remember if it was Tackett or Johnson that was closing in to make the tackle but the QB stepped out of bounds 7-8 yards before he got to the Central linebacker. Excellent decision young man. I have been watching high school football since 1973 and they are two of the best linebackers that I have seen play in this area.
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Sounds like a bunch of whining to me..Way to SPANK Ashland when this was suppose to be a game to talk about. Well guess what..It is to the GOLDEN EAGLE NATION! Congrats Johnson Central on your massacre of Ashland!
Yes!
OK2NV Wrote:There is no one present at the nest friday, who can say that the atmosphere at the nest wasn't electric!

:thumpsup:
Hats off to JC in this one. This appeared to me to be the same Ashland team that showed up in Prestonsburg several weeks back (that was supposed to be much more improved). Grimm played one heck of a game....again. The Eagle defense dominated from start to finish...again. I look for Region 3 to be coming to Paintsville in the 4th week of the playoffs to see who goes to the Pizza Box. As for the PA system, there were several times I about jumped out of my shoes from the sounds of that horn/Eagle...or whatever else it could be...lol. The announce is good, he shows enthusiasm from the home team...as comparing it to Pburg....well the Cats by far have the worst announcer in the area...but he's young and a student (I think just from the looks of him) so he will learn with time. Congrats Eagles on a job well done.
I personally cannot complani about the PA cause we unplugged the speaker in our corner of the stands but no i dont think that gave Ashland any problems i think it was more of a anticipation of the hits and the upcoming play they just didnt ever seem to get relaxed or feel comfortable and that is all to do with the JC defense Not the PA Congratulations eagles see you in the regional final
I said earlier Kasey Clark could be Mr.Football and he still is a great back however now Shaun Grimm Gets my vote as the best Back i've seen this year he is quick determined and is more versatile than clark i would wonder what would happen if JC used him as a split receiver more often and just had him all over the field he would cause mass chaos for any defense this is a very good athlete and hope the best for him in the future:thumpsup:
Jim Matney is the real deal.. He has totally rebuilt this program.. congrats
Jim Matney is earing that huge salary he gets, and rightfully so IMO.

Any team in EK that competes with Johnson Central is doing ok. I know it sucks for Ashland fans to realize there season is over come week 2 of the playoffs, but sometimes that is just the way it goes. JC is destined to take on the NK big boys of Highlands or CC. I will say this to JC. Take that smashmouth/ball control to Northern KY and make them stop the hardnosed mountain football. They probably will be up to the challenge, but the only way JC beat Highland/CC is to understand who they are, play intense football, and make them be tougher.

Ashland, get ready to pull out every trick in the book and do the best you can do. Come in with a good gameplan, commit to Thomas, and fight like hell!

Good job JC
LovetheBucs Wrote:Jim Matney is earing that huge salary he gets, and rightfully so IMO.

Any team in EK that competes with Johnson Central is doing ok. I know it sucks for Ashland fans to realize there season is over come week 2 of the playoffs, but sometimes that is just the way it goes. JC is destined to take on the NK big boys of Highlands or CC. I will say this to JC. Take that smashmouth/ball control to Northern KY and make them stop the hardnosed mountain football. They probably will be up to the challenge, but the only way JC beat Highland/CC is to understand who they are, play intense football, and make them be tougher.

Ashland, get ready to pull out every trick in the book and do the best you can do. Come in with a good gameplan, commit to Thomas, and fight like hell!

Good job JC

They will need to play a good game against Bell or Rock first.
I thought it would be a litlle closer but it wasnt Johnson Central is for real!
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:I said earlier Kasey Clark could be Mr.Football and he still is a great back however now Shaun Grimm Gets my vote as the best Back i've seen this year he is quick determined and is more versatile than clark i would wonder what would happen if JC used him as a split receiver more often and just had him all over the field he would cause mass chaos for any defense this is a very good athlete and hope the best for him in the future:thumpsup:

I just wanted to say thank you for all the nice things you've said about Shawn Grim. He is amazing to watch, isn't he? He's an even better person than player.
I will pass along your compliments to him.

Who knows maybe we will be seeing you again in a few weeks.
JCHSfootball Wrote:I just wanted to say thank you for all the nice things you've said about Shawn Grim. He is amazing to watch, isn't he? He's an even better person than player.
I will pass along your compliments to him.

Who knows maybe we will be seeing you again in a few weeks.

Agreed
:thumpsup:
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:I said earlier Kasey Clark could be Mr.Football and he still is a great back however now Shaun Grimm Gets my vote as the best Back i've seen this year he is quick determined and is more versatile than clark i would wonder what would happen if JC used him as a split receiver more often and just had him all over the field he would cause mass chaos for any defense this is a very good athlete and hope the best for him in the future:thumpsup:
grimm is good but if juan thomas can't win it I don't think he can either.
t-cat50 Wrote:grimm is good but if juan thomas can't win it I don't think he can either.

Or Arliss Beach for that matter. Grimm was just simply amazing. Ran extremely hard, and found the right seams to the endzone. Granted that was the only full game I've seen of Grimm as the feature back, even still, he's the best highschool running back I've seen since Arliss. Not too shabby to be in the talks with an NFL player.
Welcome to BlueGrassRivals

If you ever have any questions, problems, or comments, contact me at [email=tomcat6868@gmail.com]tomcat6868@gmail.com[/email] or via PM by clicking here [Image: http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/finalnewbanner3.png]
t-cat50 Wrote:grimm is good but if juan thomas can't win it I don't think he can either.

I do Not think Grimm will win the award his named wasnt mentioned enough as a preseason canidate however could the Ashland Game and the playoffs be a foundation for his 2007 Campaign kinda like kasey clark in the state title game last year
Tomcat68 Wrote:Or Arliss Beach for that matter. Grimm was just simply amazing. Ran extremely hard, and found the right seams to the endzone. Granted that was the only full game I've seen of Grimm as the feature back, even still, he's the best highschool running back I've seen since Arliss. Not too shabby to be in the talks with an NFL player.

Maybe you will know who won the award during Arliss's Senior Season
JC proved they're #1 in the district fairly easily from what i hear.... i see them playing ashland again in the second round in a some-what closer game, but JC still winning
Grim is definately a great back, but Clark is all around better. Grim's having a great season for sure, but his line and blockers do not get enough credit. They are better than they've ever been!
Once King Now Prince Wrote:Grim is definately a great back, but Clark is all around better. Grim's having a great season for sure, but his line and blockers do not get enough credit. They are better than they've ever been!

Im going to agree with you if you are saying that this is the best this line has been all season. They have progressed nicely as unit throughout the season and dont get the credit they deserve. But if you are implying that this is the best line that JC has ever had then I will have to disagree. Back in 1999, JC's offensive and defensive lines were huge and extremely strong. The O-line consisted of 6'4" Chris Chandler at Center, 6' Jeremy Murray and 6' Bennett Rouse at the gaurds, and 6'6" Jessee Peck and 6'2" Adam Collins. On the defensive side you had 6' Derrick Sublett at Nose and Peck and 6'5" Paul Webb at the D-Tackle positions. IMO, that may have been the most talented group of players that JC ever had but never could play together as a team until the playoffs that year when they were defeated 63-55 in overtime by Madison Central while losing 3 starting offensive lineman in that game alone.
Kayaker Wrote:Im going to agree with you if you are saying that this is the best this line has been all season. They have progressed nicely as unit throughout the season and dont get the credit they deserve. But if you are implying that this is the best line that JC has ever had then I will have to disagree. Back in 1999, JC's offensive and defensive lines were huge and extremely strong. The O-line consisted of 6'4" Chris Chandler at Center, 6' Jeremy Murray and 6' Bennett Rouse at the gaurds, and 6'6" Jessee Peck and 6'2" Adam Collins. On the defensive side you had 6' Derrick Sublett at Nose and Peck and 6'5" Paul Webb at the D-Tackle positions. IMO, that may have been the most talented group of players that JC ever had but never could play together as a team until the playoffs that year when they were defeated 63-55 in overtime by Madison Central while losing 3 starting offensive lineman in that game alone.
you forgot big blake johnson at FB 6'4 245lbs

I could be 1000 yrd rusher behind him.