Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Covington Catholic 80 Clay County 78 (KHSAA Sweet 16 1st RD)
SKINNYPIG Wrote:Hey we all have opinions. I'm not arguing here, just stating my opinion.

I firmly believe, for example; if a high school football player has the desire, is athletic enough and willing to work hard enough to get a football scholarship, playing basketball will not impeded that path. Same goes for the basketball player that plays football.

If he doesn't have the desire and the work ethic, it's all fun and games anyway.

It is my opinion that encouraging a kid to quit a sport he loves has no positive outcome.

I'm an old man and have talked to so many guys that regretted not playing a particular sport while in high school. I've also talked to a bunch that will regret quitting one for the rest of their lives...I'm one of em. I lettered in football, track and basketball. I didn't play basketball my sophomore and junior years...I regret it every da

Wes needs to do what Wes wants to do, if he does he'll be fine.

Amen Skinny pig you are Confusedmoke:
I don't think anyone on here is encouraging him to quit. Being from Clay I know how the politics work around here. Football coaches are the only ones who will try to get a kid to stop playing other sports and stick with football only. They tell these kids they are D1 athletes there while career and when they don't get offers they are left confused and without a college to go to. I agree it takes a different type of kid to put in the work to be the best they possibly can. Basketball may not hurt a great football player, but football has a different effect on basketball. You can't tell me a kid that is in the gym from August to November is gonna be the same as a kid that plays football and is in the gym less than a month before the first game.
If I were an administrator in a school system, and I caught wind and could prove that any coach was trying to persuade a kid to choose his sport over another his arse would be terminated so quick he wouldn't know what hit him. The choice of which sport to play should be the decision of the child and his parents, Period.
#1anddone Wrote:I don't think anyone on here is encouraging him to quit. Being from Clay I know how the politics work around here. Football coaches are the only ones who will try to get a kid to stop playing other sports and stick with football only. They tell these kids they are D1 athletes there while career and when they don't get offers they are left confused and without a college to go to. I agree it takes a different type of kid to put in the work to be the best they possibly can. Basketball may not hurt a great football player, but football has a different effect on basketball. You can't tell me a kid that is in the gym from August to November is gonna be the same as a kid that plays football and is in the gym less than a month before the first game.

In my opinion, the bolded comment in your post ends our discussion.
What's that supposed to mean? Truth hurts sometimes. Several kids who were playing both sports didn't play basketball this year. They could have helped the team to. Carr brings so much energy to the game he would have had an impact on this years team. I wish all kids the best, but people in charge of these teams need to start being realistic with there players.
Oldtiger Wrote:If I were an administrator in a school system, and I caught wind and could prove that any coach was trying to persuade a kid to choose his sport over another his arse would be terminated so quick he wouldn't know what hit him. The choice of which sport to play should be the decision of the child and his parents, Period.

Not a bad idea Old Tiger and I have made almost the same comment before. One problem, you can't terminate someone's job based on "catching wind". A lot of these kids will say anything if things don't go their way. Most of the adults are clueless clowns just stirring the pot due to their own shortcomings. Some of the stuff grown men have told me blows my mind, knowing they have no idea what they're talking about. I just shake my head.

There's something a bit confusing to me. We have some people talking about how the football staff won't let football players play basketball. Correct me if I'm wrong but, I recall several football players playing basketball over the last several years. Now, are there "football players" that play football, or are they all "basketball players" that play football?

Think about it...this is a foolish conversation.
There is always exceptions. I didn't say every player didn't play basketball that plays football. I agree with you about the coaches being terminated. It is foolish for someone to try to persuade a kid one way or the other. It happens though and nothing will ever be done about it. Administration in Clay County is a joke in itself, but that's for another conversation. I think we have all made good points. I hope every kid earns a scholarship in what ever sport they choose or both if that is possible. I'm looking forward to next season. I guess we all need something to talk about until football season.......or is it basketball season. I guess which ever one the kid chooses to play. LOL
I think we should all just get along! Support the teams, the players, the administration, and each other. Let's all sing Kumbaya!
#1anddone Wrote:I don't think anyone on here is encouraging him to quit. Being from Clay I know how the politics work around here. Football coaches are the only ones who will try to get a kid to stop playing other sports and stick with football only. They tell these kids they are D1 athletes there while career and when they don't get offers they are left confused and without a college to go to. I agree it takes a different type of kid to put in the work to be the best they possibly can. Basketball may not hurt a great football player, but football has a different effect on basketball. You can't tell me a kid that is in the gym from August to November is gonna be the same as a kid that plays football and is in the gym less than a month before the first game.
I think by one and done , you mean you dropped out after one year because you are an idiot. We need a moderator to close this thread. It started out as a BB thread and now it's a bashing of our football coaches.
The truth hurts sometimes but oneanddone is right on everything he has spoken. :notworthy
hahaha No drop out here buddy. Couple college degrees and a pretty good job. I seem to be doing pretty good for myself. I'm making just a little more than a high school football coach.
#1anddone Wrote:hahaha No drop out here buddy. Couple college degrees and a pretty good job. I seem to be doing pretty good for myself. I'm making just a little more than a high school football coach.
Yeah right.:biglmao:
Keep it on topic.
This is about the Cov Cath/Clay game.
BIG TONY Wrote:I think by one and done , you mean you dropped out after one year because you are an idiot. We need a moderator to close this thread. It started out as a BB thread and now it's a bashing of our football coaches.

Nobody said anything about the coaches until u and ur boy started your junk on PM's. You know I thought ur boy would have been a good hire but I guess the apple Dont fall far from the tree. Have a good day old man.
Sorry gut I just seen it.
BrokenArrow Wrote:Nobody said anything about the coaches until u and ur boy started your junk on PM's. You know I thought ur boy would have been a good hire but I guess the apple Dont fall far from the tree. Have a good day old man.
May God bless you son. I hope everything always works out for you. You seem like such a fine person.
BIG TONY Wrote:May God bless you son. I hope everything always works out for you. You seem like such a fine person.

Same to you. Love u man!!!
BrokenArrow Wrote:Same to you. Love u man!!!
May God bless you son. You seem like a fine such a fine young man.