Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Covington Catholic 80 Clay County 78 (KHSAA Sweet 16 1st RD)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Final

Cov Cath will play Bardstown in the quarter-finals tomorrow night
Heck of a game.
I guess Clay is ever bit as good as any other team.
McDaniel actually made 1/3 with 4.9 secs to play that would have made it a one point game, Cov Cath makes 2 FT's to make it 80-75, McDaniel hits a 3 at the buzzer to make it 80-78
Congratulations Cov Cath and good season clay co see y'all next year. :HitWall:
Clay County earned a lot of respect. I'm strictly for CovCath but Clay County deserved a better outcome.
Great effort and season by the Tigers. Thanks for the respect guys and gals.
First I would like to congratulate cov-cath. On the win and a well played game. I thought both teams played well and deserved to advance. I think the turning point in this game is when Smith got in foul trouble in the 3rd. Ruthsatz is the best I've seen all year at drawing fouls. He is also the real deal, heck of a player. Also it absolutely amazed me at how well they shot the 3. Every kid on the floor was knocking them down. That being said the Clay county kids have nothing to hang their head about. The future is bright with Smith, Farmer , and Wolfe. These kids should be back to rupp the next 2 years. And should make a run at a title. Best wishes to chip at UK great game to go out on.:Clap:
Congrats CovCath and best wishes to Clay County. Ruthsatz doesn't get the credit throughout the state because of his size. No doubt about it, he is the best point guard in NKY. If he were 6'3 there would be talk of Mr Basketball. He's smart and doesn't make mistakes, he's the reason they win. Good luck to him at Div 2 Findlay College.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I guess Clay is ever bit as good as any other team.

I will say that they are better than I anticipated.
Ruthsatz is going to have a lot of trouble with his size and not a lot of athleticism. He will have to have a lot of good help around him and will be a defensive liability at even D2 level. Not saying he isn't a good player, he is just your prototypical coach's son and his Dad isn't going to be calling his number in college. Hats off to both teams for a great game. 2 of the officials called a sorry game, but I won't blame them for the loss. The teams were pretty even and Cov Cath just made a few more plays. Thank you Jake Allen for becoming a Tiger. I wish we would have done it 4 years ago. If this is Chip's last one as indicated, its been a heck of a ride for that young man. He put on a show last night, just came up short. Trey Farmer will be preseason #1 player in the region. If Trey will focus on his body and the game he can be special. Blake, Wes and House are all going to help lead Clay back to Rupp. Congrats Tigers on a great season. Lets cheer for Cov Cath to win it all now.
Great game. Clay co represented 13th region well.
EKYBubbaWatson Wrote:Ruthsatz is going to have a lot of trouble with his size and not a lot of athleticism. He will have to have a lot of good help around him and will be a defensive liability at even D2 level. Not saying he isn't a good player, he is just your prototypical coach's son and his Dad isn't going to be calling his number in college. Hats off to both teams for a great game. 2 of the officials called a sorry game, but I won't blame them for the loss. The teams were pretty even and Cov Cath just made a few more plays. Thank you Jake Allen for becoming a Tiger. I wish we would have done it 4 years ago. If this is Chip's last one as indicated, its been a heck of a ride for that young man. He put on a show last night, just came up short. Trey Farmer will be preseason #1 player in the region. If Trey will focus on his body and the game he can be special. Blake, Wes and House are all going to help lead Clay back to Rupp. Congrats Tigers on a great season. Lets cheer for Cov Cath to win it all now.

Patrick Sparks seemed to do ok in the SEC. Ruthsatz is every bit as athletic as he was in high school. Don't underestimate a player's ability to dictate pace and outthink the opposition. The kids is incredibly crafty, to the point that, as a NewCath fan, I couldn't stand him. He buys calls, initiates contact, flops....he's also an incredible leader and I'd take him on my team any day of the week.
I don't see how you could watch this game and say he is not athletic. The kid is super smart and quick as lightning. I do feel his size will hurt him in college, but as smart as he is he will make a great point guard. Everybody that goes to college to play basketball doesn't have to score 30 points a game to be a good player. It was a great game to watch and I feel like Clay proved they will be a contender for the next couple of years.
Sparks was also 6'1, not 5'8-9. He is an extremely smart player. I was telling someone yesterday in the right system he could play. I think he will he a starter at the next level, but he will always be a defensive liability. If you give him space yes he has a burst. But he isn't going to have that space when a 6'3-4 guard is looking him in the eye. Not saying he isn't good at all!! He deserves to be an All State selection, fine player. But he isn't in Sparks league, not near the shooter or size. Athleticism is very similar to his. I hope Cov Cath wins it all.
EKYBubbaWatson Wrote:Sparks was also 6'1, not 5'8-9. He is an extremely smart player. I was telling someone yesterday in the right system he could play. I think he will he a starter at the next level, but he will always be a defensive liability. If you give him space yes he has a burst. But he isn't going to have that space when a 6'3-4 guard is looking him in the eye. Not saying he isn't good at all!! He deserves to be an All State selection, fine player. But he isn't in Sparks league, not near the shooter or size. Athleticism is very similar to his. I hope Cov Cath wins it all.

I am a die hard Clay fan and IMO Ruthsatz is the best player we have faced all year. Jackson Countys Jordan Fox not far behind, but Ruthsatz can shoot it from 25 feet as good as anyone ive seen. That being said if the refs would have allowed a little more physical game, Ruthsatz would have had trouble with Smith, He couldn't beat him off dribble and had to depend on multiple screens to break free. Im not complaining about the refs they called a decent game. Clay got beat. However after watching all the teams at the state this year Clay is in good shape moving forward. There 3 sophmores are as good as any in the state, and you will see Blake Smith and Trey Farmer explode next year. I hope Cov-Cath wins it all as well. And I hope Clay has earned some respect from the city.:Thumbs:
EKYBubbaWatson Wrote:Trey Farmer will be preseason #1 player in the region. If Trey will focus on his body and the game he can be special. Blake, Wes and House are all going to help lead Clay back to Rupp. Congrats Tigers on a great season. Lets cheer for Cov Cath to win it all now.

I usually agree with you, especially more than the other Clay fans. I don't see Farmer being No. 1 in the region next year. I don't think he's ahead of Smith, not to mention Baxter, Barger, Collier, Broughton and Marsee. You also have Wolfe, Caldwell and some others who could be in the top 10.
clay played neck to neck to one of the best teams in the state.......great season tigers and can't wait for next year (could be a very special year) b/c we got plenty of talent coming back!
Ruthsatz can play, he is a very smart player who knows what to do and when to do it. I agree with Arrow, he may be the best player we've faced all year. His size will be a liability at the next level but for high school he is every bit as advertised. That team can really shoot the ball. Blake Smith going down really hurt Clay as well as being up 9 in the 3rd with back to back missed opportunities to extend. Nevertheless, congrats to Cov Cath. Clay had a great season and you're still the best team in your area once again.

If Trey puts a little work in in the offseason and focus some on defense, y'all be fooling yourself not to put him in the top 3 preseason. As well as the Tigers will be no lower than 1-2. They return Wolfe, Smith, and House as well. Sexton and Sams have seen some minutes. Just thank your lucky stars McDaniel is leaving or you have a top 10 team on your hands.
I thought you had Farmer as No. 1 instead of Bubba. I looked at it wrong.

I'd guess it will be 1. KC and 2. Clay going into the season. The next nine teams are pretty equal.
The player ranking will probably be 1. Baxter, 2. Barger, 3. Collier or Broughton
Clay County Tigers and Coach Marcum represented the 13th region well at Rupp.
Hope to see McDaniel back in Clay's line up next season.

Go Big Clay!
First off I'm a Clay fan. But, if you don't think that Ruthsatz was the most dominant player on the floor last night, then you are wrong. He is plenty quick but what makes him special is his ball handling ability. When you are just about as quick/fast while dribbling the ball as you are without it you are special and that's what made him so good. There was no indecisiveness with him either. When he went, he went and he went hard. The definition of a great player is when you make the others around you better and that was definitely the case with him. If you take him off that team I think Clay wins by 20+. I'm also not sure Smith is better than Farmer. Yes, Smith is more athletic, jumps higher, etc. but that doesn't always equal a better basketball player.
HDE Wrote:I usually agree with you, especially more than the other Clay fans. I don't see Farmer being No. 1 in the region next year. I don't think he's ahead of Smith, not to mention Baxter, Barger, Collier, Broughton and Marsee. You also have Wolfe, Caldwell and some others who could be in the top 10.

I agree that Farmer is not #1 but i think he is in the top 5, and i would put Smith in the top 5 as well. There will be an argument whose is the best and it all depends on personal perference. If you like defense and effort then its Smith if you like instant offense then its Farmer. But i think you will see a major differnce in both next year, Smith should handle the point and have alot more touches next year. Its apples and oranges. As far as Collier and Broughton, they are overrated Broughton cannot score on Smith and Collier is soft as cotton
IMO Smith is more team oriented, better ball handler where Farmer is more about personal stats better shooter. Wolfe would do himself a great favor by quitting fball and refining his skills on the court or going to a school with a better fball program. I think that Smiths game and work ethic translates to the next level best of the three. With these three returning CC has to favored to return to Rupp next year. Congrats to Cov Cath Confusedinglepar
I still think Smith is going to take off this summer heading into next season. The kid has all the physical tools if he were a little thicker but that comes with working out. He needs to refine his shot a little because now he will probably be handling the point position. Farmer is instant offense and should be no lower than 3 IMO. I agree with Arrow that people are WAY to high in Broughton. I'm not saying the kid can't play but this D1 talk is ridiculous (for now). Clay's "Big 3" heading into next season should all be in the top 6-7 players in the region.
Count Wrote:IMO Smith is more team oriented, better ball handler where Farmer is more about personal stats better shooter. Wolfe would do himself a great favor by quitting fball and refining his skills on the court or going to a school with a better fball program. I think that Smiths game and work ethic translates to the next level best of the three. With these three returning CC has to favored to return to Rupp next year. Congrats to Cov Cath Confusedinglepar

I agree Count with Smith and Farmer but wouldn't you say football has helped Wolfe some physically? Or is it about that time to pick one or the other? I personally think unless you're really really good at both you need to pick one also by the time you're a junior. He's a solid football player but I agree his future may be hoops.
UKCC Wrote:I agree Count with Smith and Farmer but wouldn't you say football has helped Wolfe some physically? Or is it about that time to pick one or the other? I personally think unless you're really really good at both you need to pick one also by the time you're a junior. He's a solid football player but I agree his future may be hoops.

Fball has helped with his physicality but he really needs a full summer of fundamentals. You r right. It's time he chooses.
Future in hoops, and he's a 6-1 forward?
That sounds more like a college football receiver to me.
Playing two sports is OK in high school. It didn't hurt McDaniel.
HDE Wrote:Future in hoops, and he's a 6-1 forward?

He is a great receiver, but at CC he will never get the exposer he deserves on the field. That's why I say concentrate on bball or transfer. I love the kid a wish nothing but the best for him. We may need to start our own thread to discuss CC and the 13th next season.
HDE Wrote:Future in hoops, and he's a 6-1 forward?
Playing two sports is OK in high school. It didn't hurt McDaniel.

He's actually pushing 6'3" but I know what you mean.
Pages: 1 2 3