Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USA Today Poll - Phillip Haywood
Do you also agree that coach Haywood has had way less numbers and div1 players to work with in a much less populated area???:eyeroll:
Do-double-gg Wrote:Do you also agree that coach Haywood has had way less numbers and div1 players to work with in a much less populated area???:eyeroll:

Pike County is by no means small, and when you through the entire western border of WV it gets bigger. Haywood has benefited mightily from kids crossing the border. I would go so far as to say that the majority of the better players in Belfry history are from WV, so lets not pretend that Haywood is doing it with kids born and raised in the Belfry school district.

Just sayin......
HSFOOTBALL Wrote:Pike County is by no means small, and when you through the entire western border of WV it gets bigger. Haywood has benefited mightily from kids crossing the border. I would go so far as to say that the majority of the better players in Belfry history are from WV, so lets not pretend that Haywood is doing it with kids born and raised in the Belfry school district.

Just sayin......

Born.. you have a point

Raised... you quickly lost it

Belfry has had numerous kids who have came across from WV over the years..there is no denying that...but the vast majority of those kids came to Pike County schools at very early ages and grew up attending school in the Belfry District.

David Jones is the only kid I remember transferring to Belfry during his High School Career from West Virginia. It's just if you ask people they think Belfry has 3-4 guys every year who do that since Jones was such a dominant player.
HSFOOTBALL Wrote:Pike County is by no means small, and when you through the entire western border of WV it gets bigger. Haywood has benefited mightily from kids crossing the border. I would go so far as to say that the majority of the better players in Belfry history are from WV, so lets not pretend that Haywood is doing it with kids born and raised in the Belfry school district.

Just sayin......
Pike Co is pretty big geographically, but they also have several high schools and Belfry's district is only a small part of the county. When Coach Haywood came to Belfry, there were 10 high schools in Pike County. Over the years, consolidation has reduced that number to 6 high schools, which is quite a bit of division even for a large county.

Belfry has just under 700 students, no where near one of the bigger schools represented on the list.

Keep in mind too that Belfry is not a city. It is an unincorporated community without any municipal government, no police force, no city hall, etc. Williamson WV is our town, has been for decades. You can sit in Belfry's stadium and look at WV. The point I am making is even though some kids who live in WV have attended Belfry schools, it is a natural thing because of the closeness in proximity of our community to theirs. It really is like one town with the Tug Fork river running through it. There really isn't much separation between Williamson WV and South Williamson KY (where Belfry H.S. is located) as nearly everyone crosses that river daily for various reasons.

I'm not being argumentative at all, as you make some good points. I am simply attempting to give some perspective to it.
The Hatfields vs McCoys!
bump...go vote!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just sayin......

Matewan, wv is .5 square miles, population 480. Williamson, wv is a mile from BHS and also a small town. I was born and raised in the belfry area and these are the 2 closest towns to me. Its not like having a city full of great athletes to choose from. Its a very small community (like someone else said) with a river running through it. If he can do it here Coach Haywood could go anywhere and be competitive EVERY YEAR ...for 30 years.
Out of 52,615 votes cast Coach Haywood has 21,123 (40.146%) and Coach McGlone has 20,811 (39.553%)

Those two guys have 79.699% of the total votes

I have the utmost respect for both of them and what they have accomplished so at this point, I would be happy which ever way the vote turns out. Both are obviously loved by their fans.
Coach McGlone's votes have been skyrocketing during the day and Coach Haywood's has been catching back up at night. Same story the last 2 or 3 days.
I sent my vote in for Haywood. He deserves it.