Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fairview this year
Wow, I couldn't believe it til I counted it twice. Our schedule has 4 more wins even with one team not having any record. So basically nine teams vs ten.
About the scheduling, I will say a few things. Number one, Fairview's last couple undefeated regular seasons have came at the expense of beating some really bad teams. Their only real quality wins were over Raceland really. But football in our area as a whole has been down for quite sometime. I will be interested to see how things go for them this year after playing a much, much, much tougher schedule this year. There are other teams in the area they could have played, ie Russell, Ashland, Ironton, or even making a stretch out to Johnson Central. But for one reason or another, they didnt.

With all of that said, last year it didnt seem to make any difference who they played until they met Mayfield. BUT, imo, Mayfield probably had one of the top 10 teams in the entire state last year. Sometimes strength of schedule makes a big difference, sometimes it doesnt. One thing is for sure, even if they play a lower end team, if u go to play at Fairview, they put on a playoff atmosphere introduction. A little far if u ask me. But they have all started "Believing in the WOod"...which i was certain that "the wood" rested on top of a hill in northern, ky. But what do i know.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:About the scheduling, I will say a few things. Number one, Fairview's last couple undefeated regular seasons have came at the expense of beating some really bad teams. Their only real quality wins were over Raceland really. But football in our area as a whole has been down for quite sometime. I will be interested to see how things go for them this year after playing a much, much, much tougher schedule this year. There are other teams in the area they could have played, ie Russell, Ashland, Ironton, or even making a stretch out to Johnson Central. But for one reason or another, they didnt.

With all of that said, last year it didnt seem to make any difference who they played until they met Mayfield. BUT, imo, Mayfield probably had one of the top 10 teams in the entire state last year. Sometimes strength of schedule makes a big difference, sometimes it doesnt. One thing is for sure, even if they play a lower end team, if u go to play at Fairview, they put on a playoff atmosphere introduction. A little far if u ask me. But they have all started "Believing in the WOod"...which i was certain that "the wood" rested on top of a hill in northern, ky. But what do i know.

Fairview did try to schedule Russell , & Ashland , the reason why it never came about was because both schools wanted multi year contracts which was fine but they both refused to play at Fairview . They both wanted to play every year at there home , & Fairview agreed to play but only if it was a fair play home , & away but both schools refused thus Fairview refused to play on the road every yr . As far as Raceland playing Ironton i dont hear anybody talking about how this is to be one of Raceland's best teams while Ironton is expecting one of their worst teams .
In all fairness, I have done some research on every 1a schools schedule, with the exception of Fulton Co because all they have turned in is their district schedule. I check all the teams schedules and rank them by a power rating based upon the size of schools they play. The way this works is if you are 1a, which we all are, and you play a 2a team then you get a +1 for that game. I thought that I would see Mayfield having the largest power rating due to the brutal schedule that they have put together again this year. I found Mayfield to have a +20 rating. I was really surprised to see that it wasn't this wasn't the case, as is the usual year in and year out. It was Raceland. The Rams schedule showed a +22 rating. Now, bear in mind, this schedule does not take into account last years opponents records or preseason ratings, so this is just based upon how much above their head these teams play. In case you are wondering Fairview has a +14 schedule rating.
mysonis55 Wrote:In all fairness, I have done some research on every 1a schools schedule, with the exception of Fulton Co because all they have turned in is their district schedule. I check all the teams schedules and rank them by a power rating based upon the size of schools they play. The way this works is if you are 1a, which we all are, and you play a 2a team then you get a +1 for that game. I thought that I would see Mayfield having the largest power rating due to the brutal schedule that they have put together again this year. I found Mayfield to have a +20 rating. I was really surprised to see that it wasn't this wasn't the case, as is the usual year in and year out. It was Raceland. The Rams schedule showed a +22 rating. Now, bear in mind, this schedule does not take into account last years opponents records or preseason ratings, so this is just based upon how much above their head these teams play. In case you are wondering Fairview has a +14 schedule rating.

So basically what you are saying is if a 1a school plays a schedule full of 4a teams that lets say havent one a game in 2 or 3 seasons it would have a higher rating over a 1a school thar played a schedule full of 1a teams that went 9-1 because just the size? Not meaning to be sarcastic here just really curious how that works?
That's just one part of what I use evaluate the teams. Believe it or not it is very helpful. That, the records of the teams each played and the offensive style that Fairview ran is what led me to believe that the Cards would win state over the Eagles going away last year. A 5-5 4a team is usually tougher than a 7-3 2a team. It comes from depth at each position vs iron man football of the smaller school.
Mayfield was 2nd best team I saw last year besides trinity so they have great program yes but I've seen plenty of run only teams win state titles and pass teams win state titles doesn't matter. It's about the players and the execution