Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands District
Put Highlands in 6A with Trinity..... just a thought!
sstack Wrote:My friends son plays for Pendleton Co. and it is not that they don't care, He says it is because none of the fathers played football and so there is no tradition. The kids grow up and are not pushed to play football, unlike a school like HHS where kids are born with a football in their hands. I would say it is more lack of interest from parents and kids. And it is hard to start interest when your school gets pounded every week.
Maybe Coach and AD need to think outside of the box. Possibly get players involved in
helping community programs.... Make it bigger than football! You look at any College
application (or recruiting questionaire) and there is a big emphasis on what a kid has
done to help their community or supporting charitable organizations. There is even a
ton of scholarships around it. Play for the fun of it; work at it to be a better person
and athlete!

You know if you can get a couple kids recruited and make a big deal out of it, mentality
may change.... My 2 cents for what it's worth!
a
Wideleft01 Wrote:Do your homework. It's never been about even. Highlands owns the series. Covcath does have a few wins, including the fluke mudbowl in 1997 against a vastly superior Highlands team.

CCH State Championships 1987 1988 1993 1994 1997
Highlands State Championships 1981 1982 1989 1992 1996 1998 1999
So from 1980-1999, HHS 7 Championships, CCH 5 Championships.
Seems about even to me over that span.
NKY Fan Wrote:CCH State Championships 1987 1988 1993 1994 1997
Highlands State Championships 1981 1982 1989 1992 1996 1998 1999
So from 1980-1999, HHS 7 Championships, CCH 5 Championships.
Seems about even to me over that span.

That was the time when the CCH-HHS rivalry was so much fun.
^
As a fan of either of those schools, id rather it be that way then winning in blowouts every year.
NKY Fan Wrote:Why should Highlands and Cov Cath have to meet in the final? Neither team wants a scheduled designed to delay their game. What does it really matter when the play. The winner will advance and the looser goes home. Since 2006, it has been Highlands moving on. The 20 or so years prior to that I think it was about even who moved on.

Actually for the immediate years prior to 2006 (i.e., 1995-2005) Highlands went 15-2 against CovCath (one of those losses was the 1997 mudbowl and Highlands split 2 games with CovCath both the years they lost to CovCath (i.e., so Highlands beat CovCath at least once every year during that period). During that period Highlands had 5 state championships and 2 runner ups as compared to 1 state championship (1997) and no runner up finishes for Cov.Cath. In the six years since 2006 Highlands is 8-0 v. CovCath with 5 state championships and this year's championship of course yet to be determined. Essentially, that has been the Dale Mueller era at Highlands. He lost his first 2 games against CovCath in 1994 and gone 23-4 against them since (including the 2 losses in 2006). So Highlands has beaten CovCath at least one time every year since 1994 except for 2006. As you pointed out CovCath and Highlands had about an even run the 15 years before that but for the past 18 years (i.e., the lifetime of a current high school senior) it has been very one-sided for Highlands.
Per the Highlands Football website, through 2011, Highlands is 41 versus Covington Catholic 17 with Highlands having a winning percentage of 70.7% versus the Colonels.

Irrespective of this, I for one would like to see more competition in the district than at present. I remember when I was in school in the early 1980s, there was greater parity including hard fought games against Newport Catholic and Conner eliminating Highlands from the payoffs my senior year.
Frozenbird Wrote:Per the Highlands Football website, through 2011, Highlands is 41 versus Covington Catholic 17 with Highlands having a winning percentage of 70.7% versus the Colonels.

Irrespective of this, I for one would like to see more competition in the district than at present. I remember when I was in school in the early 1980s, there was greater parity including hard fought games against Newport Catholic and Conner eliminating Highlands from the payoffs my senior year.

That was Mud Bowl 1, I still believe HHS was the better team, but very poor field conditions took a lot of HHS advantages away and allowed Conner to pull off the upset.
sstack Wrote:[/COLOR]

That was Mud Bowl 1, I still believe HHS was the better team, but very poor field conditions took a lot of HHS advantages away and allowed Conner to pull off the upset.

I think there was a very good running back for Conner that had a couple big runs and also a TD on a screen pass when HHS missed may tackles. Would not exactly put that game on the same level as the CCH - HHS Mud Bowl. It was a very good game for Conner. And the better team that night won. I do think if that game was played ten times that HHS wins eight.
NKY Fan Wrote:I think there was a very good running back for Conner that had a couple big runs and also a TD on a screen pass when HHS missed may tackles. Would not exactly put that game on the same level as the CCH - HHS Mud Bowl. It was a very good game for Conner. And the better team that night won. I do think if that game was played ten times that HHS wins eight.

Agree. The running back's name was Miles if I remember correctly. In the papers and broadcast media he gave a number of interviews about how he had ended Highlands' dynasty and they would never win another state championship. Sorta wrong about that! :hilarious: