Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whitley Co. 14 Somerset 7
I would expect more the fans of the number one team in 2A.

You should give credit where credit is due. Whitley played ugly and made a ton of mistakes, but overcame them and found a way to win. Good Teams do that, especially on the road out of region.

Last year everyone blamed the officials, this year its the coaches fault. I know it is always somebody's fault never ever do they lose they get cheated, or something other reason.

Did you ever think that Boston Bryant broke on the ball and made a good play?

I think that was two pretty good defenses on the field, and they were both aided by the sloppy field. I think the sloppy field hurt both teams out of their offensive game plans. On Whitley's first three offensive plays Somerset only had to make one tackle, the other two they lost their footing. It kept Whitley from using some of the offensive play book. Bottom line Whitley made plays and Somerset did not. The coaches can only do some much at some point you have to have some play makers, and on this night Whitley had more play makers.:HitWall::HitWall:
^Careful throwing around words like EVERYONE and ALWAYS. Generalizations can be dangerous.

Of course Bryant made a good play, and it was a good play the first TD also. My point was that the opportunity never should have been there for them to make those two plays. A 15 yard penalty on 3rd and 21, a pick 6 thrown after our running game was getting some success, how are those two things not ultimately on the coaching staff? Personal fouls have been a problem with this team for three years now, that's discipline, that's coaching. Putting the ball in the air when we were having little success in doing so, that's coaching. I love Lucas and the rest of the guys, but ultimately that stuff falls on them. I guarantee you they would all agree with me.
Whitley pretty much stoned the rushing offense of the Jumpers and I think that coupled with the fact that the were feeling the pressure of very little time to work with on the clock and only one time out might have had some thing to do with the fact they were throwing the ball.

I do agree that it was a tough situation for the QB to try and make plays. Somerset had a ton of dropped balls which are not the QBs fault.

Sometimes the behavior of the players reflect the leadership and when the rubber hit the road, Somerset made huge mistakes with the unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. One you can understand (emotions), 2 absolutely unacceptable, 3 unexcuseable!!! and I was amazed that the coaches did not address the problem and sit some of the players who did it. and they actually let another one go late when a Somerset player was kicking at Whitley players on the sideline. That is what would have made me upset with coaches more than the play calling.
RoShamBo Wrote:^Careful throwing around words like EVERYONE and ALWAYS. Generalizations can be dangerous.

Of course Bryant made a good play, and it was a good play the first TD also. My point was that the opportunity never should have been there for them to make those two plays.

Point taken.....

Pretty much EVERYONE that posted....not 100% but almost everyone, including players on youtube which was supported by the coaches.....
Nothing dangerous about it.....

Bungee jumping is dangerous.......
Russian Roulette is dangerous.......
Not wearing a seat belt is dangerous......

Using the word EVERYONE is not dangerous at all.....LOL
Good win for the Colonels. Congrats!
playtowin Wrote:We ARE giving Whitley credit for their defense taking advantage. How is a turnover and thrown interception on our part for their only tds not us giving than game away to them? They won because they played better hence the score but WE made it easier. Until we had problems no one had scored. And technically somerset was the only team that scored off of our own will power alone.

Didnt Somerset TD come after Whitley punter dropped the snap at their own 26 yard line with 2 minutes to go in 2nd quarter. How is that scoring off your own will power.
First off.....UGLY GAME.
Id love to see these two on a dry good weather night.

People say the fog and wet field doesnt hurt an offense running the ball....well it does and it showed from the players not getting any traction tonight.

About the game, both teams offenses looked really bad. No bias here, our offense played poorer than they did against Russell County and Somerset also had an awful night on the offensive side of the ball. Had Whitley not fumbled a punt snap right before halftime then Somerset wouldnt have scored in this one, and had Somerset not turned the ball over 4 times, one a pick 6 by Bryant, i dont know that Whitley would have scored.

Overall, ill take the win, but i think both teams are scratching their head after this one. It was definitely a cleaner game than last year. I wont complain about the refs at all, they dont a good job on this one, but i will blame Whitley for having 45 motion, flase starts, and holding penalties.

To be honest, i dont know what to take away from this game. One side of me thinks it was just a hard fought defensive battle that was physical and a good game and another side of me thinks both teams didnt even know the rules of the game tonight.

But, a win is a win, and Whitley has already surpassed there win total of last year.
I wish Somerset nothing but the best and hope they win the 2A crown, hey, it only makes us look better in the end.
As for Whitley, the real season starts next week. We have to play better than this against Perry, and our defense has to play as good as they did tonight. All four games left in the regular season are winnable, and oh my how it would shock everyone if we went from 3-8 to district champions and a great season.

Cant wait to see the dismal stats for this one from both teams....
Sometimes you have to take that stat sheet, make a lil ball out of it and thow it in the trash. Funky field/weather makes you glad that this was not a district game and you move on and get ready for games that matter.
BriarCreekBrave Wrote:Point taken.....

Pretty much EVERYONE that posted....not 100% but almost everyone, including players on youtube which was supported by the coaches.....

colonelking69 Wrote:Whitley beat the jumpers the sorry refs and the fog. Needless to say it was a sad sight Homecoming night and the home stands not even half full.

Just sayin'. Everybody's got 'em.
Somerset had better learn that there are two halves in a game. Three unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, three interceptions and a lost fumble in the second half. The Jumpers have been up at the half 7-0 against two good teams in both of their losses and then been outscored 38-6 combined in the second half of the two games. The time for saying everything will be fine and they will find their way is over. We go to Rice Montjoy Stadium next week...It will take more than seven points to win there.

Congrats to Whitley on the win.
Insanity - in*san*it*y: Noun -

1) repeating the same behaviors and expecting a different outcome
2) extreme foolishness or irrationality
Wow, can't say enough about the guts displayed in this game.

Whiltey looked dead in the water, they committed every mistake they could and were still in the game, due largely to their defense. Somerset fans seem to think that it was due to play calling but it also may have had something to do with the Whitley defense. I know that both teams had limited options due to the wet field, and the Jumpers had a couple of players out and lost a few more during the game due to the physical play of the Colonels but Whitley made mistakes that kept them from getting into any type of flow offensively.

Field position would a HUGE factor in the first hald and Somerset was basicly unable to take advantage. Whiltey had 6 penalties in the first half and that kept them from being able to flip the field on Somerset. One critical mistake cost Whiltey a Touchdown late in the half but they regrouped and came out and play much better in the second half.

Somerset has a good football team. On this night Whitley had a better one. Hosestly I wish that the field had in in good condition and Somerset had all their players healthy, then there would have not been any excuses win or lose for the Jumpers or the Colonels. Now we are faced with many excuses from many fans who at least this year cannot blame "home cooking" like last year, they only have their coaches play calling (early returns in the posts) and the weather and the football gods to blame.

Congrats to Whitley now 4-2 on the season.

Winning sure beats the heck out of losing!!!!!!
Gut you need to take a hard fought win over a good football team away from last night. When you don't play well and win it shows the character of a team.
Wish I coulda made it to this game.

I don't understand Somersets coaching decisions at all. We are beating a dead horse on offense. It ain't working. There is too much talent for it to be like this.
laker20 Wrote:Keep calling them the way you see them RoShamBo. I support the Jumpers......hope they make back to state and bring home the win. Just seems that some fans don't have the class that you do.
Which ones? All that I've read are put out with the play choices. I haven't read any degrading remarks about Whitley. Nobody likes excuses and you have to learn to play under adverse conditions but it has to hurt your game when you have as many key players out as Somerset did. Also, no reason but having all the unsportsmanlike calls. If they can't control themselves any better than that, put them on the sidelines and let them watch.
Lot of bad remarks about a staff that coached against the weather, fog, and with a LOT of bullets out of the gun last night...
A wet field definitely hurts a team with speed and passing more than a team who keeps it on the ground and time manages it. If somerset had won (I know I'm using the IF statement) i truly believe Whitley fans would be doing this same thing.
A lot of Negativity on Somerset's side. Turnovers and Personal Fouls kill you. But they have weapons. Just have to figure out how to use them. Cheuvront's #83 touchdown was absolutely ridiculous. You don't see high schoolers with that skill set. That catch was mid to high major. Dwell on the negative if you need to-- but the offense has talent. Just needs to regroup
It was a nasty game we couldnt stand up ,they couldnt stand up . It came down to mental toughness we had it they didnt . I believe on a dry field we would have won by at least 2 tds . I hope the jumpers win their class state championship. GOODLUCK JUMPERS........
colonelking69 Wrote:It was a nasty game we couldnt stand up ,they couldnt stand up . It came down to mental toughness we had it they didnt . I believe on a dry field we would have won by at least 2 tds . I hope the jumpers win their class state championship. GOODLUCK JUMPERS........

Thats a joke... HAHA.. There is no way that would happen. I have no room to talk though, you all beat us. Even in crappy conditions so we can only speculate what it would have been like on a dry surface. (i think it would have been two touchdowns in our favor) All we can talk about now are what i like to call the "shoulda, coulda, wouldas"
Big statement for the Colonels. Keep rolling.
IMO this game didn't give us a good read on either team.
Whitley played the best under the circumstances but I don't know how this would play out any other time.

Perry has both of these teams on the schedule and I don't look forward to playing either.
http://somerset-kentucky.com/localsports...erset-14-7

Somerset — As newly-crowned Homecoming Queen, Hannah Lake looked on, Somerset lost its second game of the season 14-7 to the Whitley County Colonels.

The Homecoming Queen is very pretty.

The game was not.

The great thing about writing sports is the writer gets to put in a lot of opinions. And anyone who tells you a journalist covering a hometown team can be unbiased will also probably tell you stories about the tooth fairy, the Easter Bunny, and that every lawyer on the planet is an honest, law-abiding citizen.

So as you read this story, keep in mind, it is not an unbiased story. What happened at the Briar Patch last night was probably a lot worse than the words you read here.

Somerset came into the game ranked #2 in 2A. Many feel their best game they have played in a long time came just seven days ago at Glasgow.

But the rain started about 15 hours before kickoff and before it was finished, the Briar Patch was more like a Briar Bog. You could probably have planted a crop of cranberries.

The play on both sides of the line showed it.

Somerset won the toss and, uncharacteristically took the first possession of the game. They normally defer when they can. The slippery footing and one incomplete pass forced the Jumpers to give up the ball less than two minutes into the game.

Whitley County could do no better. They, too went three and out.

As the saying goes, rain falls on the just and the unjust. Both teams struggled with the field conditions all night.

Then, on Somerset’s second possession of the night, the Jumpers gave up their first interception of the night to the talented fullback Boston Bryant, who was back in the game after missing last week’s game against Lynn Camp due to knee problems.

His knee must have gotten better.

A lot better.

But try as he could, the Colonels’ second leading scorer could do no more with the field than the Jumpers or anybody else could.

Somerset linebacker Bryson Jones added a spark of hope by recovering a Whitley County fumble, with seconds remaining in the first quarter, but Somerset could not capitalize until less than a minute left in the second quarter, when an on-the-money pass from Gadberry to Cheuvront put the ball barely into the end zone. After the Dobbs kick, Somerset led 7-0 going into the intermission.

A strange meteorological phenomenon began just as the second half got under way. It was kind of like the Carl Sandburg poem which describes fog creeping in on little kitty cat’s feet.

Only this fog was more like a mountain lion. Fog covered the field so densely that the view from the pressbox revealed only shadows moving in the mist.

And things got worse.

With just under 3 minutes left to play in the 3rd quarter, Somerset fumbled on its own 33 yard line, giving Whitley County its best field position of the night on Somerset’s second gaff of the night. Even though The Colonels were penalized four times in the drive, they still managed to put the ball into the end zone as the fourth quarter was getting under way.

It was on a little pitch out to Zac Mills, a freshman running back. They liked the play enough that they did it again just seconds later for the 2-point conversion.

At this point, Somerset trailed in a ball game for the first time in weeks.

Time to get on the scoreboard again. Time to pass.

But Whitley’s Bryant smelled the play, stepped in front of the ball, and rambled 38 yards into the end zone for the touchdown. Somerset’s Jacobi Gilmore blocked the extra point attempt, but Somerset would still have to score twice to win the ball game.

It was almost as if an air of urgency came over the Jumpers as they marched the ball down the field in great chunks.

But the drive ended on an interception at the Whitley County 9.

Somerset would get the ball back again, and then again, but interceptions and unsportsmanlike conduct calls kept them from a place on the scoreboard.

And when it was over, Somerset had lost its second game of the season, its second in a row to Whitley County, and a whole lot of momentum it brought from the Highlands of Glasgow.

Needless to say, Somerset Head Coach Robbie Lucas was not pleased.

“You saw two teams trying to play in some very tough circumstances,” Lucas said. “The field conditions were terrible. But Whitley County played extremely well: their big fullback made plays again when we didn’t, and we committed a lot of fouls on our behalf. That’s what’s killing us right now.”

Lucas is not one to mince words, or to try to make excuses for his team or for himself. “We are a very good team when we do what we are coached to do. And until they start doing that, we are going to have moments like this. We took one of the better 5A schools in the state, and we should’ve beat them.”

Most people thought they would, but numerous cases of shooting themselves in the foot cost the Jumpers the ball game.

But there are some good things about the loss last night.

It’s not a loss in the district, for one. District play doesn’t start until the Jumpers travel to Danville next week. Lucas is very aware of the road ahead.

“Danville is much better than they have been: athletic and big up front. And they have an ax to grind with us,” he acknowledged.

“Some people say they’re the best in 2A” he continued. “We’ll find out next week. They’re always well-coached, always great kids, and it’s always a great game”

Somerset now falls to 4-2 on the year. Danville is 5-1, coming off a 42-26 win Thursday night at Green County.

WC 0 0 14 0 --- 14

SHS 0 7 0 0 -- 7

Second Quarter

SHS -- Cheuvront 20 pass from Gadberry, Dobbs Kick :49

Fourth Quarter

WC -- Mills 7, Mills 2 point conversion 11:53

WC—Bryant 38 Int return, kick failed 9:41

Individual Statistics

Rushing -- Whitley, Mills 18-84 plus 38 Interception return, Mills 9-32, Ysidro 10-17, Hooper 4-6

Somerset—Slaughter 6-43, B. Jones 7-27, Gadberry 8-23, Griffith 3-16, McWilliams 1-1

Kick returns – Whitley, Mills 1 -2; Somerset Cheuvront 2-16, Pelson 1-12, McWilliams 1- 7

Passing – Whitley—Ysidro 1-2, Jackson 0-1

Somerset-- Gadberry 9-22 (1 TD, 4 Int),

Receiving – Whitley Mills 1-27.

Somerset – Cheuvront 5-59 (1 TD), Hinton 1-4, Williams 2-15, Slaughter 1-1
[Image: http://d6673sr63mbv7.cloudfront.net/arch...d9c29d.jpg]

Was the fog really this bad???
Excellent story....

Excellent pictures.....

The first one really shows how bad the field conditions were for both teams.
Stardust Wrote:[Image: http://d6673sr63mbv7.cloudfront.net/arch...d9c29d.jpg]

Was the fog really this bad???

Im not kidding dusty when i say i couldnt even see the field at on point and i was on the bottom row.

I was surprised to see that much fog in Somerset where it's mostly flat, and im not sure ive ever seen so much fog.

As you can see, Whitley only attempted two passes, and Somerset did throw a lot, but they got picked off 3 times.

Horrible night.