Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harlan Co 23 George Rogers Clark 14
Coming off of a loss to Knox Central, and with district play beginning next week, Friday’s homecoming contest against George Rogers Clark had all of the makings of a trap game for Harlan County. The Black Bears played that way for much of the contest, before pulling away late for a 23-14 win.
“It took a little bit, but we got it going. With this offense we have got several weapons. Fortunately, I found the right one,” said Harlan County coach Tom Larkey.
George Rogers Clark opened the game in impressive fashion as C.D. Spight broke free for a 76-yard touchdown run on the Cardinals’ first play on offense. Danny Dailey added the extra point to put George Rogers Clark up 7-0 with 8:30 left in the first quarter.
The Harlan County defense settled down from that point, turning in stops on seven of the Cards’ final eight possessions.
After three straight runs by Cole Wilson, senior Jake Middleton broke free for a 50-yard touchdown run to put the Bears on the scoreboard. The Cards jumped offsides on the extra point attempt, and Middleton ran in the two-point conversion to put Harlan County up 8-7 with just 1:44 left to play in the first half.
“It was good to go in with the lead. We had the momentum at halftime,” Larkey said.
Harlan County added to its lead on the first drive of the second half. Middleton and quarterback Austin Maggard each carried the ball twice on a drive that covered 65-yards on just four plays. Middleton capped the possession with a 34-yard touchdown run. After another offsides on the extra point, Middleton ran in the two-point conversion to push the lead to 16-7 with 7:22 left in the third quarter.
George Rogers Clark responded on the ensuing possession. Quarterback Darian Skinner broke loose for a 72-yard touchdown run on the third play of the drive. Dailey added the extra point to close the gap to 16-14 with 6:20 left in the third.
“Without those two big plays they would have probably been in negative yardage,” Larkey said. ‘The defense really stepped up. I thought they played well.”
Maggard set the Bears up with good field position when he recovered a fumble at the Cards’ 17 on George Rogers Clark’s next possession, but the drive stalled inside the redzone.
After a Harlan County punt, George Rogers Clark later drove the ball to Harlan County’s 37, before the Bears’ defense turned in arguably the play of the game. Skinner kept the ball on a fourth-and-inches play, but was stopped just short of the first down by a group of Bears.
Harlan County regained possession with 3:59 left in the contest, and took full advantage. The Bears put together a seven-play drive capped by a 1-yard touchdown run by Middleton with just 1:08 remaining. Wilson added the extra point to close the scoring.
Several Harlan County drives stalled as a result of penalties. The Bears were flagged for over 100 yards in the contest.
“It was holding, after holding, after holding. Every time we had a big play there was a 15-yard penalty,” Larkey said. “You can’t do that kind of thing and beat a good fotball team.”
Harlan County (4-2) will open district play next week at Letcher Central. George Rogers Clark (0-6) will host Lafayette.
I took several things away from last nights game, one being that was the first time that I have seen a team be as physical as HC and GRC was last night anyway. Overall team speed has dipped from previous teams that we have had, and with all the respect in the world for Austin Maggard, this group dearly misses Jordy Brewer and what he did for the team. HC should still win the district and be in the hunt for the region, but Whitley is getting much better and there have been a few teams from HC that is better than this one that lost in the regional rounds.
This was the worst officiated game I've ever witnessed and I've been to Perry Central Home games! My 80 year old Granny could have done better and she's blind not to mention dead!

The only drive the Bears didn't have multiple penalties was the last one. This was a joke I was hoping Mike Ashurst would replace Philpot at halftime!!!!

It's hard to sustain a drive with foolish penalties being called every time you gain yardage not to mention two of the worst unsportsmanlike penalties ever! Tucker Lewis hits a guy going after a fumble they call it Cole Wilson gets a good tackle comes up and flexes his arms another flag! GRC celebrated every play but I'm fine with celebrating good plays but why call it on the Black Bears! But I'm most frustrated that Austin Maggard almost got his head ripped off twice and no calls, the official was too busy worrying about someone throwing there arms up in the press box! Ridiculous when you don't protect a kid out of spite is so asinine that should bring on some sort of reprimand!

GRC was a decent team but the Bears would have beat them like Gate City had it not been for the officiating so I'm not worried the offense moved the ball and the defense only gave up two long plays (which should have been one because Treyvon Long was in position to make a play in the open field until he was blocked in the back).

Anyway Good Job Black Bears I'm proud of you all!
You lose its the refs fault, you win but not by 50 its the refs fault. SMH.
This thread is all over the place. First, GRC isn't a bad football team. Only a hand full of mnts teams better than this team on this night. They are pretty physical and very fast with great athletes. Remember, they might be o-fer but they haven't exactly played Pineville and Jenkins either! Next, if Canady is a Mr. Football prospect than Middleton is too. Lastly, Philpot and Mills proved to be as bad in football as they are in basketball. obviouisly, they have it in for HCHS! People go to games to watch the kids perform not to see the refs. Get over yourself and keep the flags to a minimum and everyone will be better off. I must say after watching these guys last night, high school sports are Hardup for refs in all sports! Most are simply bad, others want to be seen and all are terrible!
[quote=Bobber]You lose its the refs fault, you win but not by 50 its the refs fault.

That is a TRUEISM!

But I guess it's okay for a ref to hold a grudge against HC and not protect the players!!!!

Just defending my team and players! A lot of people getting down on the Black Bears.
Patriot Wrote:[quote=Bobber]You lose its the refs fault, you win but not by 50 its the refs fault.

That is a TRUEISM!

But I guess it's okay for a ref to hold a grudge against HC and not protect the players!!!!

Just defending my team and players! A lot of people getting down on the Black Bears.

Patriot, you better hold your tongue big guy. Philpot will throw your a@/ out of the game next time. Remember, he is more concerned with the 3000 plus fans at the game than he is with what is going on with the game! Lol
wildone89 Wrote:[quote=Patriot]

Patriot, you better hold your tongue big guy. Philpot will throw your a@/ out of the game next time. Remember, he is more concerned with the 3000 plus fans at the game than he is with what is going on with the game! Lol

No kidding! QB gets his head jerked around right in front of him but he's worried that someone is upset with him in the press box!
Patriot Wrote:[quote=wildone89]

No kidding! QB gets his head jerked around right in front of him but he's worried that someone is upset with him in the press box!

It was the pack sitting in front of the press box that was riding his ass. I understand he was complaining about someone in the box, but that is par for the course! He was even wrong about who was getting after him during the game. Shows how observant him and Mills are during these contests. Lol they need to keep their day jobs'!!!!!!!
I hadn't mentioned the officiating because I always get slammed when I do. BUT, isn't there anything that can be done about that crew? In all seriousness, that game got to be way out of hand not to mention the unsafe playing conditions that this situation perpetuated.
Granny Bear Wrote:I hadn't mentioned the officiating because I always get slammed when I do. BUT, isn't there anything that can be done about that crew? In all seriousness, that game got to be way out of hand not to mention the unsafe playing conditions that this situation perpetuated.

Yeah Granny Bear but it was outlawed in most states many years ago. Lol I heard Bear Claw, Philpot and Mills all eat together before the game but don't know if their is any truth to the rumor.
Stardust Wrote:GC, this is not a good football team at GRC. They truly have not shown anything this year that would lead one to believe that they can even win a game this year. Not counting tonights 23 points that they gave up, this team is abysmal giving up 181 points in their last FOUR games - 217 points given up total in 6 games!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is BAD!!!

I agree with you grc is not a good football team.. i am surprised at this score too. from sounds of things that harlan county had a bunch of holding penaltys. Thats something they can correct and get better on... Congrats to the black bears on the win though!
wildone89 Wrote:Yeah Granny Bear but it was outlawed in most states many years ago. Lol I heard Bear Claw, Philpot and Mills all eat together before the game but don't know if their is any truth to the rumor.

Hmmmmmm wonder if Bear Claw would be open to some suggestions??
Confusedhh:
Guys i do believe Corbin beat this team and this is not one of Corbins stronger teams.