Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you cheer for a rival?
There was an occasion back in 1979 when Pikeville and Belfry both played in State Championship games and I can honestly tell you that the vast majority of Pikeville's crowd stuck around to cheer for Belfry in their game. I think it only helps your area/region when multiple teams do well. Lord knows the Mountain teams fight for respect enough than to wish that one of our own falls flat instead of succeeds.
Panther Thunder Wrote:I respect Belfry. Will never be able to "cheer" for them. That also includes Pike Central, Shelby Valley, Prestonsburg, and Paintsville.

There are times when it would directly benefit Pikeville, more so in basketball or baseball, but I would just "hope" they win instead of openly rooting for them.

And for those wondering, I prefer Belfry to beat Pike Central as of recently lol.

I almost the exact opposite.. I can't for the life of me cheer for belfry in anything that they do.. I have my reasons for this.. I do respect what they have accomplished, but can't stand it. I actually root for pikeville to win when they play belfry. Being from pike central i usually hope that even pikeville's academic team loses lol.. but other than those two i can root for anybody on any given day..
I'm in love with Tawnya.. hehe..

Tom is not my friend....

if you have any questions send me a p.m.
What's the main reason for this Pike Central "hate" for Belfry? A couple of legitimate questions...Are you as Hawk fans proud of your program as a whole?, and What would it mean to the PC program to beat Belfry one day and do you think it happens anytime soon?
i cheer for our area teams and our District teams to represent the district. I can't cheer for Corbin though.Confusednicker:
As a big Belfry fan and HS football fan I can pull for other teams...
Could I pull for these teams?
Pikeville- yes
Pburg- maybe
Sheldon Clark- maybe
Breathitt Co.- No
Central- yes
Pike Central- No
Johnson Central- maybe
Ashland -No
When rivals are in the playoffs and in different classes I can root for them. For example: I can root for Pikeville to do good in there respective class and would like to see them bring a trophy home, because it would look good for whole area. Other than that..No!! I hate them all. After all thats what a rival is all about. There are some I hate more than others. :biggrin:
Sure, why not. I hope to see all Northern Kentucky teams do well
I agree. I always rooted for our rivals in the playoffs, especially those in different classes. I remember pulling for the Prestonsburg team in 93 against Mayfield. What I had a tough time with was rooting for area teams that were out of state. I remember Matewan and Gilbert winning state championships and I really wasn't real happy about it. Maybe I've gotten older and mellowed too, haha. I guess I don't have to worry about those 2 ever winning another state championship though.
Like most, I respect Prestonsburg's rivals, but I don't think I could find myself cheering for Belfry, Pikeville, Sheldon Clark, Paintsville, JC, Breathitt, Perry, or any of the Floyd County teams.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Like most, I respect Prestonsburg's rivals, but I don't think I could find myself cheering for Belfry, Pikeville, Sheldon Clark, Paintsville, JC, Breathitt, Perry, or any of the Floyd County teams.

Ironically, I remember being disappointed when Prestonsburg lost to Desales a few years back because I wanted them to win.
When Breathitt gets knocked out of the playoffs...I'm for Belfry.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Like most, I respect Prestonsburg's rivals, but I don't think I could find myself cheering for Belfry, Pikeville, Sheldon Clark, Paintsville, JC, Breathitt, Perry, or any of the Floyd County teams.

Everybody has their own beliefs / feelings, but I spent over a decade with the Prestonsburg program recently as I had three nephews play ball there and P'burg became my second team. Where they and Pikeville are in different classes, never really thought of the Blackcats as a rival. Still keep up with Prestonsburg's scores even though I don't have a relative playing there anymore. Old habits are hard to break.
bear claw Wrote:Hey Backwoods....I am sorry...I can cheer for you against the devil...lol...jk....I have nothing against harlan....just trying to get things stirred up....I am for the dragons...I hope they win state.

Same here for HC.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
bucslover68 Wrote:What's the main reason for this Pike Central "hate" for Belfry? A couple of legitimate questions...Are you as Hawk fans proud of your program as a whole?, and What would it mean to the PC program to beat Belfry one day and do you think it happens anytime soon?

I can't speak for everyone, but for me it falls back to the whole 1 bad apple ruins the whole batch. I went to pike central a long time ago, and most of my friends were from belfry. So during football season it was a bully contest to see who could rub it in my face the fastest.. and sadly it still goes on.. and i don't even have any stock in either team..

I like where the program is going. I think it just took to long to get here. The spread between these two teams has gotten closer, but until Central can actualy buy into the system completely the way that belfry does, then i think Belfry will be a few points better for a long time.. however it wouldn't surprise me if Central squeaked one out sometime soon
I'm in love with Tawnya.. hehe..

Tom is not my friend....

if you have any questions send me a p.m.
I'm a Pike Central supporter and I don't hate Belfry...hell I don't hate any team.