Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Can you cheer for a rival?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Simple question, under certain circumstances can you cheer for a rival? An example is, perhaps for Belfry, Pikeville is playing a prominent out of state school .. a win would look good for the Mountains (and Belfry since we've beat them for 12 straight years Tongue ) can you say "Go Panthers!"

This applies for all schools, what situation could you cheer for your rivals?
I want to cheer and yell for Hazard at times then all of a sudden I will walk by two faced Happy Mobelini and all that changes. Just cant cheer for the Dawgs.
It's a lot easier to cheer for your rivals when you own them. For examples, Covington Catholic is property of Highlands. We do whatever we want with that school when we play them. So of course it's easy to root for them against other competition, but sometimes it's hard not to laugh at them when they think they're good because they beat a team that can barely compete on the high school level.
I can but I choose not to.
NO
If their team is playing and our's is not, then yes I'll cheer for them, other than that NO
I can support any 1A rivals of Harlan Ind. when they play out of our class level or Northern or western teams. I generally support Hazard and Pineville and Jenkins cause they are in our district...Probably the biggest rival I support on a regular basis is the one we've never played,"Harlan Co.". There is more trash talked between these two than any other two that have never played. I also support teams that may not neccesarily be rivals but that I have a general respect for because of thier tradition such as Pikeville and Paintsville and anybody playing out of the mountains.
I can never cheer for Belfry, and if I ever do I hope someone stones me.
Yeah. I mean I cheer for all area teams. I want them all to succeed when they're not playing Ashland
HawksRule Wrote:I can never cheer for Belfry, and if I ever do I hope someone stones me.

I have no issue one way or the other with Pike Central. I don't cheer against them, but I don't support them either.

That is probably because most people from Belfry don't see Pike Central as a legitimate rival. They are just another district game to us, but not threatening enough to call them a rival.

Now Belfry/Pikeville on the other hand, that is a rivalry. Those roots run deep, even though the last decade has been lopsided. I could never cheer for Pikeville.
I catch myself rooting for Ashland. ive worked with alot of tomcats and have always treated this lawrence dawg pretty good. although i don't consider them to be a rival.
Usually whenever Pike Central's season ends, I do find myself supporting Belfry to make a deep run.
WideRight05 Wrote:It's a lot easier to cheer for your rivals when you own them. For examples, Covington Catholic is property of Highlands. We do whatever we want with that school when we play them. So of course it's easy to root for them against other competition, but sometimes it's hard not to laugh at them when they think they're good because they beat a team that can barely compete on the high school level.

I root for Warren Central, when they aren't playing the Purples, but I do so out of mutual respect. They are our biggest rival, but we do not own them. While we do win more time than not, they make us earn it every time. I think they have one of the best coaches in the state and a very good program. You don't have to hate your rival.
Yes, I can and do.
I respect Belfry. Will never be able to "cheer" for them. That also includes Pike Central, Shelby Valley, Prestonsburg, and Paintsville.

There are times when it would directly benefit Pikeville, more so in basketball or baseball, but I would just "hope" they win instead of openly rooting for them.

And for those wondering, I prefer Belfry to beat Pike Central as of recently lol.
I will root for Johnson Central whenever they play someone like Ashland or highlands.
I root for all area teams when there not playing my team.
If their victory can benefit the team I am invested in, absolutely I can cheer for them to win! All other circumstances, then I cheer for the ground to open up and swallow them all.........
Now that Bell County is out of the district AND out of the class, as a Rock fan, I cheer for them.

I will never cheer for an in-district rival unless my team is out of contention.
I went to the Highlands/Cov Cath game and rooted for Highlands. I thought Cov Cath would win, but I still rooted for the boys I coached in years past.
I want my rivals to win every game but one. More painful that way. And it makes us look even better.
i sure hope you can, it won't take you long to realize i'm an ironton fighting tigers fan, from ironton, ohio.and i joined the week we play johnson central. but i follow a considerable amount of ky football as well.
There is only one team that I just can't cheer for no matter who they are playing and we don't even play them in football.
Sure you can. I root for Paintsville except when they play JC. We've seen most of them boys grow up through the younger divisions and followed their play for many years. They are good kids and I wish them nothing but the best.
Pikeville is the only true Rival for Belfry, and I will cheer for Pikeville to do well come the playoffs. When Pikeville is "up" there have been some regular season games I wanted to see them lose for comedy purposes, but by and large I root for them in the regular season.

I consider Sheldon Clark and Pburg, and to some extent Breathitt, sub-rivals of Belfry. By and large I want to see them do well to build legitimacy if Belfry wins, but a the same time when their fans are chirping I don't mind seeing an upset or two.

I do not consider Pike Central a rival and pre-John Chapman I definitely wanted them to be successful and competitive. Now that John Chapman is there I hope the PC players play well and have wonderful injury free careers, but I hope John Chapman loses nearly every game he coaches in.

There are a handful of programs I respect a ton that have the Duke Effect for me. On the whole I know it is better for KY HS Football for them to be strong, but when the game is tight in the 2nd Half I will ultimately be pulling for the underdog to beat them. I would put Bell County, Highlands, Boyle County, LexCath, Beechwood, Mayfield, and Bowling Green in this distinction.
bear claw Wrote:There is only one team that I just can't cheer for no matter who they are playing and we don't even play them in football.

Toldya!!!
I support all 1A school in the mts. hazard,pineville,jenkins harlan ind,lynn camp except when they play williamsburg.an i support 2A,3A,4A,5A TEAMS IN THE MTS.GO EASTERN KENTUCKY TEAMS. Oh by the way hazard, williamsburg coming for you in the playoff.harlan ind.has ur number 2 both teams Confusederved: today:policeman:policeman:policeman
Hey Backwoods....I am sorry...I can cheer for you against the devil...lol...jk....I have nothing against harlan....just trying to get things stirred up....I am for the dragons...I hope they win state.
I will always pull for a Kentucky team over an out of state team.

After that, I pull for the Northern Kentucky team over the rest of the state in the state championship.
Buc-a-roo Wrote:I have no issue one way or the other with Pike Central. I don't cheer against them, but I don't support them either.

That is probably because most people from Belfry don't see Pike Central as a legitimate rival. They are just another district game to us, but not threatening enough to call them a rival.

Now Belfry/Pikeville on the other hand, that is a rivalry. Those roots run deep, even though the last decade has been lopsided. I could never cheer for Pikeville.

I just never liked Belfry when I played and I still don't like that red. I've been suspended once on here for calling Belfry "Russia". Not that they're rivals I just can't find myself pulling for them. I can watch a game and say damn they're good but never will I root for them.
Pages: 1 2