•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top player ever from your School??
Best high school player I have seen at Belfry High School:

Doug Howard
I'll go as far as to say Doug Howard is the second best HS football player I have ever seen come out of EKY aside from Tim Couch...
orisonspi Wrote:I'll go as far as to say Doug Howard is the second best HS football player I have ever seen come out of EKY aside from Tim Couch...

I'll second that...My top three are Couch, Howard, and Justin Haddix of Breathitt Co.
BoondockSaint Wrote:I'll second that...My top three are Couch, Howard, and Justin Haddix of Breathitt Co.
Haddix was special... one of the headiest players I have seen..let alone the fact he ran for over 1500 yard his senior season while breaking passing records! HAHA
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:I am going to have to say Phil Greer from Jenkins in the late 60's. Had a full ride to play QB at U.K.

Don't forget about Lloyd Stanely for Jenkins.
Thunder and Lighting @ Belfry
Josh Gross-Russell

6th in career points scored with 632
14th in season points scored with 258
5th in total career touchdowns with 105
11th in season TD total with 43
17th in career total yards rushing with 5799
9th in career rushing Td's with 88

All while playing an average of 1/2 games for Russell in the 01-04 seasons.
Midee1 Wrote:Josh Gross-Russell

6th in career points scored with 632
14th in season points scored with 258
5th in total career touchdowns with 105
11th in season TD total with 43
17th in career total yards rushing with 5799
9th in career rushing Td's with 88

All while playing an average of 1/2 games for Russell in the 01-04 seasons.

I'd prolly have to agree with yah!! He was a heck of an athelete!
thats awesome right there pure talent.
HazzBeen Wrote:Pikeville All-Time
Backs: Steve Bailey, Chuck Huffman, Greg Hackney, Bobby Deramus, Brent Coleman
Lineman: Tim Honaker, Mickey Webster, Justin Harris
QB'S: J.P. Blair, Jason Howard, Matt Branham
Recievers: Murray Garvin, Jeremiah Akers

It is kind of hard to do it without putting them in positions.

Don't forget Chris MacNamee at LB and Bob Shurtleff... Jimmy Newsome was a good QB as well if what I heard about him was true
Panther#42 Wrote:Don't forget Chris MacNamee at LB and Bob Shurtleff... Jimmy Newsome was a good QB as well if what I heard about him was true

Wasn't there a Powers that played QB for Pikeville? Big tall kid with a cannon of an arm.
TOMCAT06 Wrote:I'd prolly have to agree with yah!! He was a heck of an athelete!

You could make a case for John Groves or Nate McPeek from Russell.
FBALL Wrote:You could make a case for John Groves or Nate McPeek from Russell.

Even based on the stats that Josh had. Don't get me wrong I remember Nate and know John's mom. But I don't know anything about them.
Midee1 Wrote:Even based on the stats that Josh had. Don't get me wrong I remember Nate and know John's mom. But I don't know anything about them.
Groves as a FB and LB may have been the hardest hitter I have ever seen. He went to Alabama and then Transferred back to UK.

McPeek started at Marshall from day one. Its hard for an offensive tackle to rack up stats.

Those 2 along with Gross would be my top 3.
Chris Swartz- Bath County, went on to be a starting quarterback at Morehead State University, broke many of Phil Simms records and still holds many OVC records. Also made it to the final cut for the Arizona Cardinals and cincinnatti bengals. Never actually played a real game in the pros though. Never actually watched him but could throw the ball like a rocket with good accuracy.
Frank Jones also was very good back in 1969 but i cant compare his numbers to a players today when football is much bigger. Still a great athlete
FBALL Wrote:Wasn't there a Powers that played QB for Pikeville? Big tall kid with a cannon of an arm.
Yes Doug was a pretty good QB. If I'm not mistaken he led the state in passing accuracy his junior or senior year maybe even both. He also played for a year or two with the thundering herd and got a bowl ring. he graduated from Pikeville in '97. His dad has been the O-line coach at Pikeville for 20 years! He is darn good at what he does if you ask me!
Batpuff Wrote:Well from Lawrence CO there have been several so here is my attempt. And these will be in no order:
1) Phillip Ratliff - went on to Marshall and was Kodak all american and National Champ
2) Jason Michaels - Started out at Air Force and then Transferred to Western Ky and won a National Champ there as the starting QB and the last I heard was an assistant with the Raiders.
3) Michael West - set several records and in amonst the top RBs in the State and went on to Marshall.
4) Gerad Parker - Set national and state Records as a WR on a running team and went on to play @ UK.
5) Nick Meadows - just ask breathitt co about him, went onto play @ Georgetown until a car wreck ended his playing days
6) Lee Abshire
7) Chris Workman - was a great lineman shut down Jermey Caudill from P-burg when they played us a couple years ago at home like in the 90's
8) Kenny Horn
9) Eddie Vinson
10) Bill Mckenzie
11) Josh Diamond
12) The Preston Brothers from the 80's
13) Dontae Wright
14) James Storts is at Georgetown right now
15) Alan and Brian Short both went on to play college.

There are several more that is all that come to mind right now.
First off Jason Michaels is now an Asst. coach for the NY Jets, and if you are going back to the 80's well they are alot of good players that come to mind....Dave and Richard Scarberryare two huge linemen, Mark Hardin and Brian and Timmy Frazier were top Rb's in that era, you can forget Travis Hughes, Fred Dean theres so many to name but as for the all time best from Lawrence County i would have to say Michael West is tied with Dontae Wright as being all around great players.
As for a player i remmeber the most when i played was a guy from Prestonburg i belive his name was John Derossett...big RB from the 80's.
lpd826 Wrote:First off Jason Michaels is now an Asst. coach for the NY Jets, and if you are going back to the 80's well they are alot of good players that come to mind....Dave and Richard Scarberryare two huge linemen, Mark Hardin and Brian and Timmy Frazier were top Rb's in that era, you can forget Travis Hughes, Fred Dean theres so many to name but as for the all time best from Lawrence County i would have to say Michael West is tied with Dontae Wright as being all around great players.
Another great player I don't see on this list is Michael Copley, who was pretty good. He is also a damn good coach.
Panther#42 Wrote:Don't forget Chris MacNamee at LB and Bob Shurtleff... Jimmy Newsome was a good QB as well if what I heard about him was true

Chris wasn't a LB, he was a Safety. I will give you Bob and Chris. I just flat out forgot them. Not Jimmy though. Great person and Barber, but not all time best at QB.
tim honaker- pikeville
dawgsfan424 Wrote:hands down bebo combs of hazard high school and most recently jimmy miller
JIMMY MILLER? , nope sorry. Durell Olinger :notworthy
Midee1 Wrote:Even based on the stats that Josh had. Don't get me wrong I remember Nate and know John's mom. But I don't know anything about them.
no boubt john groves was one of the hardest hitters ive seen coming form a running back.. my brother was the left guard that year.. they had john groves in the bacfield and ray clark back their also..they definatley had the talent to go to state that year.. in my opinion they were better than lasat years state team.. and i would say ray clark for one of the best even though he was only their one year who knows what would have happened if he could have been their for all 4 years..
ukno08 Wrote:no boubt john groves was one of the hardest hitters ive seen coming form a running back.. my brother was the left guard that year.. they had john groves in the bacfield and ray clark back their also..they definatley had the talent to go to state that year.. in my opinion they were better than lasat years state team.. and i would say ray clark for one of the best even though he was only their one year who knows what would have happened if he could have been their for all 4 years..

The other John Groves.
FBALL Wrote:The other John Groves.

How you doing there FBALL? :howdy:
Midee1 Wrote:How you doing there FBALL? :howdy:

I've been better.:goofy:
GridironGang1 Wrote:JIMMY MILLER? , nope sorry. Durell Olinger :notworthy

Durrell has a LONG way to go to ever be ranked in the same category as his older brother John.
The top player from East Ridge is probly, keith Miller or Dave Ratliff.
orisonspi Wrote:I'll go as far as to say Doug Howard is the second best HS football player I have ever seen come out of EKY aside from Tim Couch...

He was a great HIGH SCHOOL football player.
I want to say that the one that got over looked was Mark Salyers during the same era as John Groves....Does any one remember Brad Mooney???
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next