Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Top player ever from your School??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I was just wondering everyones thoughts on this, look foward to reading what people think.:thumpsup:
John Ortega- Prestonsburg
^and Matt Slone
Doug Howard or David Jones
Johnson Central
Scott Salyers
Ron Blume
Most recent:

Doug Howard
David Jones
Matt Maynard

Past:

Dwayne Francisco
Russell Carter

There's quite a few others in the Belfry Hall of Fame, but I can't remember them off the top of my head.
Rick Kestner & Doug Howard
:dontthink All of these players that have been named are great players. But the best ever from your school? Ask some of the older grads, some of these schools have had players go on to be good pro players. It may have been before my time and certainly before many of yours, but before we say "best ever" look back into your schools history. You might be gald you did.
:thumpsup:
Sheldon Clark has had some pretty good ones and all could be considered the best, but if I had a list it would look like so:

1. Brad Tiller RB/CB: The fastest football player I have ever layed eyes on. Every time he touched the ball the other team would hold their breathe. Maybe the best athlete to come from SC period. Was a great basketball player and the best high school baseball player I have ever seen in person.

2. Jessie WattsQB/DB/P/K: The kid held the NATIONAL RECORD for passing yards in a single game for over 10 years. 651 yards in 1991 against Allen Central. Went on to Kentucky State as a punter. Played on the same team as Tiller.

3. Joey Stepp OL/DL: This is where it gets tricky. There were alot of really really good players after those 2, but this one seemed to stand out a litlle more. Stepp was one of the most dominant players in the region durring the 1998 season. He anchored the offensive and defensive lines for the regional champions. Was also an excellent wrestler for SC. Attended Marshall where he started for the better part of 2 years and earned All MAC 2nd team his senior year.

4. Nathan Moore QB/FS: Another really really good player. Was possibly the second best athlete to come from SC behind Tiller. Was as athletic as anyone in the region and could beat you with his arm or his legs. A hard hitting saftey Moore always played with a reckless abadonment and was one of the more physically gifted kids to attend SC. Also an excellent basketball player and track star.

5. Ben Delong RB/FS: Every once in a while an athlete comes along that never quite reaches their full potential. That was Delong. An extremley gifted athlete that could run over or around you at RB and would just assume hit you as look at you on defense. Was a starter for 3 years. (Would had started all 4 but broke his leg early in his freshman year) Was a member of the team from the 1997-2000 seasons. Had a combined record of 31-8 for the 3 years he started. (1998:9-5 ,1999:11-1 ,2000:11-2)

If I had to make a list of the top 5 players to come from SC this is who would be on it with Tiller being tabbed by me as the best ever.
Matney's Prodigey Wrote:Sheldon Clark has had some pretty good ones and all could be considered the best, but if I had a list it would look like so:

1. Brad Tiller RB/CB: The fastest football player I have ever layed eyes on. Every time he touched the ball the other team would hold their breathe. Maybe the best athlete to come from SC period. Was a great basketball player and the best high school baseball player I have ever seen in person.

2. Jessie WattsQB/DB/P/K: The kid held the NATIONAL RECORD for passing yards in a single game for over 10 years. 651 yards in 1991 against Allen Central. Went on to Kentucky State as a punter. Played on the same team as Tiller.

3. Joey Stepp OL/DL: This is where it gets tricky. There were alot of really really good players after those 2, but this one seemed to stand out a litlle more. Stepp was one of the most dominant players in the region durring the 1998 season. He anchored the offensive and defensive lines for the regional champions. Was also an excellent wrestler for SC. Attended Marshall where he started for the better part of 2 years and earned All MAC 2nd team his senior year.

4. Nathan Moore QB/FS: Another really really good player. Was possibly the second best athlete to come from SC behind Tiller. Was as athletic as anyone in the region and could beat you with his arm or his legs. A hard hitting saftey Moore always played with a reckless abadonment and was one of the more physically gifted kids to attend SC. Also an excellent basketball player and track star.

5. Ben Delong RB/FS: Every once in a while an athlete comes along that never quite reaches their full potential. That was Delong. An extremley gifted athlete that could run over or around you at RB and would just assume hit you as look at you on defense. Was a starter for 3 years. (Would had started all 4 but broke his leg early in his freshman year) Was a member of the team from the 1997-2000 seasons. Had a combined record of 31-8 for the 3 years he started. (1998:9-5 ,1999:11-1 ,2000:11-2)

If I had to make a list of the top 5 players to come from SC this is who would be on it with Tiller being tabbed by me as the best ever.

Good list, and i definitely agree with that last part. I actually saw Brad Tiller the other day watching his little brother play little league baseball. AWESOME athlete and also an AWESOME person.
corndog23 Wrote:Good list, and i definitely agree with that last part. I actually saw Brad Tiller the other day watching his little brother play little league baseball. AWESOME athlete and also an AWESOME person.

You couldn't be more right about Brad. They don't make better people than him. Except maybe for Ole' Corndog and myself...........lol
Confusedhh:
Matney's Prodigey Wrote:Sheldon Clark has had some pretty good ones and all could be considered the best, but if I had a list it would look like so:

Just me, but if I remember correctly, Brad Tiller was a Tiger for a breif time. Not even a full year, but maybe a semester or so. I do remember him being good though. Nice list.
BelfryPride Wrote:Most recent:

Doug Howard
David Jones
Matt Maynard

Past:

Dwayne Francisco
Russell Carter

There's quite a few others in the Belfry Hall of Fame, but I can't remember them off the top of my head.
Did Mikey Scott play fullback for Belfry Im thinking he did. He had some good numbers.
Matney's Prodigey Wrote:You couldn't be more right about Brad. They don't make better people than him. Except maybe for Ole' Corndog and myself...........lol
Confusedhh:
Well........ok your right!Smile
I am going to have to say Phil Greer from Jenkins in the late 60's. Had a full ride to play QB at U.K.
BurntTires Wrote:Did Mikey Scott play fullback for Belfry Im thinking he did. He had some good numbers.

Yeah, I think so. When I did this, I was trying so hard to think of people to put on the list. My memory isn't what it used to be...Smile
BurntTires Wrote:Did Mikey Scott play fullback for Belfry Im thinking he did. He had some good numbers.

No, Mikey was a tailback. Never once did he play fullback, to my knowledge. I played football with him all 4 years.
BelfryPride Wrote:Most recent:

Doug Howard
David Jones
Matt Maynard

Past:

Dwayne Francisco
Russell Carter

I would most definitely agree with you on the most recent ones, and maybe even Dwayne, but no offense, Russell Carter shouldn't even be mentioned in this list. He was a good running back, but great he wasn't. Rick Kessner was probably the greatest of all, Played pro ball for several years. Not trying to knock your opinon at all, but I played on the 85,86,87, and 88 teams and there were several better players from 85 to present than Russel.
In the Know Wrote:Just me, but if I remember correctly, Brad Tiller was a Tiger for a breif time. Not even a full year, but maybe a semester or so. I do remember him being good though. Nice list.

Brad played at Paintsville his freshman season. He played his sophmore and junior years at SC.He did not play his senior year due to his worry of getting injured for baseball.
After reviewing my answers I realized I left off some really good players from Sheldon Clark that deserve to be mentioned.

*Bruce Stepp (TE/DL): Was one of the best physical specimans to come from SC. Had great god given ability. Was a dominant force durring his tenure at SC. Started both ways all 4 years. Was also an outstanding wrestler winning state one year for sure maybe 2.
* Sawn King (OL/DL): Maybe the bst offensive lineman to ever walk out of Sheldon Clark. This kid could block anyone at any time. Was the anchor to some really good SC teams that could never seem to get over the P'burg hump. Was a great individual also to go along with his ability.

Don't know how I left off these 2 young men. They both deserve to be mentioned with the list I left above.
Matney's Prodigey Wrote:Brad played at Paintsville his freshman season. He played his sophmore and junior years at SC.He did not play his senior year due to his worry of getting injured for baseball.

:thumpsup: Thanks. Good to know I'm not totally losing it in my old age!
Matney's Prodigey Wrote:After reviewing my answers I realized I left off some really good players from Sheldon Clark that deserve to be mentioned.

*Bruce Stepp (TE/DL): Was one of the best physical specimans to come from SC. Had great god given ability. Was a dominant force durring his tenure at SC. Started both ways all 4 years. Was also an outstanding wrestler winning state one year for sure maybe 2.
* Sawn King (OL/DL): Maybe the bst offensive lineman to ever walk out of Sheldon Clark. This kid could block anyone at any time. Was the anchor to some really good SC teams that could never seem to get over the P'burg hump. Was a great individual also to go along with his ability.

Don't know how I left off these 2 young men. They both deserve to be mentioned with the list I left above.

I think won 2 and maybe 3 state titles in wrestling.
Mr. Right Wrote:I think won 2 and maybe 3 state titles in wrestling.

BTW....I'm talking about Bruce Stepp.
Crossbones Wrote:I would most definitely agree with you on the most recent ones, and maybe even Dwayne, but no offense, Russell Carter shouldn't even be mentioned in this list. He was a good running back, but great he wasn't. Rick Kessner was probably the greatest of all, Played pro ball for several years. Not trying to knock your opinon at all, but I played on the 85,86,87, and 88 teams and there were several better players from 85 to present than Russel.

My husband played football @ Belfry during the exact years that you did... I have heard him mention Kessner and a couple more from there. I'm not sure on their names but I will post @ a later date!!!
From Phelps I would have to say...

Jerry Ratliff/has KHSAA record (QB)
Ricky L. Dotson
Billy Peck/has KHSAA record (RB)
Mitch and Mike Fannin (brothers)
and if I am correct, just this year Charlie Hunt ran a TD back for a record?? Not positive BUT it can be checked. These are all great athlete's from a "small" school on the tip of Pike Co... LOL... NOTHING like the larger combined and 2 and 3 A schools...
I once seen Raceland's kicker in 2004 kick a 52 yard field goal in a game. Crazy stuff.
IT WAS LONGER THAN A SEMESTER

In the Know Wrote:Just me, but if I remember correctly, Brad Tiller was a Tiger for a breif time. Not even a full year, but maybe a semester or so. I do remember him being good though. Nice list.
Tim Honaker- Pikeville
Doug Howard, David Jones, Mark Cook & Chan Marcum
Pond Creek Wrote:Doug Howard, David Jones, Mark Cook & Chan Marcum

I would add Micah Caudill to the list of Belfry players, he broke a few records (that were broken by Doug or David) when he played (94-98).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7