Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2012 Boys Sweet 16
Anyone on here going to Rupp this week? I'm going down to watch Friday and maybe Saturday morning. Any players that I should watch out for?
toussaints Wrote:Anyone on here going to Rupp this week? I'm going down to watch Friday and maybe Saturday morning. Any players that I should watch out for?

Jaysean Page from Perry Central
Benchwarmer Wrote:Jaysean Page from Perry Central

that's funny
toussaints Wrote:that's funny

All year long we have heard the he would be the reason that Perry would win region and state. Best player from the state of New York.
First round Wednesday Advancers: Rowan,Co,Hoptown,Trinity,Apollo.
First Round Thursday Advancers: Bowling Green,Boone,Co,Scott,Co,John Hardin.
Friday Advancers: Hoptown,Trinity,Bowling Green,Scott,Co.
Saturday Semifinals Advancers: Trinity,Scott,Co
State Champions 2012: Scott,County.
Sweet 16 Experience:

1st Region: Marshall Co., 7th trip to the Sweet 16, last appearance was 2011 where they got beat by Bullitt East in the Quarterfinals.

2nd Region: Hopkinsville, 5th trip to the Sweet 16, last appearance was 2003.

3rd Region: Apollo, 9th trip to the Sweet 16, last appearance was 2006.

4th Region: Bowling Green, 13th trip to the Sweet 16, last appearance was 2009.

5th Region: John Hardin, 2nd trip to the Sweet 16, last appearance was 2006.

6th Region: Bullitt East, 3rd trip to the Sweet 16, last appearance was 2011 where they got beat by Rowan Co in the Semi-Finals.

7th Region: Trinity, 2nd trip to the Sweet 16, last appearance was 2004.

8th Region: Oldham Co., 15th trip to the Sweet 16, last appearance was 2011 where they got beat by Clark Co. in the 1st Rd.

9th Region: Boone Co., 4th trip to the Sweet 16, last appearance was 1996.

10th Region: Clark Co., 23rd trip to the Sweet 16, last appearance was 2011 where they lost to Eastern in the Quarterfinals.

11th Region: Scott Co., 14th trip to the Sweet 16, last appearance was in 2010.

12th Region: Southwestern, 1st appearance in the Sweet 16.

13th Region: North Laurel, 1st appearance in the Sweet 16.

14th Region: Knott Co. Central, 9th trip to the Sweet 16, last appearance was in 2010.

15th Region: Johnson Central, 6th trip to the Sweet 16, last appearance was in 2006.

16th Region: Rowan Co., 6th trip to the Sweet 16, last appearance was in 2011 where they lost to Christian Co in the Championship game.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
toussaints Wrote:Anyone on here going to Rupp this week? I'm going down to watch Friday and maybe Saturday morning. Any players that I should watch out for?

Adam Wing, DJ Townsend, Bopper Stenzel, Willis
Cameron Justice
toussaints Wrote:Trinity is certainly the favorite, but they have a potentially rough road to a state title. Bullitt East has beaten Trinity in a preseason scrimmage, and is playing pretty well, so that 1st round game will be tough. Then they'll most likely face GRC in round 2, a team that is surprisingly good and brings plenty of experience that Trinity won't have. In round 3, they'll be looking at Rowan County, a team that was 1 shot away from a state title last year, with 2 of their best players back. If all goes well for Trinity, then they'll face Scott County in the finals, not a fun task.

You must be thinking of last years GRC team. GRC returns only 7% of last years team scoring. Charlie Roger is the only returning player that scored in the State tourney last year , with 1 point. Bopper Stenzel is the only returning starter. He only scored 87 points last year as his role was to feed the big guys. This year he is GRC's leading scorer averaging around 18 a game. You have Howard that wasn't even on the team and playing at the Y. Lack of varsity experience was what GRC was facing coming into this years season. Why they were not ranked or considered to be a regional contender pre-season. They lost 8 seniors from last years team.
Big Dog Stipe Wrote:Would be interesting to see North Laurel take on Southwestern. Teacher verses pupil. Wright verses Sizemore on the biggest stage!!!:Thumbs:
Coach Thacker was also an asst. coach on coach Wrights staff at SLHS in the early to mid 90's...
Gold Charger Wrote:You must be thinking of last years GRC team. GRC returns only 7% of last years team scoring. Charlie Roger is the only returning player that scored in the State tourney last year , with 1 point. Bopper Stenzel is the only returning starter. He only scored 87 points last year as his role was to feed the big guys. This year he is GRC's leading scorer averaging around 18 a game. You have Howard that wasn't even on the team and playing at the Y. Lack of varsity experience was what GRC was facing coming into this years season. Why they were not ranked or considered to be a regional contender pre-season. They lost 8 seniors from last years team.

I'm thinking of this years team and all of the above is true, but some of these guys sat back and watched these guys last year, which is almost as valuable as playing in it because you get to learn the mental parts of playing in the tournament, your coaches are fresh in where they had success and where they failed the last year.

And to top it off, Trinity's players haven't played in the Sweet 16 yet, so GRC will have a clear advantage in experience, that's only if both teams get to round 2
Stinzel is overated seen him play not very good.rowan,Co is not very good either seen them play.I be thei for the whole thing this makes 26 straight years.
ballboy Wrote:Stinzel is overated seen him play not very good.rowan,Co is not very good either seen them play.I be thei for the whole thing this makes 26 straight years.

What games did you see them play. Disagree on Stenzel. He may sscore 30 one game and 5 the next, but look how many assists he will have in the 5 point game. He gets all the players involed or he can take over if he needs too....all round players. Also look at his tunover ratio. Several games he would not have any. Very valuable in a PG.

Trinity starting 5...
hillmonster Wrote:My opinion, this is an overall weak state tournament field compared to years past. Not really any games I'm looking forward to( maybe Scott vs Trinity, if they make it) not really any players I'm interested in seeing. Hopefully it turns out better than I am expecting it to. Anybody else feel this way?

I have to disagree. Overall I think it will be a fun Tourney to watch. Just like ANY tourney, you have your favs. But, no one is going to just roll over and hand it to them. I also think the Johnson Central and John Hardin game will be better than what some are expecting. That is if the young ones don't freeze up.
Johnson Central has one of the states better players in 6'7" - Soph - Shane Hall along side starting 3 Frosh and 1 more Soph and a relentless defense that is like a swarm of bees.
So there's a good possibility, you may see them a few more times in future years.
Anyone who "truely" loves High School Basketball.....expects a GREAT week of basketball, no matter what the field looks like.

I can't make it (Work). But, I will be listening and watching when possible. Good Luck to ALL the teams and enjoy your experience at Greatest show in the State!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
Who else is ready for Wednesday to get here? I know I am.
GetChili Wrote:Who else is ready for Wednesday to get here? I know I am.

Me too.
Paige was the best player in the region like it or not, He be on the Kentucky all star team and will be a starter, and maybe Matt Day will be a starter two. Paige has got offers from a host of D1 schools. and he may have been one of the best in Kentucky. He can help a Very Poor coaching Job cost them the region.
Woodford,Co he shot his arm off and had turnovers.
I be at their for a few games not many going to louisville for NCAA tournament.
ballboy Wrote:Paige was the best player in the region like it or not, He be on the Kentucky all star team and will be a starter, and maybe Matt Day will be a starter two. Paige has got offers from a host of D1 schools. and he may have been one of the best in Kentucky. He can help a Very Poor coaching Job cost them the region.

Has 0 relevance to this thread. PCC long an after thought as they were defeated in districts. We've had regionals since then and now we are about to have the state tournament, let it go.
It's Trinity's to lose.
Trinity has it in the palm of their hand.
Strikeout King Wrote:It's Trinity's to lose.

Never Graduate Wrote:Trinity has it in the palm of their hand.

Yeah.. I'd say Trinity is the easy fav

But... Last year it was Eastern's to lose and they lost it... Hope Trinity can use their talent better then Eastern.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ekff Wrote:Yeah.. I'd say Trinity is the easy fav

But... Last year it was Eastern's to lose and they lost it... Hope Trinity can use their talent better then Eastern.

Agree. I also think that Scott Co comes out of the lower brackett and could win it all.
Trinity has to play the best team IMO other than them in the tournament first round. I do think Trinity gets past BE but it wont be as easy as some think.

I'll be there sat night to see whoever they play in the Championship game, more than likely Scott Co.