Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville 21 Raceland 20
Sound like a barn burner. Congrats Panthers.
Nice when, Pikeville!

I think they're going to definitely give Hazard, and possibly even Belfry, a run for their money!

And of course, prayers go out to the kid who lost his father. It's a horrible thing, and I know how it is. Prayers for ya bro.
[YOUTUBE="Pikeville vs. Raceland 2011"]E3QpCUD1fdM[/YOUTUBE]
9/2/2011
Pikeville 21 Raceland 20

Raceland 8 6 0 6 20
Pikeville 7 7 0 7 21
Scoring summary:
R--Daylin Beach 47 pass from Adam Elkins (Marcus Reed run); P--Randy Maynard 7 run (Zach Burgy-Vanhoose kick); R--Conner Messer 10 run (kick failed); P--Maynard 66 run (Burgy-Vanhoose kick); P--Cody Estep 68 pass from Maynard (Burgy-Vanhoose kick); R--Tyler Nethercutt 4 pass from Reed (pass failed).
Records: Raceland 1-2, Pikeville 3-0

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2010/08/17/13961...z1WsykxfWJ
I had to go straight to work after the game so I hadnt heard about the young QBs father until now and im heartbroken for this kid and his family. I saw someone getting carted across the field from the stands right near the end of the game but I just thought maybe someone had fell or something. It just goes to show how fragile life really is. Prayers to the entire Elkins family and Raceland Community.

As for the game. What a game it was! Maybe one of the best high school games Ive seen in a while. Not because of any big play or big hit (There were plenty of both!) But because ive not seen a game where two teams played as hard as these 2 did tonight. Im happy that my Panthers won but even if they wouldnt have Id still be very pleased with their efforts. Over the past few years the teams of my alma mater just could act like they could care less at times and would drop their heads and shrink away from a challenge put on them by another team....But so far this Panther squad hasnt done that. This group doesnt quit! Raceland is a good team and one I fully expect to see down the road. Good luck to them the rest of the season and WAY TO GO PANTHERS!!! Its not the Maroon Jersey that people used to fear. Its the heart of the players that wore them!!!! Its good to see that maybe this program is slowly starting to get its mojo back! HP!!!
Congrats Pikeville on another big win.
Congrats on the big win from Blackcat Nation. Here's hoping Pikeville continues its winning ways and gets back to its glory days. Keep it going.
Congrats Pikeville.
Such a tragedy for this young man and his family. Prayers and thoughts go out to him. This game could go down in the books as one of the best. Raceland will have to be reckoned with as the season progresses and in the post season.The Panthers are looking good at this point. Congrats Panthers and keep up the good work.
Pikevilles D looked very stingy in the highlight video. Looked Like Maynard went wild on the defense as well and picked them apart.
Talk about a clutch performance!! Pikeville looked great!

Congrats Panthers!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
So sad to hear about Adam's father! My prayers go out to him, his family, and the Raceland football team!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Raceland needs to have better play from the db's they are hurting this team. Seems like I have stated this before the weak spot for the Rams the past couple of years have been the db's I dont know what the db coach is teaching them but it is not working. I have seen a game or two the past couple of years and I know they have kids that can play ,I just dont understand why they make the same mistakes every year.

I would like to say thoughts and prayers goes out to the Elkins Family may God be with the family in this time of need.
Panther Thunder Wrote:[YOUTUBE="Pikeville vs. Raceland 2011"]E3QpCUD1fdM[/YOUTUBE]

Another great highlight video! I wish that there were more people that would post highlights of their respective teams!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
CoachfromtheStands Wrote:Raceland needs to have better play from the db's they are hurting this team. Seems like I have stated this before the weak spot for the Rams the past couple of years have been the db's I dont know what the db coach is teaching them but it is not working. I have seen a game or two the past couple of years and I know they have kids that can play ,I just dont understand why they make the same mistakes every year.

I would like to say thoughts and prayers goes out to the Elkins Family may God be with the family in this time of need.

Not even the past years. Weak secondary has been racelands nightmare for the past 11 years or more. The talent is there. I'm not sure if it's because Raceland is so small and runs a pass oriented offense and the receivers are also the DBs and look to "rest" on D or what.
I seen the Rams play in the playoffs the past couple of years and have talked to some of the parents and fans.They think it is other reasons I dont know if it is true but it seems like by now the head coach can see the job is not getting done at this position with the players and the coaching.
First off the game was great, I thik the outcome would have been different if our starters would have played more. Marcus Reed came out of the game and took a bag of fluids on the sidelines, Connor Messer had a bag of fluids at half time and ended up going to the hospital with heat stroke and convulsions out at the half. Tyler Nethercut started having cramps and so did Caudill. Great game but not our best team performance yet. I know that Pikeville had some kids getting hit with the heat too and what surprises me the most about that game- 97 degrees at one point, and NOT ONE TIMEOUT FOR WATER from the refs all game? I know that was not like a crew to not take mandatory water breaks, it was the hottest day in 2 months and no water breaks. PLus it is hotter playing on turf also... Great job from the Pikeville players and fans, great game but feel we just were a step off that game. I am sure there is a strong possibility to se each other again!! Good luck to Pikeville and keep winning!!
Ram-Fan Wrote:First off the game was great, I thik the outcome would have been different if our starters would have played more. Marcus Reed came out of the game and took a bag of fluids on the sidelines, Connor Messer had a bag of fluids at half time and ended up going to the hospital with heat stroke and convulsions out at the half. Tyler Nethercut started having cramps and so did Caudill. Great game but not our best team performance yet. I know that Pikeville had some kids getting hit with the heat too and what surprises me the most about that game- 97 degrees at one point, and NOT ONE TIMEOUT FOR WATER from the refs all game? I know that was not like a crew to not take mandatory water breaks, it was the hottest day in 2 months and no water breaks. PLus it is hotter playing on turf also... Great job from the Pikeville players and fans, great game but feel we just were a step off that game. I am sure there is a strong possibility to se each other again!! Good luck to Pikeville and keep winning!!
I can not emphasize this enough... EVERY COACH drills it into their players to hydrate BEFORE the game. This has come about due to the incidents in recent years of one player dying up in Louisville, etc. My son plays 5th-6th grade and I make sure before practice even, that he has had at least 24 oz of water within the hour before, and that he takes water/Gatorade with him, and also drinks during the water breaks. Pikeville had some cramping, but not near as much as Raceland, because they learned from the previous week they were not as well hydrated as they thought, I believe, and addressed that.

The 97 degrees was very early, maybe during warmups, but definitely was not that high by game time. I hope the Rams players are okay, and that there are no health issues resulting from it, and that they stay hydrated to avoid these situations in the future. Very nice team, tough and hard nosed.

On the subject of the DB's, just based on what I saw, the main problem is that they try to rely on their speed to make up for technique weaknesses. Y'all had some good size and VERY good speed in the defensive backfield, but a poor lack of understanding of man coverage and zone coverage. A good smart QB like Maynard, along with smart receivers, will find those seams and expose them in a hurry. That's what happened. Backs were biting on underneath routes all night and leaving Go routes and 10-15 yard slants and flys wide open. A lot of speed to chase down with, but it doesn't help you if you are giving up a wide open 15 yarder that results in another 15 yards before being chased down. Those are morale-killers that eat up huge chunks of ground at a time.

Wish you all well for the remainder of the season. Unless, of course, we meet again in the playoffs! :Thumbs:
Ram-Fan Wrote:First off the game was great, I thik the outcome would have been different if our starters would have played more. Marcus Reed came out of the game and took a bag of fluids on the sidelines, Connor Messer had a bag of fluids at half time and ended up going to the hospital with heat stroke and convulsions out at the half. Tyler Nethercut started having cramps and so did Caudill. Great game but not our best team performance yet. I know that Pikeville had some kids getting hit with the heat too and what surprises me the most about that game- 97 degrees at one point, and NOT ONE TIMEOUT FOR WATER from the refs all game? I know that was not like a crew to not take mandatory water breaks, it was the hottest day in 2 months and no water breaks. PLus it is hotter playing on turf also... Great job from the Pikeville players and fans, great game but feel we just were a step off that game. I am sure there is a strong possibility to se each other again!! Good luck to Pikeville and keep winning!!
To be fair, there was one timeout for a water break. lol
PHSForever Wrote:I can not emphasize this enough... EVERY COACH drills it into their players to hydrate BEFORE the game. This has come about due to the incidents in recent years of one player dying up in Louisville, etc. My son plays 5th-6th grade and I make sure before practice even, that he has had at least 24 oz of water within the hour before, and that he takes water/Gatorade with him, and also drinks during the water breaks. Pikeville had some cramping, but not near as much as Raceland, because they learned from the previous week they were not as well hydrated as they thought, I believe, and addressed that.

The 97 degrees was very early, maybe during warmups, but definitely was not that high by game time. I hope the Rams players are okay, and that there are no health issues resulting from it, and that they stay hydrated to avoid these situations in the future. Very nice team, tough and hard nosed.

On the subject of the DB's, just based on what I saw, the main problem is that they try to rely on their speed to make up for technique weaknesses. Y'all had some good size and VERY good speed in the defensive backfield, but a poor lack of understanding of man coverage and zone coverage. A good smart QB like Maynard, along with smart receivers, will find those seams and expose them in a hurry. That's what happened. Backs were biting on underneath routes all night and leaving Go routes and 10-15 yard slants and flys wide open. A lot of speed to chase down with, but it doesn't help you if you are giving up a wide open 15 yarder that results in another 15 yards before being chased down. Those are morale-killers that eat up huge chunks of ground at a time.

Wish you all well for the remainder of the season. Unless, of course, we meet again in the playoffs! :Thumbs:
It was HOT all night, in Pburg without turf the refs called two Water break time outs
I just have a few thoughts I need to express while I try not to think about what our kids and little town is going through right now.
First of all I just want to say thanks to the Pikeville community for being great host. You have a nice stadium and very respectful fans. I thought both teams gave just about all they could give. Both teams had to play under the same conditions so I wont dwell on the heat. We just made way to many mistakes on defense. Good teams will do that to you!
Just a thought about out Quarterbacks dad. Him and his wife I doubt ever missed a game and very few practices. His wife you could see her out walking the track during practice and Mr Elkins would be looking on watching practice. You could see them making eye contact all the time. So you know this was a tight family. They worked so hard for the team. Great athletic boosters. He will be missed by not only the community and family. But it will all be be impossible to replace his unending efforts of helping make this school a better place for all the kids.
It's really ironic that if what I read today is right. Mr Elkins was born in Pikeville. And he died doing what he I believe loved doing. And that is setting in the stands with his wife and friends watching his son play sports. And where his life ended. Pikeville!!
This has to be one of the worst ordeals a young man would have to face. One thing football teaches u is to how to get knocked down and get back up. This young man will get back up. My families prayers go out you him and his family, that includes the RAM!! I know Coach Maynard and he and the team are suffering this loss as well.
False Hope Wrote:This has to be one of the worst ordeals a young man would have to face. One thing football teaches u is to how to get knocked down and get back up. This young man will get back up. My families prayers go out you him and his family, that includes the RAM!! I know Coach Maynard and he and the team are suffering this loss as well.

Greatest post I've ever read on BGR.

Praying for the family as well.
Proud Ram Fan 1168 Wrote:I just have a few thoughts I need to express while I try not to think about what our kids and little town is going through right now.
First of all I just want to say thanks to the Pikeville community for being great host. You have a nice stadium and very respectful fans. I thought both teams gave just about all they could give. Both teams had to play under the same conditions so I wont dwell on the heat. We just made way to many mistakes on defense. Good teams will do that to you!
Just a thought about out Quarterbacks dad. Him and his wife I doubt ever missed a game and very few practices. His wife you could see her out walking the track during practice and Mr Elkins would be looking on watching practice. You could see them making eye contact all the time. So you know this was a tight family. They worked so hard for the team. Great athletic boosters. He will be missed by not only the community and family. But it will all be be impossible to replace his unending efforts of helping make this school a better place for all the kids.
It's really ironic that if what I read today is right. Mr Elkins was born in Pikeville. And he died doing what he I believe loved doing. And that is setting in the stands with his wife and friends watching his son play sports. And where his life ended. Pikeville!!

Wait a minute...Morgan Elkins? Did he used to cut hair? If so, YES, he was born in Pikeville and used to cut my hair as a kid. I believe him and his brother also taught the driver's license tests for the KSP?
PHSForever Wrote:Wait a minute...Morgan Elkins? Did he used to cut hair? If so, YES, he was born in Pikeville and used to cut my hair as a kid. I believe him and his brother also taught the driver's license tests for the KSP?
According to his obituary, he was born in Pikeville and he worked for Norfolk Southern Railroad. I do know that he graduated from Greenup Co..
Jarons Wrote:According to his obituary, he was born in Pikeville and he worked for Norfolk Southern Railroad. I do know that he graduated from Greenup Co..
I looked and found his obituary. Not the person I was thinking of. My apologies to anyone for any confusion I may cause with my post earlier.
Jarons Wrote:According to his obituary, he was born in Pikeville and he worked for Norfolk Southern Railroad. I do know that he graduated from Greenup Co..
It turns out I know this family very well. His Uncles and my Dad went to church together for years and you couldnt ask for a finer bunch of people. And yes they are all from Pike Co. originally.
Prayers for the QB, his family and all of those in their lives.
I am just now getting to watch this one there for is the reason I am just posting about this one.

This is the third game I have been able to watch of Pikeville’s this season and they look much better then they did in both week one and week two, as a team should.

I really like the way Maynard(qb) is maturing on the field. He looks like a different player from last season to this one, and looks so much better in week three then he did in week one.

Estep has a good chance to be a very good player I think with some time in the weight room will be something he will need to make this come to be.

I also like the way the Panthers are starting to play until the whistle is blown. They are not standing around watching the play as much as they were in week one.

I also like the way the O-Line seems to be getting off of the ball.
Not to be critical, but I still think they need to tackle a little better. Wrap up!!!
NEWARKCATHOLICFAN Wrote:Prayers for the QB, his family and all of those in their lives.
I am just now getting to watch this one there for is the reason I am just posting about this one.

This is the third game I have been able to watch of Pikeville’s this season and they look much better then they did in both week one and week two, as a team should.

I really like the way Maynard(qb) is maturing on the field. He looks like a different player from last season to this one, and looks so much better in week three then he did in week one.

Estep has a good chance to be a very good player I think with some time in the weight room will be something he will need to make this come to be.

I also like the way the Panthers are starting to play until the whistle is blown. They are not standing around watching the play as much as they were in week one.

Not to be critical, but I still think they need to tackle a little better. Wrap up!!!
Good assessment.
NEWARKCATHOLICFAN Wrote:Prayers for the QB, his family and all of those in their lives.

Great post! I agree with everything you said!