Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Complaint forces school district to pull pre-game prayer
I totally agree with Dragonsdad. The Bible tells us of this rejection of God and the church. Things are only going to get worse. We need to, as Christians, not riot and make things worse, but take this type of thing to the Lord in prayer. He can do a whole lot more than we can. Our youth needs people who are no afraid to claim Jesus as their personal Lord and Savior. This really saddens me, but doesn't really surprise me. The mockery and disrepect not only towards God, but those who believe in Him is everywhere.
Perhaps a petition......FF FRF
Freedom From Freedom from Religion Foundation
If one of the "offended family's" kids were playing and got seriously injured, God forbid, they may reconsider stopping and start asking for prayer. I know this is a wow statement but it crossed my mind and I bet a lot of others. These young men give there all at these games and if all we can do is support them and pray for them then we SHOULD!!!
"The FRF is preventing Bell County from practicing their religion"

"I would beat the daylights out of the head of that group, then bless his soul with my foot up his, you get the idea"

Do some of you people not realize that statements like this actually make the other side's point? Bell County does not have a religion. People have religious beliefs. Public institutions, and especially governments, do not. (That is kind of the whole point of that part of the Constitution -- you are free to practice whatever you like but the government will not endorse a particular religion). And threatening harm to someone in the name of your particular religion puts you on par with the Islamic extremists and other fanatics who follow the "believe what I do or die" philosophy.

For those of you ready to take up arms, you might want to educate yourself a little bit more on the legal principles involved . The legal landscape is scattered with local governments that fought as a matter of princple to promote their particular brand of religion (which often varied) but ended up putting their town and counties into deep, deep debt AND then had to pay the other side's attorney fees too -- which only helps fund more of their efforts. You should be congratulating your local officials in this instance for a good decision.
Forgive me kypecos, but I don’t feel very vindicated. It feels as if most of the world is now ruled or strongly influenced by the minority. I think that’s wrong. I also think it’s wrong to persecute someone for their religious beliefs, if not practiced in the extreme. It’s quite easy to point to violence and destruction in the name of religion, and say that is an extreme case. Who; however, has the authority to determine prayer at a public function is extreme? And by what right do they take that authority?

I do understand your point. Perhaps I’m not as educated as you are but I am aware of how this country was founded by those looking, in part, for religious freedom. It appears that my religious freedom is constantly being compromised while, with the same process, other religious sects are being granted far more rights and considerations.

Maybe I’m just getting old and worn out.
This is ridiculous prayers have been said before games for a long time and by alot of teams this is a highschool football tradition and for someone to take that out is ridiculous u can't break tradition or someone's faith heck with them do it anyway
No worries Granny Bear. I recognize you and a few of the other posters as good people from following your posts over the years. I'm just trying to bring a little perspective to the situation.

The fact that religion can be so divisive in a government/public setting, as evidenced by this situation and some of the posts, is the whole reason that the government was told to stay out of it. And I have to confess that I've never been to a football game that was preceded by a public prayer, so I'm not sure why Bell County feels so put out about not doing what everyone else is already not doing. JMO
kypecos Wrote:No worries Granny Bear. I recognize you and a few of the other posters as good people from following your posts over the years. I'm just trying to bring a little perspective to the situation.

The fact that religion can be so divisive in a government/public setting, as evidenced by this situation and some of the posts, is the whole reason that the government was told to stay out of it. And I have to confess that I've never been to a football game that was preceded by a public prayer, so I'm not sure why Bell County feels so put out about not doing what everyone else is already not doing. JMO

JM0.....I am very grateful that we ALL have our opinions and are free to express and debate them......another fundamentality that was part of our country's founding.

Actually, I've never been to a football game in our part of the state (southeastern) that didn't have prayer before the game.
I don't see how that they can stop something that usually happens in the locker room out of the view of the public eye
Brandon40403 Wrote:I don't see how that they can stop something that usually happens in the locker room out of the view of the public eye

Actually, Brandon, our prayer is said over the microphone....usually by my brother.
I dont want to get on a rant so all i have to say is this is ridiculous.
Granny Bear Wrote:Actually, Brandon, our prayer is said over the microphone....usually by my brother.

Oh okay thanks for the info we said ours in the locker room and I know a bunch teams did it that way but that was a few years ago......can he go in the locker room and say it for the team and then do the moment of silence or no
I would honestly be willing to go to jail to open up a game in Prayer...
Brandon40403 Wrote:Oh okay thanks for the info we said ours in the locker room and I know a bunch teams did it that way but that was a few years ago......can he go in the locker room and say it for the team and then do the moment of silence or no

He already does that, too.
QUOTE=zaga_fan;1228809]I would honestly be willing to go to jail to open up a game in Prayer...[/QUOTE]

It's quite possible that it's heading in that direction, zaga.

I'm too fat for horizontal stripes!!
:biggrin:
Now if Bell County tax dollars paid for the game to be played in their stadium, then I understand the FFRF's complaint.

A solution for Bell County to this, instead of doing a pregame prayer, have a moment of silence before the game, and those that wish to pray during that time can
Just before the two teams begin to beat each other's guts out, I think it would be cool for the home team to announce to the visiting team to meet them at center field for a private prayer. That work?
toussaints Wrote:Now if Bell County tax dollars paid for the game to be played in their stadium, then I understand the FFRF's complaint.

A solution for Bell County to this, instead of doing a pregame prayer, have a moment of silence before the game, and those that wish to pray during that time can

Perfect solution and has been tested and proven through the courts. Virginia schools observe a moment of silence each morning. (or as one teacher puts it: The moment of "shut-up" :biggrinSmile
Once again the squeeky wheel got the grease. You have to go after having prayer before the game with as much furver as they went after getting prayer taken away. TongueirateSho
BellCoBobcats09 Wrote:Trust me, ALOT of us are very upset with this issue! What happend to freedom of speech? Don't like it, don't listen!

Abuse of the good old Establishment Clause. The problem is that folks only talk about one aspect of the clause which prevents the government from recognizing, endorsing or establishing a religion. The second part of the clause prevents the government from hindering the practice of religion.
zaga_fan Wrote:I would honestly be willing to go to jail to open up a game in Prayer...

If it came down to it, I would join you like Paul and Silas. :Thumbs:

Granny Bear Wrote:Just before the two teams begin to beat each other's guts out, I think it would be cool for the home team to announce to the visiting team to meet them at center field for a private prayer. That work?

I believe this is a great idea.

The way I would orchestrate it is a public moment of silence but those who wish to have a communal prayer can come to the 50 yard line. That way those who do not wish to have a public prayer can pay their respects or meditate or text on their phones, whatever they choose. those who wish to ask the Lord to protect their friends/family/players, etc... can do so as well.
Granny Bear Wrote:I get more and more frustrated by the day about groups that decide what “I” get to do or enjoy. Everyone says that you can do something about it, but in reality I’m starting to question if you can or not. Mine is only one vote; only one voice. I wonder if the ACLU and one offended “family” could/would prevent other cultures from expressing their religious views publicly……interesting.

In any event, can a group of fans be prevented from meeting in the middle of the stands or a pre-determined area, and having prayer? It may come down to this.
I know Lexington Christian is a private school, fans from both schools meet at the end zone to pray just before kickoff in addition to the prayer over the speaker. It is a neat site to see fans of both schools holding hands praying together just before the game.
I am very religious (Christian). I think people should pray continually.

Furthermore, I have never believed in the "separation of church and state". I just believe the government shouldn't endorse or condemn anyone for religious beliefs. I don't think that means a "separation". I have no problem with hanging the 10 Commandments in courthouses, etc.

That being said, I'm just not sure why - other than tradition - there needs to be a public prayer said over the PA.
anyone that believes in the prayer before the game should make there voices heard and lets all band together and get the prayer at a public event get started back
BellCoBobcats09 Wrote:Trust me, ALOT of us are very upset with this issue! What happend to freedom of speech? Don't like it, don't listen!

Exactly :Thumbs:
Ironically they played Lexington Catholic in their first game
I too was outraged by this!
I'm at a loss for words at how often christians get stepped on to make people of other faiths happy
"Unsportsmanlike conduct " >FRF< back them up 15 please!

Was this done between the team? Or could everyone hear it?
Every game that I've watched us play Trinity, Elder,St. Xavier at any level it was done right before the game. 10-15 seconds tops. whats the harm really?
This is not preventing anyone from praying. Prayer by individuals is not prohibited, nor is having a "moment of silence/reflection" to allow those in the audience who wish to pray to do so. All this does is prevent a public entity, paid for with tax dollars from Americans of ALL faiths, from using school resources (in this case, the PA system in a football stadium) to promote a certain religion, when this is not the business of a school system (or any other public entity) to promote a certain religion. The issue at heart is not a persecution of Christianity; it's the legal concept that government shouldn't be promoting ANY religion (be it Christianity, Judaism, Islam, et al.) via use of public-funded resources. It may seem a harmless prayer if you're a believer, but if you're a non-believer or believe in something else, it's your school district telling you over a public address system THIS is what we think you should believe, and your belief (whatever it may be) is NOT our official district religion.

Thank whatever power you believe in that we do NOT live in a country where the majority always gets what it wants, no matter how right the majority thinks it is. Unless you think the black folk should still be riding in the back of the bus...