Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can a Mountain team beat Bell Co this season?
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Actually that description sounds like Johnson Central and possibly Belfry to me in addition to Harlan County.

:Thumbs:
I'm not saying P'burg could beat Bell, but with speed all over the field, IMO they could make a game of it.
Intimidator Wrote:We play to win so yeah Bell County will lose to a "Mountain Team" this season.

Don't every team play to win? Which one are you suggesting?:eyeroll:
No mountain team on our schedule will beat us this year. Can a mountain team beat us? You have to play us and see.
I could see them losing to Harlan County. thats the only mountain team on the Schedule that i see that could beat them. The only Mountain Schools they will play is Middlesboro, Whitley, Corbin and Harlan County. I think Johnson Central and Belfry would beat bell this year if they played.
Dragonsdad Wrote:I think that if there is a team in the mountains that beats Bell it is going to have to be a team with a solid running game. They will need a big o-line and backs that can grind it out play after play. I think one aspect will have to be the ability to keep Bell's offense off the field as long as you can because they will score. So,long sustained drives of 12 or more plays that end in a TD will be a neccessity. As quick as Bell's def. secondary is I just don't think that a team is going to be able to pass on them with the level of success needed to beat them. Although I will say that some passing will be neccessary to keep their def. honest. Harlan Co. is the only team that I see that could possibly fit that description. I seriously doubt that any mountain team is just going to outscore Bell. It's going to have to be a team that will stand toe to toe with them and battle it out 4 and 5 yards a clip.:redboxer: But that's JMHO.

Nobody has done that in the last 5 or 6 seasons. Look at the numbers, nobody runs on Bell Co.
William Muney Wrote:Nobody has done that in the last 5 or 6 seasons. Look at the numbers, nobody runs on Bell Co.

From the mountains, yes.

But some teams have run on them. :biggrin:
William Muney Wrote:Nobody has done that in the last 5 or 6 seasons. Look at the numbers, nobody runs on Bell Co.

You are right about that but that is what it is gonna take. I believe Bell to be smaller in average size this season but with exceptional speed and that is why I say you'll not pass on them. But you might be able to execute a power running game on them if you have the big bodies to do it. You are going to have to keep the ball out of Davenport's hands as long as possible if you are going to beat Bell. That's why I said long sustained drives of 12 or more plays. Obviously,your defense is going to have to come up with a couple of turnovers also. Harlan Co. is the only team with the size to do that. Whether or not the Black Bears can pull it off is another story. But as far as I can see they are the only team with the kind of power running game that it will take to beat Bell. Last season Boyle co. did something similar by rushing for just under 190 yds on 46 carries. But moreover,Boyle's defense just shut Bell's running game down. Bell had nearly 200 yds passing in that game but this year Bell doesn't have the passing game they had last year. Oslonian is a runner way more than he is a passer. He's a good athlete but I don't believe him to be no Ben Madon. Still yet,Bell is the number one team in the mountains till someone from the mountains beats them.

Intimidator Wrote:We play to win so yeah Bell County will lose to a "Mountain Team" this season.

Middlesboro is a decent 2A team but they don't have the o-line or the all around team speed to beat Bell Co.. I like your optimism though.
That is the amazing thing about Bell they are not very big on defense. The first time I saw them in person last year I made the mistake of underestimating them. We had a big size advantage but were not able to run the ball on them at all. Neither did Johnson Central or Harlan Co.

Hatz I don't recall Boyle running the ball that well on Bell last year? Not sure about 2009 did not see the game?
William Muney Wrote:That is the amazing thing about Bell they are not very big on defense. The first time I saw them in person last year I made the mistake of underestimating them. We had a big size advantage but were not able to run the ball on them at all. Neither did Johnson Central or Harlan Co.

Hatz I don't recall Boyle running the ball that well on Bell last year? Not sure about 2009 did not see the game?

Speed kills.
In all honesty - If any mountain team can do it, it's Harlan Co.
William Muney Wrote:That is the amazing thing about Bell they are not very big on defense. The first time I saw them in person last year I made the mistake of underestimating them. We had a big size advantage but were not able to run the ball on them at all. Neither did Johnson Central or Harlan Co.

I wouldn't call the 193 yds or what ever it was a big stat's running game. But spread out over 47 plays really ran alot of time off that clock. Time Bell didn't have work up a score. Plus the defense limited Bell to a passing game only. That's what gave Boyle the edge.
Dragonsdad Wrote:I wouldn't call the 193 yds or what ever it was a big stat's running game. But spread out over 47 plays really ran alot of time off that clock. Time Bell didn't have work up a score. Plus the defense limited Bell to a passing game only. That's what gave Boyle the edge.

Exactly my point.

Magnify it by the fact that in the 4th quarter when Bell HAD to have the ball, Boyle just ran over them until the clock ran out and the ball was inside the 20 of the Bobcats. So yes, they did run on Bell. :Thumbs:

215 yards on 46 carries. Most coming in the 2nd half when they mattered the most and 194 from one back. :Thumbs:
Hatz Wrote:215 yards on 46 carries. Most coming in the 2nd half when they mattered the most and 194 from one back. :Thumbs:

I ejoyed playing you guys for 3 years straight. All 3 were very close and intense games. Good Luck in the future!
BellCoBobcats09 Wrote:I ejoyed playing you guys for 3 years straight. All 3 were very close and intense games. Good Luck in the future!

Same to you 09. Three great games in three years. :Thumbs:
I agree Bell and Boyle was a great series. You could always expect a game out of it. I know you can't judge from the past, but the Harlan Co issues came up since they opened the school. Until Harlan co can play Bell within 2 td's I don't think they're the team.
No Dudley No Dynasty!!!!