Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hatfield & Mcoy Senior Bowl 2011 July 30th
This should be Ky's Year!
I haven't been to this game in a few years because of the home cooking over there but it looks like Ky got some of there better kids to play this year so i'm going this year.
I was wondering if anyone knows what time the game is.
7.30 i think.
8pm.
It's about time the KY team has the kids they should have every year now lets play some football goo luck to the KY boys.
West Virginia looks to make it 8 in a row
The Williamson Daily News
3 days ago | 731 views | 0 | 7 | |

Mingo County is well represented in the 16-annual Hatfiel-McCoy Bowl. The local crew hopes to continue the winning streak for West Virginia by taking the V Saturday night at Tiger Satdium in Matewan at 8 p.m.
slideshow By PAMELA SCOTT JOHNSON

WDN Sports Editor

GILBERT – The West Virginia All-Stars stepped out on the practice field yesterday at Gilbert to prepare for whatever Kentucky plans to throw at them.

And that is unknown according to West Virginia’s head coach Gehrig Justice.

“That’s the thing that has kind of got us in the dark,” Justice said. “None of the guys on my staff have been head coaches but we’ve all played under certain schemes. With them (Kentucky), David (Jones) was always a defensive guy. We think they are probably going to do something like Belfry does but they might do something completely off the wall.”

West Virginia has won seven straight bowl games and owns the series 10-5.

The Hatfield-McCoy Senior Bowl, gives the top graduated high school football stars from eastern Kentucky against those from southern West Virginia what is for some, one last chance to play football. The 16th-annual bowl game is scheduled to be played July 30 at Matewan's Tiger Stadium. Kickoff is slated for 8 p.m.

Trying to ensure West Virginia remains on the winning side are eight Mingo County All-Stars.

From Gilbert are Josh Johnson, Ryan Altizer, Teddy Morgan and Wes Lester. Austin Vance represents Tug Valley and from Matewan are Justin Bradford, Paul Hammond and Grant Charles.

Vance and Bradford are a one-two punch as Vance led the state in scoring and touchdowns followed by Bradford.

Charles won the gold in the Downunder Bowl in Australia and Bradford played in the North-South All-Star football game while Vance opted to participate in the North-South All-Star basketball game.

Justice said he began to work on special teams the first day of practice.

“Vance can return, (Justin) Kidwell and I’m sure Bradford can if he has to,” he said. “That’s one of our strengths. Even if they try to kick away from us, we will have three or four back there that can return it.”

Justice said he may use Vance in several areas on the field.

“At Tug Valley I did it, I played anywhere,” said Vance. “I used to doing a lot of stuff and if that’s what he wants me to do that is what I’ll do.”

“It means a lot to me just to get out here and get another chance to play football knowing this is probably going to be my last football game I’ll ever play,” Vance continued. “And to show West Virginia football is better than Kentucky. “

Teammate Bradford whole-heartedly agrees and gave what he believes will be the final score.

“WV is absolutely going to murder Kentucky 47-0,” he said.

Bradford said he was brought up with a lot of pride living in Matewan.

“In football especially,” said Bradford. “It just so happened we came out as a team this year and achieved a lot more than anyone ever expected. Getting the opportunity to play in the North-South game was a great experience. I met a lot of great people. Then coming here and playing with my rivals, it’s a whole lot different than the game I went to up there (Charleston).”

“We are getting along and looking good. I am sad to see Matewan closed,” Bradford said. “We were always solid. We’ve been to the playoffs two years that I’ve been there. A lot of great players graduated from there. We’ve always been tightknit over there. I wish MCHS the best of luck of being tightknit up there. I wish them the best.”

“And I wish Kentucky the best but, they are just not going to get an opportunity Saturday night.”

With his background in Gilbert, Justice feels the sadness for the four consolidating schools - Gilbert, Matewan, Williamson and Burch.

“To practice the last time at Gilbert,” he said. “To play the last game at Matewan, arguably the two best teams in Mingo County, arguable the two best single A teams south of Charleston for the past 30 years, has a special significance to it.”

Justice gave three goals for the team to achieve during the game Saturday night.

“1. Be more physical. West Virginia has always outhit them (Kentucky.) 2. Force them to turn the ball over. If we don’t drop it and they do, then we are going to get more chances.”

“And 3 - Have fun.”

Read more: The Williamson Daily News - West Virginia looks to make it 8 in a row
Never before in my life have I laughed so hard. I have not the foggiest idea who will win, nor do I care, but these people are just plain stupid.

Jones isn't going to run the bone. Most of these kids are UPike athletes and will do what they do. I would be baffled if they don't line up in the gun and try to sling it all over these kids.

Either way, I'd much rather watch harry potter then this garbage of a football game. Best of luck to David and the others.
This KY team is a freaking new level. Last year Kentucky had 15 kids, and one kid started who didn't play in high school.

This year you will have

From Belfry:
Micah Mahon
Jeff Pruitt
Cameron Tackett
Morgan Bentley
Preston Young

From Johnson Central:
Caleb Wilcox
Cody Parker
Tanner Bratton
JK Hall
DJ Ousley

From Sheldon Clark:
Cory Crum
George Carter
Avery Ray
Austin Stepp
Mikie Moore

That alone is legitimate but with 2 kids from Bell, and a few from Rowan and Clay Counties, and some very talented kids from smaller schools, KY looks GOOD. BTW; there won't be no bone!
If Kentucky doesn't win, regardless of reason, you all should be ashamed of yourselves and play soccer instead.
I think Jesse Hensley from Harlan County is playing. He is going to UPike.
A little FYI the officiating crew will be from the Belfry are this year.

99PIRATEFAN Wrote:I haven't been to this game in a few years because of the home cooking over there but it looks like Ky got some of there better kids to play this year so i'm going this year.
I heard it's 2 officials from KY, 2 from WV.
at half time it KY 8- WV -0
Ky punts to WV after 1st drive stalls, after moving to 50 then getting dead ball foul.
WV fumbles but recovers, leaves 3 and 6
WV fumbles again and Ky recovers on WV 35 yd line..
JK Hall 1st play after fumble runs 35 yd for td
Hliton runs in the 2point conversion and KY 16-WV-0
kickoff and WV fumbles again and Ky gets the ball in good shape again..
halfback pass and td for KY
Hilton another 2 point conversion...Ky 24- Wv -0
Wv fumbles for the 3 straight time,Ky ball at 49 of WV
8 yd gain of 1st for KY
2nd down pass incomplete
3 and 1
Pruitt down to the 28, 1st down Ky
Hall to Parker down to the 10
Ray down to the 6 ,2nd and goal
Ky fumbles and Wv recovers at the 1