Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
14th Regional Tournament Predictions
keepinitreal Wrote:Can someone tell me why you would hold a district tournament in a tin can?

I guess to make it fair to each team in the District. But as far as the gym holding 1300 like LOOKAYANNER mentioned, I think that is even a strech IMO. As far as actual seating capacity I think it is somewhere closer to 1000-1100.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
Probably speaking of Owsley County's small gym for the 56th district tourney. Don't know why they want to squeeze so little people in for these games. They need to pick the biggest gym and have it their every year. Would make much more money and make it a better atmosphere for the games. After you get both bands and cheerleaders in that gym, there is no room for anyone else it's ridiculous.

And for that matter the Regional Tourney being held at Hazard is also a joke. Can you say no parking and a big headache for all that is involved. We should do like other regions and pick 2 maybe 3 places that can host the region and alternate between them every year.
zaga_fan Wrote:My prediction is Perry all the way.
However, the 54th district tourney could be harder than the 14th region tourney.
It should be interesting.

Concur.
Yes I was talking about Owsley.

My thoughts on this are that if a gym does not have the facilities for parking or seat capacity than they should not be considered to hold a district or region game until they change or build something appropriate.
keepinitreal Wrote:Yes I was talking about Owsley.

My thoughts on this are that if a gym does not have the facilities for parking or seat capacity than they should not be considered to hold a district or region game until they change or build something appropriate.

I agree, they should pick one place in each district that can host the tourney. For example each District would get a turn to host every 4 yrs.:

53rd, Knott or Letcher could alternate each time it's the 53rd's turn to host.
54th, Perry is only school in district that should host
55th, Breathitt only
56th, Powell only

This would be a great way to do it and would only have to worry about 4 or 5 sites that could host the region.:popcorn:
EKYHoops Wrote:I agree, they should pick one place in each district that can host the tourney. For example each District would get a turn to host every 4 yrs.:

53rd, Knott or Letcher could alternate each time it's the 53rd's turn to host.
54th, Perry is only school in district that should host
55th, Breathitt only
56th, Powell only

This would be a great way to do it and would only have to worry about 4 or 5 sites that could host the region.:popcorn:

Powell shouldn't even host it! That place only seats 3500 people! Region there in 2009 was a nightmare! I know KHSAA has Letcher listed as that, but their gym can seat way more, plus they have great accessibility and parking. Breathitt is even a stretch as a hosting candidate with parking and capacity.

Bottom line, the only three gyms that provide the best all around facilities in the region are Knott, Perry, and Letcher, with Breathitt making a strong case due to other amenities (there capacity, while not that of KCC or PCC, is a happy medium, regardless of how it is listed on KHSAA).

Knott seats the most with 5000, and Perry is close to around 4500. These two gyms need to be used way more than they currently are for region hosting purposes. IDC how far the drive is for people in the 55th and 56th regions, no schools there possess the facilities adequate enough to host the Boys' region. If a large fire broke out in Powell's gym, everyone in it would die. Point blank.

Eben though Powell was a nightmare in 2009, 2011 at Memorial will be 100x worse. Idk why KHSAA doesn't see this. Oh wait, bc they don't care or take the time to notice these things. It's common sense; sad that a lot of the world lacks it.
Winners: Knott Central
Perry Central
Wolfe Co.
Estill Co.

Runner-Ups: Letcher Central
Hazard
Breathitt Co
Powell Co

Perry will win the the 14th!
PATS2011 Wrote:Powell shouldn't even host it! That place only seats 3500 people! Region there in 2009 was a nightmare! I know KHSAA has Letcher listed as that, but their gym can seat way more, plus they have great accessibility and parking. Breathitt is even a stretch as a hosting candidate with parking and capacity.

Bottom line, the only three gyms that provide the best all around facilities in the region are Knott, Perry, and Letcher, with Breathitt making a strong case due to other amenities (there capacity, while not that of KCC or PCC, is a happy medium, regardless of how it is listed on KHSAA).

Knott seats the most with 5000, and Perry is close to around 4500. These two gyms need to be used way more than they currently are for region hosting purposes. IDC how far the drive is for people in the 55th and 56th regions, no schools there possess the facilities adequate enough to host the Boys' region. If a large fire broke out in Powell's gym, everyone in it would die. Point blank.

Eben though Powell was a nightmare in 2009, 2011 at Memorial will be 100x worse. Idk why KHSAA doesn't see this. Oh wait, bc they don't care or take the time to notice these things. It's common sense; sad that a lot of the world lacks it.

You're bad wrong if you think Letcher's gym seats anywhere close to Powell's. Letcher's gym will seat around 2700( I don't care what they list it at) and that's a streatch at that. Powell's seats 3500. And Powell has great parking and the exits from their lots are multiple and easy to get back out onto the Mountain Parkway. There's nothing close to a nightmare of hosting the tournament there. That's ludricous. The 56th is going to get it's turn whether the rest of the region likes it or not. For years Hazard Memorial Gym was the only venue in the region that could hold it, but that's not the case anymore. Even that gym is outdated and undersized by today's standards, seating no more than 2400, and that would be cramming them in and standing around the rails. They have no parking either.

I think the following should be the only places to host the region.

53rd-Knott County Central

54th-Perry County Central

55th-Breathitt County (parking is their only issue)

56th-Powell County

This way the largest gym in each district gets the tournament once every 4 years. Each district is represented in the rotation, and no county gets to host it twice in a rotation, which is how it is in Perry County the way it is now with both Hazard and PCC in the rotation.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:You're bad wrong if you think Letcher's gym seats anywhere close to Powell's. Letcher's gym will seat around 2700( I don't care what they list it at) and that's a streatch at that. Powell's seats 3500. And Powell has great parking and the exits from their lots are multiple and easy to get back out onto the Mountain Parkway. There's nothing close to a nightmare of hosting the tournament there. That's ludricous. The 56th is going to get it's turn whether the rest of the region likes it or not. For years Hazard Memorial Gym was the only venue in the region that could hold it, but that's not the case anymore. Even that gym is outdated and undersized by today's standards, seating no more than 2400, and that would be cramming them in and standing around the rails. They have no parking either.

56th-Powell County

This way the largest gym in each district gets the tournament once every 4 years. Each district is represented in the rotation, and no county gets to host it twice in a rotation, which is how it is in Perry County the way it is now with both Hazard and PCC in the rotation.

I could live with that.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:You're bad wrong if you think Letcher's gym seats anywhere close to Powell's. Letcher's gym will seat around 2700( I don't care what they list it at) and that's a streatch at that. Powell's seats 3500. And Powell has great parking and the exits from their lots are multiple and easy to get back out onto the Mountain Parkway. There's nothing close to a nightmare of hosting the tournament there. That's ludricous. The 56th is going to get it's turn whether the rest of the region likes it or not. For years Hazard Memorial Gym was the only venue in the region that could hold it, but that's not the case anymore. Even that gym is outdated and undersized by today's standards, seating no more than 2400, and that would be cramming them in and standing around the rails. They have no parking either.

56th-Powell County

I strongly disagree that Powell County holds 800 more fans then Letcher Central's gym.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:I strongly disagree that Powell County holds 800 more fans then Letcher Central's gym.
I'm not downing Letcher Central's new gym. It is very beautiful with a great design. I was told by a person from the school that's what their gym seated around 2700, and when they hosted the tournament there it didn't look to me much like it would hold many more than that. Maybe 3000. Powell's holds 3500.
One disadvantage for Powell though is the fans sit too close to the floor. They don't have railing. But that's not enough reason to keep them from hosting the tournament.
And I'm not a fan of the split sessions either, which Powell and Letcher both had the last time they hosted. I think maybe Breathitt and Hazard did that too. If it's going to come to that, split sessions, then maybe they should just settle on the largest facility in the region and hold it there every year. That would be Knott Central. I'm not crazy about that idea either (Mason County has taking a lot of heat from other 10th region teams over that when it used to be held there every year) but if the other hosts in the rotation are going to use split sessions then in my opinion they're saying "we're not large enough to host the tournament, so to make more money we're going to have to inconvience everyone and use split sessions". If that's the only way then just have it at gyms that are big enough not to not have to do that.
does anyone have any pics of Letcher Central's Gym? i hear it's pretty sweet
Strikeout King Wrote:does anyone have any pics of Letcher Central's Gym? i hear it's pretty sweet
I don't have a picture but it is a very pretty gym, very good design. They have a fantastic football stadium/field too. The entire new school and surrounding facities are a work of art. One of the nicest campuses in the 14th region or east Ky.
^ i've heard the same thing
14th region official Wrote:Probably speaking of Owsley County's small gym for the 56th district tourney. Don't know why they want to squeeze so little people in for these games. They need to pick the biggest gym and have it their every year. Would make much more money and make it a better atmosphere for the games. After you get both bands and cheerleaders in that gym, there is no room for anyone else it's ridiculous.

And for that matter the Regional Tourney being held at Hazard is also a joke. Can you say no parking and a big headache for all that is involved. We should do like other regions and pick 2 maybe 3 places that can host the region and alternate between them every year.

I believe the region should be at Hazard... They have been the face of the Region since the 50's... So I believe that a good enough reason to let them host it. If anyone don't like it at Hazard DON"T COME.... I love the gym, nothing like old school.... And another reason why they shouldn't take it away from Hazard is because they owe it to Hazard, because in the 50's, 60's, and 70's Hazard let all the surrounding schools play their home games in their gym....
The gym was built with coal money for the the community, city and county use. They had to share it because of that reason. Sure dont think anyone in the school systems today would be willing to share like that today. The good ole days. I love Hazards gym because of the history but the parking is VERY bad.
Play the 14th at the East Ky Expo with the 15th. 9th & 10th have both played at same location before. 6th & 7th play at same place. Netural site - Expo needs money - best resturant options in 14th or 15 region. The scheduling could work with multiple games on Saturday and Sunday afternoon.

Per Bing map - Distance from Estill County High School to Expo = 116 miles/2 hr 12 minutes
Distance from Estil County High School to Letcher Central High Scool = 123 miles/2 hour 22 minutes.

This years girls tournament is at Jenkins & includes both Estill & Powell. Distance from Estill County High School to Jenkins High School = 133 miles/2 hour 34 minutes.
X Factor Wrote:Play the 14th at the East Ky Expo with the 15th. 9th & 10th have both played at same location before. 6th & 7th play at same place. Netural site - Expo needs money - best resturant options in 14th or 15 region. The scheduling could work with multiple games on Saturday and Sunday afternoon.

Per Bing map - Distance from Estill County High School to Expo = 116 miles/2 hr 12 minutes
Distance from Estil County High School to Letcher Central High Scool = 123 miles/2 hour 22 minutes.

This years girls tournament is at Jenkins & includes both Estill & Powell. Distance from Estill County High School to Jenkins High School = 133 miles/2 hour 34 minutes.

AWESOME IDEA!!!!! Wish they would do that, people would get to watch a lot of games from 2 regional tourneys. Comfortable and great parking, only downside is the cost of each session and how much their consessions are, everything else would be great their.:Cheerlead
14th Region breakdown is up on examiner.com

http://www.examiner.com/eastern-kentucky...-breakdown
hey Keep!!!!!! lol lol I thought Powell loved Owsley???? lol I bet they love it now......Hey everyone get ready for blame because it's someones fault other than the superstar.....Keep you better read all your post and someone get the crow ready
keepinitreal Wrote:Yes I was talking about Owsley.

I agree, IMO I think the 56th District should rotate between Lee, Powell, and Estill.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
leecoukfan Wrote:I agree, IMO I think the 56th District should rotate between Lee, Powell, and Estill.
I betcha do.:dontthink Leave good ol' Owsley completely out of the mix.:argue: :please:

Lee's gym actually is not leaps and bounds that much bigger than Owsley's, not enough to take the Owls out of the rotation.
If size is what matters the most then why not skip Lee and Estill too and just have the district at Powell's 3500 facility every year and forget about it. Same thing with the region---Knott Central seats 5000, just have the region there every year and rake in the coins. Forget about fairness.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:I betcha do.:dontthink Leave good ol' Owsley completely out of the mix.:argue: :please:

Lee's gym actually is not leaps and bounds that much bigger than Owsley's, not enough to take the Owls out of the rotation.
If size is what matters the most then why not skip Lee and Estill too and just have the district at Powell's 3500 facility every year and forget about it. Same thing with the region---Knott Central seats 5000, just have the region there every year and rake in the coins. Forget about fairness.

Lee County's gym is easily double the size of Owsley's gym! With that said, I don't see them changing the current format of the 56th District tournament rotating between each team every year.

I think if the Region tourney was to be hosted at one location, the ideal place would be Perry Co. Central.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Perry is the only logical place to hold it if it were to be at the same place each year. Nice gym and plenty of parking. Not to mention it is as close to a central location as there is for the 14th.

I like keeping it the way it is. Breathitt, Knott, Letcher, Powell, and Perry should all host. Hazard should keep a slot too but the parking does suck.
53rd-KCC and LCC RU
54th-PCC and Hazard RU
55th-Breathitt and Wolfe RU
56th LEE and Estill RU

PCC draws Wolfe
LEE draws LCC

Breathitt draws Hazard
KCC draws Estill

PCC and LCC wins
Hazard and Estill wins

PCC beats Estill in finals

All of the above is hypothetical.
leecoukfan Wrote:Lee County's gym is easily double the size of Owsley's gym! With that said, I don't see them changing the current format of the 56th District tournament rotating between each team every year.

I think if the Region tourney was to be hosted at one location, the ideal place would be Perry Co. Central.

I agree. But if we are concerned about the size of the gym, like you state is the difference between Owsley and Lee's gyms for district tournaments (and Lee's is not double than Owsley's, maybe 500 more at most), then Knott Central would have to be the choice for the regional tournament every year since it seats 500 more than Perry Central's gym. If size and money amounts generated is all that matters, with parking and location playing a smaller determining factor, then Knott is the only choice.
However, I like it being at different sites in the region but I would rather it be narrowed down to a 4 year rotation with the 4 districts selecting the largest gym in their district to host it. As I've stated, that would be Knott (53rd), Perry (54th), Breathitt (55th), and Powell (56th).
^I agree. I feel that every district should get the opportunity to host region. Just those four schools though. I don't mind it being at Letcher, but not Hazard & Breathitt.