Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian County @ Shelby Valley 1/22
You don't win at valley period.
Gonna be a great game,

I'll take the Wildcats by 5
kywldcat01 Wrote:This should be a very good game.

Elisha Justice and Anthony Hickey will go at it all night long. Hickey just got done dropping 27 on Holmes, so I think that should be a sign that the kid is a player. Both are around the same size at 5'11, both are very strong, and both are very quick. This match up alone is worth the price of admission.

The key for SV is to weather the storm when CC goes on one of their runs. Because Christian Co likes to play "32 minutes of he ll" and press the entire game, the SV guards will have to take care of the ball. Christian Co is very good at creating turnovers off their pressure and quickness.

On the flip side, CC can't let Elijah Justice single handedly beat them. If Justice is on, it will be tough for the Colonels to stop this SV squad. Kates has to continue to play well inside and keep Hatfield from having a big game. Kates is a very athletic big man down low but he can't get in to foul trouble because CC doesn't have much size down low outside of him.

All in all, I expect a great game from both teams. Both will try to run and press the whole game so I expect a high scoring affair in this one. It wouldn't surprise me to see a final in the 70's or 80's.

With a win, SV can prove they're as good as the EKY faithful hype them up to be. IMO this is a game about respect for Valley and I'm sure Booher will pound this in to his kids heads.

I'll wait to post a prediction on who I think wins this game.

BTW, Christian Co will also play AT Perry County Central the following night on the 23rd. I'd assume they'll be staying overnight after this game since they're travelling over 300 miles to play in EKY.

Good post. Very detailed analysis of the game. :Thumbs:
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I too am looking forward to seeing how Valley fares in this game. Christian County is legit, and is fully capable of beating SV and ending the streak. This may be the best team to play SV at Robinson Creek since that LexCath squad back in '04.

On a neutral floor, this game is a tossup, but considering the long trip CC will make, I give a slight edge to SV (Robinson Creek is a little more off the beaten path than Ashland). The health of Wilson is a huge variable, if he is less than 100% SV will have even more of an advantage.

As a fan, I myself can't wait to see this game. Even though the state computer ratings have SV in the top 10, I'm sure there are plenty of doubters across the state who feel that SV is a "paper champion" built on a weak schedule. Even a close loss should prove that SV is right up there with the better teams in the state.

I will be at the game Friday, and will give my impressions when I get back. For now, I will cross my fingers and say... Valley by 2.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Private Wrote:The win streak will continue for the rest of the year but next year they will get beat ,The streak will not reach to much higher.As far as the game if it was on a neutral court I would go with CC.The calls will go for Sv which they should.I hope they win by alot.Justice will play big as well as all the boys.Was Cathloic ranked when they beat Valley in 2004?

When Lexington Catholic came to Valley and beat them 86-81 in 2004, they were ranked #1. That was the year the "Super Sophs" from the 2002 championship team were seniors (Harrison Morton, ________ Graham, and Demetrius Greene). However, Greene didn't play that game because he was serving a suspension for some reason if I remember correctly. Valley had a lead throughout the game, but saw Lex. Cath shoot quite a few more free throws because of foul trouble. It was still a great game to watch.
formerwildcat22 Wrote:________ Graham

William
Valley by 19
Big time game for both teams. I am looking forward to this so much!!! I will take Christian County in a really tight one. 62-64. Valley please prove me wrong.
I think SV will win this one, long road trip for CC and it will show. If at CC I would take them. Believe both have very good ball clubs.
i will take Christian by 8
SV- 75
Christian County- 84

Justice gets held to 15pts. On, 5/17 shooting, 4/5 FT's. -15pts, 5 rebs, 3 asts, 3 stls, and 7 TO's.
uhavenoidea Wrote:SV- 75
Christian County- 84

Justice gets held to 15pts. On, 5/17 shooting, 4/5 FT's. -15pts, 5 rebs, 3 asts, 3 stls, and 7 TO's.
Dang... that is some detailed prediction.

Gonna go with SV in a close one.
Creeker Wrote:Dang... that is some detailed prediction.

Gonna go with SV in a close one.

Indeed, lol.
Christian County- 84

That may happen, but I'd say Elisha has never had 7 turnovers in a game since he got into high school
Christian County- 84

You do realize they play this game at SV don't you. Coming into the 15th region and playing a team like SV and getting a win is like going to Paintsville in the 80's & 90's and playing. They hold home court serve very well. If CC gets the win they will have to be 15 pts better to start with. Just the way it is in the 15th when you play a good team.
Christian County by 4.
If the same 3 15th region officials call the game that called the Miller Grove game when Pitino walked in the gym, Christian County don't have a chance! Valley by double digits, if they get some neutral officials, the streak is over, PERIOD!
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Well they didn't fair to well at the AIT either, whether they where without Wilson or not they still had a pretty good amount of talent with the way you speak of Hickey. Plus they'll be playing Valley this time, not Mason County or East Carter.

Shelby Valley is very strong at home and their press is a nightmare on a high school court.

Very true..but CC playing without Wilson is like Valley playing without Justice or Hatfield.

As far as SV's press, I'm sure it is very effective. Christian Co has given some very good teams fits with their press as well though. Holmes has had over 40 turnovers alone against the CC press over the past two years. They had 21 last year and that was with a player like Riley handling the ball and CC forced over 20 turnovers against Holmes this year too.

CC flat out gets after it in their press. CC lacks overall size at the guard position (much like SV) so they rely on creating turnovers in the press and getting points in transition to make up for that "weakness."

Several players from both teams will have the opportunity to have big games if the guards can break the press and find the open man down court.

Kates and McDuffen come to mind for CC and Hatfield/Ta. Newsome/Ty. Newsome come to mind for SV.

mountain hoops guru Wrote:If the same 3 15th region officials call the game that called the Miller Grove game when Pitino walked in the gym, Christian County don't have a chance! Valley by double digits, if they get some neutral officials, the streak is over, PERIOD!

You bring up a very good point.

Officials in Western KY and Eastern KY call two completely different games. CC will have to adjust while Valley can just go out there and play their game.

Regardless of who wins this game, the final will be within 10 points. These two are very even if you ask me. It's going to come down to which team can make plays down the stretch and hit their Ft's.
The teams seem to be really even but I think that Christian County has the edge. Christian County is actually rated ahead of Valley in 1 or two of the polls. Should be a great measuring stick for Valley to see where they compare with other teams downstate. Really cant wait for this game.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Very true..but CC playing without Wilson is like Valley playing without Justice or Hatfield.

As far as SV's press, I'm sure it is very effective. Christian Co has given some very good teams fits with their press as well though. Holmes has had over 40 turnovers alone against the CC press over the past two years. They had 21 last year and that was with a player like Riley handling the ball and CC forced over 20 turnovers against Holmes this year too.

CC flat out gets after it in their press. CC lacks overall size at the guard position (much like SV) so they rely on creating turnovers in the press and getting points in transition to make up for that "weakness."

Several players from both teams will have the opportunity to have big games if the guards can break the press and find the open man down court.

Kates and McDuffen come to mind for CC and Hatfield/Ta. Newsome/Ty. Newsome come to mind for SV.

You bring up a very good point.

Officials in Western KY and Eastern KY call two completely different games. CC will have to adjust while Valley can just go out there and play their game.

Regardless of who wins this game, the final will be within 10 points. These two are very even if you ask me. It's going to come down to which team can make plays down the stretch and hit their Ft's.

This is a hard match up to call. I know Christian County is very good and I expect it to be a battle. The advantage I see SV having is that teams rarely press them because it usually has no effect on them. In the past 4 years they may have been pressed 3 or 4 times (and at least 2 were with Elisha out with an injury). I don't look for Christian County's press to be the difference in the game. Having seen them play, what would you say would be another factor in their favor?
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:This is a hard match up to call. I know Christian County is very good and I expect it to be a battle. The advantage I see SV having is that teams rarely press them because it usually has no effect on them. In the past 4 years they may have been pressed 3 or 4 times (and at least 2 were with Elisha out with an injury). I don't look for Christian County's press to be the difference in the game. Having seen them play, what would you say would be another factor in their favor?

So you saw Christian Co. play? I wondering how much of a factor having the Thursday game off will help the guys. They canceled the Phelps game according to another post on here. It is going to be a fantastic game!! I cant wait.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:So you saw Christian Co. play? I wondering how much of a factor having the Thursday game off will help the guys. They canceled the Phelps game according to another post on here. It is going to be a fantastic game!! I cant wait.

I may have worded that badly, but I meant that KYWildcat01 had seen them play and I was asking what might be another advantage they have over SV.
I honestly don't see the CC press being very effective versus Valley. This team plays about as good a team ball as anyone. They've been playing with one another since middle school and know each others in-and-outs. Plus having a point guard as quick with the ball as Elisha Justice certainly helps. He torched Mason County's press at the sweet 16 last season.

Now if Elisha were to get in foul trouble a lot of things could play into CC's favor, but like someone else mentioned it will more than likely be 15th region officials that will call in Valley's favor.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I honestly don't see the CC press being very effective versus Valley. This team plays about as good a team ball as anyone. They've been playing with one another since middle school and know each others in-and-outs. Plus having a point guard as quick with the ball as Elisha Justice certainly helps. He torched Mason County's press at the sweet 16 last season.

Now if Elisha were to get in foul trouble a lot of things could play into CC's favor, but like someone else mentioned it will more than likely be 15th region officials that will call in Valley's favor.

Elisha rarely, if ever, gets into foul trouble. He is smart enough to back off a bit if he gets 2 fouls in the first half.
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:I may have worded that badly, but I meant that KYWildcat01 had seen them play and I was asking what might be another advantage they have over SV.

My bad.
alright, im not tryin to bash anybody. but i wanna say one thing, it really bothers me that people can get on here and say that elisha is this perfect basketball player and he doesnt get in foul trouble, he never turns it over, hes pretty much flawless. oh yea and i forgot, as stated in a previous thread, no one in the state can guard him either. well all i want to know is how all you people can say these things, i mean seriously. im sure you all havent watched every player in the state play, and if u have then u have a right to state your opinion, but until then dont say no one can guard him or hes the best player in the state until you watch the other players in the state. ill give elisha this, hes a great ball player he really is, but to say hes perfect, i think not.

but back to the thread topic. ill take christian county in this one.

Christian County-85
SV-80
mister... basketball Wrote:but to say hes perfect, i think not.

Show me where someone said he is perfect... bet you can't.
The King Wrote:Show me where someone said he is perfect... bet you can't.

No one said it to be exact. But, it was implied thoroughly in this thread and previous ones, basically stating there aren't any flaws in his game.

If you state that he has a potential flaw or anything of that sort, then you in return get bashed.
The King Wrote:Show me where someone said he is perfect... bet you can't.

ive never heard anyone talk about the flaws in his game either. i mean yea hes good but everyone in the mountains think that he needs a throne next to jesus and a crown made of gold. come on people, its high school basketball, hes a point guard not point god. hes a great player with a tremendous heart, but its wrong how people put him on this pedestal and he has to live up to what people say because if he does one thing wrong or he has one bad night he will get bashed. the kid doesnt even do anything but play his game but people make that hard for him, because if he doesnt play up to the hype people make about him then he gets crap for it. elisha is a good kid, juss let him do what he needs to do.
uhavenoidea Wrote:No one said it to be exact. But, it was implied thoroughly in this thread and previous ones, basically stating there aren't any flaws in his game.

If you state that he has a potential flaw or anything of that sort, then you in return get bashed.

I agree with you 100%. Don't ever try and say anything is wrong with his game or you will get PM's or called out on here and get ask "Show me where someone said that", Heck just read over the full thead.. If you had never seen him play, You would seriously think he's Kobe..He's a good player but dang.