Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AP Poll (Oct. 12)
Way to show some love to Harlan County. I still don't see how they rank some of these teams. But way to go HC Bears!!!!!!!
cougarpride08 Wrote:But we beat Perry Central, and they are still ahead of us. I really think that these ratings are too early to tell. The real deal is the end of the season. That is what counts.

Its better to be unranked, that ranked stuff just gets in the players heads. They think well we are in the top 10, there not, so it'll be an easy win. We'll see what happens come playoff time. Letcher Central is the strongest team in that district, don't get me wrong there all very good teams. But when letcher is firing on all cylinders, its hard to beat em. There just a couple plays away from being undefeated. A late fumble and blown pass coverage cost them the game against belfry, and as far as the Harlan game goes, well it was the first time cougars had played in the rain/mud, there use to that turf. Which is why they need to win out and get that home field in the playoffs. Harlan Central is a VERY good team, I'll be surprise if they lose to Perry Central. In my opinion, Perry should be completely out of the top 10, Harlan Central should move up to Perry spots at 8th, and Letcher Central should be 10th. But polls are just something to give the radio announcers something to talk about. The 5th place team can play and unranked team, and the winner isn't decide until the horn sounds. Big example unranked Kentucky knocks off #1 ranked LSU, ESPN sports experts said it was impossible but it happened. :Thumbs:
I'm somewhat surprised Holmes dropped out of the top 10 after a loss to Dixie. They're currently 6-1 and honestly Dixie would've beaten any team outside of Boyle and Bell in 4a.
Ram Fan04 Wrote:Mayfield over LCA? You have go to be kidding me. Mayfield hasn't played a Kentucky team who has won more than 4 games I don't believe. Beechwood should even be number 2.

:please:
Very biased but not unexpected from a raceland supporter in the same district. We play football out west too. Facts are: Lex Christian has only beat 1 team with a winning record period. Including their out of state opponet. The only win they have against an opponet with a winning record is 2A Chritian Academy Louisville. The only other team they have even played with a winning record was a loss to 4A Lex Cath. The TN team they beat is 3-5 and rated 94th by Massey in TN.
Numbers can be spun alot of different ways, I could go on but I think the point is crystal clear. Neither stands out as clearly better and a case could even still be made for Beechwood. Both will learn alot more about themselves when Mayfield and undefeated Crittenden play and LEx CA plays Corbin. You might also want to do a little research, Lex CA is not the only 1A team that is loaded, as the other poster pointed out.
Trousdale County, TN 5-1 Mayfield's best quality win. They have outscored their opponents 275-137 but Mayfield scored the most against them all season with 48.
Marshall County 0-7, been outscored 290-73.
Paducah Tilghman 3-4 53-7 loss against Fort Campbell, only wins are against Beaumont, MO(2-4), Calloway County(3-4), Webster County(0-7).
Calloway County 3-4 Only wins are against;
Trigg County(2-4, been outscored 67-129).
Heath(3-3, who's only wins are Ballard Reidland and Webster County who have only won 4 games between the three).
Fulton County(0-7).
Graves County 4-2, Mayfield's second best opponent they have faced. Graves County lost 17-7 against Lone Oak who did beat Lex Cath.
Fulton County 0-7 been outscored 104-311.
Fulton City 1-6 been outscored 115-384 including a loss to Murray of 82-6!

I still don't put much stock in this schedule at all. But I respect it a little bit more than I previously did with the wins against Graves County, and The Tennessee team. However I still do not think they will beat LCA or Beechwood. But I do give them a #3 rank.
Trust me I have done plenty of research as you can tell! LCA has only scored less than 50points twice all season. They Average 50 points a game. And while you may argue LCA's strength of schedule. It is still stronger than Mayfields. And LCA still puts up more points.
And if you want to talk MAssey ratings I can do that too. Massey rates Mayfield's strength of schedule at a -3.73. Lexington Christian has a rating of positive 2.61. The third highest rating in 1A.
And you consider Crittenden County a big game? Their schedule is atrocious! They're schedule rating is even worse at a -5.33. With an exception of some Illinois team nobody really knows anything about. If you would like I can post a break down of their schedule as well. They have played teams who have only scored 7 touchdowns all season! LCA averages more than that in a single game!

So once again trust me I know my single A football. And know the research!
Ram Fan04 Wrote:Trust me I have done plenty of research as you can tell! LCA has only scored less than 50points twice all season. They Average 50 points a game. And while you may argue LCA's strength of schedule. It is still stronger than Mayfields. And LCA still puts up more points.
And if you want to talk MAssey ratings I can do that too. Massey rates Mayfield's strength of schedule at a -3.73. Lexington Christian has a rating of positive 2.61. The third highest rating in 1A.
And you consider Crittenden County a big game? Their schedule is atrocious! They're schedule rating is even worse at a -5.33. With an exception of some Illinois team nobody really knows anything about. If you would like I can post a break down of their schedule as well. They have played teams who have only scored 7 touchdowns all season! LCA averages more than that in a single game!

So once again trust me I know my single A football. And know the research!

Wow, you must be retired.
2A-- I don't think Corbin should be ranked ahead of Murray
Cor.6-1 Mur.7-0 even though it's a one game difference a win is a win and loss is a loss. If you win you should stay at the top but if you lose you should move down and someone else should move up it should be

Class 2A

Rank-School FPV Rcd TP Pvs
1. Fort Campbell (17) 7-0 188 1
2. Prestonsburg (2) 8-0 161 2
3. Murray - 7-0 146 3
4. Corbin - 6-1 128 4
5. Monroe Co. - 6-1 95 6
6. Green Co. - 5-2 78 7
7. Lou. DeSales - 4-3 75 9
8. Lou. Christian Academy - 6-1 61 8
9. Newport Central Catholic - 3-5 48 10
10. Shelby Valley - 5-2 41 5
BluegrassBuckeye Wrote:Wow, you must be retired.

Lol I wish! I've got about 35 years plus before that. I just love football and crunching numbers and stats! And proving people wrong of course :lmao:
well Im not retired but again as I point out stats can be made to look however you like. Kinda funny you havent tried to do the same for Raceland TongueirateSho

I'm not gonna write a book for ya but like I said, they have beat 1 team all year with a winning record and lost to the only other they played. They narrowly beat Christ Preb. out of TN 28-27 who has a Massey of 94 and is 3-5 on the season. Mayfield spotted Trousdale County TN. (Massey 80 & #1 ranked in class 2A with 6-1 record) a 21 point lead then stormed back for a W ending a 19 game winning streak.

LCA lost by 1 to Lex Cath who lost to LO by 3. LO beat 6A Graves County 17-7 and Mayfield beat Graves 28-13. So lets not get carried away with ourself over getting a L to a down from past years Lex Cath. LO was up 22 at the start ofthe 4th and Lex Cath made a run in large part to a onside kick and great long ball.

Like I said I can go on and on and so can you but in the end neither LCA or Mayfield has seperated themselves from the other and for that matter neither has yet to actually prove they are better than Crittenden or Beechwood. By the way that Massac teams only loss of the year until last week was to Crittenden. Since you admit a lack of knowledge about them you might be suprised if you do a little more of that research that you seem to love to do and obviously have plenty of time to do.

What we have here are what appears to be 2 pretty good small schools and its based on schedules that both feature alot of teams with poor records. Corbin will tell us alot about LCA and they may turn out to be the Cream of 1A. Same is true of Mayfield who will have a tougher road if they are to make it to BG. I cant imagine LCA even being challenged before the title game. Will be interesting to see how they respond after several weeks of not being challenged.
Last year I would've argued Raceland till the end. But why would I try this year? I don't put value in out of state teams. And trust me I've also put in the research on the out of state teams. But honestly different states do things way to different. Ironton high school across the river is better than any 1a team just about every year. But never gets a high ranking according to stats and Massey. And yeah I have plenty of time when it comes to football. If it's what you like then it's what you do.
It doesn't matter who beat who and by how much in high school football. I wasn't arguing that. All I was arguing was the strength of schedule you mentioned. It's mainly about what team matches up with the other. And basing it off of that I don't think Mayfield makes it past Beechwood. And if they do I don't think they outscore LCAs high powered offense. Hayden will more than likely break the td record tomm night against Raceland. And he still has several games to go. I may be wrong when all the dust settles. But I did pretty well the past few years making playoff decisions. So I'm sticking to my predictions for now.
lcgrad2002 Wrote:How in the world can Lex Catholic at 4-3 be ahead of Lawrence who is 7-0. strength of schedule or what, the past few years if lawrence was 4-3 with the schedule they had there would be no way they would be ahead of Lex catholic if they were 7-0.
If Lexington Catholic were ever 7-0 against their schedule, they'd be ranked #1 in the state.

To answer the question: LexCath is the better team. They would surely be 7-0 against Lawrence's schedule. I doubt that Lawrence would be 4-3 against LexCath's schedule.
Ram Fan04 Wrote:And you consider Crittenden County a big game? Their schedule is atrocious! They're schedule rating is even worse at a -5.33. With an exception of some Illinois team nobody really knows anything about.
The Illinois team that nobody knows about, Massac County, is 5-2 and will tie for their conference title and go into the postseason with a 7-2 record. If they were a Class A team in Kentucky, they would probably be ranked in the top 10. I know because I've seen them play.

And Crittenden thumped them 27-7.

We'll know a lot more about Crittenden in the final two weeks. They finish up with Mayfield and Murray, and I won't be surprised if they end up meeting Mayfield again in the playoffs, although District 2 looks to be a little tougher (Holy Cross and Bethlehem) than it was last year.
I'll say this about Mayfield's schedule. In most seasons, it would be pretty tough, but Marshall County has their worst team ever, and Graves County is solid but probably not quite as good as they've been the last two years. Both, of course, are also 6A programs.

Paducah Tilghman isn't bad, but they should have a better record. They've lost three close games, two of them off turnovers in the fourth quarter against Hopkinsville and Graves. They're still one of the top 10 teams in 3A ... which, I admit, isn't saying a whole lot.

And Mayfield led Tilghman 21-0 at the half.
No reason not to look at the entire body of work for TN teams, espically when u have Coach T and there are enough games between KY and TN schools to draw comparisions. Outside of that I can respect your opinion but I am not gonna sit by blindly and let you only tell 1 side of a 2 sided story. That said LCA may well be head and shoulders above the rest but they are gonna have to add to their body of work to make that obvious.
Personally, I think Lexington Christian deserves to be ranked #1.

But I will say that the Trousdale County team that Mayfield beat would easily be a top-five team in Class A in Kentucky. To me, that win is as impressive as (or perhaps more impressive than) any of Lexington Christian's victories.
My biggest beef with the AP poll is that to any voters look at record and ignore strength of schedule.

Magoffin County in the top 10? You've got to be kidding.

West Jessamine and Lawrence County have very suspect schedules. So do Allen Central and Grayson County.

And if anyone really believes that Louisville Central is the fifth-best team in 3A, I would love to hear why. I don't know that another 3A team would have won a single game against Central's non-district schedule.
bigg Wrote:2A-- I don't think Corbin should be ranked ahead of Murray
Cor.6-1 Mur.7-0 even though it's a one game difference a win is a win and loss is a loss. If you win you should stay at the top but if you lose you should move down and someone else should move up it should be

Class 2A

Rank-School FPV Rcd TP Pvs
1. Fort Campbell (17) 7-0 188 1
2. Prestonsburg (2) 8-0 161 2
3. Murray - 7-0 146 3
4. Corbin - 6-1 128 4
5. Monroe Co. - 6-1 95 6
6. Green Co. - 5-2 78 7
7. Lou. DeSales - 4-3 75 9
8. Lou. Christian Academy - 6-1 61 8
9. Newport Central Catholic - 3-5 48 10
10. Shelby Valley - 5-2 41 5

Well since your rankings go by wins and losses..

1. Prestonsburg should be #1 since they have more wins than anyone in 2A.
2. DeSales shouldn't be in the top 10 because they don't have a top 10 record.
3. Newport Catholic definitely shouldn't even be in the top 10 because they have a losing record.

Rankings do not go by wins and losses necessarily. That is only one small factor involved. Strength of schedule, talent of team, quality of wins, etc. all play roles in the formula of most ranking systems.

I mean, I see what you're saying. I just disagree strongly with your reasoning. I could understand if you think Murray is more talented than Corbin, but you stated that Murray should be ahead of Corbin simply because they're undefeated. I understand it's your opinion and I respect it. I just don't agree with it.
AllenCountyPride Wrote:Well since your rankings go by wins and losses..

1. Prestonsburg should be #1 since they have more wins than anyone in 2A.
2. DeSales shouldn't be in the top 10 because they don't have a top 10 record.
3. Newport Catholic definitely shouldn't even be in the top 10 because they have a losing record.

Rankings do not go by wins and losses necessarily. That is only one small factor involved. Strength of schedule, talent of team, quality of wins, etc. all play roles in the formula of most ranking systems.

Anyone who thinks Newcath isn't a top 10 team in 2A obviously doesn't know much about them.

They have played one of the toughest 2a schedules in the state:

v Dixie Heights L 19-7 (5A school that dismantled Beechwood; top 15 5A)

v Simon Kenton L 28-9 (top 5 in the state for 6A...beat Ryle 49-29, Conner 56-14, both top 10 6a teams)

v Madison Central W 38-12

v Ryle L 45-0 (top 10 6A school)

v Campbell Co L 21-17 (6A school)

v Covcath L 28-14 (top 10 5A school)

v Newport W 35-16 (2A district rival)

v Cov. Holy Cross W 38-21 (Top 10 2A team overlooked because of record...Newcath led 38-7 before putting subs in)

I doubt very seriously those in front of Newcath would have the same records they have if they played the same schedule as the Breds. Newcath has played a brutal schedule for a 2A school and Ft. Campbell is the only team in 2A that would likely have a winning record against the above competition.

It will be shown come playoff time why Newcath is and always will be a top 2-3 team in the state for 2A football.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Anyone who thinks Newcath isn't a top 10 team in 2A obviously doesn't know much about them.

They have played one of the toughest 2a schedules in the state:

... I doubt very seriously those in front of Newcath would have the same records they have if they played the same schedule as the Breds. Newcath has played a brutal schedule for a 2A school and Ft. Campbell is the only team in 2A that would likely have a winning record against the above competition.

It will be shown come playoff time why Newcath is and always will be a top 2-3 team in the state for 2A football.
That wasn't the point that AllenCountyPride was making. He is in agreement with you, I suspect.
Real Badman Wrote:I understand what your all going for. you may be right, but then again you may not be. As for East Ridges record the teams they have lost to all of them have been ranked. Grundy, Lawrence Co, Allen Central and Sheldon Clark are the only games ER has lost. Also take into consideration ER has had +250 rushing yards aganist everyone except Lawrence County. I think ER deserves too be in the consideration for a spot, but it will be a few more years for they can claim their own ontop of the hill.
Add another loss to that...a 62-0 pounding by unranked Pike Central.
lochocinco Wrote:That wasn't the point that AllenCountyPride was making. He is in agreement with you, I suspect.

I know...I was just adding to his post to show that there's more to a ranking than wins and losses. I was in agreement with his post as well.
Yes, I am in agreement with you kywildcat. I know how good NCC is. I was just being a bit of a smarty to bigg and his post.