Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mason County 34 Russell 21
As Russell's radio announcers said, Russell is the type of team that is going to have big problems if they get behind by more than a touchdown.

That brings to mind a good question I'd like to know the answer to. Maybe some of you Russell football historians will know the answer because I don't know. What is the largest deficit an Ivan McGlone-coached Russell team has ever overcome to come back and win a game?
These threads are hilarious.
Love seeing MASON win again.
Looking back at the stats, I am reminded that Russell has been able to come back in quite a few games after they have trailed to win over the years, including an incredible 10 times in the 2007 season! That team didn't seem to get started playing until they had at least given up a touchdown. Russell hasn't come back to win any game they have trailed in last year or this year, though.

Most people would have predicted Russell losses to Ironton, Ashland, and Mason County this year anyway. It's good they've been able to win the games they were supposed to win.
ryanparker Wrote:As Russell's radio announcers said, Russell is the type of team that is going to have big problems if they get behind by more than a touchdown.

That brings to mind a good question I'd like to know the answer to. Maybe some of you Russell football historians will know the answer because I don't know. What is the largest deficit an Ivan McGlone-coached Russell team has ever overcome to come back and win a game?

Not sure what was the largest deficit but my vote for the most exciting & one of the best games Ive witnessed was the come from behind victory over Newport in 05 for the right to advance.
luvthegame Wrote:That, and with nearly 4 minutes to go in the game the Russell coaching staff quit. They started subbing and running basic plays. Nearly 4 minutes to go and down 13 points and they pack it in. I have seen alot of crazy things happen in 2 minutes let alone almost 4. I was shocked, disappointed and embarrassed. The coaching staff quit. I actually did not catch on to this at first. Another fan pointed this out to me. I was still crying over the roughing the punter. It was a good call just upset it happened and was talking on the phone and telling somebody about it. Then I heard someone say the coaches packed it in and have quit. Started paying attention again and was shocked to see they were right. Ivan McGlone deserves all the accolades he gets and is a hall of fame coach, but that was down right awful.

Agreed. I have been a Russell fan for many years now (probably more than many of you are even old :biggrinSmile, and that might have been one of the most embarrassing momments of my Russell Football game watching. It is a very SAD sight when the players that have been out on the field in the cold rain, and who have busted their butts for you (the coaches) all night, and you throw in the towel and quit. What impression is this suppose to leave for the players???? Also, this would have been a perfect time to work on your 2 minute drill. I sure hope we aren't down by 7 points with 2 minutes to go in a playoff game beacause our players will have no idea what to do because our coaches will have not prepared them. I have been a supporter of McGlone for many years now, and will always be, but I'm am starting to believe that maybe, just maybe a little change in the Russell Football coachng staff could do us good.
FBALL Wrote:These threads are hilarious.

:lmao:?????
Wildcat89 Wrote:Agreed. I have been a Russell fan for many years now (probably more than many of you are even old :biggrinSmile, and that might have been one of the most embarrassing momments of my Russell Football game watching. It is a very SAD sight when the players that have been out on the field in the cold rain, and who have busted their butts for you (the coaches) all night, and you throw in the towel and quit. What impression is this suppose to leave for the players???? Also, this would have been a perfect time to work on your 2 minute drill. I sure hope we aren't down by 7 points with 2 minutes to go in a playoff game beacause our players will have no idea what to do because our coaches will have not prepared them. I have been a supporter of McGlone for many years now, and will always be, but I'm am starting to believe that maybe, just maybe a little change in the Russell Football coachng staff could do us good.

Being down 7 points with 2 minutes to go wasn't the case friday night....thats not even a close to comparing that scenario to the last few minutes friday night...and what you all should be focusing on is IF Mason is the #1 team in the state and I'm not sold they are then Russell has a shot...take away the fumbles and its a different ball game...the coaches have prepared these kids for every game and won the ones they should....this is not a strong russell team and leaving your starters in when the game is over and not getting some work out of your younger guys would be dumb....:yikes:
RedDevil1981 Wrote:I love Ivan but I'm really starting to doubt the coaching. Why would you pull Sparks out when he ran the offense well and they Scored. He was hanging on to the wet ball which was more than Cooper had done (I hope he is okay). and I have no idea why they would put in Roark. Nice kid I'm sure but adds nothing to the offense.

Aside from that - the coaches gave up before the game was over! Almost 3 minutes to go and one time out and they run the ball And end the game without taking the timeout.

Fault with mistakes/penalities continuing into game 8 needs to be blamed on all of the coaches. Maybe for a kicker they can find QB #5 now that Cooper may be out?

The positive - the team. They didn't give up until they saw their coaches give up.

Kick Lewis' cans and get back on track. It still a great group of kids that seem to really enjoy playing football and enjoy their team mates.

People have been question Ivan's coaching for 30 some years and the man wins, wins, wins......This year's Russell is not a typical Red Devil team this year...they aren't as good as they've been the last few years.....and yet they still have a winning a record and will most likely finish the season 7-3 with a sub par team and 2nd in their district...that's usually considered a good coaching job....Russell fans will miss that man when he goes whether they want to admit it or not...bank on it :yikes:
flavorflav Wrote:Being down 7 points with 2 minutes to go wasn't the case friday night....thats not even a close to comparing that scenario to the last few minutes friday night...and what you all should be focusing on is IF Mason is the #1 team in the state and I'm not sold they are then Russell has a shot...take away the fumbles and its a different ball game...the coaches have prepared these kids for every game and won the ones they should....this is not a strong russell team and leaving your starters in when the game is over and not getting some work out of your younger guys would be dumb....:yikes:

13 down with 4 min to play and the ball. That was the case Friday night. Still a chance to win. Game was not over. In the Fleming / Russell game Fleming scored 2 TD's in less than 1 minute late in the game.
pagan Wrote:People have been question Ivan's coaching for 30 some years and the man wins, wins, wins......This year's Russell is not a typical Red Devil team this year...they aren't as good as they've been the last few years.....and yet they still have a winning a record and will most likely finish the season 7-3 with a sub par team and 2nd in their district...that's usually considered a good coaching job....Russell fans will miss that man when he goes whether they want to admit it or not...bank on it :yikes:

Guess it depends on where you sit in the crowd cause I guarantee you the ones around me will not miss his coaching. IMO with all the talent that Russell has seen his wins should be even more.
luvthegame Wrote:13 down with 4 min to play and the ball. That was the case Friday night. Still a chance to win. Game was not over. In the Fleming / Russell game Fleming scored 2 TD's in less than 1 minute late in the game.

I don't think the Coaches gave up, people haven't been happy with the way they've substituted all year and unless your down on the sidelines and in Coach Ivan's head then it's complete speculation...but either way.....with the way the offense has been this year...i don't think those scenarios are even comparable...
pagan Wrote:I don't think the Coaches gave up, people haven't been happy with the way they've substituted all year and unless your down on the sidelines and in Coach Ivan's head then it's complete speculation...but either way.....with the way the offense has been this year...i don't think those scenarios are even comparable...

People are looking at this game wrong....coaching didn't cost this game turnovers did...fumbles man.....and apparently Mason Co. is the best team in the state....Russell has a shot when it comes playoff time...keep em healthy and who knows...Red Devil fans are hard to appease.:moon:
luvthegame Wrote:Guess it depends on where you sit in the crowd cause I guarantee you the ones around me will not miss his coaching. IMO with all the talent that Russell has seen his wins should be even more.

Your right, it does depend on where you sit at in the crowd...and that's why I avoid those people when i'm at the games...it gets annoying sitting around people who don't know what they are talking about...and yes you will miss him when he's gone, but it'll be too late then....Ivan McGlone is Russell and the reason that jersey has the respect it does is b/c of what he's done over the last 30 years..Even his bad teams churn out wins.....this would be funny if it werent so sad how some fans don't appreciate what he's done for the program....Russell is clearly down this year and will have a winning record and finish 2nd in the district and people call for his head and gripe about his coaching....well be careful what you wish for...you just might get it...:yikes:
Imo when McGlone is gone Russell will still continue to have a winning program because of what he has built.
Wildcat89 Wrote::lmao:?????

How about sad? Ignorant? Stupid? Take your pick.
flavorflav Wrote:Your right, it does depend on where you sit at in the crowd...and that's why I avoid those people when i'm at the games...it gets annoying sitting around people who don't know what they are talking about...and yes you will miss him when he's gone, but it'll be too late then....Ivan McGlone is Russell and the reason that jersey has the respect it does is b/c of what he's done over the last 30 years..Even his bad teams churn out wins.....this would be funny if it werent so sad how some fans don't appreciate what he's done for the program....Russell is clearly down this year and will have a winning record and finish 2nd in the district and people call for his head and gripe about his coaching....well be careful what you wish for...you just might get it...:yikes:

Very nice post! Agreed! :Thumbs:
FBALL Wrote:How about sad? Ignorant? Stupid? Take your pick.

I don't see any of those in this thread. This is a website for people to state their thoughts and feelings about a game and that is what is being stated here by me and others. I do agree that you must monitor what you say for the common decency of others reading these posts though. I suppose if you don't like what is being said you have two choices: 1) Post your thoughts about the topic and explain your side of the case 2) Don't read the post. I am in no way trying to disrespect you fball (because I do enjoy and appreciate your post about the games) but that's just the facts of the cold world that we live in these days.
flavorflav Wrote:Being down 7 points with 2 minutes to go wasn't the case friday night....thats not even a close to comparing that scenario to the last few minutes friday night...and what you all should be focusing on is IF Mason is the #1 team in the state and I'm not sold they are then Russell has a shot...take away the fumbles and its a different ball game...the coaches have prepared these kids for every game and won the ones they should....this is not a strong russell team and leaving your starters in when the game is over and not getting some work out of your younger guys would be dumb....:yikes:

I was not stating that, that was the case this past Friday. I was just saying that they could have utilized the last 4 minutes of the game to work on pass plays, practice a 2 minute drill, and work on any other areas the coaching staff deemed necassary. Kind of like a live practice with defenders out there. Travis Jones is an excellent player and has already proven to us this year that he is a hard nose runner and play maker on this team, so instead of just hanging the ball off to him running out the last 4 minutes why not and let some of the other players get a chance at one of the areas listed above. Run plays that you typically would not to try those out in a "game situation". Is that clearer?
Wildcat89 Wrote:I don't see any of those in this thread. This is a website for people to state their thoughts and feelings about a game and that is what is being stated here by me and others. I do agree that you must monitor what you say for the common decency of others reading these posts though. I suppose if you don't like what is being said you have two choices: 1) Post your thoughts about the topic and explain your side of the case 2) Don't read the post. I am in no way trying to disrespect you fball (because I do enjoy and appreciate your post about the games) but that's just the facts of the cold world that we live in these days.

No disrespect taken. Everybody is not always going to agree with a coach and I don't always agree either. But alot of these critics have no idea what they are talking about. I agree with flav, it's annoying. Some of it is OK. Too conservative? I can see that argument. Too predictable? I can see that one as well. Quitting on his team? I think not. What is funny to me is the people that get on here with some personal agenda and act as if they know more about what happens in games or practice than the coaching staff.

If people want to complain I'm fine with that. I would just prefer the criticism be of something they actually knew about.
pagan Wrote:People have been question Ivan's coaching for 30 some years and the man wins, wins, wins......This year's Russell is not a typical Red Devil team this year...they aren't as good as they've been the last few years.....and yet they still have a winning a record and will most likely finish the season 7-3 with a sub par team and 2nd in their district...that's usually considered a good coaching job....Russell fans will miss that man when he goes whether they want to admit it or not...bank on it :yikes:

I beg to differ! Have you ever seen the coaching staff give up before the game is over! The kids and fans had not given up. I agree that Ivan McGlone WAS a great coach!
flavorflav Wrote:People are looking at this game wrong....coaching didn't cost this game turnovers did...fumbles man.....and apparently Mason Co. is the best team in the state....Russell has a shot when it comes playoff time...keep em healthy and who knows...Red Devil fans are hard to appease.:moon:

Fumbles caused no adjustments being made. Ridiculas play calling AGAIN! 3rd and inches on the 50 and we punt the ball? When something is not working, usually a adjusment should be considered. The best thing that could happen to Russell is if thier headsets would tear up!
4real Wrote:Fumbles caused no adjustments being made. Ridiculas play calling AGAIN! 3rd and inches on the 50 and we punt the ball? When something is not working, usually a adjusment should be considered. The best thing that could happen to Russell is if thier headsets would tear up!
You've got to be kidding 3rd & inches & Russell punts the ball?
FBALL Wrote:If people want to complain I'm fine with that. I would just prefer the criticism be of something they actually knew about.

Agreed on this statement! :Thumbs:
charliez Wrote:You've got to be kidding 3rd & inches & Russell punts the ball?
Not kidding. Mistaken.

Mason County did quick kick on 3rd and long in the second half but nobody punted on 3rd and short.
FBALL Wrote:Not kidding. Mistaken.

Mason County did quick kick on 3rd and long in the second half but nobody punted on 3rd and short.

i see you pay about as much attention as the radio announcers. it happened in the 1st quarter.. the only mistake was inches may have been a yard.
Like I said, mistaken.
russ should have won, they had many mistakes and turn overs.
Alright ,Russell did or did not punt on 3rd. down?
[quote=charliez]Alright ,Russell did or did not punt on 3rd. down?[/QUOTE

No. Everyone thought Mason co. did because they had a grounding penalty which is is loss of down. The score board operator was awful, kept 3 down on scoeboard but it was really 4th down.