Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mason County 34 Russell 21
final
Mason should have beat Russell worse with as many mistakes as Russell made tonight.
6 fumbles 3 lost, blocked punt at the 10 yard line, roughing the kicker:ChairHit:

and I know thats not all but just some of the mistakes Russell had

7 penilties for 115 yards

oh and we lost a onside kick as well
Patrick Cooper went out with a concussion.
On a positive note I think Travis Jones got his 86 yards to break the 1,000 yard mark rushing if not hes darn close.
Nice win Royals
I think Jones was well over 100 yards with three TDs

The penalties and fumbles are killers. There is really no excuse for it. I know the coaches are not on the field and I believe they are one of the best coaching staffs around but the blame has to fall back to them. There has got to be a way to get this group of kids to stop making silly mental mistakes and the unforced fumbles.

Also Sparks needs to be the QB. He doesn't run particularly well and doesn't have a strong arm but what he does have is a good head on his shoulders and an apparent grasp of what to do and more importantly what not to do when running this offense. He guides Russell back into the game and is pulled in the fourth quarter. IF it were up to me I would stick with the steady senior even though others may have more physical ability. To me Sparks has earned the job.

Mason County is a very good team and will be a force to be reckoned with. Russell if they can cut down on the errors could be just as dangerous. This team has yet to put together a full game. There are times they just seem to get in their own way.

The most impressive things I take from this game are that Pawsat,Harris and Jones are players plain and simple. That and that this Russell team has more grit than last year. It shows me alot that they did not give up against a very, very good team after a disasterous start.

Congratulations to Mason County and way to fight Russell. I hope we get to see a rematch in the playoffs.
The roughing the kicker on the punt with 7 something remaining sure hurt.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:The roughing the kicker on the punt with 7 something remaining sure hurt.
Thats an understatement.

I know a blocked punt in that situation would have been huge but kids have to be more aware than that and not take any chances.
I am as impressed with Russell's fight in the 2nd Half more than anything. The past couple years those Russell teams would have packed it in and got beat by 5 or 6 TD's... definitely a positive for Devil fans to build off.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I am as impressed with Russell's fight in the 2nd Half more than anything. The past couple years those Russell teams would have packed it in and got beat by 5 or 6 TD's... definitely a positive for Devil fans to build off.

Last years team would have definitely folded as they did against Belfry in the playoffs. They were talented but a bunch of headcases that cared more abouy stats than wins.

The fight in this team is a positive but if they want to accomplish their goals they are going to have to cut out the mental mistakes and put together a complete game.

Russell is not a bad team. They have lost to Ironton, Ashland and now Mason County. I don't believe they will lose another game in the regular season.
FBALL Wrote:I think Jones was well over 100 yards with three TDs

The penalties and fumbles are killers. There is really no excuse for it. I know the coaches are not on the field and I believe they are one of the best coaching staffs around but the blame has to fall back to them. There has got to be a way to get this group of kids to stop making silly mental mistakes and the unforced fumbles.

Also Sparks needs to be the QB. He doesn't run particularly well and doesn't have a strong arm but what he does have is a good head on his shoulders and an apparent grasp of what to do and more importantly what not to do when running this offense. He guides Russell back into the game and is pulled in the fourth quarter. IF it were up to me I would stick with the steady senior even though others may have more physical ability. To me Sparks has earned the job.

Mason County is a very good team and will be a force to be reckoned with. Russell if they can cut down on the errors could be just as dangerous. This team has yet to put together a full game. There are times they just seem to get in their own way.

The most impressive things I take from this game are that Pawsat,Harris and Jones are players plain and simple. That and that this Russell team has more grit than last year. It shows me alot that they did not give up against a very, very good team after a disasterous start.

Congratulations to Mason County and way to fight Russell. I hope we get to see a rematch in the playoffs.

Well said.

The Good: TRAVIS JONES
Travis Jones is the best running back we've seen at Russell in a while. I never thought I'd say that prior to the season or even earlier this year, but it's pretty clear he's good...extremely good! Also, the team didn't quit. They've got a chance to (1) get revenge against Raceland in a big way and (2) make some noise in the playoffs if they come out of the locker room angry and embarrassed like they were tonight.

The Bad: THE ROTATING QB's
The QB situation has reached the point of the ridiculous. I was all for giving Dehoff the first chance earlier in the season because he clearly looks the part more than the others. However, he had his chance and simply didn't win the job. Neither Cooper or Roark have stood out, either. In fact, the fumbled snaps in the 1st half tonight were unacceptable. If the coaches give the job to Sparks now, though, it is pretty much an admission that they were flat out wrong in the way they handled the situation all year because most everyone expected Sparks to be the QB from the beginning of the year. The chemistry of the offense could be miles ahead of where they are had the settled on him earlier this year and been done with it. Maybe we would even have a passing game? If not Sparks, then I vote we just go Wildcat and snap it directly to Jones from here on out. :biggrin:

The Ugly: MISTAKES
The fumbles. The penalites. The blocked punt. The roughing the kicker. The explosive plays given up on defense. Ridiculous. Absurd. It's the eight game of the season for the district title. Please.
goreddevils Wrote:6 fumbles 3 lost, blocked punt at the 10 yard line, roughing the kicker:chairhit:

And i know thats not all but just some of the mistakes russell had

7 penilties for 115 yards

oh and we lost a onside kick as well

ouch....keep ya heads up and learn from your mistakes.
ryanparker Wrote:Well said.

The Good: TRAVIS JONES
Travis Jones is the best running back we've seen at Russell in a while. I never thought I'd say that prior to the season or even earlier this year, but it's pretty clear he's good...extremely good! Also, the team didn't quit. They've got a chance to (1) get revenge against Raceland in a big way and (2) make some noise in the playoffs if they come out of the locker room angry and embarrassed like they were tonight.

The Bad: THE ROTATING QB's
The QB situation has reached the point of the ridiculous. I was all for giving Dehoff the first chance earlier in the season because he clearly looks the part more than the others. However, he had his chance and simply didn't win the job. Neither Cooper or Roark have stood out, either. In fact, the fumbled snaps in the 1st half tonight were unacceptable. If the coaches give the job to Sparks now, though, it is pretty much an admission that they were flat out wrong in the way they handled the situation all year because most everyone expected Sparks to be the QB from the beginning of the year. The chemistry of the offense could be miles ahead of where they are had the settled on him earlier this year and been done with it. Maybe we would even have a passing game? If not Sparks, then I vote we just go Wildcat and snap it directly to Jones from here on out. :biggrin:

The Ugly: MISTAKES
The fumbles. The penalites. The blocked punt. The roughing the kicker. The explosive plays given up on defense. Ridiculous. Absurd. It's the eight game of the season for the district title. Please.

The staff I think has tried to find a way to keep a running threat at QB. Unfortuanately Sparks is not that. Cooper has big play potential. Dehoff has all of the physical tools. Roark runs fairly well and is a tough kid but very restricted in the passing game.

What Sparks does do better than the others right now is run the offense and not make mistakes that are drive killers. I think its time to go with it and just leave the senior in to run the team. I don't think it was a mistake to give the more athletic kids a chance but they have not out performed Sparks. I don't believe the coaching staff would be afraid to admit that.
I love Ivan but I'm really starting to doubt the coaching. Why would you pull Sparks out when he ran the offense well and they Scored. He was hanging on to the wet ball which was more than Cooper had done (I hope he is okay). and I have no idea why they would put in Roark. Nice kid I'm sure but adds nothing to the offense.

Aside from that - the coaches gave up before the game was over! Almost 3 minutes to go and one time out and they run the ball And end the game without taking the timeout.

Fault with mistakes/penalities continuing into game 8 needs to be blamed on all of the coaches. Maybe for a kicker they can find QB #5 now that Cooper may be out?

The positive - the team. They didn't give up until they saw their coaches give up.

Kick Lewis' cans and get back on track. It still a great group of kids that seem to really enjoy playing football and enjoy their team mates.
Someone tell the D ends to quit crashing down so hard. We're getting burned on the sweeps and reverses now. I do think our pass defense is stronger than I've seen it in several years.
FBALL Wrote:The staff I think has tried to find a way to keep a running threat at QB. Unfortuanately Sparks is not that. Cooper has big play potential. Dehoff has all of the physical tools. Roark runs fairly well and is a tough kid but very restricted in the passing game.

What Sparks does do better than the others right now is run the offense and not make mistakes that are drive killers. I think its time to go with it and just leave the senior in to run the team. I don't think it was a mistake to give the more athletic kids a chance but they have not out performed Sparks. I don't believe the coaching staff would be afraid to admit that.

I can see how it would be nice to have a running threat at QB. As you said, though, none of the 3 underclassmen have stood out. One look at the season cumulative stats tells you that. I honestly don't care who the QB is. I just hope we see the same QB for all 4 quarters of these final 2 games heading into the playoffs. The lack of consistency seems like it would be detrimental at this point. Maybe that's why we're seeing more false starts this year.
ryanparker Wrote:Well said.

The Good: ....

The Ugly:.

Nice post as always Mr. Parker.
RedDevil1981 Wrote:I love Ivan but I'm really starting to doubt the coaching. Why would you pull Sparks out when he ran the offense well and they Scored. He was hanging on to the wet ball which was more than Cooper had done (I hope he is okay). and I have no idea why they would put in Roark. Nice kid I'm sure but adds nothing to the offense.

Aside from that - the coaches gave up before the game was over! Almost 3 minutes to go and one time out and they run the ball And end the game without taking the timeout.

Fault with mistakes/penalities continuing into game 8 needs to be blamed on all of the coaches. Maybe for a kicker they can find QB #5 now that Cooper may be out?

The positive - the team. They didn't give up until they saw their coaches give up.

Kick Lewis' cans and get back on track. It still a great group of kids that seem to really enjoy playing football and enjoy their team mates.

I don't know but I would think that Roark was inserted because of his running ability. He is not a passing QB. Maybe the thought was with Roark they could bust a big play. It just didn't happen and with the weather tonight Russell was not going to be able to throw the ball and move it down the field in the final minutes. That to me is not giving up it is just playing the hand you are dealt.

The penalties are unexcusable and It is time to let Sparks take the QB spot IMO.
ryanparker Wrote:I can see how it would be nice to have a running threat at QB. As you said, though, none of the 3 underclassmen have stood out. One look at the season cumulative stats tells you that. I honestly don't care who the QB is. I just hope we see the same QB for all 4 quarters of these final 2 games heading into the playoffs. The lack of consistency seems like it would be detrimental at this point. Maybe that's why we're seeing more false starts this year.
I think it is a reason for the procedure penalties. They all have a different cadence and it does make a difference. Like I said, if its me at this point, I would go with the senior who although not as physically talented has been by far the most consistant of the bunch.
I don't know but I would think that Roark was inserted because of his running ability. He is not a passing QB. Maybe the thought was with Roark they could bust a big play. It just didn't happen and with the weather tonight Russell was not going to be able to throw the ball and move it down the field in the final minutes. That to me is not giving up it is just playing the hand you are dealt.

The penalties are unexcusable and It is time to let Sparks take the QB spot IMO.[/QUOTE]

Roark is not fast, big, or strong. Good kid, good baseball player but not a runner or a QB. They needed someone who can hold on to the ball and throw down the field.

You have to try for a win - you owe it to the players, especially the seniors. 13 points down in game 8 you lose nothing but pride if you try to throw a wet ball. Sparks was hanging on to the ball for the snap and handoff I'm sure he would have had a good chance to get it down the field. With 3 minutes and a time out you don't need a hail Mary you need to stop the clock at the downs by getting out of bounds and with incomplete passes. I respect your opinion but I would take a 5% chance at winning a big game over the 95% chance of losing by 20 instead of 13. I would talk about playing the hand I'm dealt after the game not with 3 minutes remaining and every kid on the team looking to see if I'm giving up.
I do enjoy your posts so I don't mean to be disrespectful.
FBALL Wrote:I don't know but I would think that Roark was inserted because of his running ability. He is not a passing QB. Maybe the thought was with Roark they could bust a big play. It just didn't happen and with the weather tonight Russell was not going to be able to throw the ball and move it down the field in the final minutes. That to me is not giving up it is just playing the hand you are dealt.

The penalties are unexcusable and It is time to let Sparks take the QB spot IMO.

I, too, have the utmost faith in the Russell coaching staff, but have you ever seen this many QB's get this much playing time not due to a rash of injuries? I wouldn't even call it a QB controversy. Usually, that's between 2 guys who have similar skills. This whole season has been one big long QB tryout session saved by the spectacular running of Travis Jones. Let me say that again...he has been absolutely phenomenal. They really might as well try the Wildcat offense with Travis Jones back there.

Do you really think the coaches thought Roark was going to "bust a big play"? I haven't seen any signs of that sort of ability from him this year. He seems like a decent QB, but certainly not explosive.

Our votes don't count, but I cast mine with yours. I say play Sparks the remainder of the year at QB. This lets Dehoff and Cooper (hopefully he can come back) rest for defense. Maybe we can practice a couple of pass plays that Sparks can complete, too. Perhaps this will make up for his lack of running ability.
congrats to mc
Russell 0 7 14 0 21

Mason Co. 21 7 0 6 34

Scoring summary:
M--Josh Harris 84 run (Jordan Gilbert kick); M--Gilbert 64 run (Gilbert kick); M--Neal Pawsat 4 run (Gilbert kick); M--Harris 1 run (Gilbert kick); R--Travis Jones 4 run (Tanner Locey kick); R--Jones 4 run (Locey kick); R--Jones 2 run (Locey kick); M--Harris 2 run (kick failed).
Records: Mason Co. 7-0, Russell 5-3.

More details: Sophomore running back Josh Harris ran 18 times for 177 yards and three touchdowns to help the host Royals stay undefeated and hand the Red Devils their first district loss.

Harris scored first on an 84-yard touchdown run and Mason County jumped out to a 21-0 lead in the first quarter. Russell closed the gap to 28-21 before Jones scored on a 2-yard run in the fourth quarter to put the game away.
Kentucky.com
By RAY SCHAEFER — For The Independent
MAYSVILLE — Josh Harris carried a sledgehammer as he led Mason County into the stands Friday.

Harris led the Royals on the field, too. He ran through visiting Russell’s defense for 167 yards and three touchdowns in a 34-21 Class 3A District 7 win.

Good thing Mason County had Harris. His yards helped neutralize Russell’s 21 unanswered points in the second and third quarters and senior Travis Jones’ 195 rushing yards.

“I’m encouraged our kids didn’t totally lay down and quit,” Russell coach Ivan McGlone said. “I’m not very happy with what we did the first half.”

McGlone was talking about Mason County taking a 21-0 lead after one quarter. Or perhaps it was Russell losing three of four fumbles in the first quarter (the Red Devils fumbled six altogether).

One other thing hurt Russell — seven penalties for 115 for the game. Mason County’s 343 total yards also outdistanced Russell’s 276.

“They have speed, and we couldn’t handle it, it’s as simple as that,” McGlone said. “We just didn’t do a good job defensively.”

Two plays after Russell (5-3, 2-1) recovered a Harris fumble, Red Devil quarterback Patrick Cooper duplicated the error. Two plays later Harris swept around right end 84 yards for the score.

Harris also had a part in the Royals’ next touchdown. He ran right and tossed to junior Jordan Gilbert, who went 70 yards down the left sideline with 6:42 to go. McGlone said the defense over-pursued but should have had someone contain Gilbert.

The toss to Gilbert was more fun to Harris than his long run.

“Having an assist is real fun because watching the entire defense come after you … and then somebody else is usually walking in,” Harris said.

A little less than three minutes and five plays later, Mason County quarterback Neal Pawsat converted a Will Rice fumble for a 5-yard touchdown.

Mason County (7-0, 2-0) ran for 205 yards in the first half compared to Russell’s 77 and out-gained the Red Devils 267-59.

After Harris’1-yard run early in the made it 28-0 early in the second quarter, Russell closed to 28-21 with 2:46 left in the third quarter on Jones’ two 4-yard runs and a 3-yarder.

“I’m real impressed with him,” Mason County coach David Buchanan said of Jones. “Normally a Wing-T back doesn’t do that well in the mud, but by gosh he sure did do it.”

Harris closed the scoring with a 2-yard run 85 seconds into the fourth quarter. He carried six times for 32 yards in the drive.

With the win, Mason County, the top team in the Associated Press Class 3A rankings, took a half-game lead in the district.

The way McGlone sees it, Russell’s task is clear: beat Lewis County next week and Raceland on Oct. 23 to secure the No. 2 seed in the district and a home game in the playoffs.

“Our goal is to at least come in second in the district and go from there,” McGlone said.
[Image: http://static.cnhi.zope.net/images/icons/printicon.gif] <script type="text/javascript"> var gtvt_partner_id='lddglP9kZt4='; var gtvt_hide_fbapp=0; var gtvt_hide_clip=0; var gtvt_hide_social=0; var gtvt_email_note="Check this out..."; //var gtvt_border_color="#000000"; //var gtvt_shadow_color="#eeeeee"; //var gtvt_banner_color="#eeeeee"; </script> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdn.grouptivity.com/main/api/webjs/js/share.js"></script> [Image: http://grouptivityread.appspot.com/image...at%20Mason]
Mason County 34, Russell 21: Sophomore running back Josh Harris ran 18 times for 177 yards and three touchdowns to help the host Royals stay undefeated and hand the Red Devils their first district loss. Harris scored first on an 84-yard touchdown run and Mason County jumped out to a 21-0 lead in the first quarter. Russell closed the gap to 28-21 before Jones scored on a 2-yard run in the fourth quarter to put the game away.
Kentucky.com
I dont see why everyone is saying "Sparks is not a runner" when has he had a chance to run the ball? I have seen one carry this year for him other then the qb sneak and kneeling at the end of the games. You cant judge a players running ability with just one carry.

Thats not disrespectful. Let me clarify a little bit. Roark is not big, he is not that fast and he does not have great arm. He is shifty and a better runner than Sparks. If it would have been me I would leave Sparks in. I was only throwing out possibilities to what the coaching staff may have been thinking. I don't know that for sure but that is the only logical conclusion I could come up with.

devil guy 316. I think Brandon would tell you he is not a great runner. That is not a judgement made on one carry.

What Sparks is is a leader and a steady hand behind center. He won't win a game on his own but he is not going to lose it for you either. He is a good kid, a smart kid and I think he has earned the right to run the offense.
RedDevil1981 Wrote:Someone tell the D ends to quit crashing down so hard. We're getting burned on the sweeps and reverses now. I do think our pass defense is stronger than I've seen it in several years.

I totally agree. But if you watch the years past. This is wear they are told to line up at. They are beat before the ball is even snapped. Look at all the past film and you will see. As for the coaches quitting. This started long before last night or last year. I"ve yet to see a coach fireup some kids to get them motivated. How many times have we seen Ivan and clan start walking to the locker room or off the field when we had the ball and time still on the clock. Heck at the Ironton game. The kids were in the huddle with 28 seconds left before half and Ivan and clan starts walking across the field. Give the "PLAYERS" credit for hanging in there.
As for the QB. I said long ago that they should give Saprks a chance, which he has not all year, even last night they pull him when he gets the team rolling???????? But this is IVAN's team.
Sparks should have been there all along and let DeHoff adjust in the later qtrs of the games. Move Hutch to center and the snaps will be taken care of. Nothing against Marr but put him on defense. They teach to hold the line and he is one of the strongest on the team.
Finally got to go to a game. Most of you I agree with and I have said all along, Sparks should be the QB. But how is he not a runner? When has he been given a chance to run? Last year in J.V. and varsity he seemed to do just fine. Somebody said he was the only one to score in their first 2 j.v. games last year running the bootleg. This year, 2 actual bootleg attempts I believe and people say he can't run????? But yet last night I saw the kid catch up (from 10 or 15 yds. back) to Jones on one of his long runs to help block. Saw him get out in front of the reverse and block. Seemed to have the speed anyway. Now, For the first time his passes were not that great. The first one was open and thrown behind. The second he was pressured but also thrown behind. Chalk it up to sitting on the bench maybe.

The defense played pretty good. The 3 turnovers in the 1st quarter was killer. Two of them were deep in Russell territory and set up easy TD's for Mason. That and the roughing the punter were the biggies to me.

Russell was not ready to play in especially the 1st quarter and most of the 1st half. I watched Mason fired up on their sidelines prior to kick-off and their was nothing on the Russell sideline. No fist bumping, no pad pounding, no enthusiasm, no high fives, NOTHING.... Mason was fired up and wanted a piece of us and let it show.

That, and with nearly 4 minutes to go in the game the Russell coaching staff quit. They started subbing and running basic plays. Nearly 4 minutes to go and down 13 points and they pack it in. I have seen alot of crazy things happen in 2 minutes let alone almost 4. I was shocked, disappointed and embarrassed. The coaching staff quit. I actually did not catch on to this at first. Another fan pointed this out to me. I was still crying over the roughing the punter. It was a good call just upset it happened and was talking on the phone and telling somebody about it. Then I heard someone say the coaches packed it in and have quit. Started paying attention again and was shocked to see they were right. Ivan McGlone deserves all the accolades he gets and is a hall of fame coach, but that was down right awful.