Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Russell
18.37%
Ashland
81.63%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashland @ Russell 9/11
luvthegame Wrote:Toss out previous games and records. Its gonna be who wants it more.

I think you are right!!
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:the ironton game will help this team if they allow it they can roll over and die or can use it as motivation to not let it happen again and play sound football its all up to the players on this team

I think so to Tomcatfan, it is entirly up to the players.
Ashland-38
Russell-27
Ashland
Russell needs to get thier heads on straight and only look ahead. The talent is there, there is no question about that.

hey does anyone know the how the Kiwanis bowl winning are with the Seniors, jrs. and sph. of these teams?
FBALL Wrote:There are no issues to take antbidys mind away from the game.

One loss to the best team in the area and the drama queens come out.

I think Russell's defense will cause Ashland alot of problems. The key will be if Russell can find an answer on offense. It should be a low scoring game.

C'mon fball russell hasn't lost to ashland yet lol
didn't see EC game but heard Russell didn't hit much. Saw Greenup and Ironton. Greenup ok hitting wise, Ironton game....Russell never stopped despite the score and had some dandies....just never on 28
ryanparker Wrote:I think you're right. Not trying to be the master of the obvious, but it's going to be important for Russell to find a way to score.

Last year, it seemed as if Ashland had numerous defenders on the ball carrier as soon as he got the ball. I would imagine the same speed that Ashland brought last year is still there and probably even better.

Do you think it will help that we got experience of being swarmed on almost every play last week against Ironton? Maybe we'll know what not to do now! :biggrin: In all seriousness, though, I would imagine we'll see the old familiar plays. It will just be up to the players to execute them to perfection.

What makes you think this year's defense is going to slow down Ashland? Don't get me wrong. I really hope they do, but last year Ashland ran for 321 yards against us, scored 36 points, and that was with them fumbling the ball 6 times and turning it over 3.

I hope Russell is ready to give a maximum effort all game long on both sides of the ball Friday. It will be needed.

First off I think Russells defense is better this year than it was last year. I know that sounds strange after giving up 45 points.

Ashland did have 321 yards against Russell last year. Carter had the majority of them and Demartino Racked up the last 80 or so with a minute left in the game on that last TD run when the entire defense just quit and let him go. I take that back 9 out of the 11 on the field quit and let him go. It was a simple run out the clock play and the defense just stopped. I don't think this team has near the attitude problem as last year. So if the if they tackle DeMartino on that one play they score 29 points, some of which were scored by special teams and gain only 240 yards. Those aren't bad numbers.

Again I liked the way the defense hit against Ironton. They took some chances on blitzes and it burned them some but they had to try to force something with the defense because the offense wasn't going to move the ball with any consistancy.

For Russell to win they will have to play better on offense. At least sustain some drives and get the defense off of the field. You can't go 3 and out every time and expect to win. They also can't let Ashlands defense and special teams have the big plays. I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of different formations and I know of a few plays that Russell has run in the past that would slow Ashland's defense down some.

I think this is going to be a low scoring game. A hard hitting game. The winner doesn't break 20.
That's funny Fball, if you could Find a way to take back a few more scores and some more yards it would be about even. Carter being gone has had zero effect (while it is a shame) Ashland has more than replaced him an moved on! Boy would it be nice to be able to remove parts of a game an pretend they didn't happen. I know Ashland has had a few of those! Ashlands special teams play has been huge an wiil continue to be, I look for at least one or two from there.
The Devils don't have a bulls eye on their backs for nothing. It may not happen but I have a feeling if these guys smell blood Friday they will take advantage of the situation. Football is all that's going on within the team & football it is. These guys didn't play all their lives to lay down now. I saw it asked earlier so who did win these seniors Kiwanis bowl as freshmen.
charliez Wrote:The Devils don't have a bulls eye on their backs for nothing. It may not happen but I have a feeling if these guys smell blood Friday they will take advantage of the situation. Football is all that's going on within the team & football it is. These guys didn't play all their lives to lay down now. I saw it asked earlier so who did win these seniors Kiwanis bowl as freshmen.

WHO CARES? I honestly don't remember and it is irrelevant anyway.
BADCAT74 Wrote:WHO CARES? I honestly don't remember and it is irrelevant anyway.
Kind of like when Ashland was winning games when Howdy Doody was on?:biggrin:
BADCAT74 Wrote:That's funny Fball, if you could Find a way to take back a few more scores and some more yards it would be about even. Carter being gone has had zero effect (while it is a shame) Ashland has more than replaced him an moved on! Boy would it be nice to be able to remove parts of a game an pretend they didn't happen. I know Ashland has had a few of those! Ashlands special teams play has been huge an wiil continue to be, I look for at least one or two from there.
I wasn't removing any of it. It happened and it was shameful. You saw it. I hope all of the Russell players remember it too. Ryan asked what I thought and I gave him an honest answer.

Carter maybe replace but when everything was clicking he provided something that noone else on the team could. He is dynamic. I think the Special teams may be the deciding factor. Russell has a ways to go to catch up on that one. They need to come out ready for anything.
badcat74 Wrote:who cares? I honestly don't remember and it is irrelevant anyway.
russell seniors won 6-0 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
charliez Wrote:The Devils don't have a bulls eye on their backs for nothing. It may not happen but I have a feeling if these guys smell blood Friday they will take advantage of the situation. Football is all that's going on within the team & football it is. These guys didn't play all their lives to lay down now. I saw it asked earlier so who did win these seniors Kiwanis bowl as freshmen.

I'm sorry but the devils do not have the bulls eye that is on a 3-0 ashland team in this one you r the hunters not the hunted
mightydog Wrote:Lets see, football,wresling,track,sounds like 3 diffrent sports to me.

yes but the only reason the kids did it were to get better at football
Ashland's speed and disciplined play will be trouble for Russell this year....this is just gonna be down year for Red Devils i fear....i thinnk the Tomcats rout the Devils
Ashland 35 - Russell 14
Ashland 42-14
Twitter: @tc_analytics

I think that russell will give ashland a better game than most people think im taking russell in this one 24-21
ryanparker Wrote:I know it all means nothing, but I look forward to seeing how good Ashland really is. I was just trying to express my hopes that they aren't as good as Ironton, because that team was devastating.

I realize, too, that Russell has played with pride this year. I hope you didn't think I was trying to insinuate they hadn't. The only way this team is going to lose is if they are extremely out-talented on the field. It won't be for lack of effort.

I enjoy watching this year's team play and I think they are going to continue to have a great season.

Trust me.......Ashland is not even close to being as good as Ironton. Now as for the Assland vs the evils. Would it be to much for me to hope that they both lose?
FBALL Wrote:Kind of like when Ashland was winning games when Howdy Doody was on?:biggrin:

Replies: 83
Raceland @ Ashland Blazer Aug. 28
Views: 1,137
Posted By FBALL
Since 1970 Russell holds a 19-17 advantage in the...

Since 1970 Russell holds a 19-17 advantage in the series with Ashland. Russell also has well over 500 wins as a program as well. Raceland I'm sure has close to 500 wins so I would say they more than...

Where do you think those 500 wins came from? If you don't count the oldies that takes off at least 100 can't have it both ways either they count or they don't.:biggrin:
BADCAT74 Wrote:Replies: 83
Raceland @ Ashland Blazer Aug. 28
Views: 1,137
Posted By FBALL
Since 1970 Russell holds a 19-17 advantage in the...

Since 1970 Russell holds a 19-17 advantage in the series with Ashland. Russell also has well over 500 wins as a program as well. Raceland I'm sure has close to 500 wins so I would say they more than...

Where do you think those 500 wins came from? If you don't count the oldies that takes off at least 100 can't have it both ways either they count or they don't.:biggrin:

You were the one that asked who cared because you don't remember. So now is it only things that we can remember that we care about or is it what's convenient?
:biggrin:
BADCAT74 Wrote:WHO CARES? I honestly don't remember and it is irrelevant anyway.

Your irrelevant. child :please:
http://2006kiwanisbowl.blogspot.com/ Check out the pic. of who they are giving the trophy to..#23
FBALL Wrote:You were the one that asked who cared because you don't remember. So now is it only things that we can remember that we care about or is it what's convenient?

I think. He means irrelavant because the kiwanis bowl has no baring on this game but the wins for these schools on both sides are relevant the state doesn't keep freshman wins but keeps track of all the varsity wins so that makes them relevant no matter when they occured
FBALL Wrote:You were the one that asked who cared because you don't remember. So now is it only things that we can remember that we care about or is it what's convenient?

We got in this debate a while ago about team records, we talked about the Russell vs Ashland series I brought up that Ashland leads 32-19, But you brought up the time table of somewhere between 25-35 yrs at different times we have talked about it, that Russell leads Ashland in your span 18-17? something like that, Then I was talking about total wins for Ashland is just over 600, then you brought up that Russell was close to Ashland with around 500, Please explain to me how that works if you go back 25-35 yrs thats not far enough for around 500 wins. Maybe 300+
BADCAT74 Wrote:We got in this debate a while ago about team records, we talked about the Russell vs Ashland series I brought up that Ashland leads 32-19, But you brought up the time table of somewhere between 25-35 yrs at different times we have talked about it, that Russell leads Ashland in your span 18-17? something like that, Then I was talking about total wins for Ashland is just over 600, then you brought up that Russell was close to Ashland with around 500, Please explain to me how that works if you go back 25-35 yrs thats not far enough for around 500 wins. Maybe 300+

I think you are letting your arguments run together.:blabbermo

By the way you know the time range was because I made the remark about most of Ashland's wins came before color TV. Ancient history just seemed irrelevant.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:I'm sorry but the devils do not have the bulls eye that is on a 3-0 ashland team in this one you r the hunters not the hunted

Actually this is a HUGE game for both of the teams. It will be a big game for Ashland becuase of the fact that they are 3-0 but at the same time it is a huge test for the Russell players in seeing how they bounce back from the Ironton game. So in all honesty both teams have the bulls eye on there back.

Go Devils! :rockon:
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:I think. He means irrelavant because the kiwanis bowl has no baring on this game but the wins for these schools on both sides are relevant the state doesn't keep freshman wins but keeps track of all the varsity wins so that makes them relevant no matter when they occured
Quit trying to be relevant in an irrelevant case of trash talking. You zapping the fun out of it.:ChairHit:
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:yes but the only reason the kids did it were to get better at football

That is still counted as three sports or else the would have just named all three of those sports "football". It is a good idea to have the players out doing some kind of phsyical activity though. Sitting at home playing NCAA 2010 is not going to help any of the players in becoming better football players.