Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Russell
18.37%
Ashland
81.63%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashland @ Russell 9/11
Can Russell get Revenge at home for the 36-10 loss from last year to long standing Rival Ashland?

thoughts/predictions
I think it will be a good matchup. Ashland will obviously be the favorite and rightfully so. A big key will be if Russell is healthy after the game with Ironton. I know Will Rice was injured but I'm not sure how serious it was. Hopefully both teams come in at full strength and we see the kind of Russell/Ashland game we have grown used to seeing, an all out fight to the end.
I am too gunshy to pick this game yet after watching the Ironton game tonight. I'm still telling my eyes to believe what I saw!

All I know is Ashland beat Greenup badly. So did Russell. Ashland beat Raceland badly, but Raceland lost to Fleming County tonight...so how good are they? Ashland beat Belfry, who is apparently down this year. Belfry beat Boyd County by 14, but Pike County Central beat Boyd County by 10.

Even though there is no degrees of separation between Ashland and Ironton, I think it all adds up to me thinking Ashland can't be as good as Ironton, which makes me feel a little better!

I do think this Russell team will play with some pride next week. It should be interesting.
Tomcats in a close one.
Hard pick for me. I want to think Russell will pull off the upset. However, Ashland will probably just run the same D they did last year and it will get ugly again. They have tons of speed on defense. Russell has very little speed at all. No passing game to speak of, sadly, I think its twice as bad as it was last year. I look for Russell to struggle to get 100 yds of offense once again.

They might double their first downs in the first half though and get 2!
i will take asland,belfry game with boyd could ahve been lot worse i just watch the film on wedsday, should have scored to more tds in 1st half, but anyway
Honestly the tomcats are going to dominate this game although I hate to say it...
Ashland has improved immensely over that past few years whereas the devils have noticably declined...... I don't think that Russell has the running speed and power to keep up with the kitties
Tomcats by 2 td's
I hate to say it, but Ashland by 3-4 tds unless they can find a way to keep their defense off the field. Ashland by all acounts seems to be a lesser version of Ironto with speed and size. Russell has got to find a way to get some offense going.
ryanparker Wrote:I am too gunshy to pick this game yet after watching the Ironton game tonight. I'm still telling my eyes to believe what I saw!

All I know is Ashland beat Greenup badly. So did Russell. Ashland beat Raceland badly, but Raceland lost to Fleming County tonight...so how good are they? Ashland beat Belfry, who is apparently down this year. Belfry beat Boyd County by 14, but Pike County Central beat Boyd County by 10.

Even though there is no degrees of separation between Ashland and Ironton, I think it all adds up to me thinking Ashland can't be as good as Ironton, which makes me feel a little better!

I do think this Russell team will play with some pride next week. It should be interesting.

Sorry Parker but all that means nothing!!

It will be a very tough matchup for the Devils.. The Devils has played with pride all year long. That wont change!
mightydog Wrote:I hate to say it, but Ashland by 3-4 tds unless they can find a way to keep their defense off the field. Ashland by all acounts seems to be a lesser version of Ironto with speed and size. Russell has got to find a way to get some offense going.

I agree, I am not sure why the offense has become a problem for Russell this year. Normally that is thier strongest. The question is who is Russell's first string QB? After the third game there should be no question. I like Dehoff the best.
I like Ashland in this one 24-14
ttt
4real Wrote:I agree, I am not sure why the offense has become a problem for Russell this year. Normally that is thier strongest. The question is who is Russell's first string QB? After the third game there should be no question. I like Dehoff the best.

I would love to see one of the qb's rise to the occation. I would go with DeHoff for one reason only. I see him as being the future leader of the Devils. He is big and strong and has played well when he has been out there. He has two more years.
Ashland by 17.
I hate to say it so I won't-Russell wins & realizes they were beat last week by the best highschool football team in this area . Ironton will stomp everyone around here. Good luck Devils
Jeepman Wrote:I would love to see one of the qb's rise to the occation. I would go with DeHoff for one reason only. I see him as being the future leader of the Devils. He is big and strong and has played well when he has been out there. He has two more years.

I believe Dehoff to be the slightly better runner but Sparks is the Senior and the better passer. Take a senior over a sophomore any day when the talent level is so close. Plus that is the right thing to do. Very strange for Ivan to go this route. Usually he goes with seniors in these situations. People were hollering for Sparks to replace Cordle last year towards the end of the year and McGlone rightfully stayed with his senior. But now it is Sparks' turn. Dehoff will get his.
Leaning toward the kitties I'm afraid. The poor offense and inferior line play will give Ashland the edge. Grumblings in the Russell camp won't help either.
Smith and Taylor bright spots for Russell. After a slow start against EC K. Smith has been all over the field. N. Taylor is punting lights out and has looked good on some runs. Think he has a TD reception too.
Should be a good game, but I'll take the Tomcats by two touchdowns.

Best of luck to both!
Russell 28

Ashland 21
luvthegame Wrote:I believe Dehoff to be the slightly better runner but Sparks is the Senior and the better passer. Take a senior over a sophomore any day when the talent level is so close. Plus that is the right thing to do. Very strange for Ivan to go this route. Usually he goes with seniors in these situations. People were hollering for Sparks to replace Cordle last year towards the end of the year and McGlone rightfully stayed with his senior. But now it is Sparks' turn. Dehoff will get his.

DeHoff has a much stronger arm than Sparks does. I will give credit to Sparks though, he is very good/efficent at the little roll-out dump pass for 5-10 yards. If you are looking for a qb who is going to be able to stretch the field out and actually have a chance at getting the ball down the field, you are going to have to go with DeHoff. Just because one kid is a center and the other is a sophmore/junior has nothing to do with who should be starting. You have to not only look at the team for this year but what will be best for the team down the road. DeHoff just give's the team much more diversity with him sitting under center.

Im taking Russell 21-17 in this game though.

Go Devils!!!
I'm buying the Tomcats in this game. Here is my prediction score:

Ashland - 35
Russell - 21
luvthegame Wrote:I believe Dehoff to be the slightly better runner but Sparks is the Senior and the better passer. Take a senior over a sophomore any day when the talent level is so close. Plus that is the right thing to do. Very strange for Ivan to go this route. Usually he goes with seniors in these situations. People were hollering for Sparks to replace Cordle last year towards the end of the year and McGlone rightfully stayed with his senior. But now it is Sparks' turn. Dehoff will get his.

I for one really don't care who starts. It appears Ivan is having a hard time choosing. You can bet come district play the best will be under center.
Wildcat89 Wrote:DeHoff has a much stronger arm than Sparks does. I will give credit to Sparks though, he is very good/efficent at the little roll-out dump pass for 5-10 yards. If you are looking for a qb who is going to be able to stretch the field out and actually have a chance at getting the ball down the field, you are going to have to go with DeHoff. Just because one kid is a center and the other is a sophmore/junior has nothing to do with who should be starting. You have to not only look at the team for this year but what will be best for the team down the road. DeHoff just give's the team much more diversity with him sitting under center.

Im taking Russell 21-17 in this game though.

Go Devils!!!

Only thing I will disagree with is upperclassmen should get the nod unless the under classmen has flat out beat out the older one with no doubts. The only other issue I would throw in would be grades. But seniors and juniors should be taken care of first over Sophs and Frosh when all things are pretty equal.
4real Wrote:Sorry Parker but all that means nothing!!

It will be a very tough matchup for the Devils.. The Devils has played with pride all year long. That wont change!

I know it all means nothing, but I look forward to seeing how good Ashland really is. I was just trying to express my hopes that they aren't as good as Ironton, because that team was devastating.

I realize, too, that Russell has played with pride this year. I hope you didn't think I was trying to insinuate they hadn't. The only way this team is going to lose is if they are extremely out-talented on the field. It won't be for lack of effort.

I enjoy watching this year's team play and I think they are going to continue to have a great season.
I saw the sophmore and he looks like a really strong runner. Whichever one he is I would go with him - if you're out to win each year I think you could turn him into a good QB. Worst case you could put him in the backfield and let him run over people. Does anyone know if he is focused on one sport or a multi sport player?
ryanparker Wrote:I know it all means nothing, but I look forward to seeing how good Ashland really is. I was just trying to express my hopes that they aren't as good as Ironton, because that team was devastating.

I realize, too, that Russell has played with pride this year. I hope you didn't think I was trying to insinuate they hadn't. The only way this team is going to lose is if they are extremely out-talented on the field. It won't be for lack of effort.

I enjoy watching this year's team play and I think they are going to continue to have a great season.

Soooo, Russell? is the measuring stick? Ok, I'll just leave that one alone , see you Friday.:biggrin:
RedDevil1981 Wrote:I saw the sophmore and he looks like a really strong runner. Whichever one he is I would go with him - if you're out to win each year I think you could turn him into a good QB. Worst case you could put him in the backfield and let him run over people. Does anyone know if he is focused on one sport or a multi sport player?

Good question. Don't know the answer. I would like to see him running right at some people. Maybe give the Rice kid a breather every now and then. They both play on defense. Might help them both to get some breathers while on offense.
Ashland is too strong this year! I pick them by two td's but no more.