Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ranking Football Stadiums in the Mountains
JCHS has a great stadium with a visitors section ( love to see them walk all the way around the field to get there lol) fire works (after our many many touchdowns), and a cannon, yes a cannon and we are getting better at using it (only lost 1 bus and 2 refs last year, man that was a good bus.lol )
I've been to Pikeville''s stadium and although people don't like sitting on the same side as the opposing team, it is wheechair accessible for anyone, and the kids that aren't interested in the game are on the baseball field throwing football or on the playground on the swings, jungle gym, but still within sight of their parents.
Belfry
mrsportsfan Wrote:If there is now a concession building, such as in a wooden structure, they've changed it since I was there a couple a years of go. But that was the set up then.

There is a massive concession stand in the same building where the restrooms and visiting locker room are. It is on the home side on the end of the field where the scoreboard is. The trailer is simply a convenience to the visitors.
mrsportsfan Wrote:I never said anything about a person who has difficulties getting food, and call it what you want it, is a pull trailer that is used for concession, such as for hillbilly days. Your tunnel as you call it, is what makes the game longer, it takes I'd say 30 minutes for that to take place. I will hand the tailgating to you though.
You do bring up some good points about total access for handicapped people, but your argument about TUNNEL TIME taking too long holds no merit. Game time is always 7:30. The tunnel forms well before this and all the pregame activities and introductions are over and kickoff is always on time, and at worse less than five minutes late. I see this every week and know exactly how it is done every time. As for the concessions, forget that. Any time you are there, just come early enough and bring a side dish and we will feed you and whomever you bring at one of the best tailgates around, even if you don't like coming to one of the nicest all-around facilities in Eastern Ky. ha ha. Take care and come join us one Friday nite.
Hands Down - Belfry has the best stadium.

Bell Co, Prestonsburg, LCC, Middlesboro, Corbin, Hazard are all good places to watch a game at.
What stadiums hold the largest amount of people? I know Bell Co seats alot but have no clue how many.
Any football stadium with a track around it should not even be considered.
Intimidator Wrote:Any football stadium with a track around it should not even be considered.

What's wrong with having a track? I like having a track around the field. It gives a lot more room and makes it a lot easier to move around.
BellCoBobcats09 Wrote:What stadiums hold the largest amount of people? I know Bell Co seats alot but have no clue how many.

According to the KHSAA website. Bell County's stadium holds 4000 people.
Hazard's Daniel Field is listed at 4500 people.
From what Ive been told Pikeville might be adding a few new twists to their Pregame activities this year that will definately spruce up the atmosphere but Im not gonna let the cat out of the bag just yet. This I can divulge. Ive heard that there is some talk about when the YMCA gets their pool built up on the hill. The city is gonna fill that pool in and bulid a section of bleachers there for students and the band to sit in.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:From what Ive been told Pikeville might be adding a few new twists to their Pregame activities this year that will definately spruce up the atmosphere but Im not gonna let the cat out of the bag just yet. This I can divulge. Ive heard that there is some talk about when the YMCA gets their pool built up on the hill. The city is gonna fill that pool in and bulid a section of bleachers there for students and the band to sit in.

Not sure I am a huge fan of this idea schematically. Seems like a horrible angle for the students to watch the game from (tough to decipher how much yardage is gained). Plus, those seats will be a good 30 yards away from the field of play when you factor in 10 yards for the endzone. I have always been a fan of the fan being perpendicular to the field around the red zone areas.
I love the pool area. It just adds to the place, something different. If they were to fill it in, I would be for a Large Panther Statue, and a mall type area with plaques, and different things, kind of like Ashland has as you enter the stadium.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Not sure I am a huge fan of this idea schematically. Seems like a horrible angle for the students to watch the game from (tough to decipher how much yardage is gained). Plus, those seats will be a good 30 yards away from the field of play when you factor in 10 yards for the endzone. I have always been a fan of the fan being perpendicular to the field around the red zone areas.
I dont know if theyre gonna do that for sure. Its just talk at this point.
Stardust Wrote:Any photo's of the stadiums?
[Image: http://HPIMO32.jpg]
Blue-N-Gold Wrote:What's wrong with having a track? I like having a track around the field. It gives a lot more room and makes it a lot easier to move around.

Just my opinion , I like being on top on the field instead of 25/30 yards away like when the stadium has a track around it.

I like Corbin's ,Middlesboro and Pineville's stadium the best JMO though so don't crucify me.
Pond creek nation Wrote:Turf is awsome and looks great. But don't you love watching those REAL muddy football games where the field is just a HUGE mudpitt, and the players look like boys playing in an old fashion football brawl?

well said exactly why im glad there is grass at putnam turf woul take away from the historic feel of the place its like the green monster at fenway or ivy at wrigley field just dont touch it
Deathstar 80 Wrote:Just curious, why would teams use turf? It looks good and it's easy to manage, but I read a quote from Howie Long (Hall of Fame defensive end) that he hated turf. Players were always getting turf burns and other injuries from the turf.

The new "turf" is no where near what Howie Long player on. Today's sportsturf is like playing on a nice grass field where as the old turf was like playing in the parking lot with cheap carpet on it.(it had no pading or give and torn you apart). The new stuff is :Thumbs:
1, Johnson central
2, Bell County (Log Mountain)
3, Ashland
4,Letcher Central
5, Rockcastle (The Rock
I totally agree about the announcer part of your comment. Their is nothing worse than watching a great football game with a terrible announcer. Really takes away from the game in my opinion
I may be a little biast.. but I honeslty believe Whitley has a nice stadium.
Anyone else?
lol.
On Friday night former UK coach Joe Hall attended the Hazard-Letcher Central game at Hazard's Daniel Field. This is what he had to say about Hazard's field... "This field is spectacular. The Hazard field is, without a doubt, it's the best laid out, finest surface I've ever seen at a high school football facility."

Pictures and Coach Hall's interview can be seen and heard here.....
http://www.wsgs.com/news.htm
A little bit of bias here on my part but of all the stadiums I have been to the CAM at Belfry is far better than the rest. You have a nice mixture of new age technology and design with a little bit of tradition thrown in.

On a side note, to me again being bias the CAM does not compare to Vipperman Stadium, dark, foggy, eerie, intimidating. There was a certain mystique about that place and once kickoff time came it was ELECTRIC I have not witnessed one game at the CAM that energy wise could compare to a normal game at the VIP.
ROCKSOLID69 Wrote:1, Johnson central
2, Bell County (Log Mountain)
3, Ashland
4,Letcher Central
5, Rockcastle (The Rock

JCHC does have a GREAT stadium. I am glad that someone finally mentioned the ROCK. Ashland's stadium is a pretty good place to watch a game.

The only drawback to Log Mountain is the REALLY LONG TIME that is takes to leave the stadium. If you park there, you better pray that someone will let you out! :biggrin:
Belfry