Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ranking Football Stadiums in the Mountains
Coming soon to wymtnews.com will be a video blog ranking the high school football stadiums in our coverage area. The rankings will include the following:

*Stadium structure
*Seating
*Parking
*Lighting
*Playing surface
*Bathrooms
*Tail-gating (if applicable...extra points)
*Locker rooms

Is there anything else we should consider when ranking the stadiums? Only serious posters please (or PM) and let's stay on topic!

Thanks,
Brian
Student Participation? As far as how rowdy they are, or how much they are involved in cheering on their school.
Jshort5 Wrote:Student Participation? As far as how rowdy they are, or how much they are involved in cheering on their school.

I don't know if student partcipation applies to the stadium itself. Having an involved student section and/or fan base, certainly makes it more fun to go to a football game. I forgot to include concession stands on the original list.
Jshort5 Wrote:Student Participation? As far as how rowdy they are, or how much they are involved in cheering on their school.

I've been thinking. Student participation and/or fan base would involve atmosphere in the stadium. I think atmosphere or a consistent atmosphere should be added for "extra points".
We got ya some good tailgatin @ Belfry... try to make it out to a game and let's see how many "extra points" we gather from gettin your belly full for ya!! LOL...

I do have another to add though... What about band participation? There are several stadiums that I have visited that have a special section for the band members and boosters.

Also, what about the announcer? I personally love listening to the announcers at games. They make it interesting and it shows their knowledge of the games depending on how involved they get!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
Brian Milam Wrote:I've been thinking. Student participation and/or fan base would involve atmosphere in the stadium. I think atmosphere or a consistent atmosphere should be added for "extra points".

Woot! I did something productive during summer...lol
phs1986 Wrote:We got ya some good tailgatin @ Belfry... try to make it out to a game and let's see how many "extra points" we gather from gettin your belly full for ya!! LOL...

I do have another to add though... What about band participation? There are several stadiums that I have visited that have a special section for the band members and boosters.

Also, what about the announcer? I personally love listening to the announcers at games. They make it interesting and it shows their knowledge of the games depending on how involved they get!
i like the idea of tail gatin but if you do then how can your boosters make any money for the team off of food.
bobcatlunatik Wrote:i like the idea of tail gatin but if you do then how can your boosters make any money for the team off of food.
Have a big crowd. Tailgating will only effect AT MOST 10% of the fans at the game, and generally speaking the fans who tailgate are giving their fair share to the boosters anyway.

As for Mr. Milam's topic. I think history and tradition should be factored in. For example:

Hazard's Dog House that they enter the field through
The "Welcome to the Valley" sign at Belfry
The Cannon at Breathitt
The Pike County Bowl at Pikeville
The checkerboard endzone at Corbin's Campbell Field
"The Rock" at Rockcastle County
etc....

When you think of college stadiums you think of Touchdown Jesus, Howard's Rock, the Gator Chomp, and so forth.. so I think it should apply to high school stadiums as well.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Have a big crowd. Tailgating will only effect AT MOST 10% of the fans at the game, and generally speaking the fans who tailgate are giving their fair share to the boosters anyway.

As for Mr. Milam's topic. I think history and tradition should be factored in. For example:

Hazard's Dog House that they enter the field through
The "Welcome to the Valley" sign at Belfry
The Cannon at Breathitt
The Pike County Bowl at Pikeville
The checkerboard endzone at Corbin's Campbell Field
"The Rock" at Rockcastle County
etc....

When you think of college stadiums you think of Touchdown Jesus, Howard's Rock, the Gator Chomp, and so forth.. so I think it should apply to high school stadiums as well.

Good post!!! I can't remember Corbin having a checkerboard in the endzone. Godd ideas for thought! Thanks.
Brian Milam Wrote:Good post!!! I can't remember Corbin having a checkerboard in the endzone. Godd ideas for thought! Thanks.

How about good not Godd. Long day.
Surroundings/Environment. When I go to a game at Pikeville, Belfry, Johnson Central, Paintsville I am ready for high school football. Games at generic places like LCA, don't get me as hyped up.
I AM biased.

But... Belfry is a heck of a place to take a game in. I know it is at the far end of the WYMT viewing area, but I am probably safe in saying that all of us Belfry fans wait up for Overtime knowing that we will have only a couple highlights (due to distance).

Belfry has ==== 1) top notch surface 2) well above average grandstand 3) NOW - very good parking (at school and baseball field) 4) one of the best programs in the moutains 5) one of the best coaches in the state -- possible all time 6) a community that has that "we give a DARN factor 7) people tailgate - respectfully 8) There are quality restrooms for all fans at CAM and concessions on both sidelines for the home team and away.

9) EKU and I both are people who have long left Belfry. We still care! There are many more. It is just ingrained Brian. Belfry football is at the top.
I'll also add "Tunnel Time", the baked goods that the media receives, "Anotherrrrrrr Pirate Touchdown!", Coach Haywood wearing his suit on the sideline, and the fact that since CAM has been open Belfry has reached the State Semi's every season.
Any photo's of the stadiums?
BELFRY no one stadium comes close
THE CAM
http://dwwilburn.com/UserFiles/Image/dww...20(18).jpg

http://dwwilburn.com/UserFiles/Image/Pro...20(33).jpg

http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/att...1222303104 <---That looks like some good tailgating.

Enjoy!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/pho...1_lcc2.jpg

http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/pho...1_lcc1.jpg

LCC Field
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
LCC has a great place for football, it would be right up there with Belfry if they had visitor stands. Still awsome
cougarpride08 Wrote:http://dwwilburn.com/UserFiles/Image/dww...20(18).jpg

http://dwwilburn.com/UserFiles/Image/Pro...20(33).jpg

http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/att...1222303104 <---That looks like some good tailgating.

Enjoy!

cougarpride08 Wrote:http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/pho...1_lcc2.jpg

http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/pho...1_lcc1.jpg

LCC Field

Great Pictures, cp08. Thanks for posting!
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
The cam is awsome, but theres something about old vipperman that made pirate football games amzing
Stardust Wrote:Any photo's of the stadiums?

Here ya go... Smile

And EKU.... I do agree with you about Tunnel time.... There were times I can remember the tunnel being stretched all the way down the field... people double up!!! Barely enough room for the boys to run thru!!!

bobcatlunatik Wrote:i like the idea of tail gatin but if you do then how can your boosters make any money for the team off of food.

Everyone who tailgates brings their own dish to the "party".... Believe it or not, they do still purchase drinks and different items from the concession as well.

As far as the boosters club... There are several different ways that the booster club makes their money. They sell signs for the field (as you will see some of them in the photo's in a previous post), which require a "re-newal" fee each year, they sell ad's for the program books, they sell the program books... I could go on and on.... Tailgating does NOT effect the team funds as far as boosters go in anyway... For that matter, we would put out a "pot" so to speak and collect for the boosters if they were that hard up for cash!! LOL.... We are all about seeing that the boys and program has what it needs yet, we as parents enjoy being able to get together and enjoy a meal with each other before the game starts. Heck, the photo that someone else posted is one that I took of the grill last year during the Pike County Bowl @ Shelby Valley... YEP, we hauled the grill over there and tailgated just like we would have at home...... I'm gonna have to put some new grill pics up soon though... It's been modified!! :Thumbs:

Brian Milam Wrote:Coming soon to wymtnews.com will be a video blog ranking the high school football stadiums in our coverage area. The rankings will include the following:

*Stadium structure
*Seating
*Parking
*Lighting
*Playing surface
*Bathrooms
*Tail-gating (if applicable...extra points)
*Locker rooms

Is there anything else we should consider when ranking the stadiums? Only serious posters please (or PM) and let's stay on topic!

Thanks,
Brian
I have to go with Belfry.That is one awsome place.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Surroundings/Environment. When I go to a game at Pikeville, Belfry, Johnson Central, Paintsville I am ready for high school football. Games at generic places like LCA, don't get me as hyped up.

You don't think Pikeville is generic? If they would put some seating on the opposite side of the field it would be better. I absolutely hate hate hate watching a football game at Pikeville. All that open area on the visitor side just ruins it for me. I loved going there pre-turf when they had seating on both sides.
OldTymer Wrote:You don't think Pikeville is generic? If they would put some seating on the opposite side of the field it would be better. I absolutely hate hate hate watching a football game at Pikeville. All that open area on the visitor side just ruins it for me. I loved going there pre-turf when they had seating on both sides.

I would like to have bleachers on the other side, but the pool and the building next to the field with Community Trust overlooking the complex isn't generic.
Top 5 Stadiums in Mountain's I've been too:

1. Johnson Central
2. Shelby Valley
3. Belfry
4. Prestonsburg
5. Pikeville/Hazard

I've not been to Letcher Central's, Bell's, Knox, Whitley, etc.
The top 10 should be something like this.

1. Belfry
2. Johnson Central
3. LCC
4. Bell
5. Pikeville
6. South Laurel
7. Harlan Central
8. Clay
9.Shelby Valley
10. Pulaski Co.
The jumbotron at LCC makes it a contender for the #1 stadium in the mountains.
Just curious, why would teams use turf? It looks good and it's easy to manage, but I read a quote from Howie Long (Hall of Fame defensive end) that he hated turf. Players were always getting turf burns and other injuries from the turf.