Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holmes 2009/2010 Schedule...
Gold Charger Wrote:GRC may be up there at the end of the season, but to start the season , I feel #8 is a good place for them. Kendred is playing this year, so that will help alot. But still need to develop the other guards as he will be a senior. Could see some suprise people play the PG position throught out the season. It depends on how certain players would matchup or cause a big mismatch of each individual team.

I think GRC will be pretty solid all year. Getting Purvis back will really help them and take pressure off of Zollo and Rogers down low. If Kendred can be the solution at pg, they will be tough to handle for a lot of teams around the state. Looking forward to seeing them against Scott Co.

I'd also put Christian Co ahead of Warren Central. They only lost one player from last year's team that beat WC twice by double digits.

Christian Co is my surprise team. They may very well end up being a legit top 5 team. I'm looking forward to seeing them against Holmes in the Joe B Hall Kentucky Preps Classic. They're loaded with returning players Wilson, Kates, Hickey, Lewis, and Mcduffen.
kywldcat01 Wrote:I think GRC will be pretty solid all year. Getting Purvis back will really help them and take pressure off of Zollo and Rogers down low. If Kendred can be the solution at pg, they will be tough to handle for a lot of teams around the state. Looking forward to seeing them against Scott Co.

I'd also put Christian Co ahead of Warren Central. They only lost one player from last year's team that beat WC twice by double digits.

Christian Co is my surprise team. They may very well end up being a legit top 5 team. I'm looking forward to seeing them against Holmes in the Joe B Hall Kentucky Preps Classic. They're loaded with returning players Wilson, Kates, Hickey, Lewis, and Mcduffen.

Purvis will not be 100% when season starts. It takes a long time to heal from the type of surgery he had on his ACL. He still isn't released by his Dr's Hopefully that will be late July. The process of getting back to his old form, is going to take awhile. This I feel should be around mid -Feb. Look for Daniels to really step up this year and help the team. He could be a huge factor in their success.

You could be right about Christian Co.
Gold Charger Wrote:Purvis will not be 100% when season starts. It takes a long time to heal from the type of surgery he had on his ACL. He still isn't released by his Dr's Hopefully that will be late July. The process of getting back to his old form, is going to take awhile. This I feel should be around mid -Feb. Look for Daniels to really step up this year and help the team. He could be a huge factor in their success.

You could be right about Christian Co.

Didn't Purvis tear his ACL over the summer last year? Seems like this has been an usually long process for him to getting back to normal. When will he be cleared to play?
kywldcat01 Wrote:Didn't Purvis tear his ACL over the summer last year? Seems like this has been an usually long process for him to getting back to normal. When will he be cleared to play?

He tore it in late Nov, right before the season was to start, had surgery in Dec. So it has only been 7 months since the surgery. Hopefully he will be cleared sometime this month.

It was Zollo that broke his leg last summer.
Gold Charger Wrote:He tore it in late Nov, right before the season was to start, had surgery in Dec. So it has only been 7 months since the surgery. Hopefully he will be cleared sometime this month.

It was Zollo that broke his leg last summer.

I know Zollo broke his leg last summer.

I didn't know exactly when Purvis had surgery which is why I thought it was taking a little longer than normal for him to come back. Why did they wait a month later to do surgery if he tore it in November? That doesn't make much sense.
kywldcat01 Wrote:I know Zollo broke his leg last summer.

I didn't know exactly when Purvis had surgery which is why I thought it was taking a little longer than normal for him to come back. Why did they wait a month later to do surgery if he tore it in November? That doesn't make much sense.

It was very late Nov. Something like the 24th. Had to wait till swelling went down before they could do the surgery, about 10 days, which put it in Dec. So, No he didn't wait a month to have surgery. He tore it like 4 days before GRC'S first scrimmage. I know he tore it on a Tuesday, and scrimmage I believe was on Friday.
Gold Charger Wrote:It was very late Nov. Something like the 24th. Had to wait till swelling went down before they could do the surgery, about 10 days, which put it in Dec. So, No he didn't wait a month to have surgery. He tore it like 4 days before GRC'S first scrimmage. I know he tore it on a Tuesday, and scrimmage I believe was on Friday.

I see...thanks for the info. That makes a little more sense now.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Purvis matches up with Holmes front line when they scrimmage. I've heard great things about him.
kywldcat01 Wrote:I see...thanks for the info. That makes a little more sense now.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Purvis matches up with Holmes front line when they scrimmage. I've heard great things about him.

don't expect too much, as I stated before , he won't be 100% till Feb.
kywldcat01 Wrote:I see...thanks for the info. That makes a little more sense now.

I project Holmes having their way with them. With Purvis not being 100% and Holmes' athleticism, GRC will struggle.

Holmes is the type of team that exposes GRC's weaknesses. GRC's only hope is to keep it a half court game, if this happens, they could do the same thing that Boone Co. did to Holmes twice last season. Pack it in and make them shoot from the perimeter and limit their penetration.

GRC has the bodies to rebound with Holmes, all they have to do is limit their scoring (sounds obvious but that is what Boone Co. did). Holmes is beatable if the the opposing team has the bodies to keep the Holmes trio off the offensive boards. They don't shoot that well from the outside and their strength is slashing to the basket and hitting the boards strong when they miss a shot.
goodguy Wrote:I project Holmes having their way with them. With Purvis not being 100% and Holmes' athleticism, GRC will struggle.

Holmes is the type of team that exposes GRC's weaknesses. GRC's only hope is to keep it a half court game, if this happens, they could do the same thing that Boone Co. did to Holmes twice last season. Pack it in and make them shoot from the perimeter and limit their penetration.

GRC has the bodies to rebound with Holmes, all they have to do is limit their scoring (sounds obvious but that is what Boone Co. did). Holmes is beatable if the the opposing team has the bodies to keep the Holmes trio off the offensive boards. They don't shoot that well from the outside and their strength is slashing to the basket and hitting the boards strong when they miss a shot.

I don't know about Holmes having their way with GRC, but I agree they should be too much for them because of their athleticism and length both offensively and defensively.

Holmes is a better perimeter team than you're giving them credit for though. Rico, JJ, Pittman, and Arnold all shot over 30% from the arc last year. That's pretty solid considering they're all 6'5 or taller. I agree though that if you force them to play a half court game it will benefit you, but as you saw in the Boone game, when they packed it it, Holmes KILLED them on the glass. Teams don't try to zone Holmes much because they always get burnt on the offensive glass and when you have a kid like Pittman down low with 86 inches of wingspan, it makes it kinda tough, regardless of how much size you have down there.

GRC reminds me a lot of Franklin Co from last year and Holmes absolutely torched them on the offensive glass and from outside. They just don't match up well with Holmes because of the ability of all 5 players to be able to handle the rock. I'd expect to see these match ups:

(Assuming Avery doesn't end up at Holmes...nobody knows what he's doing yet)

6'0 Mayfield v 5'9 Kendred
6'5 R. Johnson v 6'4 Stenzel
6'5 J. Johnson v 6'4 Rogers
6'6 Rice v 6'6 Purvis
6'8 Pittman v 6'9 Zollo

Zollo, IMO, will be in a world of trouble if he has to guard Pittman...he just isn't quick enough to guard him off the dribble.
kywldcat01 Wrote:I don't know about Holmes having their way with GRC, but I agree they should be too much for them because of their athleticism and length both offensively and defensively.

Holmes is a better perimeter team than you're giving them credit for though. Rico, JJ, Pittman, and Arnold all shot over 30% from the arc last year. That's pretty solid considering they're all 6'5 or taller. I agree though that if you force them to play a half court game it will benefit you, but as you saw in the Boone game, when they packed it it, Holmes KILLED them on the glass. Teams don't try to zone Holmes much because they always get burnt on the offensive glass and when you have a kid like Pittman down low with 86 inches of wingspan, it makes it kinda tough, regardless of how much size you have down there.

GRC reminds me a lot of Franklin Co from last year and Holmes absolutely torched them on the offensive glass and from outside. They just don't match up well with Holmes because of the ability of all 5 players to be able to handle the rock. I'd expect to see these match ups:

6'6 Rice v 6'6 Purvis
6'8 Pittman v 6'9 Zollo

Zollo, IMO, will be in a world of trouble if he has to guard Pittman...he just isn't quick enough to guard him off the dribble.

One thing GRC has is size and strength, Rogers and Zollo on the boards, if they are disciplined and box Pittman out he has the tendency to reach and go over the back, thus getting himself in foul trouble.

Yes, JJ, Rico, Pittman and Arnold may have shot over 30% from the 3 point arc, but the majority of the outside shooting was done by Riley, Johnson and Ousley. They were Holmes' true threat from outside.

I agree Zollo isn't quick enough to guard Pittman from the wing, nor are any of the other GRC defenders when it comes to guarding Rico & JJ from the wing. That's why you pack it in and protect the board.

Teams that do this will have a chance at beating Holmes next year.
kywldcat01 Wrote:I don't know about Holmes having their way with GRC, but I agree they should be too much for them because of their athleticism and length both offensively and defensively.

6'6 Rice v 6'6 Purvis
6'8 Pittman v 6'9 Zollo

Kindred ia more like 6'1 or 2. Purvis is 6'8. I could see Daniels getting to play alot against Holmes...most athletic kid GRC has. .

GRC never does well in early scrimmages or games. I too can see Holmes having thier way with GRC in the early scrimmage. Now come State Tourney time...you will see a different GRC team, if they all stay healthy.
Gold Charger Wrote:Kindred ia more like 6'1 or 2. Purvis is 6'8. I could see Daniels getting to play alot against Holmes...most athletic kid GRC has. .

GRC never does well in early scrimmages or games. I too can see Holmes having thier way with GRC in the early scrimmage. Now come State Tourney time...you will see a different GRC team, if they all stay healthy.

Not being critical but you keep on making excuses for GRC, "they are missing players", they don't play well early in the season", "they have kids that are hurt", "this one is transferring" "this one might play", "coach is playing the young kids" "coach is trying out different combinations" etc.

GRC is no different than any team out there, acutally they are better off than most; how many teams in the state have the talent or hyped talent that GRC has?

Every team out there has kids not playing, has kids hurt, coach trying new combinations and naturally don't play as well at the beginning of the season. Why the pessimism?

Either they are great, good or not so good. Make a stance.:biggrin:
goodguy Wrote:Not being critical but you keep on making excuses for GRC, "they are missing players", they don't play well early in the season", "they have kids that are hurt", "this one is transferring" "this one might play", "coach is playing the young kids" "coach is trying out different combinations" etc.

GRC is no different than any team out there, acutally they are better off than most; how many teams in the state have the talent or hyped talent that GRC has?

Every team out there has kids not playing, has kids hurt, coach trying new combinations and naturally don't play as well at the beginning of the season. Why the pessimism?

Either they are great, good or not so good. Make a stance.:biggrin:

Not making excuses, just stating what I have seen of them.
Gold Charger Wrote:Kindred ia more like 6'1 or 2. Purvis is 6'8. I could see Daniels getting to play alot against Holmes...most athletic kid GRC has. .

I remember someone saying Kendred was only around 5'9...?

Also, Purvis isn't 6'8...he is 6'6 at best. I saw him earlier this summer and he is no where near as big as Zollo. think you may be exaggerating a bit with his height.

Also, couldn't your last comment be said about every other school around the state? Almost all teams are better at the end of the season than they were at the beginning. I agree though that as long as they stay healthy and continue to progress, they should be tough come tournament time....but so will all the other contenders such as Scott Co, Holmes, Eastern, Christian Co, Lexcath, and Warren Central...to name a few.
goodguy Wrote:One thing GRC has is size and strength, Rogers and Zollo on the boards, if they are disciplined and box Pittman out he has the tendency to reach and go over the back, thus getting himself in foul trouble.

Yes, JJ, Rico, Pittman and Arnold may have shot over 30% from the 3 point arc, but the majority of the outside shooting was done by Riley, Johnson and Ousley. They were Holmes' true threat from outside.

I agree Zollo isn't quick enough to guard Pittman from the wing, nor are any of the other GRC defenders when it comes to guarding Rico & JJ from the wing. That's why you pack it in and protect the board.

Teams that do this will have a chance at beating Holmes next year.

Sure GRC has size and strength, but Pittman, Rico, and JJ are alot stronger down low than they're given credit for....especially Pittman. I watched him push around the Isler kid from Covcath and he isn't very small. (6'4 235)

As far as Holmes outside shooting goes, Riley, R. Johnson, and Pittman attempted the most 3's for them last year...Housley and DJ rarely attempted but when they did, they were very efficient. If teams try to pack it in against Holmes, RJ, JJ, Pittman, and even Arnold all have the ability to burn them. Just ask Highlands who left Arnold wide open 3 times in a row last year, only to be burned all 3 times and find themselves down 7 after having a 2 point lead.

The key to beating Holmes next year is being patient on offense and working for good shots...the longer you can keep the ball out of their hands, the better. If you give Holmes a lot of offensive possessions, you're going to find yourself down double digits real quick...see Scott Co, Lexcath, Christian Co, Elliott Co, and Bryan Station...all tried running with Holmes and forcing things and found themselves behind quick. Holmes is too gifted offensively and too good defensively to give them extra opportunities at the offensive end.
In the Marshall Co Hoopfest, Holmes will meet Gary (Ind.) Bowman Academy on December 5th at 6:30.

So as of right now, Holmes non conference schedule is:

12-5-09 Marshall Co Hoopfest v Gary (Ind.) Bowman Academy
12/17-12/22 King of the Bluegrass
1-2-10 U.S Bank Classic @ Mason Co
1-6-10 v Princeton (OH) 6:30
Joe B Hall Kentucky Preps Classic v Christian Co
Kentucky-Tennessee Shootout @ Warren Central v Memphis, TN
Lloyd Memorial Holiday Tournament