Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Billy G lose his job after this season?
theVILLE Wrote:He won 902 games someplace didnt he

That is true Bob Knight one over 900 games but not a texas tech hel lost his touch... Billy G in my eyes cant recruit, really think about the only one he has recruited that is any good is Patterson and maybe Miller and there was no recruiting for him he wanted to come to UK and was Mr basketball so he could pretty much come anyway...... You got the conference leading scorer las night down 15 or so with 11 minutes to go and sit him down until 3 minutes to go in the game down 25.... he could got hurt for no reason... I dont understand... Should we fire him...HIT THE ROAD JACK, but who would we get...nobody wantns to come to UK with all the criticism right now....
he did win a lot of games, but what did he do in Texas? No Thanks..... He is washed up you can keep him........

I am gonna wait and see what Billy G does when he has a team of his players, before I call for his head...haha..... But I still don't understand him sometimes.....
TATE_64 Wrote:he did win a lot of games, but what did he do in Texas? No Thanks..... He is washed up you can keep him........

I am gonna wait and see what Billy G does when he has a team of his players, before I call for his head...haha..... But I still don't understand him sometimes.....

:Thumbs:
I agree completely with you and Tate_64 here on this one but you have to say that his first 2 years nothing happend they have actually went down hill... though... I dont see why you should call for his head
figure of speech...haha..... A lot of people already want him gone... I want to see how he does with his players before I would go that far...haha....
MisterPerfect Wrote:Billy G. is not going anywhere!

You are right again :Thumbs:
Coach Billy G will be here for a while. im gonna sit back and wait till he gets the people he recruits in and then i will debate on what kind of coach he is.
fanatic11 Wrote:Coach Billy G will be here for a while. im gonna sit back and wait till he gets the people he recruits in and then i will debate on what kind of coach he is.

:Thumbs:
UK basketball is the greatest basketball in the world. People from one end of this state to the other live and die with this team. Coaches of this team in the past include some of the greatest to ever coach the college game. We have been blessed with tradition that is second to none. Having said that, look at our situation right now. Teams in the past have had identities, the last two years we have had no identity. I know Billy G is only in his second year, but look at all the things we have went through in that short of time. On the current roster he is responible for 9 out of the 15. Now that is roughly 66% of the roster. Now out of the 6 he didn't bring to UK, he plays 4 of them the majority of the game. Now this poses the question, if he was supposed to bring in this major upgrade in talent, why isn't it showing in more minutes for his nine out on the court? Answer: because he constricts the game so much that unless you are on the talent level of Meeks or Patterson, you can't produce on a consistent basis. Another thing that has troubled me since the Tubby days. Numerous times people were to critical of the lack of points Tubby's teams were scoring. Fact: The lowest scoring Tubby team still averaged more points a game than the Highest BIlly G team ever did, until this season. I don't believe we should have fired Tubby, Tubby had his teams prepared and ready for every game. We were competitive with the likes of Duke, North Carolina, and UCONN, even when we were losing ten games a year. Can anyone honestly see us in the near future competeing with any of them. I love UK, but I really feel Billy G is not the answer we were looking for.
How in the **** can you compare what this dip**** is doing to the basketball program to what Rich Brooks has done with the football team. UK football has never mattered, not in the nation, not even in this state. Yeah Im glad to see the football team turned around, but gillispie is destroying UK basketball. You people still saying look what he did at A&M and UTEP is killing me. He didnt do anything special, yeah it might have been for those teams but this is UK people. I never expected him to win championships and anyone that did is nuts, I would just like to see someone that actually knows how to coach and cares about and coaches every game like it means something because it does. Anyone that thinks the regular season doesnt matter is stoned. Did you forget that how u perform in the regular season impacts how and where you are seeded in the tournament, if the team even gets in. Gillispie needs run out of here like Tubby was, UK should apologize to Tubby and then bring in someone with UK ties, not some ignorant sob from texas that has no knowledge of tradition at UK.
Sports_Fan28 Wrote:How in the **** can you compare what this dip**** is doing to the basketball program to what Rich Brooks has done with the football team. UK football has never mattered, not in the nation, not even in this state. Yeah Im glad to see the football team turned around, but gillispie is destroying UK basketball. You people still saying look what he did at A&M and UTEP is killing me. He didnt do anything special, yeah it might have been for those teams but this is UK people. I never expected him to win championships and anyone that did is nuts, I would just like to see someone that actually knows how to coach and cares about and coaches every game like it means something because it does. Anyone that thinks the regular season doesnt matter is stoned. Did you forget that how u perform in the regular season impacts how and where you are seeded in the tournament, if the team even gets in. Gillispie needs run out of here like Tubby was, UK should apologize to Tubby and then bring in someone with UK ties, not some ignorant sob from texas that has no knowledge of tradition at UK.

well put
Stardust Wrote::1:
Smartest comment ever on BGR regarding the Billy Clyde debate! :Thumbs:

:notworthy

he made a fair quote maybe.But the smartest on BGR ..NOTa child could have made that quote
EKY_Basketball Wrote:UK basketball is the greatest basketball in the world. People from one end of this state to the other live and die with this team. Coaches of this team in the past include some of the greatest to ever coach the college game. We have been blessed with tradition that is second to none. Having said that, look at our situation right now. Teams in the past have had identities, the last two years we have had no identity. I know Billy G is only in his second year, but look at all the things we have went through in that short of time. On the current roster he is responible for 9 out of the 15. Now that is roughly 66% of the roster. Now out of the 6 he didn't bring to UK, he plays 4 of them the majority of the game. Now this poses the question, if he was supposed to bring in this major upgrade in talent, why isn't it showing in more minutes for his nine out on the court? Answer: because he constricts the game so much that unless you are on the talent level of Meeks or Patterson, you can't produce on a consistent basis. Another thing that has troubled me since the Tubby days. Numerous times people were to critical of the lack of points Tubby's teams were scoring. Fact: The lowest scoring Tubby team still averaged more points a game than the Highest BIlly G team ever did, until this season. I don't believe we should have fired Tubby, Tubby had his teams prepared and ready for every game. We were competitive with the likes of Duke, North Carolina, and UCONN, even when we were losing ten games a year. Can anyone honestly see us in the near future competeing with any of them. I love UK, but I really feel Billy G is not the answer we were looking for.

We complained that Tubby could not bring in the top players in the country like the programs listed above, now we are saying the same thing about BCG. Maybe the top recruits in the country DO NOT want to come here. Yes, UK basketball is the greatest Basketball in the World (if you live in the State of Kentucky), but you do not here the clamor for UK basketball from the blue chip players. Don't beleive me, go to Rivals, Scout, etc... and stay up with wha the kids are saying. yes, they all list UK, but that is because UK is recruiting them. You don't hear the comments about UK from the top players in the country like you hear them talk about UNC, dUKe, etc... UK fan's won't want to hear this and will be too single-minded to admit, but it looks to me like we are going through a period just like Notre Dame football, where tradition has worns itself.

The recruits are out there. This is not new. We have been lucky t land a single top 10 player every two years, where 10+ years ago that was not the case. We love blue, but it's a different blue that the top players are seeking.
bluebloodedcatfan Wrote:he made a fair quote maybe.But the smartest on BGR ..NOTa child could have made that quote

Well then it took a "child's mentality" to finally post something accurate, because there sure wasn't much else commented like this!
Stardust Wrote:We were not getting the top 100 recruits during Tubby's years, so Tubby was a bad recruiter too. Hmmm, sounds like Notre Dame Football and them going through coaches pretty consistently saying they can't get the top recruits. Well, Notre Dame to recruits is not as attractive as it was 25 years ago. Maybe time has past us by, and the top kids just don't want to come here any more??????

I typically agree with most of your posts, but this is inaccurate. Notre Dame is still landing top recruiting classes every season despite there losing ways. Kids still want to play there because of ND's once great tradition. I'm sure there are kids out there that want to play at UK because of the tradition, they are just overlooked. And i personally think that is something that has been greatly missed at UK for a while is players that want to come here and wear the Blue and White. With the exceptions of a select few, you can tell that UK basketball just doesnt mean anything to the players that we have right now. Sure they might hate losing, and they might bust their butt every night, but they dont have the passion that used to be displayed here.
Stardust Wrote:We were not getting the top 100 recruits during Tubby's years, so Tubby was a bad recruiter too.

Tubby didnt bring in alot of top recruits, and the ones he did he found a way to make them transfer. However, IMO he did bring in what should have been one of the most talented recruiting classes in UK history and was regarded as the best in the nation.
Tubby may not have brought in top tier talent every year, but he got the best out of each player. He had them prepared for each and every game and they had the heart and dedication it takes to compete and win at UK. He was the best at getting his player motivated and ready to play, unlike what this ******* is doing now. I really think that these players dont care about or like him and they dont care about the tradition of UK basketball, if they did they would be trying way harder than what they do in games, with the exception of Meeks, who gives everything he has every game, but I guess thats because he played under Tubby and understands what it takes to win. Something billy g's so called players dont do. The man cannot coach, cannot motivate, and apparently cant recruit like you all thought he could, because Liggins is terrible and im sorry to say Miller isnt much better. I know they are just freshman, but with as much hype that was surrounding them, you would think they would have lived up to it, but they havent. Galloway is the only one of the players he brought in that can actually play and what does numbnuts do, he sits him most of one game, then plays him 20-30 minutes the next, then back to the bench the next game, and so on and so forth. The man is a complete IDIOT and should never have been brought here to begin with. I say get rid of him and mitch barnhardt, the idiot that brought him here.
If UK loses tomorrow against LSU. BCG will not be here. And they will hire Billy Donavon.
TATE_64 Wrote:figure of speech...haha..... A lot of people already want him gone... I want to see how he does with his players before I would go that far...haha....

Yeah but his players is the ones that are not doing well
Sports_Fan28 Wrote:Tubby may not have brought in top tier talent every year, but he got the best out of each player. He had them prepared for each and every game and they had the heart and dedication it takes to compete and win at UK. He was the best at getting his player motivated and ready to play, unlike what this ******* is doing now. I really think that these players dont care about or like him and they dont care about the tradition of UK basketball, if they did they would be trying way harder than what they do in games, with the exception of Meeks, who gives everything he has every game, but I guess thats because he played under Tubby and understands what it takes to win. Something billy g's so called players dont do. The man cannot coach, cannot motivate, and apparently cant recruit like you all thought he could, because Liggins is terrible and im sorry to say Miller isnt much better. I know they are just freshman, but with as much hype that was surrounding them, you would think they would have lived up to it, but they havent. Galloway is the only one of the players he brought in that can actually play and what does numbnuts do, he sits him most of one game, then plays him 20-30 minutes the next, then back to the bench the next game, and so on and so forth. The man is a complete IDIOT and should never have been brought here to begin with. I say get rid of him and mitch barnhardt, the idiot that brought him here.

Agree completely except I HATED TUBBY he was horrible at recruiting
goBIGblue82 Wrote:Tubby didnt bring in alot of top recruits, and the ones he did he found a way to make them transfer. However, IMO he did bring in what should have been one of the most talented recruiting classes in UK history and was regarded as the best in the nation.
WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!!!! WHAT DREAM WAS THIS???LOL He had one good year in 98 and then he had some decent seasons then adn you watch it fall down since then
Stardust Wrote:We complained that Tubby could not bring in the top players in the country like the programs listed above, now we are saying the same thing about BCG. Maybe the top recruits in the country DO NOT want to come here. Yes, UK basketball is the greatest Basketball in the World (if you live in the State of Kentucky), but you do not here the clamor for UK basketball from the blue chip players. Don't beleive me, go to Rivals, Scout, etc... and stay up with wha the kids are saying. yes, they all list UK, but that is because UK is recruiting them. You don't hear the comments about UK from the top players in the country like you hear them talk about UNC, dUKe, etc... UK fan's won't want to hear this and will be too single-minded to admit, but it looks to me like we are going through a period just like Notre Dame football, where tradition has worns itself.

The recruits are out there. This is not new. We have been lucky t land a single top 10 player every two years, where 10+ years ago that was not the case. We love blue, but it's a different blue that the top players are seeking.

Agree completly with this since tubby arrived the top players dont want to come here... KY players are nthe only ones that want to pllay here.. WHY NOT GET SOME KY BOYS TO PLAY... about 11 10-12 years go players all around wanted to come to UK and when they began to slip a little they didnt want to.. DID IT HAVE SOMETING TO DO WITH THE COACH BEEN ABLE TO GET THEM HERE?????:notworthy
Stardust Wrote::Thumbs:

SIT BACK AND WATCH THEM LOOSE AND THEN IT IS TO LATE NOT EVEN THE 2 STAR RECRUITS WILL COME THEN:biggrin:
goBIGblue82 Wrote:I typically agree with most of your posts, but this is inaccurate. Notre Dame is still landing top recruiting classes every season despite there losing ways. Kids still want to play there because of ND's once great tradition. I'm sure there are kids out there that want to play at UK because of the tradition, they are just overlooked. And i personally think that is something that has been greatly missed at UK for a while is players that want to come here and wear the Blue and White. With the exceptions of a select few, you can tell that UK basketball just doesnt mean anything to the players that we have right now. Sure they might hate losing, and they might bust their butt every night, but they dont have the passion that used to be displayed here.

This is what I meant. Notre Dame used to consistently be in the top 3 in recruiting classes year after year. That has changed, and based on the recruiting class grades, Notre Dame is not showing that they are getting the top players. A top player maybe, but not a core group of players to build around. From what I could find, here is Notre Dames recruiting rankings since 2002:

2009 - 21
2008 - 4
2007 - 10
2006 - 8
2005 - 40
2004 - 32
2003 - 12
2002 - 24

1980's and 90's, Notre Dame went through periods where they had the #1 recruiting class three stright years on three separate occasions. I attribute that to pride and tradition, which appears to not be there now.
If you think about, UK is not the only school that doesnt get as many big recruits that it used to. There are other teams that are going through it as well. Top tier talented players are going to more mid major schools these days and thats why college basketball is getting so much better, you dont have the same teams dominating year in and year out anymore. The talent is more spread out now and thats why teams like Butler are able to beat the teams they have been beating. Also the coaching is better at those schools than it is at UK right now. Recruits didnt quit coming here because of Tubby, so dont blame it on him. He recruited players with heart and players that werent going to leave after one or two years, players that loved the game enough to stick it out and want to make themselves better. Thats why I hate when people ***** about UK not getting 5 star players, not many of them, actually very few stay longer than 2 years and they go into the NBA not ready. There have been exceptions, like Beasley, Rose, Mayo and very few others like them were blessed with the talent to make it to the highest level of basketball. Even if they werent that good, they still thought they were good enough to make it and didnt care about their college team, like Randolph Morris's *******. These players get surrounded by people that tell them oh you are good enough to go pro, forget about your college team and go pro, it makes me sick, because all these people care about is getting a piece of the pie. That, in a nutshell, is why UK and other schools like them are not getting as many top tier players as before. Yeah I know UNC has been getting them, but hes also a better coach than what UK has now. These players see how UK struggles under this guy and they shy away from wanting to come here. You fans are going to keep asking UK to get 5 star players and they are going to mess around and do it illegally and get in trouble, thats the next thing im waiting to see happen with this idiot. Before I finish here, I want to say this about Tubby, he didnt lose to the kind of teams that billy has in 2 years. You all say he couldnt recruit, well why is it that he never lost to teams like billy has, its because he actually knew how to coach and get the most out of his players, something this ******* cant do.
If he has a bad season next year he will be.
theVILLE Wrote:WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!!!! WHAT DREAM WAS THIS???LOL He had one good year in 98 and then he had some decent seasons then adn you watch it fall down since then

2004 #1 recruiting class in the NATION. Randolph Morris #2 C, Joe Crawford #2 SG, Rajon Rondo #5 PG, Ramel Bradley 4 star SG, Patrick Sparks transfer, and two other commitments who never played. This was considered one of the best recruiting classes to come to kentucky, I didnt say that they all played up to their potential.
Stardust Wrote:This is what I meant. Notre Dame used to consistently be in the top 3 in recruiting classes year after year. That has changed, and based on the recruiting class grades, Notre Dame is not showing that they are getting the top players. A top player maybe, but not a core group of players to build around. From what I could find, here is Notre Dames recruiting rankings since 2002:

2009 - 21
2008 - 4
2007 - 10
2006 - 8
2005 - 40
2004 - 32
2003 - 12
2002 - 24

1980's and 90's, Notre Dame went through periods where they had the #1 recruiting class three stright years on three separate occasions. I attribute that to pride and tradition, which appears to not be there now.

I understand that they're not bringing in #1 or top 5 every year, but with the number of elite programs in college football to bringing in top 10 recruiting class every year is still getting the job done recruiting. They also are not located in a state that is loaded with talent like in Cal., Texas, or in the Southeast, but they still manage to get recruits from there.

Rivals.com ESPN.com
2009-#21 2009-#14
2008-#2 2008-#8
2007-#8 2007-#8
2006#8 2006-#5
they will not fire billy g this soon
I think I would like to wait too after the season to say weather or not Billy G will stay or go. In all honesty though Id love to see him go.