Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Russell
44.64%
Raceland
55.36%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell vs Raceland
EKUAlum05 Wrote:WOW! I would have guessed 5000-5500 for that Belfry game... that is a wonderful number for a KY High School game!

I would say that some of the Ironton/Russell games from the 1980s probably had 10,000 as well.
FBALL Wrote:I doubt it.

Think back to some of the old Russell/Ironton games or the Russell/Belfry game a few years ago. There will be alot of people there friday but I doubt its even close to a record crowd.

I would agree. Russell/Belfry is the biggest I have seen. I just don't see Raceland having that many fans. They did not fill their own stands up last year when we played them. I remember because we almost went over there to watch the game. There was that funny smell over there. I still don't know what it was.
That was because they didn't figure in the past few that they would win this yr. is different they are confident I am sure but what they don't know & neither do we is their Devil heart-I hope we get a look this fri.
Devil 58 said it very well.

I want to add something. If you as a football player give it 100% each and every play that means all eleven are giving it 100% on ever play of the game. If you do that and you loose you can walk off the field with your head high knowing that you lost to a better team. If you take a down off here and there you should walk off the field with your head down because you let everyone on the team down including yourself. Yes yourself!

I have a feeling that Russell is going to find a way to win this game against a very good Raceland team. :devilflam It won't be because of the coaches either. It will be the players who make it happen. Russell will step up.
You guys are absolutely correct its that way with anything in life. What we can hope for I think is for the Devils to realize where each has let down or didn't try their best or play as a team & leave that in the field house.
Jeepman Wrote:I would agree. Russell/Belfry is the biggest I have seen. I just don't see Raceland having that many fans. They did not fill their own stands up last year when we played them. I remember because we almost went over there to watch the game. There was that funny smell over there. I still don't know what it was.

If you remember the news, they had a chemical leak at CSX. They sounded the alarms and told everyone to stay inside and some to evacuate. It was about 3 or 4 days before the game I think. I was wanting to be a smarta$$ and bring a gas mask to that game. As it turned out 50% of the people needed to bring thier own chairs. Heck, we needed to bring some more field as well, for one of the endzones.
RUSSELL RED DEVILS
FBALL Wrote:Yeah I can elaborate.

Selfish play and silly penalties and mistakes. Poor special teams play. They just don't play smart. Really should have beat Mason County. Mason County is a good team but Russell was the more talented team even with Bailey out.

On another note. Nice post 58.

thanks for the elaboration. can't wait till friday. its getting closer and closer. between this game and the ashland/johnson central game, there wont be a car in the street...unless they've parked there. wish these games were on seperate nights
I BELIEVE that the Red Devils lace up the cleats and play, knowing that the outcome will last the rest of there life. Russell has not played up to there ability all year and it is now time to play as a team. This team has all the ability just as any other. Ivan needs to take the DEVIL buy the horns and put the BEST 11 players on the field. #44 STORM needs to be on the O-line LT. #50 Stapleton needs to play LB more. He has a ncak to find the ball and has the speed to fill the hole.
Raceland has been preparing for this game since last season. But I hate to see there hot air balloon go down this friday but I BELIEVE the Devils will be ready and will fight with that Devil Pride.
Russell 35
Raceland 27
pitchfork Wrote:I BELIEVE that the Red Devils lace up the cleats and play, knowing that the outcome will last the rest of there life. Russell has not played up to there ability all year and it is now time to play as a team. This team has all the ability just as any other. Ivan needs to take the DEVIL buy the horns and put the BEST 11 players on the field. #44 STORM needs to be on the O-line LT. #50 Stapleton needs to play LB more. He has a ncak to find the ball and has the speed to fill the hole.
Raceland has been preparing for this game since last season. But I hate to see there hot air balloon go down this friday but I BELIEVE the Devils will be ready and will fight with that Devil Pride.
Russell 35
Raceland 27

I agree with you in that #50 Stapleton looks very impressive.
I heard that Storm will be running the ball this week!
DevilsWin Wrote:I heard that Storm will be running the ball this week!

Are we going to try to out-power Raceland? From what everyone says, this might be difficult to do. I looked at the stats of their line and they considerably outweigh us across the board with the exception of Miller and Dillon on the end.
We'll see come 7:35pm Friday I guess.
DevilsWin Wrote:We'll see come 7:35pm Friday I guess.

Don't get me wrong. I hope Burgess comes in and runs like Jerome Bettis. I haven't even seen Raceland play...but everyone has me convinced that they are more like the Ironton Tigers than the Raceland Rams! That leads me to believe that Russell is going to need some tricks in their bag (no pun intended)to pull a win out on Friday.
I will take Russell by a touchdown. 28-21
ryanparker Wrote:Don't get me wrong. I hope Burgess comes in and runs like Jerome Bettis. I haven't even seen Raceland play...but everyone has me convinced that they are more like the Ironton Tigers than the Raceland Rams! That leads me to believe that Russell is going to need some tricks in their bag (no pun intended)to pull a win out on Friday.

You've been talking to the wrong people.

As for Raceland's line the only place they have a big size advantage is at the gaurd positions due to the type of offense and speed it requires to play gaurd in Russell's offense. The gaurds for Russell are small for offensive linemen but they are very good athletes and very strong kids.

For Raceland Logan is a monster. 6'3" 250 and very athletic and strong. The Johansson kid is very strong as well at 6'4' 270. Very physical player but lacks in technique and football experience. Other than that I'd say the line play is about even.

You can match size for Russell with Dillon at 6'4" 280 and Miller at 6'3" 280.

The size and strength of both teams linemen will be pretty even. Don't believe everything you hear OR READ. Raceland, despite what some people have said or written, has played a much easier schedule than what Russell has.

Russells Schedule

Greenup County (W 49-13)
Boyd County
West Carter (W 44-9)
Ashland (L 36-10)
East Carter (W 42-7)
Lawrence County
Lewis County
Simon Kenton
Mason County
Raceland

Racelands Schedule

Ashland (W 19-16 in OT)
East Carter (W 43-13)
Fairview
LCA
Greenup County (W 40-6)
Paris
Paintsville
Nicholas County
Russell
West Carter (yet to play)

Common opponents are shown with the result in (). As you see they are pretty similar except for the Ashland game. Which as you well know is by far the worst game Russell played all year long and a huge rivalry in which it was obvious that Ashland was more fired up for. All though comparing scores does not always tell the whole story it does give you a guideline to look at. In this case both teams really appear to be pretty even.

As for the rest of the schedules. Russell's foes (Boyd County 5-3 4A, Lawrence County 0-8 4A, Lewis County 0-8 3A, Simon Kenton 5-4 6A and Mason County 6-2 3A) are a much tougher go of it than Raceland's foes (Fairview 6-2 1A, LCA 6-3 1A, Paris 2-6 1A, Paintsville 4-4 1A and Nicholas County 2-6 1A).

Simon Kenton and Mason County are both far better than anyone else on Racelands schedule. The rest of the schedules are comparable but Boyd and Lawrence are better than anybody else on Racelands schedule besides LCA who is a very good offensive team but very weak on defense. Lewis County would be on par with Paintsville and Nicholas. Fairview and Paris fall in between.

I hope this rambling (no pun intended) helped to understand just how evenly matched these teams are.

By the way, did you tell my little buddies I said high? Feel free to relate this comparison to them if you wish.
We shall see friday night. Might be some people eating words on here..lots of people!! I say Rams got this one!!
Russell can pull this one out...
Russell by 7
jgrubby Wrote:If you remember the news, they had a chemical leak at CSX. They sounded the alarms and told everyone to stay inside and some to evacuate. It was about 3 or 4 days before the game I think. I was wanting to be a smarta$$ and bring a gas mask to that game. As it turned out 50% of the people needed to bring thier own chairs. Heck, we needed to bring some more field as well, for one of the endzones.

I actually thought it was those goat burgers they were cooking. Maybe that was Russell cooking the goat burgers.
Jeepman Wrote:I actually thought it was those goat burgers they were cooking. Maybe that was Russell cooking the goat burgers.
"Ramburger" LOL. I bet they're really greasy!
RUSSELL RED DEVILS
jgrubby Wrote:"Ramburger" LOL. I bet they're really greasy!

Goat Ram I always thought they were the same thing.
Now looking at the stats of this years team. Russell has probably the most balanced skilled position players in 3a. We have Abrams,Bailey,Mitchell,Cordle,Dillon,Rice and the funny thing that I noticed was that Abrams has 148 carries???? Bailey has 50 carries Will has 43 carries Cordle has 48 carries? Are you serious? Drew isnt kasey clark or josh gross so quit trying to make him that way. Play with the better players and quit limiting our offense.
I just got through internet surfing on other sites and according to those sites. Russell would have a better chance getting the whole football team including Ivan on the next space shuttle launch than they have at winning this game.

Everyone has an opinion but to think that Russell has no chance at winning is arrogant. Russell has all the pieces of the puzzle to be very good. I think they will put that puzzle together Friday and humble some people. If Marshall can put it all together so can Russell.
FBALL Wrote:The size and strength of both teams linemen will be pretty even. Don't believe everything you hear OR READ.

I hope you're right. I hope the players want this one.

FBALL Wrote:By the way, did you tell my little buddies I said high? Feel free to relate this comparison to them if you wish.

I sent a couple of them messages sending them your regards, but they must have some sort of vow of silence going this week or something. No one has responded and those guys aren't even posting about the game. Not sure what the deal is there.
I am a huge Ram fan, and this game scares me. The offense Raceland has always had the most trouble stopping is the wing-t. The 96 undefeated team almost lost to a Greenup team that they were favored over by 3 touchdowns. The only reason we won the game was because on the last play of the game the greenup quaterback rolled out and his recievers rolled to the opposite side of the field. If not for that they probably beat us. We over persued in that game all night while greenup's backs cut back up the field for big gains. If Raceland can stop the wing-t I believe they will roll big over Russell. If not it will be a long night for the rams.
DevilsWin Wrote:I heard that Storm will be running the ball this week!

Storm will more than likely not run the ball....he never has, and he is about 265
RRDTradition Wrote:Now looking at the stats of this years team. Russell has probably the most balanced skilled position players in 3a. We have Abrams,Bailey,Mitchell,Cordle,Dillon,Rice and the funny thing that I noticed was that Abrams has 148 carries???? Bailey has 50 carries Will has 43 carries Cordle has 48 carries? Are you serious? Drew isnt kasey clark or josh gross so quit trying to make him that way. Play with the better players and quit limiting our offense.

Drew and David both got 12 carries one game...drew had roughly 130 some...david had 40 some....i probably wouldnt give drew the ball either
I've watched every game Raceland has played this year, and they run the ball 90% of the time now. I will go as far to say Russell may throw the ball more than Raceland does in this game. Vanderhoof said he was much too conservative on the play calling last year. He says he will not make the same mistake this year.
RRDTradition Wrote:Now looking at the stats of this years team. Russell has probably the most balanced skilled position players in 3a. We have Abrams,Bailey,Mitchell,Cordle,Dillon,Rice and the funny thing that I noticed was that Abrams has 148 carries???? Bailey has 50 carries Will has 43 carries Cordle has 48 carries? Are you serious? Drew isnt kasey clark or josh gross so quit trying to make him that way. Play with the better players and quit limiting our offense.

Abrams is averaging 7.3 yards per carry. Kasey Clark averaged 7.3 yards per carry in his senior season.
Hey F-Ball!!!! The Rams have been eating some "MEAN CABBAGE" all week. Does that scare you?
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next