Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lewis Co.08-09 Looking Good!
man i havent been to a game all season and last year i was on the field. so maybe ive missed something the past 2 years. maybe you are on to something. but i was just expressing my opinion. and i respect what your saying about bub, that was bull crap. Bub got pulled out everytime he would get fired up, and there was nothing better than watching Bub get fired up..lol
You know, there have been many Bub's come through our schools. They have all been squashed. Bub was a heck of a player and he is one of many who just didn't get treated right. They didn't want him to outshine ole Johnny boy.

Hey, you don't have to believe a word I say. All you have to do is look around you. We are no different than any other schools in the area. We are just not utilizing our talent. In fact, the good ole boys who are here reading this right this very second, have discouraged outstanding athletes from participating because they know from the outset they are at a disadvantage because the don't carry the right name and address.

You lift that burden off these young kids and you'll be amazed at how fast this thing gets turned around.
I would LOVE to see Lewis county get turned around and compete at a high level like in the 70's and 80's.
It's up to the majority of the people to get it turned around. As long as people are satisfied with mediocre play and as long as the good ole boys have a foothold, it will be difficult to turn it around.

You light a fire and get people excited and demand changes, it won't take but a couple of years to see Lewis County kicking arse up and down the Ohio River. Put the fear back into some of those teams who have been laughing at us for years.
How is it done??
First, you are going to have to rally the people from the ground up. Get people on the outside fired up about change. Then put the school board on notice that enough is enough. Provide facts and specific incidents of "good ole boy" involvement. Let the board know that if they want elected/reelected these are the expectations. Spell it out to them in no uncertain terms. In fact, the best way is to recruit our own people we want on the board.

I guarantee you there are more people on the outside than on the inside of the network. You fire those up who are on the outside and the firestorm will run across Lewis County like no other.

It will take courage by all people. I think people are fed up enough to make drastic change. Lewis County shouldn't be the bottom dweller along the Ohio River. We are better than that and we need to let a handful of people know they don't run things any more. NOW is the time to put the GOOD OLE BOYS out of business. Now is the time we take back our pride and self dignity. Now is the time we open our eyes. Now is the time our VOICES should be heard clearly, loudly and in unity.
make it happen cap'n
The ground work is being laid.

Everyone who wants to turn this around needs to start talking about change.

Everyone needs to help push the snow ball over the peak.

Once it gets started it can't be stopped.

There's a choice to be made. Either allow the "good ole boys" continue to run us in the ground and make us the laughing stalk up and down the river or we get on board and demand things change for the good of all LIONS or all people, regardless of their name and address.

RISE UP AND TAKE BACK OUR TEAMs AND OUR DIGNITY! RISE UP AND BE HEARD!
Just think about this for a few minutes. We have the talent and the abiltiy to be as good as Elliott and Mason Counties in basketball, Russell in football, and Greenup County in baseball. We have the kids and talent to be as competitive as them in those sports if we do it right way. The right way is for all athletes to be on a level playing field from day one they tryout. These kids aren't stupid. They aren't going to bust their butts getting better when they know a less talented Johnny will get the start because of who his daddy is and street address. We cannot set on our behinds and expect things to change. All we are doing by setting on our butts is paving the way for the good ole boys to do it their way and for their Johnnies.
kranky Wrote:Just think about this for a few minutes. We have the talent and the abiltiy to be as good as Elliott and Mason Counties in basketball, Russell in football, and Greenup County in baseball. We have the kids and talent to be as competitive as them in those sports if we do it right way. The right way is for all athletes to be on a level playing field from day one they tryout. These kids aren't stupid. They aren't going to bust their butts getting better when they know a less talented Johnny will get the start because of who his daddy is and street address. We cannot set on our behinds and expect things to change. All we are doing by setting on our butts is paving the way for the good ole boys to do it their way and for their Johnnies.

This is so true!!!!!!!!!!
kranky Wrote:Just think about this for a few minutes. We have the talent and the abiltiy to be as good as Elliott and Mason Counties in basketball, Russell in football, and Greenup County in baseball. We have the kids and talent to be as competitive as them in those sports if we do it right way. The right way is for all athletes to be on a level playing field from day one they tryout. These kids aren't stupid. They aren't going to bust their butts getting better when they know a less talented Johnny will get the start because of who his daddy is and street address. We cannot set on our behinds and expect things to change. All we are doing by setting on our butts is paving the way for the good ole boys to do it their way and for their Johnnies.

How many division 1 athletes have came through this talent rich county? Name me three in the last ten years. The reason Mason, Elliott, Ashland and other teams in this area are so far ahead of the Lewis County Lions is they have feeder programs which help develope young kids early on. You can't start playing basketball in the seventh grade. I will say our Elem. ball is a complete and total joke. The middle school level has to teach so many dang fundamentals that they spend two years teaching kids the very basic things that goes on in a game. How do we develope our football teams before elementry ball? Raceland and russell start kids out at the k-1 grade level playing flag football. These kids by the time they are in seventh grade have been playing football for six years. They play together from the time they are learning the game on. We have schools who don't even offer football!!!

Name me one feeder program in this county that is worth two cents. Our baseball has been little league for how many years. There was alot of talent that went through this county late nintees in baseball . Multiple 20 win seasons, region run up (got screwed out of a Region Championship on a foul ball). These kids should have been in the right system where they don't butt heads the whole time growing up could have been a whole lot better should they play all-star ball.

Todd Ruckel has done a TREMENDOUS job teaching young kids the games. His AAU basketball team is very competive, the baseball group the same way. That is what it takes. Name me one other AAU/travel/ summer program which developes our athletes. When you do that, then we will have good high school programs.
Really? Well let's just see.

How many good athletes have been tramped on and swept under the rug by the guy who has done this tremendous job?Rolleyes

They should be competitive, they are older than the teams they play! Smile

How many times has he been caught trying to sneak older players into the game? What kind of example is that? We are going to cheat our way to success. I say hog wash.

Why did he sit our boys and play those out of the county. That sure helps our boys get better and gel as a team. Smile

Yeah real TREMENDOUS JOB!!!!!!! The kind we are going to put an end too!:redboxer: :redboxer:
say what you want about athetes not getting a chance. you could not name me one division one athlete oh wait, billy howell, that might have been more then ten years ago, nope that is exactly ten years ago. And how did that turn out for Morehead State. Elliott has Four division one athletes on a starting five. And It is also not like elliott has been knocking the pants off the entire region for as long as you can remember.

The last time the middle school basketball team was competive, who was the coach, oh is his name todd ruckell. You never did name me one feeder program that is worth a crap in the county. When you can name me some good feeder programs then you will be competing in this area. Not when little george gets his butt off the bench.

Wasn't it said that players come out and not try because of their name. When those players bring it in practice then they give the coach NO CHOICE but to play them.

Say what you want, Lewis County will never compete untill they develope feeder programs in any sport!!!

Elliott is good because a man named kevin griffith started a couple kids together when they were really yound, you might have heard of a few of them. Ethan Faulknet, Even Falkner, Johnathon Ferguson, Timmy Knipp. Them are all DIVISION ONE athletes.

How many games a year do you think they play. I bet they play over 120 each year. Well i know do that. AAU allows high school to compete in a state tournament at the KBA, did we go!!! NO, we don't have kids that want to put the time and effort into getting better!How many has our basketball players played not affiliated with high school summer camps. In this day and age, you can not compete with just doing what KHSAA allows high school teams to play. AAU is where players are developed!!!
You are making my point for me. Feeder program is code word for the "good ole boy" and the Johnnies that play in them.

AAU is another code word for the "good ole boy" network. They don't do nothing but cherry pick the players.

You don't have a clue as to how many studs walked away from athletics because they knew they couldn't compete against Johnnies dad's name and street address.

Having D-1 players is not an indication on how good a program is. Most teams don't have D-1 players.

They are good because they put the best players on the field/court regardless of name and socio-economic status, etc.....Hence, good ole boys.

Are you starting to SEE the theme here?

Lewis County athletics has turned in to who has the most coin instead of who is the best athlete.

As far as coaches playing the best athlete's that is pure hog wash and you know it is!

WAKE UP!!!!!!!!
how am i making your point for you, WE DON"T HAVE FEEDER PROGRAMS. it is not who participates in them when we have ZERO OF THEM. Yes i agree lewis county hall ways are just a who's who of STUD athletes. HAHA We had just enough last year to field a football team. You got someone from out of county and they run him off.

You say that we should be competing with the elliott and mason in basketball. And i asked you how many division one athletes did we have. How many do they have. You have to have athletes to compete. When we start to develope thiese kids in the fourth grade and lower levels then we will compete.

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ATHLETES YOU CAN NOT COMPETE!!! that is where your MASON (year in and year out) ELLIOTT (last two years, and three to four years in future), RUSSELL, ASHLAND, ROWAN, WEST CARTER, EAST CARTER. ALl of these schools have feeder progras that are second to none in the sport they excell in. WHEN WE DEVELOPE feeder programs that teach kids the basics then you can compete.

IN the past eight years mason has produced division one athletes, that is why that they are good. Lets name a few

Harry Lewis (went to UNC to play football, transferred to UL, played for horseman)
Dustin Grutza (Starting QB for UC bearcats
Chris Loften (ALL SEC)
Darious Miller (UK SIGNEE)
these are athletes that are competing ON THE NATIONAL level. Don't say we have athletes walking in our halls that are on the same caliber as them.

If you can't name me three division one athletes, name me ten kids who play college ball in any sport.

Cory liles, (nku) Tj Lykins (KCU), zach Harrison (ohio southern) Jana Hughes (my sister, KCU NOW st. Cathrenes) there is a start.

WHEN YOU DEVELOPE ATHLETES YOU WILL COMPETE WITH OTHER TEAMs. IF WE NEED BETTER FEEDER PROGRAMS STEP UP AND VOLENTEER AND HELP OUT.

I am not affiliated with anyone at the school,actually coach a middle school in Lawrence County we have 49 kids 6-8 and we compete with Johnson central, rose hill, ashland, and any other school. We start them very young and by the time we are middle school age, we know fundimentals. How is your girls basketball program going!...
BTW, this isn't about the kids. This is about the "good ole boys (GOBs)" who refuse to keep their big noses out of athletics because they know their little Johnny boys can't compete on a level playing field.

The fact remains, Lewis County has enough quality athletes that if given a realistic chance to compete can and will be as good as any team in the area.

The GOBs need to hit the road! See ya later alligator you ain't wanted here any more. Take a hike once and for all.
Lawrence County? What and how do you know anything about Lewis County? Is someone whispering in your ear? Is this person part of the problem or a GOB?

How many traveling teams do you think we had this year?

You'll definitely hear from me. That you can guarantee. I'm going to make life miserable for some folks.
kranky Wrote:You are making my point for me. Feeder program is code word for the "good ole boy" and the Johnnies that play in them.

AAU is another code word for the "good ole boy" network. They don't do nothing but cherry pick the players.

You don't have a clue as to how many studs walked away from athletics because they knew they couldn't compete against Johnnies dad's name and street address.

Having D-1 players is not an indication on how good a program is. Most teams don't have D-1 players.

They are good because they put the best players on the field/court regardless of name and socio-economic status, etc.....Hence, good ole boys.

Are you starting to SEE the theme here?

Lewis County athletics has turned in to who has the most coin instead of who is the best athlete.

As far as coaches playing the best athlete's that is pure hog wash and you know it is!

WAKE UP!!!!!!!!

your idea of a feeder program is not a feeder program. You say the kids the play in the feeder programs are good ole boys kids. A feeder program teaches basics. DRIBBLING, SHOOTING, LAY ups. heck we got sixth grade teams in this county that does not know how to do that. Start you up an AAU team and compete with your stud athletes, see if you can compete on a local level. WHEN OUR KIDS HIT MIDDLE SCHOOL THEY ARE TOO FAR BEHIND TO CATCH UP!!!
I don't care who you are don't be putting our athletes down.I don't care who's children they are I won't stand for it.Every last single one of them are good kids. And yes some of them can play ball.
kranky Wrote:Lawrence County? What and how do you know anything about Lewis County? Is someone whispering in your ear? Is this person part of the problem or a GOB?

How many traveling teams do you think we had this year?

You'll definitely hear from me. That you can guarantee. I'm going to make life miserable for some folks.

lets see, i played on three district champion basketball teams for lewis county, four region baseball teams. My sister probably was the best girls player to come through the system in ten years. A 1000 point scorer who did not play high school untill her freshman year. my cousin is a multi-sport coach there, uncle on the football staff, college roommate on the staff, Referrees alot of your local traveling teams, how are you connected to the program.

Oh, all distict basketball two years, all maysville area second team my senior year, honorable mention all ashland area. NEVER MISSED ONE PRACTICE my entire high school career any sport.

Don't tell me i know nothing about what is going on in the county, how are you connected to these teams.

If i remember it was our basketball team that laid the foundation for this post season success. Lets recall a few of them..

2000 district champs, region semifinalist, lost to boyd in overtime who got beat by etown and antwan barber by three at rupp,

2001 district champs, lost in overtime to greenup.

Athletes come and go through the system, but to say we have the athletes to compete on level you think is hog wash
kybaseball Wrote:I don't care who you are don't be putting our athletes down.I don't care who's children they are I won't stand for it.Every last single one of them are good kids. And yes some of them can play ball.

if you are talking to me i have not put any athletes down, I HAVE NEVER MENTIONED any names, must be getting offensive. Some of them can play ball, that is our problem, it takes more than some to compete.we do not have the numbers/athletes to compete with the upper tier teams in the region. WE WILL NOT YEAR IN AND YEAR OUT COMPETE for region titles.

AND I DO totally agree that they are are tremendous kids that we should be proud of, and i am, but to say we should be competing with the russells mason we need to take off our blue tinted goggles
reflaine Wrote:lets see, i played on three district champion basketball teams for lewis county, four region baseball teams. My sister probably was the best girls player to come through the system in ten years. A 1000 point scorer who did not play high school untill her freshman year. my cousin is a multi-sport coach there, uncle on the football staff, college roommate on the staff, Referrees alot of your local traveling teams, how are you connected to the program.

Oh, all distict basketball two years, all maysville area second team my senior year, honorable mention all ashland area. NEVER MISSED ONE PRACTICE my entire high school career any sport.

Don't tell me i know nothing about what is going on in the county, how are you connected to these teams.

If i remember it was our basketball team that laid the foundation for this post season success. Lets recall a few of them..

2000 district champs, region semifinalist, lost to boyd in overtime who got beat by etown and antwan barber by three at rupp,

2001 district champs, lost in overtime to greenup.

Athletes come and go through the system, but to say we have the athletes to compete on level you think is hog wash

That was a long time ago, we still have good athletes in this county and please don't be putting them down.
Obviously, you and who you are affiliated with are definitely part of the problem.

Your defeatist attitude you can keep in your Lawrence County area.Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes
reflaine Wrote:if you are talking to me i have not put any athletes down, I HAVE NEVER MENTIONED any names, must be getting offensive. Some of them can play ball, that is our problem, it takes more than some to compete.we do not have the numbers/athletes to compete with the upper tier teams in the region. WE WILL NOT YEAR IN AND YEAR OUT COMPETE for region titles.

AND I DO totally agree that they are are tremendous kids that we should be proud of, and i am, but to say we should be competing with the russells mason we need to take off our blue tinted goggles

That's your opinion I respect that. But i disagree 100%
kybaseball Wrote:That was a long time ago, we still have good athletes in this county and please don't be putting them down.

never said we did not have good athletes , i was saying if you understand this or number of athletes are not developed early enough to compete on a region/state level. We are too far behind the eight ball to catch up untill we develope feeder programs that do the right thing. TEACH FUNDIMENTALS!

These other schools who are winning in the new era of sports are using things that are available. Things that are extra to certain sports. SPORTS CITY U, the baseball clinic in ashland KC DIAMOND, summer individual camps, In baseball watch rowan improve, they are ahead by starting traveling teams
(Cave Run Muskie)

When we start utilizingthis new era development tools we will be better. just like the county, we are ten years behind in everything

WE have been working to improve our facilities, but new fields ain't the answer. Lawrence has an indoor baseball complex, they hit catch and throw year around. What did that get them (state runner up in baseball) these are things we have to develope to compete.

I respect your opinion, but it all starts at the bottom to compete year in and year out, that is what we don't have. I am not connected to gob, nor do i think it exist on a CONSTANT basis. This is stepping on their toes also. if it is the case they need to read and develope these things to compete.

IF you want to see true GOB"S in action come down here, we don't have kids that just set the bench we have mulitple kids who leave each year. I promise you, it is not as bad there as it can be2
reflaine Wrote:never said we did not have good athletes , i was saying if you understand this or number of athletes are not developed early enough to compete on a region/state level. We are too far behind the eight ball to catch up untill we develope feeder programs that do the right thing. TEACH FUNDIMENTALS!

These other schools who are winning in the new era of sports are using things that are available. Things that are extra to certain sports. SPORTS CITY U, the baseball clinic in ashland KC DIAMOND, summer individual camps, In baseball watch rowan improve, they are ahead by starting traveling teams
(Cave Run Muskie)

When we start utilizingthis new era development tools we will be better. just like the county, we are ten years behind in everything

I agree we are behind.They are a lot of kids who go to KC-Diamond and places like that to get better. They were as 3 basketball teams who traveld this year and 3 baseball teams did as well. It is not just 1 person doing the job.

I love this county but there is a lot of stuff goes on that shouldn't.I'm sorry but that is the way it is.

I have seen you play coach and ref you were a good player and you do a good job coaching I have no qualms with you.:Thumbs:
And another thing there are several kids being push under the rug like the few post above said.I'm not saying we have a lot of D1 talent nobody did come to think of it.But we should be a lot better than we are. To me it is obvious why were not and i'll let it go at that.
kybaseball Wrote:I agree we are behind.They are a lot of kids who go to KC-Diamond and places like that to get better. They were as 3 basketball teams who traveld this year and 3 baseball teams did as well. It is not just 1 person doing the job.

I love this county but there is a lot of stuff goes on that shouldn't.I'm sorry but that is the way it is.

I have seen you play coach and ref you were a good player and you do a good job coaching I have no qualms with you.:Thumbs:

glad to have this conversation with you, see starting traveling teams is a key to success. Up until the last two to three years we never had that. I gaurnetee when this kids that are fortunate to play on these upper level league will benifit the high school tremendous. I might coach down here, but i bleed lewis county blue. I always try to bring my teams up there to play. i enjoy coming home. You never said anything about being a good ref...lol.. There is another GOB thing!
You are a good ref. Just don't ever connect yourself to the GOB.
kybaseball Wrote:And another thing there are several kids being push under the rug like the few post above said.I'm not saying we have a lot of D1 talent nobody did come to think of it.But we should be a lot better than we are. To me it is obvious why were not and i'll let it go at that.

and there always will be kids not giving a true fair chance. To be honest i was one. I wore the wrong color of green to play in the county. My eigth grade year if i shot the ball i came out. no matter what happened. ED Applegate gave me a chance to play, and if it wasn't for him i would not have stuck it out. . when he took over the varsity, after that i proved that i could do it, but it does happen, not as bad with the head men on top of the ladder now, as it was with earlier regimes...

I have heard this is coach hamptons last year any truth to that.