Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville Spring Practice
TRAIN85 Wrote:I was there to fit all of the kids, and there were close to thirty that got fitted. Some of them that got equipment are not dressing out though because of baseball, which should be understandable. There are twenty if not more eighth graders to be freshmen that are not allowed to practice. Then there are always a few kids that could decide to play by the time the season starts.

60 players would be very impressive...
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Copely has been DC at Pikeville since 2005. Hes running a Power I/ Belly offense like last year. This season IMO this offense will be more effective than it was last year. From what Ive been told hes going to simplify the terminologies and blocking schemes to make it less complicated for the players. IMO this will do nothing but help. Copely will run a 4-3 just like he has been running.

All those years with Chuke whether as a player or as one of his assistants is really gonna pay off for Cope. I think he is gonna do nothin but good things for the Pikeville football program.
Panther Tradition Wrote:I know this thread is not about this but I'm curious about Pikeville's random drug testing. I know Copley is on staff so he could randomly be tested, but what about assistant coaches and others helping who are not teachers?

Good to hear the high numbers coming out and expected with freshmen. Way to go Panthers!

We are also drug tested as assts. I have been through the test two or three times.
I drove by PHS last night and only saw 20 to 25 players. Far from 60!
God of Thunder Wrote:I drove by PHS last night and only saw 20 to 25 players. Far from 60!

Numbers were down last night, but I think baseball must have been doing something last night. Track Meet last night also.
God of Thunder Wrote:I drove by PHS last night and only saw 20 to 25 players. Far from 60!

You saw 20-25 dressed not including the 20 some eighth graders that aren't allowed to practice and the close to ten baseball players that weren't there add in the kids that run track and the kids gone to state tournament and you are getting in the 50-60 range. We also had a new kid come after practice and tell us he is now going to play. The numbers are looking good and looking up from where I stand.
TRAIN85 Wrote:You saw 20-25 dressed not including the 20 some eighth graders that aren't allowed to practice and the close to ten baseball players that weren't there add in the kids that run track and the kids gone to state tournament and you are getting in the 50-60 range. We also had a new kid come after practice and tell us he is now going to play. The numbers are looking good and looking up from where I stand.

How many of those kids are actually committed to playing? There are always 20% more kids at spring practice (than on the season roster) who say they will play! Not knocking the program, but I know for a fact, during the late 80's (the Golden Era of Pikeville Football) kids were virtually guaranteed a ring if they played, and they still didn't. What has changed their minds now?
God of Thunder Wrote:How many of those kids are actually committed to playing? There are always 20% more kids at spring practice (than on the season roster) who say they will play! Not knocking the program, but I know for a fact, during the late 80's (the Golden Era of Pikeville Football) kids were virtually guaranteed a ring if they played, and they still didn't. What has changed their minds now?

Speaking from experience.... 40-45 players seems more realistic, but who cares how many players they have! Good luck to the young Panthers!

Go Commodores!
This happened last year. Kept hearing 50-55 players and there were around low 30s dressed for the games. Expect 35 or maybe at most 40 dressed for the PCB...any more will be a pleasant surprise. We can hope, but still be very skeptical about the early numbers.
Just some observations so far. Blake Branham looks alot better this year at QB. Tyler Baker looks like hes gained some speed which he needed to badly. Trey Branham, Moose Anderson, Ben Staggs, Justin Mullins and either Ethan Murray or Dusty Khoshreza at Center will be the biggest O-line weve had here in a while as well as one of the strongest. On D our linebacking corps might not have the raw athleticism they did last year with the loss of the Honakers but they make up for it with aggressiveness. JR Robinson, Ross Mccoy,and Dylan Conn have all been laying some serious lumber in the spring practices Ive seen so far. This Panther team while a little on the young side with at least 4-5 sophompres that are going to have to produce in order for us to be successful this season will be a very tough come the season IMO. One more thing JR is a FB and not a guard.
TRAIN85 Wrote:Yes, assistant coaches are subject to drug testing and have been drug tested before.

I think that's a great policy for everyone; glad to hear it! Pikeville has a great coaching staff but you can never be too careful with that kind of thing anymore.

Go Panthers!
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:One more thing JR is a FB and not a guard.

Since you are not a coach I would leave the personnel decisions to us. As of now he is a guard with a chance to play some fullback.
TRAIN85 Wrote:Since you are not a coach I would leave the personnel decisions to us. As of now he is a guard with a chance to play some fullback.
Yeah a snow balls chance in Florida maybe LOL!!!Just kiddin.